My first time ever on the NSS Cyberaid

ZN23X

Thought this would be a fun thread to start. Maybe not your first round ever, where you were just fumbling around with the UI. More like...what was the most memorable thing that happened to you when you first started playing?

After a few rounds as janitor I decided to try something new. Journalist. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, asked around. Someone directed me to the HOP.

I go to the HOP line, wait my turn, when it is I tell him I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. He says "You need a job?" I say "I guess" and he says "Come around to my door at the bottom of my office. I do. He let's me in.

"Pet Ian for me" and he points to Ian.

I'm confused but spend a few minutes petting Ian while he handles other requests. At one point I stop and he turns to me and shouts "I DIDN'T TELL YOU TO STOP!" I'm very nervous now so I'm petting feverishly. After 10-15 he informs me I'm done and I did a good job, says wait a moment. I do, he runs off (apparently to the ATM) gets 500 credits and gives it to me. I ask him what can I do now? He directs me to the bar and spend my hard earned money.

I quickly learn no payment is required at the bar, but insist I pay anyways. Since I don't know how to split it I just smack the 500 on the counter. Bartender gives me 2 full bottles of whiskey for this.

I got drunk, felt sad because I had no purpose. Began attacking another man in the bar. Security comes and arrests me. Brings me to processing. They search me. Ask me why I did what I did. I'm sobbing and slurring about how I have no purpose.

Whoever was processing me says "Do you want a purpose?"

I say "Yes!" 

"Would you like to be a public defender?"

"A what?"

"Would you like to protect this station, yes or no?!"

"YES!"

"Do you swear to spread peace and justice through the station?"

"YES! I WANT TO SERVE! I WANT A PURPOSE!"

"Very well then."

Brings me to the locker room. Gives me all the proper sec gear. Through this process I've been vomiting and my vision fading. Alcohol finally taking it's toll. I can no longer stand. My new boss drags me out of the brig. An ambulance awaits me. The last thing I heard before I passed out as the paramedic drove off with me was my boss shouting "Save them! They're a public defender!"

I pass out and die on the way to Medbay. Unaware of revival or cloning methods in the infancy of my SS13 career, I exited them game.

Been hooked ever since. What's your story?

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 3

I was directed to the game by a friend and had no idea how to play or what to do. So, I spawn in as a civilian thinking it will be easy. I see the little botany room near arrivals and grab the hatchet; because WEAPONS. I try to use it, I end up believing that I needed to point to it and then click on what I wanted to use it on to use it. I managed to hit a security person twice. I then realised how stuffed I was and how much I didn't understand and quit the game after being harmbatoned enough for my vision to start fading.

My second game I use the wiki and play librarian. I see that the librarian needs to argue with the chaplain about religion. The chaplain comes in and asks for a bible to be printed. I manage to print a bible and I put it onto the table saying "you know that is fiction, right?". An argument follows which ends up with the chaplain taking out a chainsaw and slaughtering me. Like you I was unaware of revival methods so I quit. Later on I rejoined and thought how am I alive. I later find out from my friend that there are things like cloning.

I have now been playing for 4 months now and am starting to get a hold on some of the more complex jobs.

My character is called Rodrigo Jackson, I play any job and have different views based on which job I play. When I am quartermaster/cargo tech I usually declare independence from NT or something similar because . . .

All Hail Cargonia Land of the Stolen Things

Always Obey the Quartermaster Unless he is a ling

That is the very short anthem of CARGONIA land of the free

• Like 4

In late july of last year or something like that, a pair of my friends were bugging me about trying "this space station game" Telling me it's "really indepth, you'll love it", and after a while of boredly sitting in teamspeak talking about goofy things at four-five in the morning, I cave and eventually download Byond, then join the server. 

They gave me the briefest rundown of what to do and what to absolutely not do, and directed me to the rules, then after observing for 5 minutes and thinking "this is retarded how can anyone play like this" (I didn't understand ghostears/ghostvision) a new round starts and I join as a miner. 

After learning the UI pretty quick, and figuring out mining to the point of going outside and picking up ores for a while on the east asteroid, I came back with not much and got yelled at by the QM, then went to wander around the station.

I went over and checked out the medbay, and some guy in chemistry got my attention "Hey Gabe" he says (first character name), then asks "Want something to do?" to which I respond "Yeah of course." (now what I didn't know here is that this chemist guy was one of my two buddies and he knew what I was doing.), he gives me a beaker of 100u krokodil, a dropper, and tells me to go put it on food, now it didn't quite click with me what krokodil was at the time (nor was I aware of it's connection to the real thing), and tells me it's got some other good stuff in the beaker, and to just go put it on the food, which I do for a while and that ends up really messing with people. (there was this one Vox who got addicted and ended up going to the medbay and getting told "sorry, we don't know how to fix you..." and he just sadly responded "okays..." and went back to gib in the kitchen or whatever krokodil does at the end of withdrawal, which broke my heart)

Eventually, my friend decides that this wasn't stupid enough and PDAs me to come back, and asks "would you like to just inject people with this? It'll be faster", this still being before I realized what I was doing, I say yes, so he gives me a syringe and a spray bottle of ethanol and neuro-toxin, which I spray people with which little to no effect, and end up in the library spraying the librarian. 

