Pet Peeves of Paradise

FeiH

9 hours ago, Christasmurf said:

- Botanists.
 ~Ignoring the chef, making no food items and instead mass producing weed or death nettles.

~People who throw all job integrity out the window to let their friends or "kin" into high security areas just because they are the same species or their characters have an in game relationship. (Slimes, Vox, Humans, Vulps. Usually the Captain with their Civilian buddies.)

~Breaks into Genetics to get the small gene, or becomes a Geneticist purely to find the small gene, then goes off to greytide all shift.

- People who break into the Gateway at the very start of the shift rather than rush to the HoP office to get one of the (usual) three explorer jobs.
 ~Causes unnecessary Detective work and also wastes Security's time while they search for the idiot.
 ~Usually ends up electrifying the door so those who try to get in legitimately get shocked when they try to enter.
 ~Can easily get access but decides to break in anyway because they can't be bothered to actually interact with another player.

- Expanding on the last point: People who break into the Gateway while it's bolted and depowered.
 ~Usually, this is during a Quarantine or Red Alert, which both state that Gateway Excursions are not allowed.
 ~This also, usually, results in calls for the AI to be destroyed for being a "Useless piece of junk" for following Standard Operating Procedures and/or their lawset.
 ~Also causes unnecessary Security/Detective work during a situation which requires them to focus on other issues, such as whatever is causing the Quarantine/Red Alert.
 ~Why the hell would you break into a bolted and depowered Gateway after being told there's Terror Spiders on the other side?

/end salt

Also these. one reminds me of my pet peeve of meta-friends.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Darth_Dangermouse said:

One of my Pet Peeves is when people call the AI malf when it won't open a door for them, bonus points if it's on Code Red and The Nukie Ops is breaking into the bridge.

WARNING: SALT

Spoiler

Agreed, it seems like the new thing to do as of late is yelling that the AI is rogue when it is not doing what you order it to do, even if the AI is busy trying to contain a dangerous individual, or dealing with twenty other things.

Oh, you want the gateway open? It's code red, no gateway allowed.  "HALP AI ROUGE" "CARD AI ITS NOT OPENING THE VAULT" "KILL AI, IT'S TRYING TO KILL ME BY NOT OPENING A DOOR"

REMINDER that there IS a human behind the AI. Please have a little courtesy.

• Like 1

This one is a bit new but.

As paramedic, you'll run into many a guy who is in critical or near critical condition.  This is like, you were just in a car accident involving a fence and part of the fence has impaled you and you are slowly dying now.  When I try and put them on my cart they are like "Nah mate.  I'm good.  I'll be okay."  shortly before passing out or something.  Like, yeah right nerd, at least roleplay a bit of a sense of urgency while you're dying.  Don't pretend like everything is fine when you got beat up by a guy with a E-sword.  Bonus points if you are also low on blood and my medical HUD is showing you blinking while I scan your many broken bones.

1 hour ago, Odieman said:

This one is a bit new but.

As paramedic, you'll run into many a guy who is in critical or near critical condition.  This is like, you were just in a car accident involving a fence and part of the fence has impaled you and you are slowly dying now.  When I try and put them on my cart they are like "Nah mate.  I'm good.  I'll be okay."  shortly before passing out or something.  Like, yeah right nerd, at least roleplay a bit of a sense of urgency while you're dying.  Don't pretend like everything is fine when you got beat up by a guy with a E-sword.  Bonus points if you are also low on blood and my medical HUD is showing you blinking while I scan your many broken bones.

that reminds me of my peeve when I used to be a surgeon, and people would refuse anesthesia, without roleplaying the pain involved.

When playing as a borg and people automatically assume you're under Crewsimov or similar variant and give you ridiculous Law 2 demands, then immediately ahelp against you for not following your laws without ever once bothering to check what lawset you're under or consider their demand was overruled by other pressing matters (like doing life saving surgery as a mediborg and some greyshit just wants to loot the OR)

Playing as a miner and you get a mother load of minerals, haul it down to RnD and ask for some minor upgrades to your gear, only be flatly denied, told Research isn't done or they have something else going on. As you stop in the bar to take a break and await Science to do something, you then hear the familiar stomp of a combat mech go past not 10 minutes later.

Also when you mine and are told to come back later or the scientist has an attitude and takes offense to you trying to do your job and get them to do theirs, only for the next miner to wander along to get showered in toys and gizmos for bringing up a satchel full of glass and plasma, and then be told when you get back that they used up their diamonds on other things and can't give you anything till you mine more crap.

