Gun System

ZN23X

Forgive me if this has been addressed in the past.

Under "Guide to Combat" on the wiki the "Gun system" mentions that guns have both a manual and automatic fire mode. I've tried activating auto fire mode the way the wiki describes and as far as I can tell it's not a mechanic of the game. It would be useful for either taking hostages or officers being able to say "freeze!" and not just taze and cuff before asking questions.

Was this mechanic never added or was it removed because it caused some imbalance and/or it didn't function properly?

From the wiki:

Gun System

There are two ways to use guns, the auto fire or manual system. You can switch between these with the F6 key, or the gun icon on your HUD.

Manual Fire - This is the default mode for firing guns. Simply click on the tile you want to fire and you'll fire in the direction. Click on someone adjacent to you will cause you to hit them with your gun, unless you're on  harm intent, in which case you'll fire a point blank shot at them for extra damage, as long as you have ammo.Taser guns have a special extra long stun when adjacent, regardless of intent. To fire at someone on the ground, click specifically on them, or the shot will go over them.

Auto Fire - This gun system is useful for taking people hostage. When you turn this on and aim at someone a reticule will appear on them and they'll get a message stating to stop doing anything. After 2 seconds, if they interact with anything, you will automatically fire at them. You can allow them to walk, run, or use items using icons that will appear on your HUD. Clicking in their direction or on them again will fire at them. You can click another person to switch your focus to them. Click your gun again to stop aiming at your target.

Edited by ZN23X

30 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Once you got auto-fire onto someone you'd never miss, even with ballistic weapons.

I experienced Auto-fire, and it wasn't exactly as "Aim-bot" as people think.

It fired at your current location, which is understandably a step up from firing at people yourself, but it was by no means overpowered. Especially when you consider the slow speeds of Paradise, it was relatively easy to dodge projectiles fired by people using Aim-Mode on you, and I typically found myself only using it for RP, to arrest people properly.

It ought to make a comeback, with the use of it being to indicate your weapon is pointed at someone, but doesn't actually automatically fire at the spot.

ConfusedPerson.PNG

17 hours ago, froz-t said:

I experienced Auto-fire, and it wasn't exactly as "Aim-bot" as people think.

It fired at your current location, which is understandably a step up from firing at people yourself, but it was by no means overpowered. Especially when you consider the slow speeds of Paradise, it was relatively easy to dodge projectiles fired by people using Aim-Mode on you, and I typically found myself only using it for RP, to arrest people properly.

It ought to make a comeback, with the use of it being to indicate your weapon is pointed at someone, but doesn't actually automatically fire at the spot.

ConfusedPerson.PNG

Clearly we have different memories, because I've played with auto-fire on this server for about a year prior to its removal.

Disablers angled in a way that made them almost impossible to dodge.

It might be a difference in experience with dodging, because I never had any direct issues if people used it. Typically, I was promoted to stay still because they bothered RP'ing an arrest.

IanXMichael.PNG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, froz-t said:

It might be a difference in experience with dodging, because I never had any direct issues if people used it. Typically, I was promoted to stay still because they bothered RP'ing an arrest.

IanXMichael.PNG

That's why I'd love something like this...I wish when I didn't tase n cuff n tried talking it wouldn't be like "You are under arrest for----" and my target either runs off or stuns and kills me while I'm talking.

BUT...I could see how people could abuse the hell out of it...and I'm sure that's why it doesn't exist anymore. This is why we cant have nice things lol

Edited by ZN23X

I've actually tested the old autoaim system and it's not nearly as powerful as people make it out to be. Unless the shots are at point-blank, the target moving sideways will make every single bullet shot miss.

The old system was also horribly bugged, using up more ammo than there actually was in the chamber, which I only discovered when testing the old, old build that still had it in; nobody actually reported it as an issue.

I think the main reason behind it being removed was the fact that it completely didn't fit the arcadey nature of the game and it was just weird. I wouldn't mind not seeing it back.

That said, I did code an alternative system for a different codebase, which made pointing at someone with a gun in your active hand just make a sound and draw the reticle on top of them. That still lets people know you're armed and ready to shoot, while not adding any weird auto-fire to the game.

Opinions on me adding that here?

The reason it was removed was partially because of HUD issues, on top of how shitty it was to have. I've seen what it can do, it really just gives a vibe of laziness during combat, so to speak. I do enjoy roleplay, but I feel combat should be entirely player based, so to speak.

I'd be perfectly fine with having the point system and reticle, but nothing more.

Edited by Spacemanspark

I was just curious. From the responses it sounds like the system was at very least a bit buggy and imbalanced. It's probably more work than its worth to fix it. Probably more useful to have the people who actually know how to code the game work on more important things.

4 hours ago, FlattestGuitar said:

That said, I did code an alternative system for a different codebase, which made pointing at someone with a gun in your active hand just make a sound and draw the reticle on top of them. That still lets people know you're armed and ready to shoot, while not adding any weird auto-fire to the game.

Opinions on me adding that here?

Having seen this system in action, it is pretty neat. Would enjoy seeing it added.

Flatty was (is?) going to put a warning system on Stratus by pointing at someone (middle click) while gun is in active hand. It would make a BIG THREATENING chat message.

Edited by Anticept

12 hours ago, Anticept said:

Flatty was (is?) going to put a warning system on Stratus by pointing at someone (middle click) while gun is in active hand. It would make a BIG THREATENING chat message.

I'd be super psyched to simply see this added. Instead of needing to type out /me points her gun at-- *target runs off*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use