As a Geneticist you'll be playing around with the fundamentals of life. This is a very technical job, but there are a few simple things those who are still learning the ins and out of genetics can do. The main things you're meant to do: find hidden powers, fix disabilities, and clone people.
For Standard Operating Procedure for this role and other science roles, please see Standard Operating Procedure (Science). As a General rule of thumb, you should always ask the Research Director, or in their absence, the Captain, before giving out powerful mutations, such as Hulk, Matter Eater and No Prints. Not doing so might result in you getting arrested, or even job banned!
Cloning is, at least on paper, one of the main aspects of your job. Bringing people back from the dead is a delicate science, so read on. This aspect of genetics is firmly in the Chief Medical Officer's jurisdiction, and they have the final say on what happens here, rather than the Research Director. A lot of the time, the Coroner or other medical staff will handle this part of the job for you out of convenience, but you should never take this for granted, and always be ready to assist.
For more information regarding clones, see the Guide to Cadavers.
Playing with Genes
Genetic research is the other main part of your job. You will be analyzing DNA and
conduct research mess around with it! To do this, you will bombard a poor monkey willing Test subject with radiation to change their DNA. Playing around with DNA has its advantages, however. While you discover more and more of the DNA string, you will inevitably find powers that will help you and the station. Check the Guide to Genetics for a more detailed list of what powers are and how to get them. You should always listen to the Research Director for this aspect of your job - with great power comes great responsibility, and an overabundance of genetic powers given away to the crew randomly can easily make the round too chaotic to be enjoyable. Please keep in mind that irradiating yourself will slowly make you accumulate toxin damage which, if left untreated, can end badly.
A skilled geneticist can be a very valuable asset to the station. Remote Viewing, if distributed to Security and/or Command staff can be used as a means of quickly assessing the situation when one of them is attacked. Jumpy is a powerful getaway (or chase) tool. Speed Boost is a huge upgrade for Engineering, as it allows them to wear hardsuits and use duffelbags without worrying about the slowdown normally caused by those items. Regeneration is a boon to just about anyone. Cold Resistance combined with No Breathing lets you take a peaceful stroll through space. Heat Resistance can be given to a Plasmaman to let them enjoy
being a workplace hazard helmet-less life!
With the variety of powers at your fingertips, sky is the limit. Once again, make sure to check out the Guide to Genetics and experiment!
Tips and Tricks
Here are some Tips and Tricks that might help you:
- The Genetics Modifier console can spit out UE and UI injectors. This means that if you get a willing volunteer, or even just humanize a monkey, you can run around the station changing everyone into the same person (if you do this without being an antag or having people’s consent, you may get banned).
- If you feel like gambling a bit, radiation has a very, VERY small chance to give non-negative effects.
- Unstable Mutagen gives people affected with it negative mutations.
- Mutadone instantly resets your genetics to the state in which they were when you first spawned - this can be used to remove both negative and beneficial mutations. Every NanoMed Plus vendor has five pills of this medicine, but their dosage is much higher than needed. Ask the Chemist to grind some up, and remake them as 1 unit pills - this will benefit not only you, but all of Medbay.
- Your lab is private enough to do pretty much anything in.
- You may be responsible for cloning, so if somebody drags your target in, you can just throw them in the trash, loot their items, access, maybe even their appearance!
- With the tools at your disposal, you can easily replace people. Just be sure to get rid of the original, and wear the right clothes!
- If you want to sew chaos or just confuse people, stealthily inject them with the SE+UE of another person, and now you've got twins!
- If you have Shock Immunity, you will no longer need Insulated Gloves. You can trick people with this by letting them believe something is not shocked, while it actually is.
- Print a injector with the UE of another person. If security is tailing you, inject yourself with it, and walk past them as a completely new person!
- If you get Hulk, you are very strong in melee combat, and can destroy walls with ease.
- Chameleon will make you invisible while standing still, even if you are currently doing something, like safe-cracking, or strangling someone to death.
- Polymorphism is a great way to evade capture - but be careful not to be confused for a Changeling, as Security will happily beat you to death and destroy your body!
- Telekinesis is very powerful. You can attack people with items, and use basic machinery from far way.
- Print an advanced injector full with disabilities like blindness and Epilepsy, name it "Godhood," and distribute it all over the station. Now, sit back and enjoy the suffering of poor Assistants who plunged the syringe right into their veins, without thinking twice! Be warned, though, this could be a dead giveaway that the Geneticist has malicious intent!
As a Vampire, you'll have it easy! While the blood of the dead, brainless, or monkeys won't count towards your blood count, it'll still satisfy your hunger. This can be very useful, and can give you an edge over other vampires, since you have easy access to monkeys for hunger-sating blood. This should make your goals a little bit easier, as you won't be starving should you struggle to find any prey.
Additionally, many of the genetics powers are just as useful to a Vampire.
Since your job already has to do with DNA, starting as a Changeling will be easier then in most jobs. You can easily get a lot of DNA strings with the help of your friendly humanized monkeys. And if you are close to being caught, and need to change identity, simply change into one of the monkey's identities, and you're good to go. Just like with Vampires, a Changeling will benefit from the same powers as Traitors, though they can access the Chameleon genetic power with their Chameleon Skin ability.