Cryonic Race: the Drask

HugoLuman

Well, they're merged now! I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with these very much, especially everyone on the coding chat. Thank you so much!

bvqigOw.png

xBfrwyQ.png

Hailing from a planet outside what most consider to be the habitable zone, the Drask are a biological oddity, adapted to the dim light and extreme cold.

WIP Lore: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GR6 ... GLhQZS1qcU

Features:

-Colorable eyes

-Customizable skin tone (like humans)

-Body temperature of 0°C, feeling uncomfortable at room temperature

-Weak to burn

-Racial night vision (as with other species, only works while wearing mesons or similar)

-Regenerates when breathing supercooled (260 Kelvin or lower) air. The colder, the faster

We've got a PR up for them at: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/4187

Though there is still some discussion needed

Things to discuss/jazz up:

-Lore

-Feature/stat balance

-More customization options

Edited by Guest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would they decide to work at a space station which operates at room temperature then

We have voxes who must always carry "voxygen" canisters along and we have plasmamen who need to be always in their special rigs because of oxygen in station atmos.

We have voxes who must always carry "voxygen" canisters along and we have plasmamen who need to be always in their special rigs because of oxygen in station atmos.

Of course, so this'll be basically plasma-man but instead of plasma, they breathe super cooled air and have to have temp regulated EVA suits.

Having different gasses to breathe is relatively easy to do from a lore view, "Okay we come to work and breathe this so we an work etc."

Having a different base temperature could be possible to well, add a forced point of view for why they work, similar to Vortigaunts from HL, perhaps NT forced this onto them as they were easy slave labour perhaps, I'd like that view on the species, forcing them into these suits they can't get out of with a collar or something. It'd be interesting.

EDIT: As an observation from a friend, these look like Squidward.

latest?cb=20130629231447

So I imagine the idea is that they don't actually wear special suits, considering those neat sprites you posted earlier. Possibly encourage wearing some winter coats to make things interesting?

Are there any special drawbacks to actually being exposed to room temperatures beyond "being uncomfortable"?

How easy it is for them to obtain the supercooled air? Seems like it's either a roundstart item they get, meaning super easy, or one that only scientists and atmos techs have access to, meaning super hard. In either case - balanceeeeee.

All in all - this is probably the best idea for a new race I've seen in a long time, +1 so much.

Also, I can help out with the lore if I get some pointers and the race's actual functionality in the code is set.

They don't start with supercooled internals, but those can be obtained anywhere where a freezer is connected to an O2 tank (though you need an upgraded freezer to get it cold enough for max regeneration). The min tier regeneration (which is ~3 brute/burn per breath, fairly slow) is getting the tank below 260 Kelvin (-13.5°C), but cooling a tank below that will start making the tank pressure rapidly decrease.

Currently they can maintain their comfortable body temperature if they wear something with the THICKMATERIAL property. There are no automatic downsides for simply overheating (rather than burning, just the red thermometer icon), but it might be possible to code some.

Lore help would be greatly appreciated, though their code functionality is not yet set. The only other major piece of lore I have for them is their language:

name = "Orluum"

desc = "The droning, vibrous language of the Drask. It sounds somewhat like whalesong"

Oh god yes! I have been saving up karma for either a Vox or Slime, BUT... if i could choose this, i would so damn hard. Cold dependant = a spessrace! Imagine a race that has space as a place to live. God yes!

And breathing cooled oxygen as a way to heal up? Oh more yes! Maybe balance this out that touch based chemicals do not work on em, like burn and brute patches. Would have to relay for healing on their cooled tanks. If i remember then, ye can get -200C cooled oxygen with basic freezer, but freezers are limited. One on toxin, cryo in medbay, atmos and RnD server cooling (on station ones).

My only concern here, balance-wise, is with their regeneration ability. What's to stop them from going atmos tech every round, and then becoming an unstoppable, crazed, killing machine wielding a fire axe that never needs to go to medbay? Maybe only allowing it to heal a certain % of your current damage would be a good fix? I'm unsure honestly. Other than that though I really like this idea. It seems you put a lot of work into this and it looks to be an pretty unique race, which I think is something we really need.

Im thinking balance wise right now, since they have 0 C body temp. then Cryoxadone should not affect them... yet, but it is much easier to achieve cold level for cryoxadone to start affecting resulting another epic healing factor.

Maybe chance that, they must breathe cold oxygen to survive (like vox nitrogen), but feel uncomfortable in normal temp room. No healing from cold oxygen, but lower body temp. Enough for the cryoxadone to start affecting them. Good fast healing and hard to get hands on unless scientist or chemist.