Vampires, that's all that needs to be said. Though, specifically vampires and changelings that feed on unmonkeys. (why has this not been coded out but Swarmers and Peacekeepers still get pulls to nerf or remove them?)

When you're playing as blueshield and everyone wants you to do everything that's specifically not your job. From the captain wanting you to arrest the clown for farting in the main hall to the CMO demanding you come arrest the assistant stealing first aid kits cause the HoS won't do anything to the random civs outside the bridge screaming for you to give them all access or find the head of staff who won't answer the radio, has their sensor turned off and is most likely rogue or dead in space somewhere after saying all of five words over command before going silent.

Attempting to customize the engine layout to work better for your needs (compact Tesla, dual singulo, TEG/Super matter refit) only for somebody to just flip the PA on without even checking if the pen is clear or set up.

Trying to atmos and do a project only for a borg/drone/CE to burst in, start ripping your pipes or 'fix it' and inadvertently dumping your super cooled waste loop right into the distro line. *BWOINK*

Playing the good little scientist, max out RnD fast as you can, waste little material as possible and run about the station upgrading anything and everything you can think of to make people's jobs and rounds more entertaining. Never receive anything more than a token thank you. Drag 3 people onto the shuttle and heal them back to full in the sleeper, pass out space drugs and adrenaline pills and any other gadget you could print off.  0 Karma. The next day roll robotics, spend 90% of the round re-reading the wiki on how to make and maintain bots, slap a few new power cells into borgs and hook a few people up with robot limbs while explaining that mining has done nothing so you can't make anything fun. End of round, 5 karma gain.

• Like 1

This is my biggest one yet and I've done it about five times...

• Repairing Skull
  • Bone Gel
  • Hands get dirty
  • Switch to chest targeting to wash my hands (instead of my face)
  • Grab bone setter
  • SLAM on my patients chest because I forgot to switch back to head targeting.  I really wish Bone Setters did 0 damage or at least just didn't smack people on help intent.

It's one of those things you learn through a lot of mistakes and I'm sure my patient wakes up thinking I'm a shitty doctor or something even though I know at least know 4 surgeries by heart and know by memory what all medicine does now.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2017 at 12:41 PM, Chronarch said:

WARNING: SALT

Hide contents

Agreed, it seems like the new thing to do as of late is yelling that the AI is rogue when it is not doing what you order it to do, even if the AI is busy trying to contain a dangerous individual, or dealing with twenty other things.

Oh, you want the gateway open? It's code red, no gateway allowed.  "HALP AI ROUGE" "CARD AI ITS NOT OPENING THE VAULT" "KILL AI, IT'S TRYING TO KILL ME BY NOT OPENING A DOOR"

REMINDER that there IS a human behind the AI. Please have a little courtesy.

Double bonus points when these hypocrites absolutely ignore the AI/Borgs when the reverse is true and the Silicons are trying to get crew out of obvious danger areas or get assistance with tasks that require hands and otherwise beyond what a borg can do (organ implants/transplants, atmos manual valves, doors and equipment with AI wires cut, ect...)

I'm usually amazed at how these people expect silicons to have perfect situational awareness and superhuman reaction times, yet just getting their attention requires everything to and including a sec borg strolling up with a stunbaton to get them to an area they need to be in. Extra double points when these same people who average maybe 30 minutes a month playing as silicons scream and rage on the git when ever buffs or balance tweaks are recommended for borgs or new modules attempt to get added.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2017 at 8:29 AM, Odieman said:
  • Hands get dirty

You can wait until surgery is done before washing your hands. I think the big point is making sure blood contact doesn't occur between different patients. I might be wrong on this but I've yet to give someone an infection like this.

Speaking of, MDs that set Surgeon as their speciality title and yet completely ignore that infection transfer exists and they should probably be wearing gloves always piss me off slightly. I rescanned someone post-op at one point and both legs and a foot were infected, causing a bit of a speedbump in getting out of medical.

This is why I leave spacacillin in both the ORs.

Edited by ParemberKennard

7 hours ago, ParemberKennard said:

You can wait until surgery is done before washing your hands. I think the big point is making sure blood contact doesn't occur between different patients. I might be wrong on this but I've yet to give someone an infection like this.

