Opt out Mutadone

Jovaniph

"Ohh your mute? why not take mutadone? It cures your genetic disease, guaranteed! It's almost a miracle!"

This is more or less a personal suggestion. I don't think mutadone should be the cure all solution to someone's genetic problem. Space Kuru for example is incurable or being cluwned, etc. I had to write my IC's medical record to make a work around on why mutadone is bad for them. Other than that, i'm finding it very annoying that, that is the end all solution. Mutadone needs to have its limits.

I'm proposing that an option is made in the Character Creation for those who wish to opt out having their diseased cured by mutadone. So if I myself decide to play my mute IC and someone feeds me mutadone, it won't work. In addition, It allows creatures like Vulpkanin to keep their color blind ability to see through the dark, etc. I think this would add a layer to RP, so someone like myself doesn't have to come up with an excuse on why my IC is mute.

Edited by Jovaniph
edit edits edits. It'll never stop.
  • Like 1
  • Salt 3

What else should an opt out be added into next? First cloning, now mutadone? Next it'll be an opt out for all healing meds because "my character wouldn't go see a doctor."

If you want to play a mute character the fine, but why do we need a snowflakey opt-out functionality that will be used by less players than I have fingers. You could just not use the chat?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Because some people force mutadone down your throat while you don't want it and then you have to spend half the round explaining it IC' ly because it's an IC issue and all that. I don't mind if it is not added but hey, I like the idea, is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cloning is easily avoidable, just ghost away from your body is simple enough. As for opting all healing meds, that's pretty exaggerated. Mutadone on the other hand is more specific to a single medication.

Let's look at two scenarios

1. We can continue to make the argument that if someone has a disability, they can be cured by mutadone plain and simple. This just makes disabilities useless even at round start. 

2. We can remove disabilities from the creator, but people might lose their minds and reject that idea because "immersion and roleplay".

Do you see the dilemma?

There's still the option of a clean SE. This would also give off the impression that curing a disability would be more difficult. Clean SE is also not as readily available as mutadone. 

1 hour ago, Jovaniph said:

Cloning is easily avoidable, just ghost away from your body is simple enough. As for opting all healing meds, that's pretty exaggerated. Mutadone on the other hand is more specific to a single medication.

Let's look at two scenarios

1. We can continue to make the argument that if someone has a disability, they can be cured by mutadone plain and simple. This just makes disabilities useless even at round start. 

2. We can remove disabilities from the creator, but people might lose their minds and reject that idea because "immersion and roleplay".

Do you see the dilemma?

1. When you describe disabilities as "useless", I'm not sure what you mean. Disabilities are useless from a purely mechanical standpoint and there is no reason to take them other than for roleplay reasons which is fine - there's no problem with that. Or unless you're offsetting genetic buffs when working in genetics.

Mutadone exists because disabilities are a negative trait which requires a solution if you get them unintentionally. If you want to have that negative trait then just simply refuse treatment. If you're treated anyway then that's just life. The round ends in ~2 hours and you can return to playing your disability.

2. Suggesting that is a classic example of bloody mindedness. Why burn down the whole house just because you don't like the furniture?

I really don't see any dilemma here.

Edited by Birdtalon

3 minutes ago, Jovaniph said:

Well whether you see it or not. Why do you not want people to have the option?

I don't want people to have the option because I just see it as ridiculous to have an opt-out for a game-play feature which is designed for a certain purpose. Why can't I have an opt out for being stunned because my character is super strong and unstunnable?

i could get behind mutadone not fixing char setup disabilities, not more than that. Otherwise you get incurable hulks no?

even so it requires a pretty significant refactor of disabilities and char setup code

• Like 1

If people keep suggesting that you take mutadone, maybe that's a hint that your muteness is annoying them.

Sure, you could get annoyed with them in return for even suggesting it. You could vent your annoyance by suggesting that roundstart conditions like that be made incurable, so people stop trying to help you.

Maybe, though, that's taking the wrong lesson from this.

Maybe a better lesson to take would be asking yourself: "is this person getting frustrated with my playstyle?"

If you regularly encounter people who seem like they'd really prefer not to deal with your playstyle... maybe you should reconsider your playstyle.

On the other hand, if its just one or two people, well, you can't please everyone. Maybe just ignore those people.

• Thanks 1

That is one option.

Another would be to simply ask them why they suggest it.

If they say "well, you're injured, right?" then they're just treating it like any other medical condition. In which case, you might answer "this isn't something new this shift, I've been this way for years, I've adapted... I haven't really learned spoken language like you have and I couldn't simply start speaking even with mutadone".

If they say "well, its a pain that you can't talk - everything is more difficult because of that", then consider working out a better non-verbal communication system.

If they say "well, I wanted to do X, but your being mute prevents it", then work out an alternate way of doing X.

Etc.

If you very occasionally get people trying to cure your character, its probably just them treating it like any other condition (which, in-game, it is).

