Make Destroyed Objective Items Respawn

Leanfrog

Title makes it pretty clear, objective items should respawn if they're destroyed in some manner, E.G CE accidentally dusting themselves on the SM like 5 minutes in destroying both the boots and blueprints. Already got people willing to code this, just want a design team take on it.

• Like 1

In support of this, otherwise people cannot complete their objectives out of no fault of their own.

All unique objective items should be reorderable through the cargo console or something, it would not be a terribly difficult thing to code.

• Like 1

I remember years ago playing as a Xenomorph and seeing they are fully able to spit acid on important items like the CE'd hardsuit and the HOS's gun, melting them into oblivion.

If it wasn't for the fact that it generally meant the station was infested to the point of nuking, it definitely seemed unfair to any potential antags that round; especially for one that actually could manage to sneak/break into a xeno nest to get the HOS/CE corpse only to find their important stuff is a puddle of goo.

Edited by Pckables

Do we want some sort of station or CC announcement to explain this? Like seeing an announcement saying "We detected that the Station Blueprints were just destroyed. You can order a new one through cargo. Be more careful with this one."

I have no particular opinion on how it's respawned, I just don't want it being randomly spawned like the disk currently is where some grayshirt can find it and squirrel it away for the rest of the round, with the disk you usually have the pinpointer, so this isn't as much of a problem.

well, in most cases the item could just respawn with a note of destruction at the fax of the corresponding owner, however, hand teleporter, functional ai, secret documents, sm sliver, and plutonium core, where the hand teleporters can just be teleported back to its original spawn location, ai would be gone, documents would respawn, and sliver and core would just be destroyed, unless only one can be stolen per round.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:22 AM, SteelSlayer said:

Do we want some sort of station or CC announcement to explain this? Like seeing an announcement saying "We detected that the Station Blueprints were just destroyed. You can order a new one through cargo. Be more careful with this one."

This sounds like the best way to handle it, let them reorder through cargo instead of "magically" teleporting it back. NAD should be the only item that teleports back (so it functions fine in nukies)

Edited by S34N

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 10:56 PM, S34N said:

This sounds like the best way to handle it, let them reorder through cargo instead of "magically" teleporting it back. NAD should be the only item that teleports back (so it functions fine in nukies)

It is stil not a great solution because what if people order those items when they are not destroyed. This would make the objectives way to easy. and just making it really expensive wouldn't work aswel as then either the head has to waste all their depertment money or they see no need to buy it as it is an mayor emergancy. Only the CE stuff would make sense as they get dusted on the decent pace. The more I think of this the less I like this idea so for me from a balance issue it is a no.

These are some rather complex new solutions when we already have a working solution in-game, but for crew-based objectives:

When your assassinate target - for example - moves into cryo storage, you automatically get a new target. If object-based objectives worked the same way if/when they were destroyed that would solve this issue (only no-longer working when all steal-able items were destroyed - at which point you probably have bigger issues).

This avoids having objective items order-able (in which case every object objective becomes - emagg the cargo terminal and get a new one), and avoids a weird hand-wave of replacement items just spawning in.

Having said all that; the best solution - imo - is the one which we are currently using: adminhelp if your objective is unachievable and the admins will find something that works for you.

• Like 3

I like Nerfection's idea there. Largely because it slightly increases the likelihood of antag-on-antag violence, which is always a great thing.
This is a good paranoia that we should promote. Antagonists should be dog-eats-dog world. If your buddy promises to watch your back, check their pockets for a garotte.

Yes, I avoid other antags and, when met, always lie about my objectives to them. How could you tell?

Edited by Gatchapod

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use