Speaking of, MDs that set Surgeon as their speciality title and yet completely ignore that infection transfer exists and they should probably be wearing gloves always piss me off slightly. I rescanned someone post-op at one point and both legs and a foot were infected, causing a bit of a speedbump in getting out of medical.

You're right.  When reading the code I thought it was implicated through ANY surgery.  E.L.O. Told me you can have someones blood on you and be okay and I trust them more than anyone.

Speaking of dirty hands, I have this visual problem where if I get blood on my hands, washing them doesn't remove the blood from the sprite unless you put on and take off gloves. It's definitely irritating.

5 hours ago, Odieman said:

You're right.  When reading the code I thought it was implicated through ANY surgery.  E.L.O. Told me you can have someones blood on you and be okay and I trust them more than anyone.

Blood on your hands is fine if it's the patient's blood. Blood from another patient is bad and will cause infections. Washing your hands while working on one patient between steps is not nessecary but it absolutely is when you get a new patient.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 7:25 PM, ParemberKennard said:

In general, it's a good practice to take a second to shove your patient into a body scanner and give them a quick once over after surgery.  It takes only a few seconds to do, and makes sure you didn't forget anything and that no infections occurred.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My list of things that rustle my jimmies.

Medical.

1. When the female nurse with cat ears and a tail gives me the wrong type of blood even after she uses a medical scanner on me four times.
2. When I am put back into the healing tubes over and over, even after I clearly express I have robotic limbs.
3. When I'm hit with a stun baton, cuffed, and pulled to medical by a security officer as Magistrate for "Needing and refusing medical treatment." In other words, having the stuttering disability and being at 100% blood and health.
4. Being forced under for surgery. I'd much rather you take me telling you seven times that I want to stay awake into consideration.
5. Seeing someone who works in genetics with four to five super powers and then seeing not a single person working for security have any.
6. When people heal me rather then the dying person on the floor. I got punched three times. Save the fucking HoS first.

Security.

1. When I'm in processing and all of security refuses to even talk to me. Vore Station has better RP when it come to putting people in jail.
2. When I'm shot with a taser on green without a word out of the security officer's mouth. You can ask me to come with you. You can tell me to put my hands up. Role play a little.
3. When I'm put into Perma and have no integration with security what so ever from that point on. Tell me to make you holsters! Come in and beat me from time to time! The round does not end for someone once there put into Perma.
4. When the detective shoots you six times, cuffs you, and try to put me in jail after I shoot him once with a laser tag gun.

All other work places.

1. When assistance don't talk whatsoever at any point.
2. When I get treated poorly as assistant.  even after I fix up the bar and got every crate I could find it to Cargo.
3. When people jump the bartender's counter when he goes SSD for 10 seconds. 
4. Not knowing what *squish means. Is it lewd? Is it like snapping? Can I as a human go around *squishing?
5. When asking a Vox what pocket there tank is in and they Don't say anything. Well it's a 50/50 chance your not going to have air for a bit.
6. The clown and the mime working together...
7. When people call him zorg and not z0rg.

Edited by Benjaminfallout
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Benjaminfallout said:

4. Not knowing what *squish means. Is it lewd? Is it like snapping? Can I as a human go around *squishing?

*squish is the unique slime people emote. it makes a squish sound. Humans can *squish if they have a limb cut off and replaced with a slime person's. Yes, it is lewd.

• Like 1

Head of Personnels 90% of the time.

Two Cardinal Sins: First being paperwork for paperwork's sake. The purposes of stamps and forms is retain and communicate information over long periods of time. For regular job transfers no stamps are needed, no signatures needed, you just need to ask over the command radio: "Hey is X good for Y". Then you'll get an answer or no response. You break out the stamps and signatures when the relevant head of staff isn't responding over radios (Basically: Look pal, you want your job, you're gonna have to track down your soon-to-be-boss for me) or when someone's getting additional accesses you want to make sure are properly recorded and remembers for later. Like, when someone asks "WHY THE FUCK DOES THE CLOWN HAVE SEC ACCESS" and you don't quite remember, you go to your file cabinet, open the draw and see the transfer letter with the clown and cryo'd HoS stamp and you say: "Ah, yes, the HoS thought sec's morale was low." and then you hear "BUT I'M THE HOS" and then you say. "You're the NEW HoS. The Old HoS cryo'd." People who do paperwork for paperwork's sake slow things the fuck down. There's one HoP who I won't name who is so anal about pointless, fruitless bureaucracy that i've seen four separate riots outside their line and when they aren't rioting it's never empty. You should want your line empty for as much of the round as possible because:

Sin Number two: Not managing your departments. Head of Personnel is seen as an easy logistics job well let me tell you otherwise, Sonny Jim, the Head of Personnel has the second most crucial job on the station. Whilst the Captain manages the Heads of Staff, the Head of Personnel manages the crew.

