Should MMIs revive dead brains?

Crazylemon

Currently, if a brain rots - that's it - there's no way to bring them back. Namely, a large part of this was due to me adding a check to the MMI to not allow dead brains in - should I let dead brains work inside of an MMI? And furthermore, should I allow MMIs to reset the "dead" variable of the brain?

Yes.

Body parts decay way too fast, and by the time you get a brain to medical and get a humanized monkey from genetics to transplant it into it's already gone bad.

I had actually assumed MMI's not being capable of preserving brains anymore was a bug.

I was putting brains in bodies, chopping heads off, then re-attaching them to circumvent this earlier in order to revive people. ;p

Either that, or medbay should be supplied with MMI's.

Generally by the time they get anywhere where they can be MMI'd though they're already dead.

I'd honestly prefer if brains just never died, but that's just me.

The fact that organic brains can perma die can be viewed as an IPC buff though (since posibrains never do).

Does the Fix-o-vien not fix debrained brains anymore? If it doesn't they probably should.

As for medical getting MMIs, really they should start with a small cache of MMIs AND robotic limbs.

I think there should be a way to bring rotten brains back.

Heck it could be a machine in genetics that takes a rather hefty amount of a certain resource or something to derot a brain (I can already see a little glass container with a brain inside bubbling away)

I feel like Strange Reagent would be a good choice here. If the body's gone but you've still got a brain you should be able to restore the brain to health with a few drops of Strange Reagent so you can then put it in a body.

It's already somewhat difficult to make Strange Reagent, but when it does get made it seems like it hardly gets used.

Medbay shouldn't get anything that Robotics is supposed to be able to do. If someone is missing limbs or needs a brain borging then they should go to Robotics, not be done in Medbay. Along with that, if a deaded brain is found then there should be a way to revive it for transplant/borging. Kero makes a good point for Strange Reagent but I would imagine high doses of whatever heals brain damage would work too if that could be done.

The brain jaw isn't a bad idea, maybe also for preserving a brain and having it on display. A niche machine for repairing a brain, I'd rather not to be honest

Medbay shouldn't get anything that Robotics is supposed to be able to do. If someone is missing limbs or needs a brain borging then they should go to Robotics, not be done in Medbay. Along with that, if a deaded brain is found then there should be a way to revive it for transplant/borging. Kero makes a good point for Strange Reagent but I would imagine high doses of whatever heals brain damage would work too if that could be done.

The brain jaw isn't a bad idea, maybe also for preserving a brain and having it on display. A niche machine for repairing a brain, I'd rather not to be honest

Nobody needs a brain borging.

You do not under any circumstances (for about the 100th time) borg a dead body that you can't reasonably get confirmation from.

Borging an unwilling person (which includes dead bodies, who can't consent) is murder and you deserve to be charged over it.

You don't enact a punishment on par with an execution simply because it's easier.

For spare limbs, medbay doesn't need robotic parts either, we have humanized monkeys and farwahumans we can use for limbs.

Medbay however could use MMI's for keeping brains preserved whilst prepping for surgery to PROPERLY revive a person (not as a borg)

You do not under any circumstances (for about the 100th time) borg a dead body that you can't reasonably get confirmation from.

Borging an unwilling person (which includes dead bodies, who can't consent) is murder and you deserve to be charged over it.

You don't enact a punishment on par with an execution simply because it's easier.

For spare limbs, medbay doesn't need robotic parts either, we have humanized monkeys and farwahumans we can use for limbs.

Medbay however could use MMI's for keeping brains preserved whilst prepping for surgery to PROPERLY revive a person (not as a borg)

I have never, ever known how to transplant a limb.

Easy peesy.

Have a suitable limb (you can use rotten ones, but they'll be septic and slowly kill the patient) and target the area with the missing limb.

Exact same process as you use with robotic limbs.

In this case, instead of printing off a limb, you use a circular saw to saw it off the humanized monkey.

Occasionally you may need to remove a limb stub from a person, which is a simple process of targeting the affected area with a circular saw.

If you're not actually killing someone, you can't be done for murder. Unlawful borging is usually treated as murder/manslaughter because you need to kill someone to take their brain out, and there is no proof that the person consented to being killed. Killing someone without their consent is generally malicious. But just chucking their brain in a cyborg is not murder.

As a counter proposal, perhaps a chemical compound would be a better way of reviving brains than hand-waving with MMIs...

One person mentioned strange reagent, which might work okay. Though, if dead brains is as common as this suggestion leads me to believe, it might be a bit too difficult to obtain in sufficient quantities. Maybe a new chem made from something like sterilizine (to clean the germs), synthflesh (to replace decayed/damaged cells), and mannitol (to re-establish/repair neural pathways) that would effectively "reset" the decay of a brain when you splash the reagent on it. Could call it something like Gray Matter (brain jokes?) and make it so it returns the brain to a usable state until it gets covered in germs and dies again if not transplanted quickly enough.

If you're not actually killing someone, you can't be done for murder. Unlawful borging is usually treated as murder/manslaughter because you need to kill someone to take their brain out, and there is no proof that the person consented to being killed. Killing someone without their consent is generally malicious. But just chucking their brain in a cyborg is not murder.

Having a lack of signed paperwork by the person submitted for a borging is proof of either manslaughter or murder.

Chucking a brain in a cyborg is akin to murder, because 99% of players do not want to be a cyborg when alternative means are available (and if you have the brain, alternative means always are).

