Supply Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Supply Job SOP Complete!

Greetings, aspiring SOP writers. If you've clicked this thread, then you're either interested in contributing to Standard Operating Procedure, or are merely interested in seeing how it's going. Therefore, I shall begin by explaining what this (soon-to-be) megathread is all about:

Part 1: What is this?

Approximately 4 months ago, Necaladun approached me with a personal project of his: a complete overhaul of Standard Operating Procedure, meant to centralize SOP in such a way that allowed for more interaction with the Legal sub-Department, more actual guidelines on how to conduct one's performance, and generally formalize what was once only nebulous guidelines in an effort to get everyone on the same page.

This was the project that led to the current version of Security SOP. However, it was left half done, as Necaladun took his leave shortly after Sec SOP was added, and the project crumbled from lack of interest/time. However, I continued the project, but only recently picked it back up in full. The point of this megathread will be to, at the end of the line, have a single, well-defined, centralized Standard Operating Procedure that everyone can look at and fully comprehend, without any self-contradictory information. This, of course, will be changed in the Wiki, which is still the main source of information for the playerbase.

Part 2: How does it work?

Seeing as I actually have most of this stuff already written down, the process will be quite simple, and I'll break it down in stages:

Stage 1: Selection of which part of SOP to look at, out of provided options (because we have to start somewhere). This will be done via poll;

Stage 2: Proposal of new SOP. This will come from myself, again, because I have pretty much most of it already written down, so we have a solid base to go from;

Stage 3: General feedback from the community. This is the main part of the process, as it will be the one where everyone can pitch in, say which parts are right, which parts are wrong, what should be changed, etc;

Stage 4: Amendments made to SOP based on this feedback, and continued discussion, until a finalized version is produced;

Stage 5: SOP is posted on the Wiki;

Stage 6: Refer to Stage 1

Do keep in mind the following: everyone is permitted to pitch in. If you believe you have anything to add to the discussion, please do, but do try to keep this on track and problem-oriented, otherwise we'll never get off the drawing board.

Part 3: What does it entail?

The following are the proposed additions to this new, centralized SOP:

1. Security Job SOP; (added by Necaladun before he took his leave)

2. Engineering Job SOP;

Medical Job SOP; (finalized!)

Service Job SOP;

Supply Job SOP;

Science Job SOP (finalized!)

In addition to the basic SOP for each Department, I also propose:

1. Departmental SOP (as in, general guidelines for each Department that everyone should follow); (stricken to avoid bloat)

2. Command SOP (in-depth SOP for each member of Command, not in Guideline form); (yes in Guideline form, the hell was I thinking?!)

Legal SOP (standardization of Legal procedures and the action of the Legal sub-Department);

A revised General SOP, for each Color Code. This will include Safety Regulations

As you can see, this is a rather big project and, as such, will be tackled in small stages. At each point, the completed section of SOP will be crossed out, and a notification written. At the end of the journey, a single, massive Standard Operating Procedure page will be added to the wiki, with all the above SOPs for everyone to look at. In addition, of course, to their own specific pages.

And now, you've reached the end of the page. It's time to start, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote cargonia!

Get it over with!

Medical took a month!!

Edit: Holy shit Cargonia's actually winning, I didn't except that. >.>

Edited by Guest

I just realized actually; why not post all three SoP's at the same time on separate pages? It shouldn't be too hard to manage, and I don't see why we can't have multiple discussions at the same time.

Mostly because I don't want to "SUDDENLY EVERYONE GETS SOP", I'd rather just take this gradually.

That said, I'm all up for doing the three at the same time, if everyone else is on board.

Doing them all at once would be a bit much, one by one we can work out acceptable SoP for each department individually and review them as a whole afterwards.

If it was done all at once, Tully would likely implode trying to get them all perfect simultaneously.

There are 3 unique jobs in the Supply Department: Quartermaster, Cargo Technician and Shaft Miner.

Foreword: Job SOP should not be a considered a checklist of conditions to fire someone over. As always, SOP can be malleable if the situation so requires, and the decision to punish a crewmember for breaching it ultimately falls onto the relevant Head of Staff, for Department Members, or Captain, for the Head of Staff.

