Prevent people from killing themselves on light bulbsV2

Hero_Swe

This is an annoying feature that does not make the gameplay more interesting in any way other than making you regret misclicking a lightbulb.

It makes no sense in terms of realism, were we ever to use realism as a benchmark for anything.

I support its removal, it doesn't add anything to the game.

Well. Copy-pasta time.

Make lightbulbs not burn your hand. I can't think of any other way to accidentally hurt yourself. Even cutting with glass shards, you would have to purposely click your sprite.

Alternatively, put in those grates that are generally suppose to be around lights in the first place.

8692859.jpg

At least for security; it's annoying as hell when unruly prisoners just keep touching their light bulbs in order to get attention/kill themselves. And when you attempt to move them into solitary confinement, HEY ANOTHER LIGHT BULB!

Granted, you could argue that if prisoners wanted to kill themselves anyways, there's a suicide verb. So hey, there's that.

I'm not opposed to it's removal, but it's really not a big enough deal to do up a second thread about it. It was already mentioned in the Petty Changes 2 thread, that should be enough for such a minor thing like this. The first thread got out of hand because people got a bit too hostile, and it feels this second one is made out of spite.

It's annoying, but not gamebreaking, it shouldn't be as big a deal as it's made out to be through these threads.

If I'm a fucking 26 year old grown adult male I know not to fucking keep my hands on a glass bulb

Plus a normal lightbulb won't fucking kill you just by touching it alone

You shouldn't have to spend 5 fucking minutes in front of the medbay calling for a doctor because your burn wound inflicted by accidentally waving your hand over a light will get infected and fucking kill you either

People sometimes make entire threads out of these little things because, like Ping said in Petty Changes 2, a lot of stuff in Petty Changes 1 didn't happen. Skimming through the first petty changes thread, I can confirm. Single big threads catch more eyes, I suppose.

Long story short, nobody actually likes lightbulb burn, and plenty of people dislike it. Let's lore up that lightbulbs have grates, because they normally do (except when they're too high to reach, but then you still can't touch them).

It isn't a big deal, but that also means it's really easy to remove. It was already removed once, and then put back for seemingly no reason. Can anyone provide a reason as to why it must stay in? Otherwise, this is small enough that it really should be "majority rules" / "popular demand."

It's not fucking hilarious to die on an infection inflicted by a misclick caused because of a lagspike.

"Nah lets just keep this shitty feature because its funny, fuck whatever it takes away from gameplay, lets keep it because it's funny"

Can anyone provide a reason as to why it must stay in? "

It really doesn't, but nobody seems to give enough of a shit to make a PR for it, shit i'll even find the code

41d970697f.png

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... ng.dm#L460

Here, remove line 460 to 463

to_chat(user, "You try to remove the light [fitting], but you burn your hand on it!")

var/obj/item/organ/external/affecting = H.get_organ("[user.hand ? "l" : "r" ]_hand")

if(affecting.take_damage( 0, 5 )) // 5 burn damage

H.UpdateDamageIcon()

H.updatehealth()

return // if burned, don't remove the light

From that

To this:

to_chat(user, "You try to remove the light [fitting], but you burn your hand on it!")

return // ouchie my hand was burned and I was unable to remove the bulb, at least I didnt take damage :feelsgoodman:

Formatting is fucked but don't mind that

It's not fucking hilarious to die on an infection inflicted by a misclick caused because of a lagspike.

"Nah lets just keep this shitty feature because its funny, fuck whatever it takes away from gameplay, lets keep it because it's funny"

You sure you don't want to take a step back and think of how worked up you're getting over this?

I like it. It punishes people for trying to remove bulbs without gloves, and it's hilarious when someone husks themselves with burn damage from a light.

Alright, that's actually a fine point, but everyone's issue with it is that it few people ever try to remove bulbs without gloves. It's nearly always an accident, and that's why it's so annoying. Though now I'm getting a nasty idea for minor accidents. Like, a paper cut that does as much brute damage as a light does burn. It has a whatever percent chance to trigger when picking up paper.