While in the library, the detective shows up and asks "what the fuck are you doing" so I go over and spray him, he tells me to stop, I spray him again, he tells me "seriously, cut that out", I spray him a third time, and he tells me "okay listen bub do it again and I'll arrest you", so I cut it out, then he goes to light a cigarette, bursts into flames, I panic and run to hide on mining.

In this time, I mention what just happened on teamspeak (still unaware the other two were actually in the game, but knew that we shouldn't be in voice comms discussing a round.) and they both burst out laughing, then the chemist explains his part in it and that he's actually playing, and how mad the detective probably is and that I should REALLY avoid him.

Anyways, ten minutes of hiding in a locker later, I come back to mining and get shot six times by the upset detective, taken to the brig, and explain that "I had no Idea what was in the bottle, the chemist just told me to do it",  and end up dodging brig time, my buddy gets arrested, and he passes the buck on the other chemist (who totally got murdered earlier by something completely unrelated) and manages to dodge brig time too.

All five people in the teamspeak channel (myself and four others who've played space station) were cracking up about this for a while.

Edited by Anoonki
proofreading lite
  • Like 3

My first round I "played" was during my first year of college and the day before my birthday cause why not.

And I only did it because I had HereticChurch talking to me about their rounds and times he had played... For the longest time, so I thought "fiiiine I'm gonna try it, I'm probably not going to like it" 

So I had HereticChurch sitting beside me showing me how to play the game, cause really, I wouldnt be able to do it on my own and probably panic while playing.

So I made my first character, a Skrell named Zeke Varloss, went to the costume machine and grabbed the pirate outfit.  A few things I knew about Skrell, they could breath underwater and we're super light weights.  So naturally I was like, my goal for this character is to make him this Charming and flirty pirate who was an alcoholic.... Cause reasons.

So civilian Skrell dressed up as a pirate, made way to the bar, noticed there was no Bartender hop over the counter. While on the counter the Bartender shows up and points his shotgun at me. So I just moved off the counter.

I got a bottle of rum, drank the whole bottle of rum. Fell onto the ground while throwing up everywhere was taken to medbay and thrown into the cryocell. 

What happened after that, I don't remember.

That's it, mah first round ever played.. how boring it seems... But I got to do what I wanted.

• Like 2

The biggest thing I remember from my first round was the fact it was an extended round, that it was actually fun RPing just as a civie and learning the way things are, my first cloning after getting stupid with the air tanks... low stress, lots of time to learn the (IC) rules and systems in place...

At the end of the round, imagine my disappointment when I'm told the truth about how chaotic it gets with traitors, vampires, wizards, changelings, shadowlings, cultists... and that an extended round is not likely to happen again.

Next round, 10 minutes into the game I get kidnapped by a vampire and eaten, then cremated.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First time ever i played paradise was about eight or nine months ago, i used to play goon and got bored of it, i moved to paradise and tried it out, i joined in as a janitor i tried to find the closet till someone helped me, i got my stuff for cleaning, so i then started to clean the hallways and stuff, some people shoved me for that,  i then topped up in RND.. i asked, ''What is this place?'' they said ''This is the place where we make the best techs''  and i said ''Oh so.. it's like.. engineering?'' then he said ''Engineering can suck it'' Then he hands me an advanced mop, i used it and it was neat, i went to the bar because there i could chat with people and get intel about the new station, i asked for tequila and a drink, since that moment when i saw security officers, i found them.. rough.. with those jackboots they seemed badass and like if they were into serious business, thats when i wanted to be a officer, but i had to wait for the cooldown. 

I went to arrivals but then there was vines, i was trapped and couldn't get out, but then some nice guy saved me.

Then a blob appeared at cargo, i went there to check out whats going on, someone told me to run but i said ''I wanna fight it'' i fought the blob with my super robust welding tool, i atleast died trying.

• Like 1

Well my first day of playing was mostly dedicated to learning the controls and wandering around.  My second day playing I decided I'd learned enough controls and in a fit of naive bravery I joined a round as a Security Officer.  I proceeded to harmbaton two Vox to near-death because my stun baton didn't seem to work (spoiler alert: it wasn't turned on.)  Got bwoinked, admitted my fuck-up, went to the HoP and got a job change then wallowed in self-pity for the rest of the round.

Didn't play Security for probably 6 months after that.

