Non-secret antags ending the round upon death? No thanks!

Keroman

This post is about any antag which, upon death or completion of objectives, ends the round immediately.

Wizards, Vox Raiders, Nuke Ops, possibly Malf AI as well.

My biggest opposition to ending the round immediately is that players who have been hard at work (hopefully) doing their jobs lose all that progress when the round ends suddenly. If it's a Wizard round and the Wizard has spent the first 15 minutes of the round running around harassing the Security staff and blowing things up it matters very little to the botanist who just mutated their first plant successfully.

Unfortunately there are also going to be times where the antag causes so much damage that the remainder of the round will be spent fixing things and cloning the dead.

My proposed solution is to put it to a vote. When the antag dies you get a message like the one at the 2-hour mark of the shift.

"The Wizard/Nuke Ops team/Malf AI/Vox Raider team is dead, type "vote" now to decide if the round continues!"

Hell, even if the vote goes in favor of continuing the round the Command staff could later call in a shuttle if it's decided the damage is too extensive to repair. Or call in an Engineering ERT to allow some of those players who were unsaveable to rejoin the round.

This would also give any Admins on a chance to throw in an event or set up a secret antag.

Thoughts?

Obviously the vote message would only include the one type of antag that was actually involved in the round.

If it was a Wizard round the message would say:

"The Wizard is dead! Please type "vote" now to decide whether or not the round should continue!"

If it was a malf AI the message would say:

"The malfunctioning AI has been destroyed! Please type "vote" now to decide whether or not the round should continue!"

Etc., etc., you get the picture.

There have been times when everything went right in the round, where the Antag/Antags got steamrolled that half of the server didn't realize existed and were surprised by the round suddenly ending and grief kicking off destroying someone's work they put in for that round. Thumbs up from me!

Some kind of variation on this idea would BE great. I hate whenever you start to get into a round, that stuff.

And then the blob shows up, which in most cases, ends the round in about 15 minutes if the crew works together correctly. It also just feels a bit off logically, in the other 'secret' game modes (traitor, ling, so on) the round ends when they shuttle arrives at CC.

It allows for a ending to the round. The round ending just because syndies have died makes it seem like running into a brick wall when the crew can attempt to repair or call the emergency shuttle (for, you know, emergency's) to end the round.

I would like it from a better RP POV. Allows for logical endings, even if the antags are dead. Like it was said above, the crew can just call the shuttle if they are unable to fix the damage.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. After the primary antags of a round are dead, it basically becomes extended until the transfer shuttle. As it stands now, I notice most rounds last the entire two hours until a transfer shuttle, and a lot of these uneventful rounds are quite, well, boring for most people. Not only that, but what becomes of the victims of the antags? Maybe some rounds should be kept short and sweet. I understand that the players are given the opportunity to vote, but this seems a little...forced? I don't know.

I fully agree with that. Not giving a chance to atmo / engineer to actually repair whatever damage is merely insulting those "support" jobs. Offcourse there are times where the damage is just too much, but most of the time your able to fix / work around unrepaireable area in a matter of 5-10minutes if the engineering staff work together.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. After the primary antags of a round are dead, it basically becomes extended until the transfer shuttle. As it stands now, I notice most rounds last the entire two hours until a transfer shuttle, and a lot of these uneventful rounds are quite, well, boring for most people. Not only that, but what becomes of the victims of the antags? Maybe some rounds should be kept short and sweet. I understand that the players are given the opportunity to vote, but this seems a little...forced? I don't know.

I get that extended rounds can be boring, that's why it would be cool for an Admin to step in and prompt some fun events for the players. Engineers still repairing the station from a fireball-happy wizard? Here, have some Meaty-Ores too! Malf AI destroyed? Time to build another one, too bad you're without an AI who can help you track those xenomorphs that just popped up! The round can absolutely still be interesting.

As far as dealing with the victims of the antags, well, ideally the medbay will be cloning every dead body they can get their hands on. For uncloneable crew they could be borged (although I know not everyone appreciates that.) This is another area where Admin prompting events will help. People stuck observing could, as I stated in my original post, be called in as an Engineering ERT to help fix the damage. If most of Security is dead from facing down Nuke Ops then a regular ERT could be sent in to function as a security team until more officers are sent to the station to replace the dead ones. Some of the dead players could end up as xeno larvae, cortical borers, etc. There's plenty of options for getting them back into the round, really.

