Remove Infections/Rotting/Germs

Fox McCloud

No one seems to enjoy them, no one likes dealing with them, and it's a pain in the ass when you get a sheet of paper thrown at you and you have a raging infection that requires full out surgery 30 minutes later.

Thoughts/input/discussion on just plain removing germs/infections/rotting organs in their entirety? I've seen nothing but complaints about them and how much they suck---and they're, quite frankly, a teeny teeny portion of what medical does (and not even the fun aspect of medical, IMO).

It also means that that brain you worked so hard to recover is suddenly not viable when you finally attempt to implant it back into a new body because "oh, it rotted, sorry, too late".

From medical and non-medical players alike. Ya want to see them removed?

As a frequent Medical player, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

I dislike the notion of removing rotting and germs. Remove that, and you have situations like someone having their arm blown off, coming to Medbay twenty minutes later, and the arm is still good as new and perfectly able to be reattached with absolutely no issues.

You can have have a brain lying on a table for an hour and then just put it back into someone with absolutely no problem at all. You can have someone perform heart surgery while wearing black gloves stained with oil with absolutely no downsides or risk of infection whatsoever.

Frankly, I don't like the idea of removing it. Treating an infection is as simple as applying a scalpel and then cautery, if external, or a simple dose of Spaceacillin, if internal. Takes literally five seconds of your and the doctor's time. Rotting can easily be fixed by the use of Freezers, mostly because the only people with any real reason to keep organic limbs and organs around for extended periods of time have access to Freezers by default (and if they don't, they can always order one from Cargo). Germs follows in the same line of thought: it makes sense that something that's filthy leaves behind an infection if used in medical treatment.

What I'm trying to get at, is that it adds to the overall RP atmosphere of the station. You know that if you get ghetto surgery, odds are that you're getting internal infection that can't adequately be fixed without visiting medbay. You know that if you leave a vital organ on a table for too long, it's not going to be usable after long. You know that if you lose a limb, you either get it reattached ASAP, or you go to Robotics for a replacement.

Mechanics like these moderate player behaviour towards greater self-preservation and towards seeking proper medical attention. Organ rotting gives Medical players a reason to both use Freezers, and not lollygag when handling critical supplies. Germs encourage people to clean themselves and tools for the sake of the patient.

Removing infections/rotting/germs because "it's a pain in the ass" seems like a poor reason, considering the fact that the whole point of infections/rotting/germs is to be a pain in the ass to remind people to perform proper procedure. It's immensely easy to avoid infections in surgery if you clean up properly, rotting can be stopped by closing a lid on a Freezer and minor damage can always be on the receiving end of a bandaid, encouraging people to actually use Medbay rather than other methods.

All in all, not a fan of removing these mechanics.

No.

In fact, I'd rather see acute organ infections become incurable by spaceacillin and require transplants.

The suggestion to remove/reduce this just allows people to run around whilst heavily injured with no penalty aside from the existing damage - which seems wholly redundant as we're an RP server and the existing mechanic supports just that.

As for brain rotting, unless Lemon (I think it was Lemon) didn't unfix it, MMI's can revive brains.

I would be in favor of removing brain rotting outright, personally - it's already hilariously shitty to be gibbed and have almost no chance of being revived anyways, only to have your already slim chance taken away (adding insult to injury).

Not too sure about this

Sure, removing the common infection from light wounds etc would be good, but I would still like to see infections and germs from doing surgery, that way we can give a drawback to the "ghetto surgery in maint"

Rotting i am heavily against removing, see what tully said on this, basically make doctors use the freezers, it's not our fault that they're incompetent.

Removing it because "it's a pain in the ass" sounds like you just want to make the game easier for the sake of "I can't be bothered"

If we start removing stuff that is "a pain in the ass" we'll end up with a game that's far less complex than what we used to, which would for me remove the whole charm of SS13

Removing rotting would be completely coddling the medical system. Part of the work of doctors is cleanliness - washing hands, washing tools, and at the very least, removing infection would make ghetto surgery and malpractice pretty rampant without any notable consequences.

Don't make shit even easier for medical by removing rotting and germs and all that.

"No one seems to enjoy them" "No one likes dealing with them" "they suck"

No one enjoys/No one likes dealing with being permabrigged or being murdered or being gibbed and they usually complain that it sucks but we shouldn't just remove those features just because people can't man their shit up.

"That brain isn't viable"

Just put it in an mmi you goof, they're practically brain jars. :P

Or just don't have a rottable one.

Stop trying to make this game a tight hugbox where punishments for stupidity doesn't exist. Wash your hands, use freezers and MMIs, and treat wounds with insanely easy to get chemicals

Edited by Guest

I can think of something else that no one does enjoy, but absolutely no effort is being made to improve or remove it. This I know people dislike OOC. Complaints about germs are probably IC complaints, comparable to real doctors not wanting patients to contract infections. At the end of the day, does anyone really dislike germs? Probably not, or at least not that much.

no way, infections are fun, and ever since spaceacilin got buffed it's pretty easy to treat them. The only thing that irks me is brain rotting because it removes a player from the round for good, unless the MMI thing is back which honestly I have no idea if it is. I'm even with Shadey on the acute infections, I kinda want organ transplants to be more of a thing.

I've done about 10 hours of playing a surgeon a week for the past month, and not once have I done an organ transplant that wasn't brain related.

I've seen shitty docs waste a lot of time harvesting organs from monkeys and leave the corpses lying around though, but they generally spent more time experimenting and not helping patients anyway.

Infection is really easy to deal with, as has been mentioned before. Washing hands, and a few cc of spaceacilin solves the rest.

Infection never requires surgery, though if it's localized it's a 5 second treatment.

