Science Job SOP --- COMPLETE!

TullyBBurnalot

SCIENCE JOB SOP: Complete

Greetings, aspiring SOP writers. If you've clicked this thread, then you're either interested in contributing to Standard Operating Procedure, or are merely interested in seeing how it's going. Therefore, I shall begin by explaining what this (soon-to-be) megathread is all about:

Part 1: What is this?

Approximately 4 months ago, Necaladun approached me with a personal project of his: a complete overhaul of Standard Operating Procedure, meant to centralize SOP in such a way that allowed for more interaction with the Legal sub-Department, more actual guidelines on how to conduct one's performance, and generally formalize what was once only nebulous guidelines in an effort to get everyone on the same page.

This was the project that led to the current version of Security SOP. However, it was left half done, as Necaladun took his leave shortly after Sec SOP was added, and the project crumbled from lack of interest/time. However, I continued the project, but only recently picked it back up in full. The point of this megathread will be to, at the end of the line, have a single, well-defined, centralized Standard Operating Procedure that everyone can look at and fully comprehend, without any self-contradictory information. This, of course, will be changed in the Wiki, which is still the main source of information for the playerbase.

Part 2: How does it work?

Seeing as I actually have most of this stuff already written down, the process will be quite simple, and I'll break it down in stages:

Stage 1: Selection of which part of SOP to look at, out of provided options (because we have to start somewhere). This will be done via poll;

Stage 2: Proposal of new SOP. This will come from myself, again, because I have pretty much most of it already written down, so we have a solid base to go from;

Stage 3: General feedback from the community. This is the main part of the process, as it will be the one where everyone can pitch in, say which parts are right, which parts are wrong, what should be changed, etc;

Stage 4: Amendments made to SOP based on this feedback, and continued discussion, until a finalized version is produced;

Stage 5: SOP is posted on the Wiki;

Stage 6: Refer to Stage 1

Do keep in mind the following: everyone is permitted to pitch in. If you believe you have anything to add to the discussion, please do, but do try to keep this on track and problem-oriented, otherwise we'll never get off the drawing board.

Part 3: What does it entail?

The following are the proposed additions to this new, centralized SOP:

1. Security Job SOP; (added by Necaladun before he took his leave)

2. Engineering Job SOP;

Medical Job SOP;

Service Job SOP;

Supply Job SOP;

Science Job SOP (finalized!)

In addition to the basic SOP for each Department, I also propose:

1. Departmental SOP (as in, general guidelines for each Department that everyone should follow);

2. Command SOP (in-depth SOP for each member of Command, not in Guideline form);

Legal SOP (standardization of Legal procedures and the action of the Legal sub-Department);

A revised General SOP, for each Color Code. This will include Safety Regulations

As you can see, this is a rather big project and, as such, will be tackled in small stages. At each point, the completed section of SOP will be crossed out, and a notification written. At the end of the journey, a single, massive Standard Operating Procedure page will be added to the wiki, with all the above SOPs for everyone to look at. In addition, of course, to their own specific pages.

And now, you've reached the end of the page. It's time to start, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised so many people voted engineering, I'd rather see SoP on science first personally as that's a department that typically abuses a lot of their power/authority/things they are provided with whereas engineering is generally speaking pretty laid back.

Also because it includes genetics.

Surprised so many people voted engineering, I'd rather see SoP on science first personally as that's a department that typically abuses a lot of their power/authority/things they are provided with whereas engineering is generally speaking pretty laid back.

Also because it includes genetics.

If people knew what horrors i have committed in genetics, everyone would be picking science, plus all the "average" geneticist playing god and giving all the greytide the means to be more than a nuisance.

also, science can test out their murderchems and syringe mixes for maximum minmaxing of murrrrrdeeeer in the sci. chemlab, imagine if it was actually used outside of science...

They have access to colored slime that may or may not produce xenos, sentient trees and/or sentient slimes

And then fukken robotics, when R&D get lockboxes around their weapons, robotics can build a unecessary METAL GEAR HONKMECH/DURAND and possibly RUIN THE STATION!

Only problem is that we need to touch up on science SOP if xenoarch decides to ever come back after a long time

I personally voted engineering for 2 reason:

1) Science getting too friendly with their toys frequently ends with Admin intervention anyway;

2) I know just how bloody massive my Science SOP is (especially considering it has Code Green, Blue and Red), so I'd rather start off small.

Right, seeing as Science just took over in terms of voting, here we go.

Alright, there are 4 unique jobs pertaining to the Science Department: Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist and, for the sake of standardization, Geneticist, seeing as they nearly always align more with Science than Medbay.

Foreword: Job SOP should not be a considered a checklist of conditions to fire someone over. As always, SOP can be malleable if the situation so requires, and the decision to punish a crewmember for breaching it ultimately falls onto the relevant Head of Staff, for Department Members, or Captain, for the Head of Staff.

