How to be a good Head, and not a ComDom

necaladun

My previous guide was rather tongue in cheek, so I thought I'd be a bit more straightforward. I won't go into specifics - if you don't know how to set up the sing, don't play CE. The following should serve as an example for all heads, and what admins will expect.

Firstly, Rule 3 has some specifics with heads of staff:

3. Play the Role you’ve chosen:

Choose the role based on what you want to spend the round doing, not in order to obtain access and equipment or to impress people with a prestigious title. If you take a role, other players will be expecting - and may rely on you to do it.

Playing as a head role has extra responsibility. If you are a head, it is assumed NT has assessed and approved your character. Higher standards of RP and game knowledge are expected. Logging out as a head without informing admin will result in a jobban - if you suddenly had to go due to external reasons, a quick appeal to explain is fine.

When logging out, if you have time you should return as much as you can to your secure locker, and head to cryo. Tell command and your department you're going. If you really have to go right away, just adminhelp "oh shit gtg!" is enough, but if you can, please take the time to do more.

Ideally, if you select a head role, only do so if you expect to be there the whole shift - have 2 hours set aside.

Skills:

It should go without saying that you should be highly experienced with the department you are playing. As a bare minimum:

CE: Construction/deconstruction, wiring, singularity set up, basic atmospherics - scrubbing/refilling rooms, and at least knowing when atmosia is broken beyond repair.

CMO: Surgery. Chemistry. Cloning. How to identify and cure diseases, how to cure genetic defects.

RD: Robotics, maxing tech levels, how NOT to explode toxins, how to contain/kill slimes.

HoS: SPACE LAW. You don't need to memorize it 100%, but at the least have it open in another window. You should be decently robust. Not solo-nuke-ops robust, but you shouldn't be taken down by the clown. How to call ERT/Red alert.

HoP: Cargo/ID computers are the only real mechanics needed, however, knowing the chain of command, space law, etc, is also required. You are the second in command - there is quite a high chance you'll be acting captain at some point.

Captain: Everything from the HoS and HoP. How to reset an AI/change laws. How to secure the nuke disk. You should also have he qualifications of at -least- one other head of staff, if not more.

Space Law and Heads

Nowhere in Space Law does it say heads are immune. Being a Head does NOT make you security. Especially HoPs! The Egun is for defense, NOT so you can run around hunting antags. The same goes for everyone else's telebatons. Hitting someone with one because they annoy you is assault.

You are however, the best equipped to defend your department. This doesn't mean you have to charge nuke ops, especially if it's not in your character. If anyone is going to cable-tie someone and drag them to the brig, it should be you. But this is an extreme circumstance - call security if at all able. Do NOT brig them yourself, take them to security for brigging.

Conduct as a Head

As the rule states -

Playing as a head role has extra responsibility. If you are a head, it is assumed NT has assessed and approved your character. Higher standards of RP and game knowledge are expected.

Try to be a bit more serious than your average botanist. I'm not saying be super serious, dark and edgy, but your character should be one that you can imagine a board of directors at NT approving to give control of a high-tech department on a space station. Being a bit eccentric is fine (Especially for RDs!), but you will be held to a higher standard by Admins and CC than any other crew member. The craziness of ss13 is what makes it great, but this needs juxtaposition among more serious people to be truly great.

Remember you represent not just your department, but command. Heads of Staff are rolemodels for the rest of the crew.

Having a good command of English really helps here. We have many players who don't speak english as their first language (and many speak it better than I), which is fine - but a head role involves a lot of communication. Teaching and instructing your department is an important part of being a head.

Defending the station from antag scum

This is the job of security. The Captain also falls into this somewhat - especially if security is understaffed - but as a head, you should focus on your department. Just because you can get a syringe gun, fire axe, or durand, does not mean you should go out hunting with them - unless all of sec have failed.

Chain of Command

Remember, it goes like this:

Captain

HoP, or HoS in red alert/security emergency.

Should none of them exist, the CMO, CE and RD decide between themselves who is acting Captain, IF one is needed. Generally it's either the start of the shift, in which case it doesn't matter, and it's best to wait for one to arrive, or near the end and they're all dead - call the shuttle!

Final Words

Part of the reason i've written this is because I've recently seen standards slipping a bit. If you think this is addressed at you in particular - it's not, but perhaps you should re-examine your behaviour. Ask yourself - do I really NEED to be the head of staff for my department? Is the station, and will the round, be better because I am a head of staff?

If no, then don't play it. If yes - check you're not ego tripping, then go for it! A great head of staff can make a department function much better, can help new players learn the department, and can be a great role model for their staff.

I'd love feedback on this, for people to submit their own hints and tips, and what they think makes a good and bad head of staff.

And remember, if all else fails - call the shuttle.

To Do:

Add hiring/firing guidelines.

List things you can be jobbanned for and examples of jobbans.