I get that extended rounds can be boring, that's why it would be cool for an Admin to step in and prompt some fun events for the players. Engineers still repairing the station from a fireball-happy wizard? Here, have some Meaty-Ores too! Malf AI destroyed? Time to build another one, too bad you're without an AI who can help you track those xenomorphs that just popped up! The round can absolutely still be interesting.

As far as dealing with the victims of the antags, well, ideally the medbay will be cloning every dead body they can get their hands on. For uncloneable crew they could be borged (although I know not everyone appreciates that.) This is another area where Admin prompting events will help. People stuck observing could, as I stated in my original post, be called in as an Engineering ERT to help fix the damage. If most of Security is dead from facing down Nuke Ops then a regular ERT could be sent in to function as a security team until more officers are sent to the station to replace the dead ones. Some of the dead players could end up as xeno larvae, cortical borers, etc. There's plenty of options for getting them back into the round, really.

I'd like to point out that nobody is ever "uncloneable" unless they have left the game/their body and refuse to rejoin the round.

Borging someone when cloning is an option (and it always is) amounts to murder.

Can't clone Vox, Plasma people, or Slime people. I know you can put their brain in another body and clone that but usually that's not seen as a viable option, is it?

cOUGH COUGH chainsaw gibbings COUGH COUGH

Also removes the brain, at which point borging is irrelevant.

If you can borg someone, you can always also clone them.

It looks like this is as simple as changing the server configuration option "continuous rounds", which will spawn a shuttle transfer vote once the round ends. So, as simple as one of the admins with relevant access setting that option on. If they don't respond to that, I can make a PR to have that variable to be set to true because whatever, I guess I can do what I can on my end too.

They haven't whenever I played with them.

It's pulverized the brain when I have messed around in local with it.

Edited by Guest

Yes, the aftermath is an important part of the experience and benefits so much for pretty much all departments but security. However I would loath it to turn into an extended round due to a vote.

I propose that 30 minutes continue after the instant-round an tags have been dealt with before a shuttle is automatically called so that NT can clean up, gather aftermath reports, etcetera etcetera (without anyone knowing that they all died).

This would allow medical and engineer much fun as well as other departments, giving them time to experience what happened and do stuff but not cause extended round.

They haven't whenever I played with them.

It's pulverized the brain when I have messed around in local with it.

That's what I meant by removed, bad word choice!

Anyways, still in support of this - maybe just for WIZARD really.

I really like the idea of the round continuing after a malf AI is taken out, though. First off Science has to get to work building a new AI core and finding someone who's willing to be the new AI. New cyborgs will likely need to be built as well. Engineering will need to repair the damage done by the malf AI's minion cyborgs as well as get to work fixing any doors that were bolted open/closed, any APCs that were emagged by the AI, and fixing cameras that were cut by the crew. Security will have to run around making sure people are staying out of areas that they're not supposed to be in since, again, some doors may be bolted open. Medbay will likely be full of people with cyborg-induced wounds or burn damage from shocked doors, or needing lung repair because they tried to get to the AI satellite via open space rather than the tube system.

A blob round is another one where the aftermath is fun to play out. Players get killed by the blob and turned into blob zombies (can they even be cloned at that point?) The blob does a ton of structural damage that will need to be repaired. Security has to deal with tons of people having weapons after the fact because R&D prints out guns all willy nilly and the Captain or HoP swings by the open up the lockboxes for 'em so randoms can arm themselves to help fight the blob.

There's tons of potential to keep the round interesting after the primary antag has died and, again, while the station is still in recovery mode we could have any number of events, or even turn it into an auto-traitor round. Hell, it could even be combined with a traitor round from the start so the traitors could take advantage of the chaos to get their objectives done.

nuke ops as well at the very least. When they win the round is over either way, and sometime they lose without doing much if any damage at all.

The round isn't actually over when nuke-ops show up or all die.

This is a case of command going "oh, the nuke-ops are all dead. Oh well, let's evacuate anyways."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use