To balance lower body temp, maybe make that unable to be cloned the normal way (like slimes) and immune to touch based chemicals, the good and bad. Lore could be that having to suvive such harsh cold climate, the skin of this race has evoled to resist even the smallest of amount chemicals and will not allow touch based chemicals to affect them.

The limit on their regeneration is they have to be able to breathe, and it only increments with every breath (about every 2-3 seconds). Also, at the moment, they can't regenerate toxin or clone damage (I didn't add anything special to regen oxy damage, since that regens if you can breathe anyway). Organ damage and broken bones still require surgery.

I'll look into coding the touch chems thing, but first I want to playtest them as they are to see how they balance.

The limit on their regeneration is they have to be able to breathe, and it only increments with every breath (about every 2-3 seconds). Also, at the moment, they can't regenerate toxin or clone damage (I didn't add anything special to regen oxy damage, since that regens if you can breathe anyway). Organ damage and broken bones still require surgery.

I'll look into coding the touch chems thing, but first I want to playtest them as they are to see how they balance.

For some reason I thought they were boneless... My mistake. I still have concerns about the regen, but you bring up a very valid point in that they need to breath. In an earlier comment you stated they can regen 3 brute/burn every breath, does that mean both 3 brute and burn, or just 3 total split between the two? If it's the former I'm somewhat uncomfortable with anything being able to regen 120 damage in around a minute.

Another question I have is how they deal with infections from untreated wounds. Do they wounds close themselves up to the point where you don't see them when examining, or does it just eliminate the damage done and leave them, requiring you to go to medbay? Admittedly I'm unsure as to how the infection system works as a whole, but this is something I'm curious about as well.

For some reason I thought they were boneless... My mistake. I still have concerns about the regen, but you bring up a very valid point in that they need to breath. In an earlier comment you stated they can regen 3 brute/burn every breath, does that mean both 3 brute and burn, or just 3 total split between the two? If it's the former I'm somewhat uncomfortable with anything being able to regen 120 damage in around a minute.

Another question I have is how they deal with infections from untreated wounds. Do they wounds close themselves up to the point where you don't see them when examining, or does it just eliminate the damage done and leave them, requiring you to go to medbay? Admittedly I'm unsure as to how the infection system works as a whole, but this is something I'm curious about as well.

Well, boneless in the same way the Kidan are maybe (they still get fractures). Wounds become infected if left untreated too long. External ones can be treated by reducing the damage to zero, but internal ones (fractures for sure, not sure about organs) also become infected if left alone too long IIRC. And yeah, the stat numbers on these guys almost certainly need tweaking, which is why I need to start playtesting the crap out of them

Pls no more races.

We have enough.

Yeah and many of them are human reskins with one or two stats changed.

If we have too many races, I think this should replace Skrell. All they have is a language, the ability to breath underwater (perfect for fighting off aquatic foes IN SPACE), and the inability to wear some headgear.

Pls no more races.

We have enough.

Yeah and many of them are human reskins with one or two stats changed.

If we have too many races, I think this should replace Skrell. All they have is a language, the ability to breath underwater (perfect for fighting off aquatic foes IN SPACE), and the inability to wear some headgear.

Same can be said about most of our races.

Skrell lore is pretty neat, IIRC.

So, after a round of playtesting with 4 people, we learned:

-They need a fix for the sideview boxing glove sprites

-They can almost spacewalk with cold (-90 C) internals, but will die after 4-5 minutes

-They can definitely spacewalk with supercold (-200 C) internals, regenerating faster than they take pressure damage

-They die in 5 welder hits, crit in 2 laser hits

-In a claymore battle with supercold (-200 C) internals, they won't die until their breathing is stopped, in this case via decapitation. In normal highlander conditions, though, their internals would get deleted, putting them on equal footing with humans. Also, despite not dying, the subject in question could not move due to his injuries, despite the regen preventing his death.

Could probably use a few more rounds of playtesting to determine needed stat changes, but for now I'm going to work on giving them unique organs/gibs and some sounds

Organ sprites

NFDpCmg.png

The liver and appendix sprites are vanilla, but unused in this race (I'm combining their liver and kidney functions into one organ for now)

Alright, the hard stuff is over. All I need now for these guys is:

-Some sounds

-Lore

-More testing/balance tweaks

What even are they? Amphibians, fungal, reptilian? Something else entirely? That would help with lore and sounds (neither of which I know how to do but I'm just curious).

I've tried to avoid them resembling anything from Earth, but as for the sounds, their language description says it resembles whalesong, and I was thinking something between that and the strider sounds from Half Life 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use