-1 from me.

Infections are annoying but fine, if anything they've toned down from the days of burning your hand on a light bulb and croaking from kidney failure half hour later from the acute infection.

Making infections require at least 10-20 damage to the limb would be a start, if looking to make them less common.

Rotting is pretty annoying, less so that the brain can degrade but more that said degradation can't be fixed.

We'd need a means to GET organs for transplants to be a thing, mechancial ones or even flash cloned ones. Taking an organ from a person/animal should require compatible blood types.

Honestly medical is easier than it ever has been, with defibs, upgrades, faster surgery, etc. I don't like the idea of removing stuff like this, although making it clearer to new players how and why it happens and how to fix it would be nice.

And while I'm at it, fever making a bit more sense. If someone is 70c, id expect them to be dead.

Making infections require at least 10-20 damage to the limb would be a start, if looking to make them less common.

You only roll for an infection if you the wound has 10 or more damage.

And while I'm at it, fever making a bit more sense. If someone is 70c, id expect them to be dead.

The reason people don't do ghetto surgery isn't because of infections or germs and such, its because ghetto surgery causes more damage than it heals. Go into ghetto surgery with hairline fracture, leave ghetto surgery with multiple damaged organ, a caved in rib cage, and brain damage from the tools failing every other try and breaking bones somehow. "whoops, slipped doing eye surgery, now your skull is broken, whoops slipped on skull surgery, now your brain is damaged, whoops slipped on the very last step, now your skull and brain are just mush"

Ahahahaha -1

On a serious note, dealing with infections is laughably easy. Medical, as is, is freaking easy, assuming you have a competent chemist. For most injuries its: Analyse, Grab Patch/Pill to match damage, apply until fixed. For serious injuries involving broken bones, all it is, is following a list of certain actions until finished. Its easy enough as is, and if anything, could stand to be harder. Just my honest opinion.

Ahahahaha -1

On a serious note, dealing with infections is laughably easy. Medical, as is, is freaking easy, assuming you have a competent chemist. For most injuries its: Analyse, Grab Patch/Pill to match damage, apply until fixed. For serious injuries involving broken bones, all it is, is following a list of certain actions until finished. Its easy enough as is, and if anything, could stand to be harder. Just my honest opinion.

It'd be nice to have a competent chemist around consitently. Personally I'm a big fan of custom cyro mixes that have mannitol and maybe some charcoal if we have spiders.

Obviously a well-stocked fridge is helpful too.

Med has been harder because of all the changes to surgery where we can't stack things like implants and fixing internal bleeding.

What I like about medical is a lot of people come to medbay assuming they'll get slow and shitty service and healing. Fixing people quickly and efficiently gets them back on their feet and in a good mood, and using defibs and strange reagent separate novices from intermediates.

I don't see a reason why should we remove germs and infections.

Why? everything that's stated above. Also because it's not that hard dealing with them... unless you're not medical personnel. Apply a full syringe of spacechilin in the infected area and BAM! infection gone.. or reduced so you'll have to inject another syringe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to think the OP has no intentions of RPing on this server. Because this isn't the first suggestion thread he posted to where he wants a vital "Role playing element" removed from the game.

He just sounds like he wants this game too simplified and "arcade-y". Fox, if you're not going to appreciate the "role playing" on this game and instead complain about role playing elements in which that's what this game is supposed to have, which is "role playing on a station", you might as well just stop playing Space Station 13 all together and stop posting these pointless suggestion posts.

Because they're not going to happen. Sorry, but they're not. No matter how much you dislike it. Tough luck. I mean really, this post was just as pointless as your post that suggested you wanted the auto-aim removed. If you want to play a shooter, you're playing the wrong game, as well as uploading posts on the wrong forums.

I highly recommend you change your direction of where you want to suggest this game to go. That's my only criticism I can give you.

I'm starting to think the OP has no intentions of RPing on this server. Because this isn't the first suggestion thread he posted to where he wants a vital "Role playing element" removed from the game.

He just sounds like he wants this game too simplified and "arcade-y". Fox, if you're not going to appreciate the "role playing" on this game and instead complain about role playing elements in which that's what this game is supposed to have, which is "role playing on a station", you might as well just stop playing Space Station 13 all together and stop posting these pointless suggestion posts.

Because they're not going to happen. Sorry, but they're not. No matter how much you dislike it. Tough luck. I mean really, this post was just as pointless as your post that suggested you wanted the auto-aim removed. If you want to play a shooter, you're playing the wrong game, as well as uploading posts on the wrong forums.

I highly recommend you change your direction of where you want to suggest this game to go. That's my only criticism I can give you.

Fox and not wanting RP doesn't go together in the slightest, least, not if you look at the github or a number of his comments elsewhere. If anything, this is actually pretty abnormal from what I usually see from the guy, and something I've thought about for a while.

In the end, as a frequent medical or pseudo-medical players, I can say that the infections actually do add to it, and as it stands, I'm inclined to enjoy how they are right now. Fully explained reasons were incredibly well done by the novella Tully wrote on it.

Fox and not wanting RP doesn't go together in the slightest, least, not if you look at the github or a number of his comments elsewhere. If anything, this is actually pretty abnormal from what I usually see from the guy, and something I've thought about for a while.

In the end, as a frequent medical or pseudo-medical players, I can say that the infections actually do add to it, and as it stands, I'm inclined to enjoy how they are right now. Fully explained reasons were incredibly well done by the novella Tully wrote on it.

Well I apologize for that then. I just assumed Fox is not really thinking clearly when he makes these posts. Made me think he wants Space Station 13 to be too. . .what's the word. . .too "arcade-y".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use