Allow internet slang in the server.

Saint Pepsi

I was just admin PM'd today to be informed I'm not allowed to say 'Lel' in chat, even ironically.

This is a motion to allow netslang to be used IC as long as it abides by a somewhat RP standard. Obviously you're not going to go around saying 'lol nice meme' or 't0 1337 5 u'

This is for characters who portray futuristic internet subcultures.

Doesn't really add much of anything, even if it's mimicking the occurrence of IRL netspeak.

I'd argue if anything it detracts from roleplay, despite being part of a very specific group's "speech".

(99% of people don't use Netspeak IRL, it's almost exclusive to NURDS like us)

-1, it's obnoxious as fuck. It should be kept to paper and PDA messages honestly.

OR

Allow it, but make it punishable by Exile or Execution in Space Law.

Or at least let us punch them in the dick until they enter crit.

I'm further against it if you're supporting smilies as well, how the hell do you pronounce ;) without sounding like a mother fucker?

And while your argument about RP is right, yes, it is still RP, it's deducing from the quality of RP. We should try and maintain a good-quality RP level so we don't crumble into shit. I'd rather our RP isn't turned into just making cringey memes 24/7.

Edited by Guest

-1, it's obnoxious as fuck. It should be kept to paper and PDA messages honestly.

OR

Allow it, but make it punishable by Exile or Execution in Space Law.

Or at least let us punch them in the dick until they enter crit.

I'm further against it if you're supporting smilies as well, how the hell do you pronounce ;) without sounding like a mother fucker?

Fuck smilies. I'm literally just here because Tully says I can't say lel anymore.

I personally don't agree with the idea of permitting internet slang to be used IC. I see it used in deadchat and OOC quite often - which is fine seeing as that generally isn't meant to be involved in the round itself.

You're better off just not typing it IC'ly, I'd say.

This is Medium RP, contrary to popular belief.

We should at least uphold the rule that doesn't make our playerbase seem like blithering nitwits. Keep it to adminhelps and the PDAs, like many have said before.

This won't happen I'm just going to say that outright here. Even if it gets a million plusses or minusses or upside down questionmarks ¿

We are medium RP and communication is done in galactic common. Which isn't even english ICly.

It's annoying enough when people still use these things on their pda.

PDA messages are literally typed messages.

If my character is piss-ass drunk, I deliberately typo the ever loving hell out of my PDA messages for instance.

I fail to see how netspeak occuring on the SS13 equivalent on an instant messenger is annoying, unless you find netspeak annoying fullstop.

If anything, someone who uses netspeak on a PDA message but speaks coherently without it in regular chat is a sign of someone who's got a better handle on roleplaying.

Thats why the pda is a matter of personal opinion and will only be reacted to icly if my character sees it by reacting to it as if the sender is a toddler.

However the netspeak in ic chat is just not going to happen.

Even if it was considered it would prove much to difficult to draw a line anywhere.

I rarely ever hear "lel" or "lol" used in everyday speech. On the rare occasion that I do it's also rather awkward, as such conventions developed as a way to shorten communications over the internet which is not really useful at all in real life, that is, if you want to at all sound professional.

Here's my take on it. If we're trying to maintain some level of RP, make things IC is IC and stop OOC intervention unless it's breaking the RP. Allow people's characters to be racist or make new jokes.

Since that doesn't happen, relax. Let people play their character their way. If you don't like netspeak in chat, confront them ICly.

+1

Actually, if we do what the guy above me suggested, I'd be more than happy to go on a station-wide genocide against netspeakers because they killed my stepbrother with their fucking obnoxiousness and I haven't dropped it ever since

+1 very nice idea

/s

-1 I get ahelps any time anybody uses netspeak, and it's an elephant in the room during most roleplay conversations. Not only this, but, no matter how much it feels like it isn't, the Cyberiad is a place of work and a research facility, if you wanted to go by lore. In terms of realism, this isn't, and hopefully never will be identical to real life and in some cases, even remotely close to it.

OOC intervention into IC is at times necessary to maintain the environment we'd like to keep on the server, letting people "play their character their way" is something we try to do, so long as it doesn't ruin the atmosphere or detract from the experience of the server, which is why we don't allow holocaust jokes, racial slurs, references to real-life terrorism, and a number of other aspects that could reasonably be seen as incredibly distasteful (swearing at people is obviously allowed, just look up the word fuck and see how many pages of results you get! Just don't be a dick about it.)

In personal terms. It's highly obnoxious, detracts from how I see the community of the game, and quite frankly makes your character look uneducated at times. (Understandably, some people try for their character to look uneducated, be aware netspeak is fine on PDAs.)

P.S. Being a racist against In-Game species has always been allowed to a degree. Real discrimination is incredibly distasteful.

+1 to the idea in spirit

-1 given our community

Even around here, I hear netspeak (rural area) once in a while---that said, it's usually for a very specific purpose and situation---usually to highlight just how utterly hilarious/stupid/bad something is in an intentionally melodramatic manner (ie: someone asks why they can't use their computer when their power is out); under these situations, it's rather fitting, in my opinion, as it serves a distinctive social purpose in a specific situation (even then, people don't say WTF, they say "Dubya, Tee, Eff.")

That said, if this is allowed on the server, I veryyyy strongly doubt it'll be used in this situation and will rapidly devolve into Goon/Hippie style "lol ya that's some pretty awesome stuff" or "WTf are you on about, like OMG your'e so stupid"....and the latter is veryyyy much something that I don't think is a good thing.

So...yeah, +1 to the spirit of it, but I strongly doubt that the community will capture and utilize the spirit of this, and will likely devolve it into full out and out full time IC netspeak, so ultimately, I'm against this.

LIFELEIKE TEXTURES ;_;

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use