Proposed Job SOP is as follows:

Research Director:

Code Green:

1. The Research Director must make sure Research is being done. Research must be completed by the end of the shift, assuming Science is provided the materials for it by Supply;

2. The Research Director is permitted to carry a telescopic baton;

The Research Director is permitted to carry their Reactive Teleport Armour on their person. However, it is highly recommended they keep it inactive unless necessary, for personal safety;

The Research Director is not permitted to authorize the construction of AI Units without the Captain’s approval. Exception is made if the station was not provided with an AI Unit, or a previous AI Unit had to be destroyed;

The Research Director is not permitted to authorize Anomalous Artifacts to be brought onto the station prior to full testing and cataloguing; (leaving this here just in case we ever get Xenoarch back)

The Research Director must keep the Communications Decryption Key on their person at all times, or at least somewhere safe and out of reach;

The Research Director is permitted to add beneficial scripts to Telecommunications;

The Research Director is permitted to change the AI Unit’s lawset, provided they receive general approval from the Captain and another Head of Staff. If there are no other Heads of Staff available, Captain approval will suffice;

The Research Director must work with Robotics to make sure all Cyborgs remain slaved to the station’s AI Unit, except in such a situation where the AI Unit has been subverted or is malfunctioning

Code Blue:

1. All Guidelines carry over from Code Green

Code Red:

1. Guidelines 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 carry over from Code Green;

2. In addition to the a telescopic baton, the Research Director is permitted to carry a single weapon created in the Protolathe, provided they receive authorization from the Head of Security. Exception is made during extreme emergencies, such as Nuclear Operatives or Blob Organisms

------------------

Roboticist: (and behold, the one everyone wanted to see)

Code Green:

1. The Roboticist is not permitted to construct Combat Mechs without express permission from the Captain and/or Head of Security. This refers to the Durand, Gygax and Phazon. If permitted, the Mechs is to be delivered to the Armory for storage. The Research Director is placed under the same restrictions;

2. The Roboticist is freely permitted to construct Utility Mechs, along with any assorted Utility Equipment. This refers to Ripleys (to be handed to Mining), Firefighting Ripleys (to be handed to Atmospherics) and the Odysseus Medical Mech (to be handed to Medical). The HONK Mech is not to be constructed without full approval by the Research Director and Captain;

The Roboticist is freely permitted to construct Cyborgs and all assorted equipment;

The Roboticist is not permitted to transfer personnel MMIs into Cyborgs without express written consent from the person in question. The consent form should be kept safe;

The Roboticist is not permitted to construct AI Units without express consent from the Captain;

The Roboticist must place a Tracking Beacon on all constructed Mechs;

The Roboticist must work together with the Research Director to make sure all Cyborgs remain slaved to the station’s AI Unit, except in such a situation where the AI Unit has been subverted or is malfunctioning;

The Roboticist must DNA-Lock all parked Mechs prior to delivery. DNA-Lock must be removed when the Mech is delivered to its final destination

Code Blue:

1. Guidelines 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 carry over from Code Green;

2. The Roboticist is permitted to construct Combat Mechs without prior consent, but must deliver them to the Armory for storage. Failure to comply will result in the Combat Mech being destroyed. Exception is made for extreme emergencies, such as a Blob Organism or Nuclear Operatives, where the Roboticist may pilot the Mech themselves. However, even in these circumstances, the Mech must be delivered to the Armory after the emergency is over. The Research Director is placed under the same restrictions;

Code Red:

1. Guidelines 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 carry over from Code Green;

2. All Guidelines carry over from Code Blue

------------------

Scientist: (no fun allowed)

Code Green:

1. Scientists are not permitted to bring Grenades outside of Science;

2. Scientists are not permitted to bring Toxins Bombs outside of Science. Exception is made if the Toxins Bomb is handed to Mining, as it can be useful for mining operations;

While not mandatory, it is highly recommended that Scientists give a prior warning before a Toxins Test. This must be done via the Common Communication Channel, with at least ten (10) seconds between the warning and detonation;

Scientists are not permitted to use Telescience equipment to acquire objects, items or personnel they do not have access to;

Scientists are, however, permitted to use Telescience equipment to recover dead personnel, provided Medical cannot reach them;

Scientists must, at all times, keep live slimes and Golden Extract-based lifeforms inside Xenobiology pens, except when transporting them to new cells. Peaceful Golden Extract lifeforms may be released with the express permission of the Research Director. In addition, injecting plasma into Golden Extract is strictly forbidden;

Scientists are not permitted to bring Anomalous Artifacts aboard the station without express verbal consent from the Research Director. Regular Xenoarchaeological artifacts are permitted; (again, keeping this here just in case we ever get Xenoarch back)

