Pet Peeves of Paradise

FeiH

The tiny things. The petty things. The things you can't ahelp but annoy you and probably only you. Those kinds of things.

My pet peeve is pseudo-japanese or anime reference names. I remember seeing an assistant named Bernkastel a while back, complete with purple hair. Something about the reference irked me, but Umineko is pretty niche unless you're like... Into gorey visual novels. On another server I saw a dude with a name that read like someone's first attempt at an anime OC.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zekken said:

For me it's organics saying they don't need anaesthetics during surgery (but maybe we just have different standards in RP)

That doesn't bother me so much if they scream and RP it well :-P

• Like 2

Janitors who leave the floors wet. Just use space cleaner instead. Blood trails aren't annoying. Having to slow down, or slip, is annoying. Janitors shouldn't be annoying. Their job (cleaning the floors) generally isn't as important as other peoples' freedom of movement. Exceptions: cult rounds, blood-transmission viruses, etc.

Clowns. Their pranks are rarely amusing. Most of the time, they're a waste of space at best. Many of them seem to treat the job as little more than a license to be annoying and mess with people. That isn't what Clowns should be. A clown should strive to entertain everyone else, not just themselves.

Player-controlled pets who steal items, and otherwise act in implausible ways. Bonus points if someone kills them for it, and they ahelp afterwards.

Doctors who don't know how to treat injuries. If you're new and need to practice, that's fine. Use a monkey. Or a civilian. Don't be the person who keeps the HoS under for 20 minutes while you figure out he needed mutadone. By that time, security has likely fallen to pieces.

Mimes who break into everything. Fair enough if you're an antag, but just for once I would like to actually see a mime that mimes things. People treat it as a license to greytide, which it shouldn't be.

Civilians who run into maint as soon as shadowlings are called out, in order to get thralled.

Captains who don't know how to do their job. E.g. run around wearing their space suit on green.

Characters who are IC-racist towards other species. Why would such a person even take a job on a station as diverse as the Cyberiad?

HOPs and QMs who make you fill out forms for harmless, trivial things. Do you enjoy wasting other peoples' time? That's the only explanation I can think of for this.

Security officers who run around with tasers out, especially on green. Inevitably, they encounter a clown, and lose their weapon.

Wardens who insist on riding around the station on the secway.

AIs who bolt upload without a good reason.

Botanists who distribute bananas / banana peels.

Bartenders who don't man the bar, but then scream bloody murder if you hop back there to make your own drink because they are too lazy to.

Anyone who says 'Captain' to the Captain in the hallway. If it was important, you'd have PDA'ed them earlier. "Captain!" requests are usually not something that requires the Captain's attention. Usually, they're just bugging the Captain because the Captain is there, and they can't be bothered to take it to the proper person.

Cultists who get caught 5 minutes into the round, thus ruining stealth for the rest of the cult, before they've converted anyone.

Wizards who try to act friendly. You're a wizard, dammit.

HOPs who go unresponsive 10 minutes into the shift.

Brig Physicians who act like sec officers with medical access.

Chaplains who act like a cross between a sec officer and Van Helsing, monster hunter.

Robotocists who make unauthorized AIs.

Xenobiologists who let their monsters roam free with no authorization or even warning.

Medical Chemists who don't stock the fridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Salt 4
  • fastparrot 2

Man I hate the "DEUS VULT!" type chaplains. Even on normal rounds. Something about their air of validity makes my skin crawl.

• Like 2
  • stunbaton 1

8 minutes ago, tzo said:

LITERALLY EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF

This is so fucking spot-on, I have no better words. Major kudos, Tzo, for saying what so many of us were thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tzo said:

Characters who are IC-racist towards other species. Why would such a person even take a job on a station as diverse as the Cyberiad?

You have to make money somehow. Also, it adds flavour and tension when it's done correctly. I assume you're talking about the people who campaign for genocide against vulps, rather than people who make casual use of epithets like "fleabag" and "toaster".

* Geneticists. Geneticists in general. Geneticists in principle. Geneticists period. Can we remove Genetics yet?

* Civs who try to steal your patient, or people who *demand* you clone someone because it's "faster".

* People who steal the OR's surgical tools. Special place in hell for you.

* MD's/Surgeons who wear the OR's surgical tools on their back. Just as bad, because they run off from the OR and more or less incidentally steal them.

* Atmos techs who take the job, and then run off to go drink in the bar. At least change the scrubbers if you're taking this job.

* People who brutalize monkeys/other things for no apparent reason. This goes double for people who then drag them down the halls.

* Adminhelps where people ask you rejuv them because they died in a completely legitimate fashion (normally due to game mechanics).

