Remove/Limit Botany "Growth" mechanic.

Shadeykins

IE: The act of consuming whatever it is from botany, and having the sprite grow to astronomical proportions.

I sincerely fail to see how this mechanic adds anything to Paradise, especially when we've been actively fighting to retain "medium" RP.

It's silly, and fun, but 80 foot high skyscrapers running down the hallway really don't contribute anything outside of that initial kneejerk laugh.

Certain mechanics can have an astronomical impact on how seriously a player is willing to take the server, and to what extent people are reasonably going to roleplay in any sense of the word. This is one of those mechanics.

Catdrugs on Goon is a great example of this sort of thing. Mechanics can, and do have an impact on the general level of roleplay you can expect in a server.

It's not about realism.

It's about "This is a bit too silly for a medium roleplay server."

Then we better remove HONKS and Recitence mechs, plus the ability to Superfart, also toilet water/greenvomit, also fat people exploding with the thin mints.

There's a lot of stupid silly things in SS13.

If we're gonna start axeing silly things, a 'Growth serum' is one of the lesser of the silly objects we have.

It's not about realism.

It's about "This is a bit too silly for a medium roleplay server."

Then we better remove HONKS and Recitence mechs, plus the ability to Superfart, also toilet water/greenvomit, also fat people exploding with the thin mints.

There's a lot of stupid silly things in SS13.

If we're gonna start axeing silly things, a 'Growth serum' is one of the lesser of the silly objects we have.

The difference is that things like mint and the HONK mech has been in the game for literally years, while this growth serum was added very recently.

If we want to steer away from being a lowRP server like TG then perhaps we should start to curb these over the top silly things, not continue to add them because TG does it

If it can't be quickly fixed and curbed, i'd rather see this removed than stay.

Some sillyness has it's place in the med rp enviroment we strive for, but the way growth serum is implemented right now, is just jarring.

The upscaled sprites are fuzzy, clip through shit, and are just in general bad. This goes for both produce with growth serum and mobs who ingested it.

Unless this can be fixed & curbed to decent levels of growing asap, i'd rather see this removed than kept.

DwJGOks.png

TL:DR; I don't want to see this shit, it's bad. Either get rid of it or fix it.

Agreed with everyone else here - it's terrible. As far as a game mechanic, it's poorly implemented, has no dynamics in terms of meshing with other mechanics of the server, and contributes nothing to the server - aside from lowering our already abhorrently low RP threshold.

This is as bad as the stupid hamsterwheel maint drones we used to have. Items like the HONK mech are acceptable since they're well-coded, fully implemented, and they exist due to meshing with other elements of the game - such as robotics, or the fact that the honkerblast horn can knock down xenomorphs - botany size growth does not mesh with any elements, it is frankly ugly and it is anathema to any sort of RP - thus, we stand everything to gain and nothing to lose from removing it.

Growth serum should be removed completely.

It looks awful. Just look at those sprites. SS13 character sprites are NOT meant to be that size, and it shows. They look terrible.

DwJGOks.png

It doesn't function well, either.

While working on Terror Spiders, I tried creating giant versions of the spiders for bosses.

It did not work well. They kept ended up biting themselves, getting suck on doors, etc. It was a mess.

Character sprites in SS13 shouldn't be wildly bigger than the norm - it leads to issues.

I have to say, I prefer old botany.

- No giants running around.

- No weird tomatoes that fill everyone with teslium, lead to people dying from electric shocks on the shuttle, and don't even show up properly in the logs.

- No botany rooms that look like the local college's biodiversity department 10 years after chernobyl hit.

Totally remove growth serum....

If anything, honestly, I prefer old botany and would rather it just be reverted.

And while we're removing stupid shit, move the Captain's crown from his roundstart locker to being only available through the hat crate from Cargo.

I haven't played much with the botany system myself but it seems like all the worst parts of RnD and Chemistry slapped into jar and given to a civilian job with some borderline sekrit khem elitism going on. Plants either need some kind of limiting factor on them like how genetics DNA works or the system needs to be scrapped.

Growth serum should be removed completely.

It looks awful. Just look at those sprites. SS13 character sprites are NOT meant to be that size, and it shows. They look terrible.

Edit: That's Pablo Memewood, and I was totally there when that was taken!

No fun allowed: the thread

Growth serum is hilarious, the fact that people grow plants with it and a lot of the crew eats them shows people love it. Realism is not an argument given we have cluwnes and superfart and a lot of other dumb crap

If people were spamming cluwnes and superfart, I'd want them gone too. And as others have said, growth serum looks bad and is poorly implemented. It's inherently spammy and jarring. I'm all for silliness if well-done, but this is just plain broken.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use