Genetics Mapping Suggestion

Shadeykins

Updated once again.

Removed the excess alarm/APC (so it's a singular room), and added in a chem fridge.

My point about those Western doors still firmly stands.

Any amount of charcoal a doctor carries with them is not going to be enough if the toxin damage was enough to kill.

Depending on how the person is receiving Resp damage (lungs/heart/choked/blood loss) it most likely has already reached 200 and you'd need something stronger, faster.

Epinephrine is what would help stop someone from dying instantly after a defrib (depending on the damage).

Anyway, you assume there will be a borg available or an AI to bolt them open. I don't think an AI is going to stand guard over it to close it on a dime unless called for.

I don't think ANY doctor minds if anyone shoves a critical patient into a cryopod because that is one less death to deal with.

During an emergency with no medical doctor around? Just screwed.

Rogue AI? Much easier to cripple the crew.

Bomb? Cloner AND cryo taken out in one go.

I also just noticed there is only one light source behind the cloner console.

I will say though that the fridge there would helps mitigate some of the issues the door causes but they will still affect patients that need surgery fast.

>if you can get past the first set of doors, you can get past this second set

lol nope

I've been allowed to enter medbay before as non-medbay personnel, and I can speak from experience: If you can get through the first set of doors, you can't get through a second set. No one has ever opened up another door for me even in an emergency. I have, on multiple times, tried dragging a corpse into Medbay to get them rdefibbed (Yes this often needs someone to open the medical supply room because some idiot never keeps one near the cryo) or cloned, and one of three things happen everytime:

1) They ignore you completely.

2) They ignore you completely.

OR

3) They try dragging the dead body to the Sleepers like a fuckwit even if ITS FUCKING DECOMPOSING.

I honestly think blocking off Cryo will just lead to more people dying from a critical wound because medbay is too idiotic with doors.

Disclaimer: I only see these things happen on lowpop rounds, oddly enough, but yet on lowpop cooperation is key and adding more obstacles is bad. I also wrote this while a bit tired, so sorrt if I screwed up my rant.

To be perfectly honest with you, if you've gotten past the first set of doors someone has responded to you asking to be let in, be it a person or the AI.

You exclusively play IPC's in my experience, and you seem to be talking about bodies that either require defribs (something that many doctor's don't seem to know how to work), or cloning, not bodies that require cryo - even the worst doctor's will shove people in cryo immediately, even if they're dead - it's sort of one of the hallmarks of a greytidey doctor to exclusively use cryotubes.

If you got in without asking, it's because you have tools or access - and if you have tools or access, the second set of doors aren't going to hinder you even remotely (it takes all of .5 to 1.5 seconds to hack a door open).

@Knightedskull

During an emergency without a doctor, you're already screwed.

A rogue AI will enable medbay lockdown and disable power, making the second set of doors irrelevant anyways, and your argument moot.

Bomb? Cloner and cryo are already taken out in one go.

You severely overestimate how much protection a non-reinforced wall provides against a bomb, they're basically butter to explosives.

As for the light, keep in mind this is a mock up, and not an actually mapped thing - this is me playing with layers in a photo editor.

I'll reiterate that if anything, this should make geneticists (which is the primary goal here) more solidly responsible for the well being of medbay.

I think this is going to, ironically, result in the geneticist being even less involved with helping out at the cloner, as there's even less justification for him to fulfill that roll when anyone who can remotely enter medbay can access+used+activate the cloner (chaplain, chef, detective, etc).

Fox, those people have Morgue access, not standard medbay access. Morgue is it's own button, I believe. Thus, they wouldn't have access to cloning/cryotubes.

I think this is a good idea. More open space, in a commonly cramped area? Boo ya! The chem fridge does seem a little out of place though. What if you had a stash of manitol locked up behind a pill cabinet (like the one in exam) instead? As for mutadone, that should still be in the standard chem fridge.

if you can get past the first set of doors, you can get past this second set

lol nope

Generally my experience as well; it's a lot easier to convince/get the first set of doors open than the second and it's infinitely easier to break into the first set of doors, than the second.

Still bleh, to me.

A thought just occur to me : I can't remember (can't verify with wiki) but I don't think paramedics have Clone access. Can't think WHY they would anyway but I do believe it important for a paramedic to be able to reach the cryo to help keep someone alive long enough for some to come and treat.

The doors to the cloner are tagged as requiring basic medical access.

If you have front door access, you currently have cloner access.

You may be thinking of the detective/chaplain/roboticist, who have morgue access but not basic access (and therefore can't access the cloner).

I'm kinda curious how difficult it would be to move the cloner and computer into the middle of the room (up 2 tiles) and move the door they are infront of down to the bottom, if Science was in the mood to upgrade they'd have space and area for up to three more cloning tubes (really wish cloning started with 2 tubes by defualt but hey)

Not sure how many tubes can be hooked to one machine, or the radius, but it'd be neat if cloning was actually set up for multiple tubes

Edit: I can't get dreammaker to work, so MSPaint is is.

DsKTWKH.png

Something like that, would be neat IMO, would have to move the table in genetics up one, but it would give room for expansion, and remove that damn wall that sticks next to the freezer

Edited by Guest

The tubes need to be directly adjacent to the console AFAIK, so you could 'techincally' have six and the scanner though it'd be heavily clustered.

I prefer clone shunting, personally (which is toggling the APC to force a clone early, then shove them in cryo to finish them).

Do cloner tubes need to be directly adjecent? I could have sworn I've seen the actual cloner being a tile or two away on tgcode, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Edit: After today's idiots in medical I kind of want oxygen tanks to be pushed down into the glass, remove the grills and north windows and replace with medbay access windoors.

The tubes need to be directly adjacent to the console AFAIK, so you could 'techincally' have six and the scanner though it'd be heavily clustered.

I prefer clone shunting, personally (which is toggling the APC to force a clone early, then shove them in cryo to finish them).

Genetics should be able to perform hyper-cloning without the need to diddle with power/APC, via their ID card to unlock the Cloning tube, and forcing the ejection early. (At least that was something they USED to be able to do, maybe it got removed?)

Anyway, back on topic: I like the layout, personally. The doors are a big deal, more then what some people seem to think, just last night, I had been handling cloning a few poor fucks, that had some issues in the engine room. Guy immediately runs in, loots the Engineers stuff I left by cryo for his goodies and takes off, while I am right there shouting at him. And after that was similar, but with a Sec officer.

If you don't need to be in Cryo (Or medical in general. Aside Surgery observation for your buddy that is.) You probably shouldn't be IMO. Speaking form experience it can do a lot more harm then good with people clogging up vital areas like Cryo, because it disrupts my grab 8 times out of 10 and makes everything take longer.

Doctors exist for a reason, and if there AREN'T any doctors, you should probably talk to the HoP for a job change, or help from the AI.

Or. Y'know. Just break in.

Issue with your layout is it requires bodies to be placed directly infront of a doorway, and you need to block a door to effectively use the console, David.

I also believe the nerf to one cloner/one cloning tube was deliberate and won't be changing any time soon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use