Scientists are not permitted to construct the Portable Wormhole Generator without express permission from the Research Director. In addition, Scientists are not to hand out Weapon Lockboxes to any non-Security or non-Command personnel without express permission from the Head of Security;

Scientists are not permitted to create AI Core Boards without express permission from the Captain and/or Research Director

Code Blue:

1. Guidelines 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 carry over from Code Green;

2. Scientists are permitted to bring Grenades outside of Science, but only for delivery to the Armory;

Scientists are permitted to bring Toxins Bombs outside of Science, but only for delivery to the Armory. In addition, the Mining exception still applies

Code Red:

1. Guidelines, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 carry over from Code Green;

2. All Guidelines carry over from Code Blue

------------------

Geneticist: (the Fun Police is here)

Code Green:

1. The Geneticist is not permitted to ignore Cloning, and must provide Clean SE Injectors when required, as well as humanized animals if required for Surgery. In addition, the Geneticist must make sure that Cloning is stocked with Biomass;

2. The Geneticist is permitted to test Genetic Powers on themselves. However, they are not to utilize these powers on any crewmembers, nor abuse them to obtain items/personnel outside their access;

The Geneticist is permitted to grant Genetic Powers to Command Staff at their discretion, provided prior permission is requested and granted. All staff must be warned of the full effects of the SE Injector. The Geneticist is not, however, obligated to grant powers, unless the Research Director issues a direct order;

The Geneticist is not permitted to grant Powers to non-Command Staff without express verbal consent from the Research Director. The Chief Medical Officer maintains full authority to forcefully remove these Powers if they are abused;

The Geneticist must place all discarded humanized animals in the Morgue. It is recommended that said discarded humanized animals be directed to the Crematorium;

The Geneticist is not permitted to provide body doubles, unless the Research Director approves it. In addition, Security is to be notified of all doubles;

The Geneticist is not permitted to alter personnel’s UI Status, unless it has been previously tampered with by hostile elements, or permission is given;

The Geneticist is not permitted to use sentient humanoids as test subjects without a signed consent form waiving NanoTrasen of liability

Code Blue:

1. All Guidelines carry over from Code Green

Code Red:

1. All Guidelines carry over from Code Green. In regards to Guideline 4, the Geneticist is permitted to grant Powers to Security personnel, under the same conditions as detailed in Guideline 3

Ladies and gents, may the discussion commence.

Edited by Guest

9 - Atmospheric Technicians must respond immediately to piping and station breaches. Failure to report within ten (10) minutes will be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure, unless there are no spare Atmospheric Technicians to report

I feel like that should be moved to the top of the list for Atmos Tech SOP. Atmospheric crises, while rare, can be potential round-enders unless fixed quickly. I'm not talking about busted pipes here - I'm talking plasma and N2O leaks and such, along with multiple major hull breaches.

Balls

The Research Director is permitted to carry a telescopic baton and an E-Gun.

Beepsky is not going to like that.

The HONK Mech is not to be constructed without full approval by the Research Director and Captain

I appreciate this one a lot. Also, should the HONK mech be considered a combat mech? It certainly has the capability to quickly incapacitate a large number of people, even if it's not outright killing anyone.

Scientists must, at all times, keep live slimes inside their pens, except when transporting them to new cells;

Another one I appreciate. Could this be worded differently to include creatures spawned via gold slimes, but allow for them to be set free provided they have sentience and the RD gives his or her approval?

Scientists are not permitted to construct weapons in the Protolathe without express permission from the Head of Security and/or Captain. Exception is made for the Plasma Pistol, as it useful for completing Research;

It would certainly be a benefit for Scientists to have a list to refer to for what constitutes a "weapon" with regards to this rule. For instance the wormhole generator gun (the portal gun) is something Beepsky will smack you down for even if it's not directly lethal. Likewise syringe guns and rapid syringe guns. Sometimes it's just not clear (unless you're experienced) what things you can print are considered weapons. Lockboxes are not always an indicator.

It would certainly be a benefit for Scientists to have a list to refer to for what constitutes a "weapon" with regards to this rule. For instance the wormhole generator gun (the portal gun) is something Beepsky will smack you down for even if it's not directly lethal. Likewise syringe guns and rapid syringe guns. Sometimes it's just not clear (unless you're experienced) what things you can print are considered weapons. Lockboxes are not always an indicator.

Fixed.

Also, should the HONK mech be considered a combat mech? It certainly has the capability to quickly incapacitate a large number of people, even if it's not outright killing anyone.

As disruptive as it is, the HONK Mech isn't really a Combat Mech per se, which is why I included it in another category.

Roboticist, green, point 5:

HoP doing human resources sounds fun, but I think that clause should not apply to civilians/greytide.

They don't have a job or responsibility, borgs are slaved and if a borg is incompetent - then well, what can you do? Let's be serious - nobody is going to do a background/job check for people applying for cyborgification.

I don't want borging to be a slow process.

