Allow internet slang in the server.

Saint Pepsi

yeh is under rule 8 for meta for some reason, although honestly I think it'd go better in the communicate rule or in its own rule or something

-1 I get ahelps any time anybody uses netspeak, and it's an elephant in the room during most roleplay conversations. Not only this, but, no matter how much it feels like it isn't, the Cyberiad is a place of work and a research facility, if you wanted to go by lore. In terms of realism, this isn't, and hopefully never will be identical to real life and in some cases, even remotely close to it.

OOC intervention into IC is at times necessary to maintain the environment we'd like to keep on the server, letting people "play their character their way" is something we try to do, so long as it doesn't ruin the atmosphere or detract from the experience of the server, which is why we don't allow holocaust jokes, racial slurs, references to real-life terrorism, and a number of other aspects that could reasonably be seen as incredibly distasteful (swearing at people is obviously allowed, just look up the word fuck and see how many pages of results you get! Just don't be a dick about it.)

In personal terms. It's highly obnoxious, detracts from how I see the community of the game, and quite frankly makes your character look uneducated at times. (Understandably, some people try for their character to look uneducated, be aware netspeak is fine on PDAs.)

P.S. Being a racist against In-Game species has always been allowed to a degree. Real discrimination is incredibly distasteful.

I'll be perfectly honest, the experience thing is total crap. If people come here to ROLEPLAY and get offended by something a CHARACTER does, they are likely not mature enough to play, period. That, or they're from Tumblr. It's like watching a TV show, do you stop watching a TV show because it has a racist/homophobic/etc. character? Do you scream shit at a play then leave because a character made a joke you are 'offended' by? No.

I digress.

As for this, I can definitely see it devolving. Just make sure it's in moderation, if people start hippifying their speech, call the admins, but something like "Really dude, do you not know how to build a wall? Like lol." should be fine. People do that IRL, tbh.

The problem with that, is that we just don't allow it, and from how most admins handle the complaints about it, it's not something that's very flexible. Yes, people do it in real life. Yes, I wouldn't stop watching something just because of that sort of speech. But we're entirely dependent on player interaction and the amount of people joining. It's not so much "offending" somebody, as much as it's just being a dick to somebody. If people dislike something and ask you to knock it off, the simple rule of thumb is that you quit it. In any case, my final vote is a -1 as last time, no thanks by any means.

Netspeak is fine for:

- PDAs (netspeak on effectively mobile devices, which are a large reason netspeak exists. perfectly acceptable)

- Papers (prepare to have even the clown make fun of you for this, and the HoP to demote you to "Incompetent Waste of Life")

- Newscasters (prepare to be ignored and/or taunted for using a newscaster in the first place)

- Deadchat (u salty bro?)

- OOC / LOOC (yea, u salty)

Netspeak is not fine for:

- IC says

- IC emotes

- Being taken seriously.

I'd love a server where netspeak and racism and homophobia and other assorted bigotry was used to enhance rp.

But 99.9% of the time it's not used for rp. It's people trying to be edgy and offend others, or in the case of netspeak, just being lazy.

Contrary to popular belief, admin aren't actually offended by racism etc. They're generally fairly thick skinned. When someone is racist, I don't freak out and have hurt feelings, I just think they're and insufferable dickhead who I don't want on the server.

Its like when a 7 year old calls you a poopy head. You're not offended, you just think they're immature.

I've had some chars use netspeak ic, generally to make them look like idiots, or mock people. Spelling it out - double you tee eff, or el oh el, gets the point across of how stupid it is.

I dislike netspeak and casual racism for the same reason I dislike players who immediately start making meth or other drugs in-game BECAUSE WHO DOESN'T LIKE DRUGS AMIRITE?

latest?cb=20140812001940

Its like when a 7 year old calls you a poopy head. You're not offended, you just think they're immature.

Plus it makes banning a lot easier if they start being racist a-holes over the adminhelps.

Anyhow I think the main issue here is puts on his menacing voice the line!!!¡!!¿!

There is no way to decide wheter saying lel or kek is any different from saying xD or rofl.

We'd have to compile a list with every single slang term known to man...

Plus it makes banning a lot easier if they start being racist a-holes over the adminhelps.

Anyhow I think the main issue here is puts on his menacing voice the line!!!¡!!¿!

There is no way to decide wheter saying lel or kek is any different from saying xD or rofl.

We'd have to compile a list with every single slang term known to man...

Just go by a rule of thumb "if it breaks RP or isn't realistically able to be said (you can't pronounce xD or lmao) then it isn't allowed"

I don't see why you'd want to use this in a RP game. If you want to use this, go to CoD or something. It makes me sad to see that something that used to be laughing matter a year ago is now turning into something that people want to implement.

I don't see why you'd want to use this in a RP game. If you want to use this, go to CoD or something. It makes me sad to see that something that used to be laughing matter a year ago is now turning into something that people want to implement.

Because it can be used /for/ RP.

As can racism, homophobia, other bigotry, poop, and ERP.

Just because it can, doesn't mean it will be used for RP a majority of the time. Or even 1% of the time.

And if your characters concept revolves around using netspeak so heavily that you can't play that character without it, then no great loss.

Just because it can, doesn't mean it will be used for RP a majority of the time. Or even 1% of the time.

And if your characters concept revolves around using netspeak so heavily that you can't play that character without it, then no great loss.

There's a bittersweet line here. Racism, homophobia, bigotry, and ERP are all either offensive, not used correctly, or not rated PG13. Net speak is harmless. Saying a simple 'Kek' should be fine, or saying 'Lol' or, if you prefer, el-oh-el. I say 'Oh-Em-Gee' regularly, it isn't harmful whatsoever.

There's a bittersweet line here. Racism, homophobia, bigotry, and ERP are all either offensive, not used correctly, or not rated PG13. Net speak is harmless. Saying a simple 'Kek' should be fine, or saying 'Lol' or, if you prefer, el-oh-el. I say 'Oh-Em-Gee' regularly, it isn't harmful whatsoever.

If a player has to deal with something like that ICly, it can escalate and get worse, as well as ending up in somebody getting fairly miffed OOCly if the experience is ruined. The concept isn't so much that it is harmful, but more that it's obnoxious, unneeded, and just plain unfitting for the type of community we have or would like to have in the future.

I would also like to reference one of my favorite metaphors that I've found, thanks to our local armchair psych, or at least dapper gentleman.

Person A: Can I have a cookie?

Person B: No.

A: Why?

B: (Explanation.)

A: Ok, can I have a cookie now?

B: No.

A: Ok. How about if I eat it in slow bites?

A: What if I give half to you? Can I get a cookie then?

A: I'm so frustrated! I just don't understand why you won't give me a cookie!

Disagreement isn't wrong.

What's wrong is saying you don't understand why the coders won't give you the cookie.

They've explained it four different ways.

[spoiler2]Posted originally in the "increase atmospheric spread" thread here. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6884&hilit=cookie&start=60[/spoiler2]

I'm with Neca in that I'd not like to see it anywhere near IC chats, aside from the occasional PDA message.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use