It's lazy, it's sloppy, and it's inconsiderate.

Don't do it.

On the subject of tissue preservation.

potentially, we could make climate controlled boxes that slow down the tissue decay to an absurdly low speed, similar to the chest freezers in surgery (I have no idea how long they last for however), but only mobile to allow for transportation to the surgical suite.

Allowing for an expanded amount of time before even the first signs of cellular death can be noticed from the lack of circulation.

Plus, the bar/kitchen could get them for Ice cold drink or Ice cream delivery.

Potentially using Cryostylane and Oxygen to keep it cold

(you could also use it as a hotbox if you were inclined as well by using Pyrosium instead).

Chemistry could also use it with unstable chemicals that could react on room temperature.

And for ghetto surgery, you could fill up a cardboard box with ice to do the same effect, only the box itself just falls apart after a while as the ice melts and gets the cardboard all soggy, or you could use a toolbox full of ice and have the water drip out of it.

This might lead to Antag organ harvesting events with the expanded tissue life however, so you might get knocked out and wake up later in a bathtub full of ice.

Having a lack of signed paperwork by the person submitted for a borging is proof of either manslaughter or murder.

Yeah, no. If they're in the morgue and they haven't been cloned, it's fair to borg them and not suffer murder charges.

People may despise being borged, but if you're lying dead in the morgue, uncloned, and you happen to be borged instead of cloned, then, as Neca said, that's nowhere near murder.

You can't commit murder on something that's already dead.

{Everything Shadeykins says}

Chucking a brain in a cyborg is akin to murder, because 99% of players do not want to be a cyborg when alternative means are available (and if you have the brain, alternative means always are).

It's lazy, it's sloppy, and it's inconsiderate.

Don't do it.

I cannot agree more with this.

Fox, if the brain is suited for borgings, it's suited for cloning/transplants. Or at least I am pretty damn sure you can't slap a dead brain in an MMI as I've tried and it didn't work.

The IC reason you need paperwork to brog someone is manslaughter but OOC it's to not force someone into a role that you seriously cannot just do easily on the fly. Not everyone can play borg, deal with the HUGE limitations that comes with it or responsibilities.

Yeah, no. If they're in the morgue and they haven't been cloned, it's fair to borg them and not suffer murder charges.

People may despise being borged, but if you're lying dead in the morgue, uncloned, and you happen to be borged instead of cloned, then, as Neca said, that's nowhere near murder.

You can't commit murder on something that's already dead.

If you're lying dead in the morgue, and the roboticist sees the morgue lights, and there's no DNR, they have 0 reason to borg you.

Any sensible person is going to instead yell at the medical staff, rather than FORCING a player into HIGHLY RESTRICTIVE role without their consent.

Your example is literally moot here.

If you are able to borg, you are able to clone. Fullstop.

Borging someone without consent is an absolutely shitty thing to do, and it's also...

4. The Roboticist is not permitted to transfer personnel MMIs into Cyborgs without express written consent from the person in question. The consent form should be kept safe;

...Against SoP under all alert levels, and you should rightfully get your ass fired 100% of the time for it.

Don't borg cloneables. Ever. Period.

The exception is 404's and people who actually give consent.

Oh right, the thread topic. So sorry.

I'd like the idea of using MMIs to preserve brains as they work well and allow the players to vocally interact with the world.

But maybe instead of an MMI (to prevent unwanted borging) have a device similar but repairs the brain over time.

Portable or a new medical machine, either would be lovely to bring Tripp players back into the game and have some fun again.

Or at least let strange reagent do the job when applied directly to the brains. It's already near-magical in nature.

So, A smaller version of the cryo tank, but in this case, not cold at all and filled with an oxygen rich, anti-bacterial gel mixed with a regenerative substance.

Could potentially put more than one brain in the tank at a time, leading to the SS13 version of the fish tank you get at the doctors, plus, you could put it in the medbay lobby, allowing for people to quickly dump brains into the tank. couple this with the ice boxes, and people could save brains far more often.

Or someone could steal a brain from the tank, stuff it into an ice box and run away cackling to victory.

I like the idea of having a machine or something near the cryotubes or cloners which can revive dead brains over time. It'd probably take a bit of time, but get faster with research upgrades. It could even have the lights that the morgue has, going red for brains without a mind, purple for when the brain is ghosted, and green when the brain is occupied. Throwing one of these in robotics might be helpful too.

Medbay shouldn't get anything that Robotics is supposed to be able to do. If someone is missing limbs or needs a brain borging then they should go to Robotics, not be done in Medbay.

You do realize that argument works against robotics more than it does medical? In the old days Robotics had to take corpses to Medical for debraining, not the other way around. If the logic that Medbay shouldn't get MMIs or spare prosthetics is valid, then Robotics shouldn't get a surgical table and surgery tools.

As for the brain jars... neutral. I'd rather see a more active approach to medical, not 'toss in machine, turn it on and go for 5 minute coffee.'

I'd much more support use of surgical tools to repair brains and/or liberal use of mannitol.

Medbay shouldn't get anything that Robotics is supposed to be able to do. If someone is missing limbs or needs a brain borging then they should go to Robotics, not be done in Medbay.

Really, don't even need a prosthetic as Medical has access to a good chunk of the races straight from genetics.

The only real benefit would be speed as you can have the mechanical organ on standby without it rotting away but a good doctor has all the time they need.

It comes down to tastes if they want flesh or cyborg parts/mechanical organs.

An MMI would be handy though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use