If I my throw my two cents in as well, knowing how to handle situations if and when they happen should be a prerequisite, such as:

RD: Knowing how to manage a slime/golem outbreak if they get feisty. Managing repairs if and when your department explodes.

CMO: Making sure that genetics doesn't distribute hulk if it's found, Chemists not solely making meth, virologist not releasing a shite virus.

HOS: Making sure that security isn't shitcurity, the warden is doing their job, and having general insight on who should have what.

HOP: Not giving yourself all-access, making sure mining is working and that cargo orders what people ask for and not hoarding weapons.

CE: Knowing the difference between atmospherics upgrades and sabotage, making sure engineers work on the station and not just their private bar.

Captain: Settling differences between heads of staff.

In the end note, you are a manager of your staff too.

Please don't fire people for calling you a dork. Please don't fire people for flipping at you. Please don't tell people that they aren't allowed to use a big chunk of the department, say, telling engi they aren't allowed to start the solars. Please don't telebaton people, steal their IDs, and throw them out and call that demotion.

Please don't do those things.

• Like 1

1. CE also makes sure Telecomms is functioning right

2. RD has the choice to play with Telecomms scripts

Just putting this here because I didn't see it in the list anywhere

RD has the choice to play with Telecomms scripts

RD's should attempt to avoid breaking telecoms. Good scripts are good, not having working headsets is bad.

Dont promote your friend from civilian to command just cause you can. Blueshield: Do not arrest people..you see clown being beaten to death by guy with esword? FINE shot him down and take his sword...AND call security. Do you see captain being beaten to death with Esword...Shot him down and cuff him.

Captain: use your damned headset all-access and relay information. If somebody screams in medical that he's being robusted to shit with a toolbox, tell the security immediately. Don't count on the AI to do this for you; most AIs are incompetent.

Do NOT grab your gear and go on a lone validhunting spree. If you really must - help out only when there's a call for help and it's in your vicinity. Be a responsible hero.

If you really want to validhunt criminal scum, grab a single pair of cuffs from the Brig. Also very useful for self-defense.

A flashbang is useful if you're being chased or are responding to a call for help.

Remember - in most cases self-defense should go like this (applies to all heads):

1. Notice you're being robusted.

a) move away a little to dodge hits,

b) scream for help either in Common, Command or Security (third is preferable). State your location. "HELP MY OFFICE" is all you need, eventually "HELP ESWORD BRIDGE". If the traitor is someone unexpected AND the AI is an incompetent piece of shit incapable of validhunting, state his identity: "HELP MY OFFICE RD ROGUE".

2. Take the flash out of your pocket.

3. Get into melee range.

4. AoE stun with the flash.

5. If it didn't work and he's still robusting you, flash again (good to do it twice in a rapid succession). If it did not help, use your telebaton and execute step 8.

6. Once he's disoriented, click on him with the flash to apply a long-lasting stun.

7. Use this time to pull out your telebaton (should be already extended on your belt).

8. Telebaton stun him.

9. Use the flash in the other hand to stunlock him, so he won't run away and won't be able to disarm you when he stands up.

Bonus step 10 against dangerous antags: be the validhunter the station needs and try to strip him while he's stunlocked.

Rinse and repeat, 8 to 9. Security will come. If they won't, you may want to either drag him to security using the said stunlock, switch to lethal (if it's a confirmed traitor/vampire/changeling) or try to cuff him. Page Up, Page Down and other hotkeys should be used, especially the swap hands one (mandatory for 8 and 9).

If you keep the stunlock well and not panic, your flash won't burn out and the person will remain blind, missing all their opportunities to stand up and run away/disarm you.

I used the flash stun and telebaton stun interchangeably, but obviously they're different things.

As a general guideline, anybody unauthorized (not HoS, not your Blueshield and nobody with legit access) in your office, teleporter room, HoP and bridge should be treated with the self-defense plan I outlined. Your knee-jerk response to an intruder should be to move away, use the time to assess the threat (shift+click examine) and decide whether to fight or flee. You probably can handle some greytide. A skilled antag who has the element of surprise? Not so much.

There isn't much you can do if you're unexpectedly attacked with a ranged weapon. If the aggressor is far away, you may want to close some doors in front of him. Otherwise you may die/get crit'd before you get into melee range/pull out your gun.

Adding to what Plotron said above, here are a few DONT'S of being a Captain:

1. Barging into a department and doing their work for them. Bonus negative points if you remain silent throughout the whole process;

2. Being Security during Green/Blue/Red. Unless your Security force happens to be extremely shitty, stay in your office;

Not using your headset's full capabilities. There's nothing worse than a Captain that's only tuned to Command;

Refusing to speak with people. Trust me when I say that the most ANNOYING AND IRRITATING thing is a Captain that never speaks a word in the Common channel. You are not so important that you can't speak to the plebs;

Firing people because they disagree with you;

Firing people because they insulted you;

Firing people because they dared to call you on your BS

Anyone else, feel free to add to the list.