Edited by Keroman
  • Like 2

Hm... cant remember much from my early ss13 experience. The oldest whole shift i can think of is when i was succesful as traitor for the first time. 

But interesting things i can remember from earliests shifts are:

Me and two other gang members killing another gang guy in toilet with shivs.

Three outposts (one in brig, one in GLORIOUS CARGONIA and last one somewhere in maint) while raging xeno running around everywhere else, comms down, communications via radio. Atmosphere of hopelessness and despair was amazing.

MY VERY FIRST TIME WITH FLAMETHROWER

First time i escaped brig pretending sick (got away during transfer to medbay) was naked but beat the shit out of poor guy in toilet, took his clothes and id. Escaped on shuttle under his disguise.

Those things helped me to understand that i have found the best game ever (along with diablo 2, but that is different story)

Edited by McRamon

My first SS13 round involved me joining as an Assistant (I read that much into some Wiki at least), not knowing how to really do anything. Learned how to walk finally, figured out which boxes were doors, and became really confused with movement and unresponsive controls (I now know there was no gravity). I do believe I then began to suffocate to death due to a lack of Atmos in the Arrival Hallway, then two Shaft Miners wearing a Hardsuit and Cult Robes walked up to me. My screen goes black and then they drag me to a Red Door and over a red circle, I had died at this point, however, at the time I simply hadn't realized. They do something with me involving said red circle, and then shove me out another red door. I watch myself float through space for the next minute, get frustrated, and leave.

I come back to the game a few minutes later and my character is laying against a asteroid, my screen is clear and I try to do anything, much to the unresponsiveness of my character. I get frustrated trying to do something for the next two minutes, and then quit without ever figuring out how to ghost, let alone speak.

First time I ever played, a friend of mine showed me the basic controls in the form of buying myself a pack of cigs and lighting it without killing myself. Then he said to me "Good luck".
This was back when to use a vending machine you had to put your PIN in and swipe your ID on it.

This was back in BestRP before the split.
I have no idea what happened that round but I remember being amused by the clown costume.

• 1 month later...

>Changing my uniform without knowing that my ID and other stuff would fell off.

>Running around with an hatchet.

>Got baton by a sec for not having ID and carrying the hatchet around.

>Got Brigged

>A giant spider crawl into my cell from the vent and bit me several time.

>Officer found out and drag me into medbay.

>Too late. Died. Shuttle arrived.

>"This game is not that bad after all."

• Like 1

During my first round, I managed to get my emergency box open. I thought "whoa, this game is pretty complex. Let's see if this will let me survive in space". So I put on my oxygen mask and oxygen tank and somehow managed to find my way out the one airlock that's always open in arrivals. As I floated out into space I realized that was dying of pressure, temperature, and suffocation (I hadn't turned on my internals). At that point I was pretty impressed by the depth of the simulation. I somehow found my way back to the airlock and died right outside of it. I asked on mentorhelp what to do, and they basically said I was fucked since I had no idea what suit sensors were and that I'd have to wait for someone to stumble on my corpse. Unfortunately the only person that passed by my corpse didn't bother to bring it back inside. Thankfully the emergency shuttle was called so I didn't have to wait around for too long staring at my corpse.

• 4 months later...

During my first round with my feet under me I had a bit of a unique experience with bureaucracy.

I started out my shift, as I did all my shifts in those first couple of rounds, in the bar. After trying and failing, miserably I might add, to strike up conversation with anyone, (I do believe they were busy actually participating in the functions of the station.) I began to notice something, something that disturbed me to the deepest level of my being. Filth! Blood and vomit soon pooled everywhere in the bar, not a janitor in sight, despite the barkeeper's pleas. I had found my calling, I knew what I had to do. Get a mop. After a  quick little mentor help asking how to get a life job, I headed to the HoP's office. After a quick trip to the wiki and a short stint being lost I made it to my destination. I politely asked the HoP if there was any chance I could assist in janitorial work as to be frank the station was getting to be a tad of a mess. This was my first mistake I fear, as what I believe the HoP heard me say was. "I'd like to do something on the station but I'm not sure what? Please assign me to anything other than a Janitor." After having a  long conversation on whether or not I'd like to work in several jobs in medical or science. (Which I am sure at this point I would have been grossly incompetent... in fact even now I think that would be the case.) We finally came to the understanding that I wanted a job as a sanitation technician.   The HoP said I should go ahead and ask the Janitor if they needed any assistance as there were already two janitors on shift and neither were responding to hails on the headset.

The hunt began as I searched far an- I found the Janitor's almost immediately, it wasn't hard, one was riding the sick Janitor-mobile the other was just sort of standing in the middle of botany for some unknown reason. I tried to speak with Miss Ride around about whether help was needed or not... No reply. After chasing the bozo around for about 10 minutes I got tired of it all and decided to go at speak with the HoP again and explain the situation going on, surely he would sympathize.  I began returning to the HoP's office plead my case when I came across an odd Vulp. Soon I found myself garrote wired into the service tunnels and pulled all the way to some dark secluded part of maintenance and was quickly dispatched by a changling as I tried to plead for my life.