General idea: grenades outside RnD not permitted during green, but suddenly permitted in blue?

Typically you'd want restrictions placed on normal crew (and bombs, especially) in blue to control the chaos and/or damage.

Showing off your new funny (and harmless) grenade in green sounds okay to me, but it is in blue when Security is randomly searching people. It's much easier to control the crowd when you have a list of items they definitely shouldn't hold in that place. Since when do people running around with bombs make one's life easier? I mean - I could understand it in special circumstances (red, nukies, blob, whatever), but code blue is not an exception (and SoP often goes to hell in a crisis anyway) - it's a general alert that tells the crew that something's not quite right, and that they should stay vigilant and cooperate with authorities. IMHO bombs should definitely be kept locked in RnD in blue.

Geneticist, rule about body doubles: well, no more multiple Bulmas.

I am going to miss people with humanized monkey doubles. You sure we can't afford letting them have humanized monkey doubles? Sentient/intelligent/player-controlled doubles I fully understand, but this... sounds like taking away that tiny bit of creepy SS13 fun.

Overall, this SoP is fair and cool. I'm surprised!

HoP doing human resources sounds fun, but I think that clause should not apply to civilians/greytide.

Actually agree with that. Will amend it.

General idea: grenades outside RnD not permitted during green, but suddenly permitted in blue?

The idea was they can be brought out, but only if you're delivering them to Security for storage. Will amend to make it more obvious.

You sure we can't afford letting them have humanized monkey doubles?

Hmm..... lemme add something...

The Geneticist is not permitted to provide body doubles;

I think they should be able to provide body doubles for important personell like the captain if he's on a kill list. I've been able to stay safe myself by dressing a genetics body double up like the captain and leaving them in the bar. So maybe alter this so it's allowed if the captain/RD/CMO agrees.

So maybe alter this so it's allowed if the captain/RD/CMO agrees.

Already done. I have already pointed that annoyance out.

Besides, kill lists are arguably one of those exceptions where SoP goes to hell and you're allowed to improvise.

Edited by Guest

• The Geneticist is permitted to grant Genetic Powers to Command Staff at their discretion, provided prior permission is requested and granted. All staff must be warned of the full effects of the SE Injector;

• The Geneticist is not permitted to grant Powers to non-Command Staff without express verbal consent from the Chief Medical Officer, Research Director and/or Captain; (that is, one of those three)

Ok, first one: understandable.

But the second one seems to just give the geneticist someone else to go to when the other says no. Like when a child asks one of their parents for something and goes to the other if told no.

I'm still going to stand by on it being a CMO to evaluate an individuals health and psyche for genetic manipulations rather than the RD or captain. It's medical that will have to clean up whatever mess happens too. We're typically the first ones to be contacted to bring out the mutadone syringe guns or pills.

And of course it is medical that will have to fix the brutal damage the hulks do to people.

Also #5 for roboticist : Exceptions made for civilians on needing stamped HoP approval is what you mean, yes? Still requires signed form though?

But the second one seems to just give the geneticist someone else to go to when the other says no. Like when a child asks one of their parents for something and goes to the other if told no.

That's actually a good point you brought up. I'll swap it over to combined CMO and RD authorization, since Medbay has to handle the aftermath, but Genetics research is still the purview of Science.

Also #5 for roboticist : Exceptions made for civilians on needing stamped HoP approval is what you mean, yes? Still requires signed form though?

I meant they needed no authorization. I'll clarify it.

The actual genetics research and science is done through either injections of themselves, their animals, or authorized volunteer. Getting the kinks out of each block. However the SE injection, in the end, is the final product of the research for use of application, not continued research or testing. At that point all a geneticist can do is turn in the data disk (with an actual K! in this game, I love it.) to the RD, make human batches for medical and keep tabs on cloning. And start begging to apply their final products on any willing soul. At that point it appears to me the scientific portion is all done and wrapped up.

And thanks for listening.

Edited by Guest

What about straying from their workstation? Under blue alert, should prolonged absence be communicated to the department head? At red alert, all crew should remain at their posts, correct?

That'd be something to be included in General SOP, as it affects all jobs.

The actual genetics research and science is done through either injections of themselves, their animals, or authorized volunteer. Getting the kinks out of each block. However the SE injection, in the end, is the final product of the research for use of application, continued research or testing. At that point all a geneticist can do is turn in the data disk (with an actual K! in this game, I love it.) to the RD, make human batches for medical and keep tabs on cloning. And start begging to apply their final products on any willing soul. At that point it appears to me the scientific portion is all done and wrapped up.

That was the intention, really. Even if it's just a piece of paper with "Block X --- Effect Y", that's all that's required.

Geneticist 6: Body doubles: In the event a body double is provided with the appropriate approval, security and the Head of Personnel shall be notified and provided the opportunity to update security and employment records.