Another little DO NOT as Captain;

Throwing parties on the Bridge, your office, any high security area and inviting random civilians and/or working staff.

Throwing a party in the Bar is perfectly reasonable, but for the love of god DONT let Greyshirt McBaldyblackeye in the bridge or your office because 'Oh I'm bored! Let's have a party and get drunk off our asses!'. Not only is that bad form, it's also liable to end in at least something stolen, or at worst, your death.

• 1 year later...

I'm necroposting. Deal with itTM. People need to see this thread.

All heads: Know how faxes and formatting work. Use it. Captain and HoP especially on this one.

HoP: You shouldn't give yourself all-access, but you should know how to give it to someone quickly. There are times when (I feel) it is appropriate (WarOps, especially). Be familiar with the job board in your ID console. Be nice to the people in the Paradise lobby! Good jobs cut down on the tide which is a bonus to everyone.

Captain: Communicate, and listen. Nothing is more important than that for a Captain. Don't treat the Blueshield as your personal butler. Treat any claims of shitcurity brought to you seriously, even if it is the clown. Don't be afraid to demote the HoS if they deserve it, but make sure you marshal your forces (other heads, other security, NT Rep, Magistrate, IA or, if nothing else, CC) first or you might find yourself alone and in the breeze. Know and use the other consoles on the bridge. Evaluate your other heads for basic competence early on in the shift by listening to comms traffic and, well, communicating. With them and their staff. You have a spare headset in your locker. Give it to the Blueshield, HoS or HoP. Empower IA if they are competent. Never teleport anywhere. Why? Because of DAT FUKKEN DISK is why. You ARE carrying the disk, right? That's not the Blueshield's job. It's yours.

What is Jas not allowed to do as blueshield:

1. Do not steal detectives coat.

1.a. Not even when detective says you can.

2. Do to stun and cuff heads "FOR THEIR OWN PROTECTION:

3. Captains official titlie is not "your highest comdomness" and i in no circumstances should call captain that

3.a. Not even when captain is comdom.

3.b Especially if captain is comdom

4. I shouldn't tell RD he is replacable and refuse them Death Alarm even if they are.

4.a. Applies for CMO.

4.b Applies for all command members.

5. I should not stun and cuff security even if they are stupid.

6. I should not ask captain/HoP to change my job title to bodyhauler

6.a. Even if i am one.

6.b. Same applies for: Meatshield, Blueshit, Nanny and Babysitter

7. I am forbiden to announce which heads do not have sensors on and which heads refused implant.

8. I am strictly forbiden to scare new heads with: Anything and everything that could kill them, steal their identity or any other harmful action just to make them set their suit sensors up and accept alarm.

8.a. Applies for actualy doing said actions to heads.

8.b. Applies for telling heads there are no gluten free meals.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 29/05/2015 at 9:24 AM, Saaesculus said:

Please don't fire people for calling you a dork. Please don't fire people for flipping at you. Please don't tell people that they aren't allowed to use a big chunk of the department, say, telling engi they aren't allowed to start the solars. Please don't telebaton people, steal their IDs, and throw them out and call that demotion.

Please don't do those things.

Definitely agree with this. Far too many heads of staff get overly angsty and neurotic and end up firing people for off-hand slights against them. In my experience this is usually a method of covering up their ineptitude. Also heads who chain-telebaton someone to the HOP line (or steal IDs etc.) are way out of line but have fun ever trying to get them done for assault!

I'm not going to get super in to this, but I have one thing I want to share with you all:

Communicate. Do it frequently, make what you want to say clear, and don't assume the people you're talking to heard it the first time. Communicate so much that people beg for you to shut up.

• Like 1

From my ban history I believe that the best way to (At least) stay unbanned from command is to always keep a level head. If you start getting salty and start acting like an ass to other players and the gods admins, you will probably do something highly stupid (Going SSD, self-antagging, breaking other rules) and wind up getting striked with the ban hammer.

• 3 months later...

Probably should mention in the guide that you should practice as lower positions of the head you are hoping to become before actually playing it.

I spent around 75 hours in game time as a regular security guard learning first hand SoP, Legal SoP, and Space law and all that by hands on experience as well as reading all three articles on the wiki and going over them numerous times depending on the circumstance.

Then after spending that much time in security I went warden for another 50 in game hours now I play as HoS most of the time.

HoS is probably one of the most hardest jobs on the station the highest is AI but I'm the guy who plays as some figure of police or authority on every game where the position is available. I've lead police organizations on other games with the biggest being 400 members so I'm used to this kind of stress and micromanagement required.

Due to my mistakes and bad decisions as a basic security guard there are four people with negative biases towards me which is sad especially considering that two of them are friends and all of them try to find some way to set me up while playing high authority positions or get me demoted every round that they are online only being successful once.

So you should probably state in your guide to not go into positions of higher authority to act on negative biases on another player.

Edited by Buford