* Poly.

* Deadweight CMO's. This is the one head role where you actually *need* to do things (sans HoS).

* Doctors who put IPC's/perfectly cloneable bodies in the morgue.

* IPC's who come to medbay for treatment and then complain when a clueless and well-meaning doctor cryotubes them. Go to robotics.

* Scientists who close the RnD windows because they don't want to take requests.

* As stated above, Cargo making people fill out paperwork for the autolathe or refuse to print tools for civilians.

* Cargo Technicians who attempt to kick people out of cargo during warops, who are attempting to arm themselves/crew members.

• Like 1

wait, I got more

*When all of medical decides that they must work on the same patient as you

*Everyone piling up in the OR you're working in

*Surgeons claiming Operating Rooms

*Chemists who don't make healing chems, work in science if you want to make other things golly gee

*CMOs coming into Chemistry and making chems, even though you're a working chemist. what an ass hole

*botanist coming to the chemistry window wanted a bag full of buckets to be filled with Unstable mutagen.

*come to think of it botany in general

*Being a detective and getting told to scan and area that's been bombed. dont know what you're expecting

*Being told to scan a hole in a wall.

*Lack of communication in security comms 

*Being a bartender working behind the counter and people decide to climb over. this is why you get shot

• explodyparrot 1

Man, it's time to get some poison out, so I apologize in advance for the profanity.

* Shitty CMOs that can't make biomass or SR. This is basic shit to keep Medbay going and if you don't know how to do it, don't play fucking CMO you incompetent hack. Or maybe take 10 minutes to read how on the wiki before readying up for a command role?

* Shitty CMOs that let Medbay turn into a disgusting mess. Have some fucking pride for your department.  This doesn't apply to really crazy shit like Nukies, Terrorspiders, etc, but on a normal shift, keep your shit clean.  When you obviously don't give a fuck, no one else will either.

* Shitty Doctors that pull patients away from me when I'm obviously working on them. I am very nearly to the point where I'm going to start stun prodding these people, and I don't even care if I get arrested for it. This is the fucking worst. Bonus points if it's the CMO.  Super bonus points if I'm the CMO. 

* Shitty Surgeons who hog the tools and then take 10x longer to do surgery than they should, while also have no idea how to prioritize things like IB over broken bones. There is nothing more frustrating than rushing someone to the OR with 50% blood and IB, seeing wannabe House-MD with their fucking deathgrip on the OR then stand there for 5 minutes while the patient slowly dies, all the time thinking to myself that I could have had this done in 20 fucking seconds if they weren't holding the tools. 

* Surgeons who hog the tools of claim ORs in general, regardless of there actual surgical skill. I don't mind as much if they are actually good, but still, this is shitty to do for any reason.

* Assholes who waste Medbay's time with repeated self-harm.  I don't even treat them anymore, I'll let them bleed out right in front of me,.  If you want to play, play, if you don't go cryo. If you need attention, go harass security or something. 

* The doctors who think you can treat people by dragging them back and forth across Medbay repeatedly without actually doing anything. I don't know what is going through their heads, but I see this all the time.  If you don't know what to do, put the person in Cyro so they don't get worse, and fucking ASK on Medical comms. 

* The non-doctors who drag people back and forth across Medbay repeatedly while your trying to chase them down so you can jab their victim with a epi-pen before they die due to the moron dragging them. I get it that if you aren't a doctor you might not know how to treat them but constantly moving them is the worst thing you can do.  If a doctor sees an abandoned person bleeding out in Medbay they'll stop in help, if they see them being dragged they don't know if you are helping them or not.

* Doctors who insist their way of treating is the only correct way.  You know, ones who get pissy because you used charcoal when they think you should have used pentetic acid, or accuse you of 'wasting' cryox because they don't think the injuries were enough.  Worrying about shit like 'wasting' cryo when it takes all of 20 seconds to make a batch of 120 units is just silly, guys. Ditto for the doctors complaining about infection on Nuke Ops rounds or similar inability to not hound their fellow doctors about inconsequential shit in serious situations.

* Anyone who bumps me while I'm trying to use a defib.  Seriously, the patient has 180 seconds from the time of death, every one of them is precious.

* Anyone who drags a reviable patient away from me while I'm defibbing or prepping them for defib. Bonus points if they are a non-clonable race.

* Heads of staff who use the announcement system to address one specific person.  If the Captain needs to tell the CE something, that's what fucking command comms are for.

* Command staff that conducts pissing matches via announcement system.  Keep that shit private, have some fucking dignity for christ-sake.

