Diversifying the races

Purpose2

There is a lot of talk of diversifying the races, and all over about forty different threads....

Dump some ideas in here and I'll amalgamate it, and make it easier to have the conversation with clarified thoughts and ideas.

Already got a load of submissions from Discord.... just keep adding them, there is no limit to what you can add... just keep your memes and trolling to a minimum.

https://goo.gl/forms/w1dTeX5JjRjTQW5E3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually talked about potential Diona changes in staff chat on the Discord.

Some of the ideas I had were:

- Tie their healing ability to their nutrition.

- Make their nutrition require plant matter.

- Regeneration rate is slowed (I'm open to debate about the appropriate amount)

- Increase movement speed to account for this debuff to regeneration (again, open to debate about an appropriate amount)

Make dionae less susceptable to stamina damage but leave the slow speed. Do the other changes Keroman just wrote.

This will make them really different and strong in CQC. Plants can't be shocked that easy

@ Keroman no no no That A HUGE debuff for them as they don't eat, bucause they have no Mouth to speak of.... and that they only need light to live... and given if the regen is slow down then what you say to offset the debuff? so far for cons, They slow as hell, 2 sparys of plant be gone and they are dead, and need light to live, and weak to burn damage... now you want to add needing plant matter to live? oh god that will just Tie them down to the job of Botanist just to LIVE, YOU EVIL MAN!

Ps. do you really think that the Botanist will give the plant matter to them for free? hahaha, no.

You basicly Killed all diona if this is added.

@ Keroman no no no That A HUGE debuff for them as they don't eat, bucause they have no Mouth to speak of.... and that they only need light to live... and given if the regen is slow down then what you say to offset the debuff? so far for cons, They slow as hell, 2 sparys of plant be gone and they are dead, and need light to live, and weak to burn damage... now you want to add needing plant matter to live? oh god that will just Tie them down to the job of Botanist just to LIVE, YOU EVIL MAN!

Ps. do you really think that the Botanist will give the plant matter to them for free? hahaha, no.

You basicly Killed all diona if this is added.

Well to start with it'd be fairly easy to make it so they CAN eat. I don't intend that they MUST eat to avoid penalties (for instance, how Humans slow down if they don't eat enough), just that their regeneration works by drawing on their nutrition and they gain nutrition by consuming plantmatter. Their regeneration rate right now, even just in regular light, is pretty ridiculous - and this is coming from someone who does play a diona character off and on.

But this is all hypothetical anyways. Diona are significantly different from other species already so there's not really a reason to start changing them around unless we're trying to affect game balance.

I submitted a nice wall of text for you.

Diona are fine as is IMO, plenty of buffs with a decent drawback and an Achilles heel.

If anything they're a pretty good template for what the other races should be, requiring a slightly different playstyle whilst not be too OP or too weak.

@ Keroman but they were made to eat plant matter then they will Job tie to one job and Mostly die off station in the 1st 10 mins due to the Botanists won't give them the plantmatter unless they are the Botanist, And you know how greedy we players are.

Hell! I try to borrow a hand labeler from crago and they say no, Most of the time you have to jump a LOT of hoops to get what you want.

If this was add then You doom all diona players and i'm not fucking joking round man, it feel like that you really want to remove the diona form the game.

@ Keroman but they were made to eat plant matter then they will Job tie to one job and Mostly die off station in the 1st 10 mins due to the Botanists won't give them the plantmatter unless they are the Botanist, And you know how greedy we players are.

Hell! I try to borrow a hand labeler from crago and they say no, Most of the time you have to jump a LOT of hoops to get what you want.

If this was add then You doom all diona players and i'm not fucking joking round man, it feel like that you really want to remove the diona form the game.

TBF arrivals botany is a thing.

Making them dependent on plant matter is a bit much though, why not just raw plants?

No, Making them to eat food that will be another debuff for them.

If anything just leave them along, they just fine as is, don't need to be mess with...

TBF arrivals botany is a thing.

that get raided and all it's tools and seeds is missing or gone.

If they were made to have to need to eat raw or even just plant matter that will be another achilles heel for them due to they "Forced" to be tie to one job, the Botanist or try to not get the arrivals botany raid and have all it's tools and seeds stolen. In fucking short if this was add you discouraging players from playing the race diona, and we have so few of them as is, and i'm one of them, and I mainly play the hop as him and if this was added I will force to abuse my powers to make the Botanists to get me food, or i will fire them.

Why all the hate for Diona, what have they ever done to you??? I'm serious about this, I'm Not joking round... What Have They Done To You For All This Hate???

I submitted a nice wall of text for you.

Diona are fine as is IMO, plenty of buffs with a decent drawback and an Achilles heel.

If anything they're a pretty good template for what the other races should be, requiring a slightly different playstyle whilst not be too OP or too weak.

I consider diona to be very much on the weak side, as someone who played them exclusively.

Dionae have 4 major weaknesses. They're slow, viruses rapidly kill them, they can't wear hardshits, and plant-b-gone does like 50 toxin damage per spray. They used to heal toxin damage and have extra brute damage, and could benefit from genetics radiation and super speed. That was all nerfed and removed, leaving them in a sad state. Btw, diona are actually some of the most resistant to fire of all the species.

