Science Job SOP --- COMPLETE!

TullyBBurnalot

I'm still going to stand by on it being a CMO to evaluate an individuals health and psyche for genetic manipulations rather than the RD or captain.

First and foremost, biomods pose a security risk. The captain is technically the most knowledgeable person on the station (right after AI) when it comes to current threats, dangers and the general status of the station. He's aware of all security matters currently going on the station (unless he's a shit).

CMO is not. RD is not. You can get yourself arrested for creating workplace hazards if you allow the distribution of hulk gene to general crew.

People will still go to the captain even if CMO/RD refuse, but in this case - Captain will merely advise, plead or educate the other heads - that's not a bad thing, it's what NT Reps normally do.

I just want to make you aware of a potential conflict that might arise. Since biomods concern all of us, all of the station - not just one department, really - it could be resolved via democracy or command voting. No-breathe or shockproof gene for engineers? Well, CE, sorry - CMO refused, can't have that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically I don't think all of genetic distribution needs to be covered by SoP, simply ones that are easily abusable such as ice powers, TK, matter eater and hulk.

Anything that could be reasonably construed as a weapon.

I'm still going to stand by on it being a CMO to evaluate an individuals health and psyche for genetic manipulations rather than the RD or captain.

First and foremost, biomods pose a security risk. The captain is technically the most knowledgeable person on the station (right after AI) when it comes to current threats, dangers and the general status of the station. He's aware of all security matters currently going on the station (unless he's a shit).

CMO is not. RD is not. You can get yourself arrested for creating workplace hazards if you allow the distribution of hulk gene to general crew.

People will still go to the captain even if CMO/RD refuse, but in this case - Captain will merely advise, plead or educate the other heads - that's not a bad thing, it's what NT Reps normally do.

I just want to make you aware of a potential conflict that might arise. Since biomods concern all of us, all of the station - not just one department, really - it could be resolved via democracy or command voting. No-breathe or shockproof gene for engineers? Well, CE, sorry - CMO refused, can't have that.

For one : I was meaning in a lore and realistic point.

Second: ALL heads should be up to date on current urgent matters and it is captains/HoS that should tell the others what is going on, ESPECIALLY if it part of their staff that is the problem. That is simply lack of communication and keeping other heads in the dark.

Third: The really should not hand out hulks to everyone. That is just neglect.

Fourth : I'm not saying cmo/rd should deny engineers/security no breath/ X-ray but that they nearly get some form of authorization from cmo/rd. It helps the geneticist cover his ass if it turned out one of those staff was an antagonist.

Edited by Guest

Again, the whole point of the authorization is to make sure that both the CMO and RD are kept up to speed on just what the Geneticist is doing, rather than the near-complete free reign they have now.

Seeing as the technically fall under those two in terms of authority, just asking for permissions over comms is more than enough. Simultaneously, it lets the CMO/RD rightfully call BS when Powers are being distributed without permission.

Geneticist 6: Body doubles: In the event a body double is provided with the appropriate approval, security and the Head of Personnel shall be notified and provided the opportunity to update security and employment records.

Added.

I think it'd be best to make it clear who can override who. If the Captain says no, then the RD/CMO can't say yes. If the Captain says they don't care/are busy, RD says no, CMO says yes - who overrides who?

I like the rules but ....

"The Geneticist is not permitted to ignore Cloning, and must provide Clean SE Injectors when required. In addition, the Geneticist must make sure that Cloning is stocked with Biomass and the Cryotubes stocked with Cryoxadone"

--> Clean SE sure nice

--> but biomass and cryotubes are the duty of the chemist

And Genetics is Medical not Science

Technically speaking, Genetics is Medical and Science. The reason they're included in Science Job SOP is that most of their work veers towards Science than Medicine.

In addition, the Geneticist's job description includes "Cloning" since, technically, that does impact their field of work. That SOP Guideline isn't meant to say "Geneticist must make Biomass", it's meant to mean "Genetics has to make sure Cloning has Biomass, somehow".

However, I'll remove the cryotubes part, as I can see your point.

EDIT: Chemist Job SOP actually has a part about maintaining Biomass and Cryoxadone as well, so the two can work in tandem.

Quick Edit: removed the part about carrying an E-Gun during Code Red, as I was not aware they could only make Advanced E-Guns.

And added a replacement.

Quick Edit 2: Added a bit about Civilians still having to fill out a form, but requiring no stamps, for Cyborgification.

As a note, seeing as geneticists never have, and never will actually see to the cloning of people (I saw a geneticist clone someone all of one time, ever) the cloning section in the wiki has been entirely separated from the genetics page and is now under Guide to Cadavers.

I've seen a few geneticist actually bother, and I did as well when I tried it out.

If you take cloning out of the geneticist then there is almost no point to have them on the medical staff.

Idunno about anyone else but to me it feels like the job of cloning falls under a job type such as geneticist.

Just get your Genetics team to move their asses when bodies start dropping that have to be cloned. If that happened and the geneticists didn't do anything...I'd fire them. At the very least the need to stock up the biomass while others scan, strip, and dump in cryopods when they come out.

I've seen a few geneticist actually bother, and I did as well when I tried it out.

If you take cloning out of the geneticist then there is almost no point to have them on the medical staff.

Idunno about anyone else but to me it feels like the job of cloning falls under a job type such as geneticist.

Just get your Genetics team to move their asses when bodies start dropping that have to be cloned. If that happened and the geneticists didn't do anything...I'd fire them. At the very least the need to stock up the biomass while others scan, strip, and dump in cryopods when they come out.

Fair enough.

I'm biased as I hate genetics with a fiery passion (Jacob Ryals is a pretty cool guy though).