Proposed Job SOP is as follows:

Quartermaster:

1. The Quartermaster must ensure that every approved order is delivered within 15 minutes of having been placed and approved;

2. In the event of a major crisis, such as Nuclear Operatives or a Blob Organism, expediency is to be favored over paperwork, as excessive bureaucracy may be detrimental to the well-being of the station;

The Quartermaster is permitted to hack the Autolathe, or to have a Cargo Tech do so, assuming they do not produce illegal materials;

The Quartermaster is not permitted to authorize the ordering of Security equipment and/or gear without express permission from the Head of Security and/or Captain. An exception is made during extreme emergencies, such as Nuclear Operatives or a Blob Organism, where said equipment is to be delivered to Security, post haste;

The Quartermaster must ensure at least one copy of every Order Form (ie, the forms produced by the Requests Console) is kept inside Cargo. The same applies for Cargo Technicians;

The Quartermaster is not permitted to produce .357 speedloaders for the Detective without express permission from the Head of Security;

The Quartermaster is not to keep any illegal items that are flushed down Disposals, and must deliver them to Security. The same applies for Cargo Technicians and Shaft Miners;

The Quartermaster is not permitted to hack the MULE Delivery Bots so that they may ride them, or that they may go faster. The same applies for Cargo Technicians and Shaft Miners;

The Quartermaster is permitted to authorize non-departmental orders (such as a Medical Doctor asking for Insulated Gloves) without express permission from the respective Head of Staff (in this example, the Chief Engineer), utilizing their best judgement, although they may still request a stamped form. However, any breach of Standard Operating Procedure and/or Space Law that results from said order will also implicate the Quartermaster;

The Quartermaster is not permitted to authorize a Supermatter Crate without express permission from the Chief Engineer

Cargo Technician:

1. Cargo Technicians are bound to the same rules as the Quartermaster regarding restricted crates (see above);

2. Cargo Technicians are not permitted to order items for sole personal use without express consent from the Quartermaster. Exception is made if there are more than 500 Supply Requisition Points available and no outstanding orders. Cargo Technicians may not deplete the entire stock of Requisition Points with this.;

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to order non-essential items (such as cats, or clothing) without express consent from the Quartermaster;

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to force and/or break open locked crates. The same applies to the Quartermaster. Exception is made for Abandoned Crates found by Mining;

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to authorize non-departmental orders (such as a Medical Doctor asking for Insulated Gloves) without express permission from the Quartermaster;

Cargo Technicians must ensure that every approved order is delivered within 15 minutes of having been placed and approved;

Cargo Technicians must send back all crates that have been ordered, with accompanying stamped manifest inside the crate;

Cargo Technicians should ensure that a single Department does not fully drain the Ore Redemption Machine, as it can be utilized by multiple Departments;

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to ask for money in exchange for legal orders. The same applies to the Quartermaster;

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to trade items and/or favors in exchange for items with regular personnel without express consent from the Quartermaster

Shaft Miner:

1. Shaft Miners are not permitted to bring Gibtonite aboard the station;

2. Shaft Miners must deliver at least 1000 Points of mined material to the Ore Redemption Machine within one (1) hour;

Shaft Miners are not permitted to hoard materials. All mined materials are to be left in the Ore Redemption Machine;

Shaft Miners are not permitted to throw people into manufactured wormholes. Nor are they permitted to trick people into using Bluespace Crystals;

Shaft Miners are not permitted to mine their way into the Labor Camp;

Should Shaft Miners encounter Xenomorph lifeforms, they are to report to Medbay immediately

Edited by Guest

A requirement to forgo paperwork and red tape in favor of speed during crisis situations should probably be noted somewhere. It begins to cross over into space law, but a lot of confusion could be dodged by making it perfectly clear that breaching crates is not okay.

QM6&8, CT8, and SM4 are all pointless- SOP is a list of restrictions and guidelines, telling people the things they CAN do is redundant.

Aside from that, I don't have many objections with this.

QM6&8, CT8, and SM4 are all pointless- SOP is a list of restrictions and guidelines, telling people the things they CAN do is redundant.

Agreed. Stricken.

A requirement to forgo paperwork and red tape in favor of speed during crisis situations should probably be noted somewhere. It begins to cross over into space law, but a lot of confusion could be dodged by making it perfectly clear that breaching crates is not okay.

I'll add the following to QM SOP:

In the event of a major crisis, such as Nuclear Operatives or a Blob Organism, expediency is to be favored over paperwork

I really don't like CT3. The QM is responsible for the supply budget and should not lose his ability to regulate orders because points exceed 100. I can see a cargo tech going 'hurr durr we have 100 points fuck you qm i do what i want'. Also what constitutes an "approved" order? Also I didn't see anything in there about blowing crates with emitters. I once had a run in with a shitty Vox QM who claimed breaking open crates with emitters is totally fine. Which it shouldn't.