And that was my first shift of note on Paradise Station. Whoop.

Continued: (After killing me the changeling took my form and went to the HoP office to ask for a job change to security. Which was given to him, with barely any fuss. That is when I realized a cold calculating monster must have much more apparent charisma than I on a good day.)

Honestly, the chaos of trying to figure out how to ACCESS this server was more messy than some of my first rounds. The only link I found that actually worked was from this weird out of the way wiki site (not the actual wiki).
I already knew a fair deal about SS13 and the server before-hand. I started out in Goon, but got tired quickly when I realized none of the jobs felt like they had any real purpose. By the time I figured out how to enter Paradise, I had already read most of the information on the Wiki out of curiosity.

So I started out playing as an assistant until I understood the layout of the station (which was WAY more intuitive than Goon's) and felt confident enough to jump into a job. A lot of rounds felt slow as I watched the descent of the station into death and chaos, me somehow never being around for it. Some strange aspects I DO remember:
- I walked down to the southern half of arrivals in the middle of one round, only to find out the danger of breaches the hard way. I had no way to escape the decompression and swiftly died. Thinking cloning would be like Goon's (AKA not happening), I accepted my death, only to be surprise cloned maybe 10 minutes later. I play off CMD while the doctor gets my clothes, only to be stopped by the "Head of Mimes". For whatever reason, this mime REALLY wanted the doctors attention, while I stood confused and naked for another 5 minutes. I guess the mime got annoyed at me wanting my clothes, because he handcuffed me, stuffed me in a locker, and threw me out into the hall.
I knew I could have gotten out of the handcuffs and the locker, but I had no clothes, no knowledge of where to get them, and the round was 20 minutes from ending. I just decided to stay in handcuffs and let the locker be my new home.
Plus it was fun to see people open a random locker in the hallway, see a handcuffed naked man, then swiftly close it again.

-The only other round I remember was the first time I was targeted by an antagonist. A grey and his friend tried to kidnap me by arrivals, but since they lacked restraints I barely managed to run away. Not knowing how to properly inform security, I hung out in front of the bridge for safety. About 30 minutes later, the same two are blasting their way out of the dorms, and I flee in panic again. It took me 10 minutes to realize I was uninjured and that they were only shooting laser tag guns.
The escape shuttle eventually arrives, and I sit down; the two enter and take their seats right next to me. After everything, I think maybe I was overreacting and they aren't actually dangerous. We're in a shuttle surrounded by people and they never TECHNICALLY injured me yet.
As soon as the shuttle takes off, they butcher me.

Edited by Pckables

My first real round after I got the hang of the controls was spent combing maintenance as an assistant. I knew nothing so I felt like I had a great weapon when I was armed with a crowbar. I went around grabbing stuff, not sure if I wanted a T-Ray scanner or an analyzer cause my bag was so full of junk. A couple of my buddies were playing and they were being hobos in the old bar(They'd stolen a ton of stuff to renovate.) and I went to say hello several times. I learned after the round they thought I was planning to murder them or something I was so suspicious.

Later in, I found a gas mask and felt great when there was a plasma flood. People were evacuating because plasma was fucking everywhere. I'm confused why my gas mask isn't filtering the toxins(Didn't know about internals at the time.) so I got pissed off when I kept taking damage. Eventually while waiting in escape I had a brilliant idea and decided to light a cigarette, not knowing that plasma was flammable... Suddenly the entire lounge was in flames, people were screaming and trying to fight the fire as it quickly started killing everyone.

When the shuttle arrived, someone grabbed my limp, still burning and not dead yet self instead of someone that deserved to be rescued. and dragged me in. Spent the rest of the ride in a sleeper in crit. By the time I was out, the shuttle arrived at central and I was so confused when people were kicking the shit out of each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I read everything on the wiki then joined as a civilian. My brother was standing above me and explained the controls to me, then left me alone. I collected all the garbage I found, struggling with managing my inventory. Half an hour later I got knocked out next to a security officer, then got chainsawed and dragged to maintenance. I didn't ask for help because I forgot how to talk on the radio and quite honestly, I was terrified. I asked my brother what to do; he shrugged and told me I died.

I was very sad until the next round, thinking I upset someone with stealing something and that's why I was killed. The next round I joined as a Roboticist, spent an hour sweating and scared I mess up something and ruin the game for others, constantly reading the wiki, apologizing and asking for one more minute until I figure it out... then got murdered again. The next round, the same. Only then I realized there is this thing called "traitors" - and I have been their target for my entire first week.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use