Honestly the present mapping setup is not conducive to geneticists even noticing bodies stacking up, to be fair.

I think it'd be best to make it clear who can override who. If the Captain says no, then the RD/CMO can't say yes. If the Captain says they don't care/are busy, RD says no, CMO says yes - who overrides who?

Actually completely missed this. Will work on something when I get home later.

Actually completely missed this. Will work on something when I get home later.

I believe in the standard chain of command, the CMO is the lowest and therefore would be overruled by the RD, at least if memory serves.

Captain -> HoP -> HoS -> RD -> CE -> CMO.

It'd therefore make sense for the RD to override the CMO.

I might be wrong, as the lines get a little blurry in my mind after you have no HoS, HoP or Captain.

Command succession is not the same as chain of command.

RD does not command CMO or medbay until RD replaces Captain.

Roboticist should answer to the RD. Aside from due diligence, the Roboticist is not responsible for the RD overriding the Captain.

Command succession is not the same as chain of command.

RD does not command CMO or medbay until RD replaces Captain.

Roboticist should answer to the RD. Aside from due diligence, the Roboticist is not responsible for the RD overriding the Captain.

This is in reference to an instance where the Captain does not care, the RD says yes, and the CMO says no.

The RD would pull more weight in a shared departmental setting without higher-level intervention going by command succession.

This isn't about the RD commanding medbay (even the Captain doesn't do that, that's the CMO's job) as it is about genetics (a shared department).

It is my understanding that:

The RD does not outrank the CMO.

The HoP does not outrank the CMO.

Both are just going to be promoted to captain before CMO if the captain is lost.

If RD outranks the CMO in matters relating to robotics, then it's the RD's department. Not a shared department.

If either both or either approval is needed, then it is a shared department.

I believe genetics should report to the CMO because he is the one whose department responsibility (cloning) depends on their highest priority function, which is life critical. They should not do research when there are bodies to clone.

But even if genetics is under the RD department, then it's perfectly doable that giving powers to non-command requires a CMO approval. Just like borging requiring an HoP approval.

Though it happens in SS13, I don't think SOP should consider eventualities like "if the Captain does not care". The captain, formally, cares about everything, but has usually delegated much responsibility.

It is my understanding that:

The RD does not outrank the CMO.

The HoP does not outrank the CMO.

Both are just going to be promoted to captain before CMO if the captain is lost.

If RD outranks the CMO in matters relating to robotics, then it's the RD's department. Not a shared department.

If either both or either approval is needed, then it is a shared department.

I believe genetics should report to the CMO because he is the one whose department responsibility (cloning) depends on their highest priority function, which is life critical. They should not do research when there are bodies to clone.

But even if genetics is under the RD department, then it's perfectly doable that giving powers to non-command requires a CMO approval. Just like borging requiring an HoP approval.

Though it happens in SS13, I don't think SOP should consider eventualities like "if the Captain does not care". The captain, formally, cares about everything, but has usually delegated much responsibility.

Specifically this is in question to handing out genetic powers, where the RD says yes and the CMO says no.

But I digress.

I don't believe that's correct, by my understanding. My interpretation on SOP, regardless of job, has always been that most heads are equal level, and one doesn't have more of a say than the other. I believe the only way to solve something like that, would either be to pick sides.

I could be very much wrong on this, and I would like someone, who actually knows what they're talking about with some competency (I don't have this) to shed some light on it.

Biomods are primarily an issue of security, not just public health.

HoS may not like the risks and problems that come with some of these modifications.

There is at least one biomod that directly concerns medical (coldproof - cryo stops working), but the rest? No fingerprints, shockproof, omni-eater, cryokinesis, invisibility, identity theft, stun-farts...

All beneficial, offering some useful abilities for the antags.

Also: viral augmentations. CMO should know the risks, the symptoms and other things, as it isn't as clear-cut as DNA powers. In this case it's fairly obvious that it's CMO's area of expertise.

How does the Robotics SOP handle the creation of mech equipment for Research and Development? Do scientists have to go through the Captain/HoS to get the okay to destructive analyze mech weaponry? Does this mean that RnD is bound by SOP to get research up manually by actually the doing the job alone? (Which I think makes RnD more fun even if it does get more tedious)

Considering the significant boost in research the exosuit equipment can have, will this be reflected in the current alert level of the station? For instance, Code Green/Blue requires a scientist to do work on Research without the use of mech equipment and Code Red gives the exception of using equipment to help raise research levels as quickly as possible.

Or is this decision ultimately left up to Robotics because it would expend their own resources?

When taking this into account I also think it's important to understand that RnD tends to be neglected on slower rounds, so an RD may just throw in mech equipment to boost levels and breeze through research.

In terms of the chain of command, as far as I am aware of (WIKI), Captain - HoP - VOTE AMONGST remaining HEADS - (Magistrate?) - NT Rep

It is just that 90% of the time, HoS gets picked and is generally the better and recommended option.

The reason why you need HoP to approve of a borging is because it affects the crew manifest and shortens the amount of available hands on deck. The HoP needs to know what job positions are strong and which need more staff and manage accordingly ( as far as I see it ).

This is why you go to them when someone needs to be hired for this job or demoted for that job.

For the same reason, the CMOs concern is the health of the crew and all related health matters.

Does this crew member need a robotic heart or a donor? Does this Vox need a no-breath to smooth the surgery operation? Is this person mentally sound ( no psychiatrists )? Do we give robotics this brain ( hell no never my option) or use genetics to grow a new body? You get what I mean.

The CMO has ( or should have ) as much authority in regards to health matters as Security does to keeping the station safe, the CE to keeping the station functional, and the RD to keep things advance ( AND SCIENCE! )

Edited by Guest