He was the OG, man. The original Internal Affairs; and actually acts as Human Resources. He checks that the clown isn't dead and is actually trying to be funny, he makes sure the mime isn't speaking, he makes sure the janitor isn't SSD or dead in a closet somewhere and he makes sure that Hydroponics and Cargo are supplying science, the kitchen, engineering, security. Heads come to him going "weehhh i have no chemist" or "wehhhhh my detective got gibbed" and for about 70% of these issues, the Head of Personnel's solution is simple gratifying and that is: Throw more People and more Resources at the problem.

The Head of Personnel should be hiring and supplying new/extra janitors and detectives. He should be helping Medical get their blood bags and spray bottles.The Head of Personnel is able, if given permission  from relevant heads, to logistically macromanage the shit out of the manifest. Do you realise how powerful extra detectives are? In a community where I get ahelps from furious antags who are certain of meta but never take basic forensic precautions, extra detectives are POWERFUL. The ability to hire replacements for turbo-dead or just plain perma-missing personnel is a godsend to a stressed department.

Not to mention, the Head of Personnel is uniquely placed in having hydroponics, mining AND cargo access. If the QM is tearing his hair about points, he is uniquely placed to just SHOWER cargo in extra points. Just... just DRENCH those short-wearing nerdos in points. A Good HoP never had to valid-hunt (first because it's against the rules) because if he's doing everything well, the station should be a well-oiled production MACHINE.

Yet 90% of the HoPs I see just sit there doing fuck-all and making sure job transfers are as agonising as possible and then whine "but i have nothing to doooohoohoohooooooooo" until they eventually get promoted to Captain.

Edited by Streaky Haddock
  • Like 6

Yeah holy shit I'm sick and tired of complaining about the cook to the HoP and he not giving a fuck. A HoP once even told me to complain about the cook not making food to IAA. For fucks sake take care of your department, no other heads try to pull this shit. 

This is why I wish we had a restaurant manager or some Service level job equivalent to the quartermaster. A lot of people say the Bartender is this but I strongly disagree, since the Bartender is either stuck behind their bar serving drinks or out valid hunting. Just having somebody who'se job it was to make sure the Bartender, Cook, Botanists and Janitor, Mime and Clown were all playing nice would be a god send some rounds.

He's also poorly positioned to coordinate anyone. Really that Sub-head role should be given to the Chef and Hydro/Bar/Kitchen merged together into one bigger department. Called *Catering*.

Not that I'm suggesting we necessarily go back to this model, but, what you describe was the de facto standard, once upon a time. The chef had access to the bar and his kitchen, but the bartender only had access to the bar. The bar was also attached to the kitchen, as well.

This stems from Goon and is still a thing on TG; it's really just a Bay thing to break the two off, completely.

The end result of the original arrangement was, the chef, by virtue of his access, kinda had a de facto authority amongst the bar+hydroponics and could easily facilitate requests---also, since he was more important than the bartender, he could leverage that importance in getting extra ingredients for the bartender that the bartender would normally have an enormously hard time getting.

• Like 1

I remember. I think the Bartender is great with his dispensers, but he's kinda cut off from hydroponics if he wants to make things like blumpkin juice, bottler recipes,  cherry juice and stuff like that. I miss what it felt like to be part of a catering team. Although I remember the horrors of never having ingredients as a bartender. I never want to go back to those days.

"The things you can't ahelp but annoy you and probably only you." hm.....

Only one thing:

People walking around on harm intent, so you instead of passing them, you push them.

Annoying as fuck.

• angryeyes 1

1 hour ago, BottomQuark said:

"The things you can't ahelp but annoy you and probably only you." hm.....

Only one thing:

People walking around on harm intent, so you instead of passing them, you push them.

Annoying as fuck.

Guh, especially when fighting a blob.

REEEEEEEEEEE!! CHECK YOUR INTENTS!!

The worst offenders are the ones that'll resort to pushing others over rather than fixing their shit. They make the case for Space Eugenics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use