Species Identification

CureZen

I'm getting really frustrated here. I can no longer depend on colour or body shape to identify the species of a player. Just today I tried to clone a slime person who was decaying in my arms because I thought they were a skrell as they were light green. The round after that I was lit on fire because I decided to cut the head off a nuke ops without realizing they were a plasmaman. You can imagine how well that went over. I work in medical a lot and I generally know what specific species need but when the shift gets hot, I need to be able to find things out without stripping them of their clothes to get a better look at their sprite.

I'd like to suggest an identifier of some sort. Personally I'd vote for it being tied to an examine on someone but if anyone has better ideas or honestly any other input than "Git gud" I'd be happy to hear it.

Bay has this, last I've checked.

When you examine a dude, instead of just saying "This is Bob!" It'll say something like "This is Bob, a Skrell!"

Baystation has a thing that actually tells you what species they are, when you examine.

"This is Spark, a Machine!"

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I can do this easy, but I think it shouldn't work through masks - else disguises might be tricky. Thoughts?

Well the whole point is that I don't want to be ripping off masks and shit just to know whether to clone or defib someone, or what kind of medicine to give them. Plus it doesn't really make sense to no be able to tell a species apart by the fact I can't see its face.

Species should be very discernable at a glance, Skrell and Humans would look mostly alike in full suits/helmets, and slimes to a lesser extent, plasmamen are supposed to wear bulky suits (why the hell are ops anything but human?)

This could be easily solved by having the tiny 16x16px (if it's even that) sprite that shows up on examine be enlarged to 32x32.

This very much would do wonders, as that is how your supposed to figure it out in the first place. If their face isn't obscured it will show you their original race.

I think Bay did it well enough, however the mask case is valid. Why not a species flag called EASILY_IDENTIFIED where, if they're wearing something that obscures identity (by covering the entirety of the head or whatever), it runs a check for said flag where, if it's found, a notification of the player's species is still displayed in the examine text (this would be applied to Vox, Diona, Unathi, Vulpkanin, Skrell, the ant-people and Tajara) due to their extremely defining physical features, whereas species much more closely resembling humans in shape (if nothing more) like the Greys, Slime people (debatable) and Plasmamen will not have a species notification show up in the description if disguised/obscured.

Personally I feel that the race check may need to be under the click drag menu (you know where you take items off people) Where you closely inspect the player for a second or 2, in order to avoid those very few times where a antag gets caught simply because they know your race even through masks. Also It wouldn't really affect the doctors who need to know what race their patience are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use