* AIs who immedately send messages insulting the Captain for 'not logging out' because he walked away 10 ft away from the Bridge Console for 12 seconds without logging out. No, it isn't funny, and you're just being an asshole.

* AIs who obviously have an ego, and don't even make an attempt to act like an Artificial Intelligence instead of a person.

* AIs who indirectly ask for law changes, then do everything they can to intentionally subvert their lawset if they don't get one, because they personally don't like the lawset.

* Any virologist that orders a Virus Crate

* Any CMO that lets the virologist order a virus crate. Bonus points when the unlock it and deliver it in it's entirety, GBS and all. 

* Chemists who have nothing in the fridge after 30 minutes when they were here since the start of the shift.  Also Chemist who:

Do wierd shit like make synthflesh pills or Mannitol patches.

Make 3u Styptic/SS/Synflesh patches

Have made shit like Atropine and pentetic acid 45 minutes into the shift, but not Mannitol. Just seriously... what the fuck?

Label their stuff anything but what it actually is and what the actual dosage is.  I don't know what "Blood Restorer" is. Is it Saline-Glu? Iron? Both? How much? I'm a doctor, it's my job to know what Meds do.  It's your job to label your fucking meds properly, not pretend I'm an idiot and need you to tell me what pill to give for what.

Edited by EvadableMoxie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suppose i can pipe in with some stuff.

- HoS' who take the detective's scanner for no good reason (such as the detective being dead, unavailable, unresponsive, actual life threatening hurry)

- HoS' who take the pod's spare key and take the thing out for a spin without contacting the pod pilot first.

Basically, if you absolutely don't have to do something, please, let your workers do it, let them enjoy their work too.

A few of my pet peeves are:

1. People who write their name instead of using the [sign] tag on paperwork in the signature field.

2. Not allowing the Chaplain to perform a proper burial after the corpse has been examined by the Coroner.

3. Using welder bombs as a practical solution to deal with blobs.

• Thanks 1

Some pet peeves I have (and see often during the shifts).

• Janitors who clean up the hallways of blood and dirt, but not the random clutter (backpacks, clothes)
  • People who run up the HoP line the first few moments of the shift, starting to scream and bang on the windows for the HoP to come, while the HoP is getting ready.
  • Scientists that are wearing magboots, a bluespace belt and bag, with a full set of upgraded tools, and a gas mask. 
  • People who use the radio to complain non-stop instead of talking to a IAA.
  • Glowshrooms that are outside of botany.
  • People who break into the gateway and disappearing into it without any prior notification, bonus points if they come back with contraband and complains that security has confiscated it.
  • People who do not do their job and just wanders about doing nothing.
  • Improperly preserved corpses in the morgue.
  • That one head that is complaining and wants the shuttle called, even though their department is running well or improvement can be easily done.
  • People who insist that touching a airlock multiple times will make it open for them, even though they don't have the access and it keeps buzzing at them.
  • People who calls airlocks doors.
  • People who go SSD/commit suicide at the start of the shift because they got a job they didn't want, bonus points if its Security, the QM, or a Command staff.
  • People who flips when you are talking to them, no matter if you are in a neutral mood or are upset.
Edited by bryanayalalugo
Typos
  • Like 1

OH boy here we fucking go;