I really don't like CT3

I suppose QM permission should take precedence. Stricken.

Also what constitutes an "approved" order?

Any order you hit the "Accept" button on.

Also I didn't see anything in there about blowing crates with emitters. I once had a run in with a shitty Vox QM who claimed breaking open crates with emitters is totally fine. Which it shouldn't.

Good catch. Will add:

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to utilize Emitters to break open crates. The same applies to the Quartermaster

To CT SOP.

as a miner If find a metric shit ton of diamonds I will make diamond doors, science is not entitled to my hoard of wealth.

Under STANDARD conditions (STANDARD operating procedure), science should be getting everything. If you've managed to mine an absolute shitton, then science won't care about you keeping a reasonable portion (keyword reasonable).

Miners are already adequately rewarded for mining compared to other jobs through the point system, depriving other departments of the ability to do their job so you can dick around with 'your' minerals should warrant demotion.

The Quartermaster must ensure that every approved order is delivered within 15 minutes of having been placed and approved;

QMs are going to ignore this. Still, nice to have an expectation that they do something.

In the event of a major crisis, such as Nuclear Operatives or a Blob Organism, expediency is to be favored over paperwork, as excessive bureaucracy may be detrimental to the well-being of the station;

So, it takes nuke ops or a blob for QMs to consider efficiency/expediency to be more important than the creation of paperwork?

Actually, that would explain a lot about how QMs operate.

I've met QMs which could be replaced with a photocopier without any substantial reduction in the unnecessary paperwork generated.

The Quartermaster is not permitted to authorize the ordering of Security equipment and/or gear without express permission from the Head of Security and/or Captain. An exception is made during extreme emergencies, such as Nuclear Operatives or a Blob Organism, where said equipment is to be delivered to the Brig, post haste;

If it is that big of an emergency, it might be best to leave it up to them what they do with it. There may not be a brig left to bring it to, and they require a sec ID to unlock it anyway.

Cargo Technicians are not permitted to order items for sole personal use without express consent from the Quartermaster;

I would add "unless there is an abundance of supply points and nobody else is ordering anything" to this.

Cargo Technicians must ensure that every approved order is delivered within 15 minutes of having been placed and approved;

In short, cargo techs must actually perform a useful function?

Cargo Technicians must send back all crates that have been ordered, with accompanying stamped manifest;

"Inside the crate".

Cargo Technicians must send Plasma Sheets via the Supply Shuttle whenever possible;

Science needs plasma more than the supply shuttle does.

If science is ignoring the plasma in the machine, because they have plenty, sure, send some back.

Don't send back plasma that science wants, though.

Shaft Miners are not permitted to bring Gibtonite aboard the station;

Good.

Shaft Miners must deliver at least 1000 Points of mined material to the Ore Redemption Machine within one (1) hour;

This seems oddly specific. Still, I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere.

How will individual shaft miners' contributions be distinguished from each other?

Shaft Miners are not permitted to hoard materials. All mined materials are to be left in the Ore Redemption Machine;

Good.

Shaft Miners are not permitted to bring any live, hostile creatures from the Mining Asteroid onto the main station. In additions, should an encounter with Xenomorphs occur, the Shaft Miner in question should report to Medbay immediately

Do they normally bring hostile creatures? I would think if they were truly hostile, they'd kill the miner long before the miner got them all the way to the main station.

Unless miners have some way to be immune to their effects that I'm not aware of?

as a miner If find a metric shit ton of diamonds I will make diamond doors, science is not entitled to my hoard of wealth.

Except they actually are entitled to it - your entire job on the station is to mine minerals for use in science, not to hoard it for personal use.

Do they normally bring hostile creatures? I would think if they were truly hostile, they'd kill the miner long before the miner got them all the way to the main station.

Unless miners have some way to be immune to their effects that I'm not aware of?

I've seen one or two Miners bring back a Facehugger in a locker before, usually by loading the locker first with facehugger toys then a live one, then finally dragging it on board the station and letting it cause havok when someone opens it in the bar or such.

Disposals isn't addressed at all in this.

I'd imagine that there would be two extra notes concerning them for CT's, something along the lines of...

-CT's are not to keep (any/illegal/department specific?) items that go through disposals, and must report to the QM or HoP (edit: or HoS or Captain) if (illegal/department specific) items are found.

-CT's are to report dead bodies to security immediately (May merge with the first point; I know it's a common occurrence for this to happen but it shouldn't be SO regular that it has to be addressed in the SoP.)