If you get it regularly, though, it might be worth asking them why they do it. Understanding the why might be better than trying to resist it mechanically.

But mechanically I wouldn't have to do that.I don't see it being a problem if this type of feature was added to the game. It's just for roundstart disabilities and nothing else. Unless there is a legit reason, which I don't see any, then that is something that should be discussed.

The simpler solution here to me would be just not to use the say command. Adding a stack of code that will need to be considered every time there's a change to genetics or mutadone or the like just seems a waste of time or effort when the same could be achieved by simple not using say.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, necaladun said:

The simpler solution here to me would be just not to use the say command. Adding a stack of code that will need to be considered every time there's a change to genetics or mutadone or the like just seems a waste of time or effort when the same could be achieved by simple not using say.

Echoing this.

You don't even need the mechanical disability to be mute. Rather than coming up with contrived reasons for why mutadone doesn't work, you could just use refrain from ever using the say command based on the premise that your character has anarthia or aphonia (or even aphasia) - a real neurological or physical impediment preventing speech. Disabilities don't enable roleplay in any way, shape, or form - they're negative mechanisms to provide challenge  to a player or a "mechanical prohibition" on a certain thing. Having them as options is just some mechanical flavour as part of a system that isn't really necessary to shape roleplay to begin with.

IE: If I want to roleplay a blind character, or a deaf character, or a mute character, a character with epilepsy, or a character with tourettes, I do not need to take any of the genetic disabilities. All of these things can be easily accounted for via use of the say and me commands. The genetic disabilities only exist as counterweights to the genetic system.

Raymond Carver didn't need to institute a series of opt-in, opt-out mechanics with a fully realized disability system in order to write one of the most compelling and convincing blind men in a short story. He only needed a medium with which to write, and an audience to read and convey his ideas to.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jovaniph said:

But mechanically I wouldn't have to do that.I don't see it being a problem if this type of feature was added to the game. It's just for roundstart disabilities and nothing else. Unless there is a legit reason, which I don't see any, then that is something that should be discussed.

It is being discussed right here.

I'm not going to take the excuse that it's going to "add stack to the code" when there is so many parts of the code that already goes unused. If I were to make a PR about them, people would complain for improving it instead of delete it. All it does is gather dust.

This isn't just for mute IC. This is for other things as well including blindness and even colorbindness! If I recall, being a colorblind vulpkanin allows you to see through the dark better and if they were to take mutadone, they lose that ability. To say that mute doesn't need to be mechanically disable is wrong. You can't scream, cough, sneeze loudly which the game forces you to do if infected or being bashed by a toolbox.

In regards to dust gathering, this could be deleted (I didn't make those comments): https://thumb.gyazo.com/thumb/1200/_261c4a9a8ec07d6999be7e8f8b4ffc22-png.jpg

Edited by Jovaniph

38 minutes ago, Jovaniph said:

I'm not going to take the excuse that it's going to "add stack to the code" when there is so many parts of the code that already goes unused

Yes, there's plenty of stuff that could be and should be cleared out of the code. That doesn't mean we have to make things worse.

Being mute doesn't actually stop people making noise when they sneeze, IRL. If you want to accurately portray someone unable to speak, then there's nothing stopping you from roleplaying it yourself.

Demanding that the code be changed so that you can be lazy and have mechanics enforce how you want to roleplay is frankly selfish. It is not worth the coders having to account for that code with any change to muting, disabilities, spawning, mutadone, etc, just so you have mechanics to play it that way. This would all be easily resolved by just not using the say command, rather than making it other people's problem.

An interesting thing I noted in the say code recently, was that it looks like it already checks if you have the vocal_cords organ before it will let you speak, which works separately to the Mute genetic trait. Mutadone wouldn't cure not having working vocal cords, though surgery could. 

Perhaps a solution would be to add the vocal_cords organ as an option you can set to be missing or replaced with a synthetic alternative at character setup,using the "Internal Organs" option that currently lets you set synthetic hearts and eyes. That way, the only code that needs to be added, is the option for character setup. Genetics/Mutadone works unchanged, and the already existing checks for vocal cords cover your disability.

Edited by DrunkDwarf
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DrunkDwarf said:

An interesting thing I noted in the say code recently, was that it looks like it already checks if you have the vocal_cords organ before it will let you speak, which works separately to the Mute genetic trait. Mutadone wouldn't cure not having working vocal cords, though surgery could. 

Perhaps a solution would be to add the vocal_cords organ as an option you can set to be missing or replaced with a synthetic alternative at character setup,using the "Internal Organs" option that currently lets you set synthetic hearts and eyes. That way, the only code that needs to be added, is the option for character setup. Genetics/Mutadone works unchanged, and the already existing checks for vocal cords cover your disability.

This would be brilliant.

41 minutes ago, Keluandrie said:

The tongue organ. I'd love to be able to surgically remove tongues like you can on other codebases.

Good bit of sadism for your more torture inclined traitors. Obnoxious prisoners too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use