Medical

• CMOs who cannot perform basic chemistry (don't know how to make perflu, mannitol, mutadone charcoal, cryox, synth or SR) and refuse to even try when there's nothing in the fridge
  • CMOs who don't understand even the basics of their department (don't know what a clean SE is, don't know how to make vaccines, can't do chemistry or surgery)
  • Any medical staff who don't understand what the basic healing chems do and their OD thresholds/if they have one (Bonus points if you're screaming at me for "overdosing" patients in sleepers on styptic)
  • Prioritizing broken bones over Internal Bleeding
  • Cloning people with low blood who are defibbable if you just put a little more into them
  • Cloning people who are defibbable and only have minor injuries or easily fixed ones (bonus points if they died to 150 burn damage + suffocation)
  • Cloning people with no attempts to repair the damage or acknowledgement that SR is a thing
  • Gibbing people with SR because they don't know how it works/check the damage
  • CMOs who threaten to demote you because you didn't make charcoal even though the fridge has 60 pentetic pills
  • Medical staff who think because it can't be fixed in five seconds it isn't fixable and morgue people that can be repaired/transplanted/whatever
  • Medical staff morguing ANYONE who isn't willingly refusing to return to their corpse/DNR
  • Surgeons ignoring the person dying of internal bleeding in three places to fix their metabuddy with a fractured hand
  • Surgeons leaving the operating rooms a disgusting mess covered in blood and vomit
  • Surgeons hogging tools, bonus points if they keep them in their bag and get pissy when you tell them to put 'em back
  • Surgeons that don't actually know basic surgery (just be a nurse dude)
  • Coroners that don't tag morgue trays
  • Coroners that refuse to do autopsies on murder victims
  • Coroners that immediately steal corpses that haven't been cloned or defibbed yet
  • Coroners that refuse to man cloning and then complain  they have nothing to do
  • Coroners that loot bodies
  • Coroners that go SSD ten minutes into the shift because nobody's died yet
  • Coroners in general
  • Doctors dragging patients away from me
  • Doctors dragging away people I'm trying to defib
  • Doctors that let people die of blood loss in the cryotubes
  • Chemists that take 50 minutes to make a single bottle of cryox or 3 mannitol pills
  • Chemists that don't make anything for twenty minutes
  • Chemists that make 10u SR pills
  • Chemists that make patches under 5u
  • Chemists that make addictive chemicals in pill form (IE, perfludecaulin, Teperone (lol who am I kidding nobody makes this), ephiniprine)
  • Chemists who make numerous different units of the same chemical, bonus points if they're too small to be useful (3u styptic patches...)
  • Chemists that remove the units amount from chems
  • Chemists that rename the chems
  • Chemists that make pyrotechnics and poisons for fun instead of medicines
  • Chemists that blow up chemistry for shits and giggles
  • Chemists that spam potassium + water
  • Chemists that hand out space lube indiscriminately
  • Chemists that immediately hog the syringe guns "just in case"

Security

• Officers arresting people and leaving them in processing unattended
  • Officers leaving people with no notes in processing
  • Officers wordlessly permaing people for stuff that turns out to not even be permable
  • Officers labelling people as EoC for toys/stickers

More to come as I encounter/think of them

• fastparrot 2
  • explodyparrot 1

Oh boy, time for my ones, I'll stick to three so I don't overload people with stuff.

Security

• Anyone who doesn't use security comms or only uses it once or twice a round (bowmans exist for a reason!)
  • Officers who bring in the clown/janitor for slipping them on Green alert
  • Officers who wordlessly bring someone in with nothing on their records before hand
  • To follow on with that one, when you ask over comms why they were bought in and no one responds.
  • And another follow on when you release said person because no one said what they were bought in for and the moment you say you let them free you hear the arresting officer finally respond with "HE MURDERED SOMEONE!" or "HE ASSAULTED PEOPLE!"
  • When as warden people demand lethals as soon as the alert jumps up when there is no real reason to give lethals out (bonus points of you ask for a combat shotgun loaded with buckshot)
  • When as the pod pilot, the HoS steals the security pod for a half hour 'space patrol' without even talking over comms about it with you first
  • Any prisoners who commit suicide the moment they are pulled into processing (bonus point if they were just going to end up with a verbal warning or five minutes)
  • Officers who arrest the chaplain over their null rod reskins (bonus points if you fall for the armblade null rod and demand cremation over it)
  • Detectives who SSD round start in their office and don't reconnect (personally I'm tempted to use the new SSD tool to start dealing with that)
  • Detectives who somehow manage to ignore every single call for them and only show up when they have arrested a civilian with their revolver because they were breaking into a place (bonus points if they used a whole clip to try and gun down the civilian)
  • Anyone who thinks a single call over comms with no other evidence supporting it means it is true and that the alert should be raised to red
  • IAAs who argue any and every case, acting like they are a super lawyer
  • And there are plenty more for this section, but I don't want to put too much in so one last thing I will put down...

DIONA WARDENS ON SECWAYS ACTING LIKE NORMAL OFFICERS!

Command

• Captains who don't pay attention to comms
  • Battle captains
  • Captains who wear their space suit on green
  • Captains who jump through an uncalibrated teleporter round start and get lost in space (bonus points if you lose the nuke disk while you are at it)
  • Captains demanding the bridge be made into a fortress round start
  • When there is no captain and the HoP refuses to become acting (bonus points if you give the clown enough time to break into the captain's office and make themselves the captain cough @Penguinizer honk)
  • HoPs who give out all access to random people for 'the lulz'
  • HoPs who open more clown/mime slots for no apparent reason (bonus points if they hand out extra access to these clowns)
  • Any head sticking on the bridge for the entire round and not watching over their department in any way
  • Bridge assistants every single round (every once in a while for a random person is fine, just not the same person multiple rounds in a row)
  • Redshields
  • NT Rep/Captain assfaxing CC (and eventually being cluwned, BSAed or killed in some other horrible way)

