Remove research console access requirement

GelatinousGlob

Pretty simple, remove research computer access requirement.

Really, I don't see what it was implemented for in the first place, it just makes science even more powerful than they already were. You can't steal research boards from tech storage and build your own now, science already has shutters (which shouldn't exist if we can't use the computer anyways), and it reduces antag options. Id cards are already fairly difficult to get.

This is especially important in modes like nations, even if you take science, you can't use it unless you get an ID change or kill a scientist.

If nothing else, it should be given a login menu like the comms computer so people can take advantage of lazy scientists that don't log out. It was lucky I just so happened to be the HoP and could give myself access when I was the only person willing to not only do science, but also fix telecomms which needed science parts to do (which is why i had to do research also). Science is many times busy doing any of the many other science jobs and not research.

If I remember this was added in BECAUSE people were breaking in and printing off what ever thy wanted willy nilly, most notably roboticists and security, and it had the access requirements the entire time, they just never worked.

If your a traitor, you can emag the console to remove all access requirements, anywas.

If I remember this was added in BECAUSE people were breaking in and printing off what ever thy wanted willy nilly, most notably roboticists and security

Ooh, yeah. I confess that I used to do this myself.

If you really wanted to get something from the Protolathe via the Research Console as a non-science team member, you have numerous other options that are (but not limited to):

- Asking nicely

- Asking rudely

- Getting a spoken permission from someone holding authority

- Getting a written permission from someone holding authority

- Getting your own permission from a stamp of someone that holds authority

- Bribing a RnD Scientist

- Stealing the ID of an RnD Scientist

(Note: Some of these methods might warrant a broken hand or time in the brig)

In the server room you have access to alter the R&D server's memory or even delete all the research entirely. You can also back up most of the research onto disks and then wipe the computer itself. That last thing it something I considering doing as an RD on red alert, then just keeping the appropriate disks with me or in a wall safe or something like that.

It would be nice if, when you looked into the R&D server, there was an option to force any given item to be printed inside of a lockbox. That wouldn't necessarily stop people from printing things off, and traitors with an emag are still going to get whatever it is they want (but hey, that's what an emag's for) but it could still force other people to actually ask for something rather than wandering in and just taking it.

The research console has a "lock" feature that's only ever used by comdom RDs who want to kill their own department, if the ID requirement were removed making the lock-ability more prominent for science staff would probably be a good idea.

The bad old days had every powergaming atmostech with a fireaxe smashing in so they could setup their own R&D, not necessarily a bad thing, but not needing access makes a bit too easy.

Quite honestly, I think we need to restrict it more.

Currently Blueshields and NT reps (I think?) can and have walked into RnD on a whim and just start printing shit. It's obnoxious.

Currently Blueshields and NT reps (I think?) can and have walked into RnD on a whim and just start printing shit. It's obnoxious.

Exactly, especially when they barge in without any communication about it and disrupt your productive work.

Yeah, that's my biggest rage-inducer, scrub. I'm in the middle of R&D and someone just walks in and starts fucking with the console. I try my damnedest to pay attention to the chat window even with 90% of it covered with the console window, just ask me if you can use it first and I'll probably say yes.

Yeah, that's my biggest rage-inducer, scrub. I'm in the middle of R&D and someone just walks in and starts fucking with the console. I try my damnedest to pay attention to the chat window even with 90% of it covered with the console window, just ask me if you can use it first and I'll probably say yes.

Indeed, especially when they are on harm intent and just start pushing you away from the console only to go back a few tiles to use it.

The research console has a "lock" feature that's only ever used by comdom RDs who want to kill their own department, if the ID requirement were removed making the lock-ability more prominent for science staff would probably be a good idea.

pointless. Screwdriver->screwdriver->lock bypassed with literally 5 seconds of effort.

pointless. Screwdriver->screwdriver->lock bypassed with literally 5 seconds of effort.

So maybe - and now bear with me here 'cause this is pretty crazy - fix that?

I've got a PR in the works where I'm patching up the access restrictions on R&D consoles so de/reconstructing the robotics one, for example, doesn't toast the roboticist, and swiping an ID with RD access lets you swap out the access protocols to one of the 4 default station configurations. So, in the works.

So maybe - and now bear with me here 'cause this is pretty crazy - fix that?

Theres no way to fix it. Screwdriving the console turns it off and resets it. The only way to "prevent it" is to have the lock also stop the deconstruction process, which could cause some nasty bugs with deconstructing other things.

Theres no way to fix it. Screwdriving the console turns it off and resets it. The only way to "prevent it" is to have the lock also stop the deconstruction process, which could cause some nasty bugs with deconstructing other things.

Possible: Have it locked by default? That might screw with stations that have no RD, but even then the AI can still do it for them, right?

Can't you just add a line of code to block the screwdriver from working (a straight "return" without a parent call) just in the attackby of the rdconsole, checking if it's locked or not? Since the deconstructed console is on a different path type, this won't lead to weirdness of not being able to reconstruct if it somehow gets deconstructed a bit

Don't forget the HoS. It never ceases to amaze me how many shitler HoS's will use RnD as their own personal armory and restock. HoS has more control over RnD than the RD. If this seems okay to you, I don't understand this game anymore.

Don't forget the HoS. It never ceases to amaze me how many shitler HoS's will use RnD as their own personal armory and restock. HoS has more control over RnD than the RD. If this seems okay to you, I don't understand this game anymore.

I always found this odd.

Sure the HoS is the hero the station deserves and all, access to the science corridor is expected, just maybe not the sub-departments too?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use