Tips on getting karma

vtipoman

Hey! This will be a really short guide on how to get karma. Im NOT talking about ways to cheat around the system, Im talking about some RP tips.

1. Be original

Lets say its the end of a recent round. Karma notice shows up on your screen. You can give karma to a) Squishy, a slime that tried to kill himself the whole round, only to be the last to survive b) James Newman, a chef. Who do you choose? The original one. Be original.

2. Find a partner

If you find somebody to RP with the whole round, prefferably on the same RP level as you, you will propably end up giving karma to each other. And this doesnt have to be romantic relationship either.

3. Do something cool

Pretty self-explanatory. Start a band! Tell bad puns! Robust that antag! The posibilites are endless!

4. Play Ian

If everything else fails, try playing Ian. Use "me" command to roll, droll, bite. Try to steal hats from others (by dragging their sprite on yours). Maybe you'll get karma from the HoP.

5. Dont cheat

Just dont. You will get banned. This includes asking for karma or trading karma with your friend.

This is actually pretty true all of this, it works, but i just want to clarify something here.

2. Find a partner

If you find somebody to RP with the whole round, prefferably on the same RP level as you, you will propably end up giving karma to each other. And this doesnt have to be romantic relationship either.

There is a difference between a IC partner and a meta-buddy, and it's easy to tell the difference. All admins have access to the karma logs, if two players give karma to each other and ONLY to each other, then it's pretty clear.

If you want to give karma to your IC friend often, then it's good, but try to not give them karma EVERY round, that's not very fair.

It's nice to see a guide helping people to get karma. I love the karma system, it's really good and a fantastic way to show appreciation to players. This outlines a few ways that can help you to see how to act in order to get karma. I like it well done :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love the system, personally, however I just wish more people gave out karma in a round.. I really love playing roles like the Blueshield, and I love that it's restricted by the Karma system so it's not some random jackoff with a shotgun, but a person that actually knows what the job entails, but I've found it nigh impossible to actually earn karma, even when RPing with people in the round, saving lives, being the sole person on sec to actually do sec related things, etc. Though, I suppose i may just miserably suck at RPing in the game, and just not know it...

Edited by Guest

I typically tend to give karma to /someone/ that stood out during a round, even while observing. Someone that does something neat/ nice/ general.

Best way to get karma, that I've learned?

Saving lives. Even if it means sacrificing your own. Might not be for everyone, but it will, mostly likely, gain you at least one karma.

Don't fret about karma. Don't check it constantly because being so set on getting Karma is going to remove the focus on having a good time in game if you're stressing about getting (or not getting) karma that round. It's like checking the time when you're really excited about something, it feels like it goes slower because you're constantly looking at the clock and are distracted by the 'reward' that you might get.

Do something you're good at. If you haven't perfected any particular job then maybe take the time to learn a job and do it well. It does NOT have to be medbay or something super fancy but it really does help if you make an effort to cooperate with other departments. I tend to reward people with karma for being pleasant to be around and work with. People who work in the same department but just mess around/leave me to pick up the slack basically force me to do their job and mine are certainly not the sort that get karma. People who are proactive and helpful are generally the ones i personally give karma to.

Also, consider the type of character you play and the impact that has on those around you. If you're playing a super racist/hostile/aggressive/jerk then you probably wont get as much karma as someone who is more friendly and reasonable to deal with.

Apparently I'm pretty good at getting karma(32 karma in one in a half months). Here's how you get karma: be SOMEBODY. You get karma four main ways: being creative, being robust, being a hilarious RPer, and knowing fun game mechanics.

If you want karma, make beautiful art, take down the nuke ops singlehandedly, start a nudist cult, and make fliptonium pills.

Don't play engineering, atmos, janitor or any other jobs so crucial for the station's upkeep that it is taken for granted. Sure, you can be a great atmos tech, but since it dosen't directly affect them, they don't get karma directly (unlike someone in medical, who gets karma up the arse just for doing their job as it involves interacting with people), and most of the time they aren't noticed. A good engineer or atmos tech doesn't get noticed. A great engineer builds an autism fort that makes all the other Engineers applaud him. They only time when Engineers and Atmos techs are really noticed (and would get karma) is if something is going badly wrong, either through their incompetence or bad things happening. You can bet on everyone blaming the Engineers and not on, y'know the traitor screaming over comms about their evil plan.

In short, don't play for karma, play for fun, and you'll earn more karma (or won't if you play engineering).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If i recall how i got my first few karma points, a good, easy way to get karma fast is to choreograph a performance as mime when people are in the bar.

The best conclusion i can get from that is be in front of people as much as possible with the other guidelines in mind.

• 11 months later...

In my experience, working as a Paramedic is generally a good way of getting Karma just because you locate and rescue people that would be otherwise forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2015 at 7:58 PM, Afelirick said:

Medical.

Get good at medical. Save peoples lives. Have good bedside manner.

Last time I gave karma it was to an assistant who, unlike all the doctors in medbay, realised I was hooked up to an anesthetic tank.....as a Vox and that I needed a blood transfusion.

I was defibbed 16 times that round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use