Supply

• Chaplains who aren't creative and try to make a pseudo-cult based around murder
  • Chaplains who pray for superpowers because it is needed for their 'holy crusade'
  • "DEUS VULT" chaplains in general
  • Following on from the last one, battle chaplains
  • Chefs who make nothing and run off to greytide with a knife
  • Chefs who throw themselves in the gibber
  • Bartenders who don't actually serve drinks and run off to do nothing
  • Barbers who run around thinking it is a license to dye anyone and everyone they see an eye burning neon colour (at least get people to pay for dye hits, make a business out of it)
  • Botanists who make dangerous/toxic fruit and hand it out to the public
  • Botanists who make bluespace fruit and hand it out to the public
  • Botanists who make tesla fruit and throw it in any crowd as soon as they get the chance
  • Botanists who make throwing omega weed and then proceed to put it down in escape, ending in at least one person throwing it and melting the faces off of at least five people and possibly killing many
Edited by DarkPyrolord
I can word
  • Like 3

Botanists who don't give two shits about the chef. Either they spawn in, forget botany exists and make their merry way off to greytide with their botany tools, or they DO know how to botany, and decide that weed is ever so much more important than feeding the station,  despite my repeated pleas for even just low yield wheat.

I'll lay down my life for good botanists I kid you not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gangelwaefre said:

Botanists who don't give two shits about the chef. Either they spawn in, forget botany exists and make their merry way off to greytide with their botany tools, or they DO know how to botany, and decide that weed is ever so much more important than feeding the station,  despite my repeated pleas for even just low yield wheat.

Same fam, I've had too many rounds with botanists that either don't make what I ask of them or make random low amounts of food that don't fit together in recipes.

• Like 1

Chefs who make dangerous cuisine like roboburgers or brain cake and throw a shit fit when they get dragged in for manslaughter.

Yeah, eating it is dangerous... So why put it out in the front along with all the other food?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FeiH said:

Chefs who make dangerous cuisine like roboburgers or brain cake and throw a shit fit when they get dragged in for manslaughter.

Yeah, eating it is dangerous... So why put it out in the front along with all the other food?

Guilty as charged

• stunbaton 2

People like the aforementioned botanists and chefs who disavow personal responsibility just because their products were used by someone ELSE to fuck up the station.

People who feel justified in griefing the hell out of security because an item of theirs was lost in processing, or because they were brigged on a lack of evidence. Bonus points if this miscarriage of justice happened because security was overworked and distracted to begin with.

Public Defenders. Especially ones that start calling me "the Fuhrer". It's happened too many times to count.

Scientists who would rather fuck around in sci-chem than help around in xenobio or R&D for the first 30 minutes of a round.

People who disarm and steal shit just to be a dick.

People who don't have the situational awareness NOT to jostle the guy with the welding tool/gloves, screw driver & multitool when all of the airlocks are bolted and electrified at escape.

• Like 3

when I'm observing a round and I see two people hanging out and moving around (despite not using say or emotes) and get a vibe that they're metacommunicating 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Security that arrest and brig you you over a reported crime in chat with no actual evidence.
  • Security who pretend to interview you in processing but then don't even listen to or care what you're saying.
  • Having my items confiscated which weren't used in a crime and are not contraband.
  • Having my Vox tank taken off by 95% of security officers - some even ask where it is and then strip it off anyway.
  • Shotguns with buckshot.
  • When I go easy on security as antagonist and they blast me into oblivion at the earliest opportunity.
  • AI players who ignore all their other responsibilities to hunt me when playing antagonist
  • People who demand that I print their requests from RnD that very moment, regardless of if the item is even available.
  • White knights who go out of their way to assist security against antags without crossing the validhunting line.
  • People who force you to sign paperwork for simple requests just to waste your time.
  • Security officers who class everyone as greytiders as an excuse to come down on them like a ton of bricks for minor crimes.
  • Doctors who don't know the simple mechanics of their job and yet won't ask, use the wiki, or learn.
  • People who ask us to explain how to play an entire department in Mentor Help or something obscure and detailed like telecoms scripting / something otherwise that would require more than a few hours of coaching.
  • Janitors who only mop the floors with water and then scream at you about signs when you complain.
  • Janitors in the same vein who refuse to use space cleaner.
  • People who refuse to yield to basic requests because I'm not the right job or they think I shouldn't be doing something. Refusing to print tools / buckets / etc.
  • Using cringy in-game relationship nonsense to justify ignoring all other players in favour of your metabuddy.
  • People who refuse to use certain mechanics because "muh RP" such as cryotubes or excessively waste time because they want to type essays while I have other things to do.
  • Plenty more.
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use