What have I become?

Well. Copy-pasta time.

Make lightbulbs not burn your hand. I can't think of any other way to accidentally hurt yourself. Even cutting with glass shards, you would have to purposely click your sprite.

Alternatively, put in those grates that are generally suppose to be around lights in the first place.

8692859.jpg

At least for security; it's annoying as hell when unruly prisoners just keep touching their light bulbs in order to get attention/kill themselves. And when you attempt to move them into solitary confinement, HEY ANOTHER LIGHT BULB!

Granted, you could argue that if prisoners wanted to kill themselves anyways, there's a suicide verb. So hey, there's that.

I really like this idea for the Brig cell lightbulbs, because, let's be real here, Brig Cells are where 90% of this happens and it's usually a way for people to commit suicide, without using the suicide verb or ghosting to circumvent the downsides those commands usually have entailed.

Well. Copy-pasta time.

8692859.jpg

I really like this idea for the Brig cell lightbulbs, because, let's be real here, Brig Cells are where 90% of this happens and it's usually a way for people to commit suicide, without using the suicide verb or ghosting to circumvent the downsides those commands usually have entailed.

...OH YEAH.

It's literally respawnable suicide.

On the other hand, so is Russian Roulette and shit. I still have no idea where I stand on this.

One gives you a "get out of jail card while flipping off security and maybe be revived unless Spark is an officer".

The other is something you would do outside of the brig, or at least isn't simple to access.

While I feel like the light bulbs should either be changed (i.e. you can't intentionally touch them to harm yourself) or outright removed (replaced with light tiles maybe?) it's mostly out of a sense that I feel that anyone who suicides while in the brig should face the consequences of suicide (i.e. can't be revived.)

Having the light bulbs in the cells just provides a risk-free alternative to the suicide verb which is only ever used as a means to punish security for having the nerve to uphold Space Law. Those who are defending keeping the bulbs as-is I want you to seriously consider what the only reason is for a prisoner to injure or kill themselves is. There is literally no other reason to injure or kill yourself (without the suicide verb) than to force a member of security to spend time and resources on you, essentially punishing them for doing their jobs.

Even if the light bulbs were to be removed prisoners could still punch themselves half to death which still wastes security and medbay resources, though it's not nearly as bad as having to drag the body down to medbay for revival/cloning.

If there was a way to make it so that suiciding by touching the light bulbs in the brig cells counted as using the suicide verb and prevented people from being revived I would be 100% for that rather than changing light bulb handling as a whole.

While I feel like the light bulbs should either be changed (i.e. you can't intentionally touch them to harm yourself) or outright removed (replaced with light tiles maybe?) it's mostly out of a sense that I feel that anyone who suicides while in the brig should face the consequences of suicide (i.e. can't be revived.)

Having the light bulbs in the cells just provides a risk-free alternative to the suicide verb which is only ever used as a means to punish security for having the nerve to uphold Space Law. Those who are defending keeping the bulbs as-is I want you to seriously consider what the only reason is for a prisoner to injure or kill themselves is. There is literally no other reason to injure or kill yourself (without the suicide verb) than to force a member of security to spend time and resources on you, essentially punishing them for doing their jobs.

Even if the light bulbs were to be removed prisoners could still punch themselves half to death which still wastes security and medbay resources, though it's not nearly as bad as having to drag the body down to medbay for revival/cloning.

If there was a way to make it so that suiciding by touching the light bulbs in the brig cells counted as using the suicide verb and prevented people from being revived I would be 100% for that rather than changing light bulb handling as a whole.

Maybe we should just make reinforced light frame? Which must be manualy opened first with screwdriver before you can damage or remove bulb in any way. Transparent cover just protect bulb from it.

glass+globe+wire+guard+combo.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use