There is no job that a diona does more effectively than a human. The lower speed kills their productivity and any job dealing with radiation or vacuum offers a hardsuit, which diona can't even use for the armor.

From a lore perspective, diona feed on radiation, largely solar radiation but not exclusively. Personally, I think it's fine to have them gain nutrition from light, but cause them to rapidly lose nutrition while healing even in the light. Diona do have mouths and can eat and drink, but this would limit the sustained healing diona are capable of, as they would run out of nutrition amd then have their healing stop until they could build up enough for the next tick. You could also reduce their slowdown (but still leave them the slowest) and have them heal all four damage types at the rate that they heal burns.

I'd support removing dionae mouths (meaning they can't stuff themselves and can only get nutrition from light and radiation) but that would make them immune to facehuggers.

Snip

Please lets keep this constructive.

Remember there are no dumb ideas, only dumb people.

So submit all your proposed thoughts, then we can approach lots of this all at once...

but that would make them immune to facehuggers.

Not necessarily a bad thing, imo.

IPCs are "immune" to facehuggers. They can't get infected but the facehuggers can still attack them and make them fall unconscious. Whether or not it's a bug is a question, but I don't really care either way.

...Not that it matters too much, xenos can kill IPCs in 5 seconds by clawing the chest.

If anything just leave them along, they just fine as is, don't need to be mess with...

Why all the hate for Diona, what have they ever done to you??? I'm serious about this, I'm Not joking round... What Have They Done To You For All This Hate???

Wew lad I think you're overthinking it a little there, I don't even play diona but on paper they're mostly balanced.

Not ideal, but "balanced", could probably do with another little something to make up for that speed loss.

I consider diona to be very much on the weak side, as someone who played them exclusively.

I don't play the pod people so it's good to have the opinion of someone who does.

The speed reduction is the big negative they get, instead of throwing in a bunch of stuff about rads which would no doubt require IPC levels of code snowflaking probably better to just make them not quite so slow.

I've murdered a lot of diona with plant spray and it is a bit overkill, having it act like acid for their skin that nullifies their regening and makes them rapidly become malnourished instead of a u ded spray would be better.

And they're de facto space proof aren't they? Just need to bring a light source with them?

Anyways, I made a thread about a new race and it was a long time ago.

I called them the phantom ghost.

here a run down on them :3

Specie : phantom ghost.

Origin: unknown.

strengths: takes very little brute damage because they are made out of Ectoplasm, have no bones, have no need for food or air, have no feet, it flying in the air meaning all ground base traps don't work on them, aka they don't set them off.

weaknesses: very weak to any type of energy weapons and if stun it will last 2x and take damage because they are made out of Ectoplasm, it's blood is it's Ectoplasm, meaning you cant give it blood, it have to regenerate the lost Ectoplasm slowly, have no brain and cant be cloned, cant go into space without a special made hardsuit, cant wear any shoes, only can wear clothing that made out of Ectoplasm so it have to use it own blood to make his clothing, or convert existing clothing that cost less.

special power : super spin chair make a chair to spin for 1 min.

And they're de facto space proof aren't they? Just need to bring a light source with them?

Correct. Dionae are Pressure immune and do not breathe, even a PDA light is enough just to not die from darkness. ( I don't THINK they even need that, given how bright space is, but It's been ages since I played plantbro, do not quote me on this.)

I think they also move faster when in space, like Hardsuits do, but again, do not quote me on this.

I can fix that for you, No they do get slowed down in space or in the cold places, but only time they move fast is when they next to a wall or stuff that you can take a hold of with your hands while in space.

A (probably) easy way of diversifying the species a bit would be to make herbivores and carnivores only able to get nutrition from plants and meat respectively.

This is of course assuming that this isn't already the case. There are diet flags for this, but I don't think they do anything.

A (probably) easy way of diversifying the species a bit would be to make herbivores and carnivores only able to get nutrition from plants and meat respectively.

This is of course assuming that this isn't already the case. There are diet flags for this, but I don't think they do anything.

A lot of the little differences like that and glove clipping was purged because balance and species standardisation.

Probably won't get back in since the gleichschaltung is ongoing.

Wew lad I think you're overthinking it a little there, I don't even play diona but on paper they're mostly balanced.

Not ideal, but "balanced", could probably do with another little something to make up for that speed loss.

I don't play the pod people so it's good to have the opinion of someone who does.

The speed reduction is the big negative they get, instead of throwing in a bunch of stuff about rads which would no doubt require IPC levels of code snowflaking probably better to just make them not quite so slow.

I've murdered a lot of diona with plant spray and it is a bit overkill, having it act like acid for their skin that nullifies their regening and makes them rapidly become malnourished instead of a u ded spray would be better.

Diona are already coded to gain nutrition and heal from rads.

A lot of the little differences like that and glove clipping was purged because balance and species standardisation.

Probably won't get back in since the gleichschaltung is ongoing.

Removing the glove clipping doesn't make any sense to me. It just seems like a lazy move that buffs clawed races who are already better than humans mechanically.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use