New Race - I need feedback

thebeoni

So hello i was thinking a lot and i think Paradise needs new unique race.

So the idea basically is Shroom People.

Basically white with giant shroom growing on their head.

Buffs

No need to breath

No pressure damage

Possible respawn

Debuffs

Less damage to die, they would be very squishy almost IPC like.

No headgear can be worn.

Plant-B-Gone is very deadly against them

They would be constant target for traitors (explanation soon)

Balanced mechanic - On death their head shrinks and drops mushroom, which can be then grown in botany - takes around 20 minutes to grow though and needs constant care. This shroom is said to give superpowers. (not really)

Name: Hubayans, Planet of Origin Huba 5, Gribenian Solar System

Basic Lore: On year 2525 human scientists did research on arctic planet Huba 5, research was composed of scanning and categorising parasites. In 2537 parasite outbreak took place on research station with only handful scientists escaping. In 2560, distress singal was accepted by NT ship which then proceeded to planet. On their arrival they discovered new race of sentient beings which could talk in common language and could read. NT scientists discovered that on planet lived very adaptive type of fungus. Which used human DNA and Parasite DNA to create new being. The being took inteligence from human and even faster evolution from parasites. The new beings then used materials found on research station to learn common language and all human knowlenge that was held on station. In mere 23 years they grown into population of over 1000.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see the ability to respawn as being a huge issue, respawn is largely disabled as it is to make death slightly more meaningful and to avoid meta.

I can see the ability to respawn as being a huge issue, respawn is largely disabled as it is to make death slightly more meaningful and to avoid meta.

20 minutes of waiting to respawn, and there would have to be person who brings the shroom to botany and competent botanist.

Shrooms can survive in low-oxygen environments I think.

(Unless I'm an absolutely horrible mycologist. I've heard of mushrooms surviving in space but eh?)

They're some really god-damn resilient plants.

Edited by Guest

Not to mentions that "Hubayans" buffs are a mix of vox and IPC with the disabilities of a diona... I`m not saying it's a bad idea (because I like the backstory), I`m saying that you should change the buffs and disabilities to make them more of a special snowflake. In the good way

Shroompeople sound cool, but not sure how well they'd fit in with some of the other races here. Not that it matters much. I would like to see more races that are different, and I like the thought of mushroom people (My Floran in Starbound has the mushroom head and is named Chanterella and is the cutest carnivorous mushroom plant person).

Pressure resistance and no need to breathe are nifty features, but again, not sure how fitting it is for mushroom people. I'm no mushroom expert, but I severely doubt they'd be spaceproof. I imagine they'd be quite squishy, though, and having less overall 'health' is an interesting feature, rather than simply making them take more damage.

For another feature, they could be able to 'root' or something, to let them stay still to regenerate slowly, fixing all their damage types over time, but holding them still until they're at full health. They'd probably only be able to do this in dim light/darkness

As a respawn mechanic, the whole planting thing is interesting, but a bit specialized... botany having to grow and maintain them as a mushroom, and rather time consuming too. Perhaps simply letting them revive in dim light if left alone for a few minutes would be neat. Perhaps their brain could be a spore or something that could be planted still, if the body is otherwise destroyed.

All in all, cool idea, 7/10 because mushrooms are cool.

Also I'm in support of this, I'd love for it to be an adminbus/event/antag race if it's deemed unsuitable for station use for whatever reason. 8.5/10

I like the idea of this race but I'd replace the idea of the botany getting involved with smudging some spores on any surface of something in the dark and after...10-20 minutes dead, can regrow there. Give the ability a 5-10 minute cooldown. You'll be able to spawn but there is always the chance someone will scrape it off the wall for the chemist.

My other two cents :

•  

Complete inability to be cloned due to NO brain at all. No Organs

No bones. If a part gets too damage it falls off, you're just gonna have to "root" ( which I like the idea of) for several minutes to regrow.

Can't really stitch limbs onto without them eventually just decaying ( as if putting on an IPC) but would be nifty to still attach a shroom limb to another species.

No blood but if "bleeds" they release a short-term spore/dust in the air that makes it harder for others to breath in ( coughing and very small resp damage?)

Not feel pain, or just extreme pains.

Extremely vulnerable to burns and anti-plant chemicals.

Medicinal and narcotic drugs don't really work well or at all for them.

Can't wear shoes or gloves.

That nice root ability everyone is mentioning. Only usable in very dim or complete darkness ( not an excuse to go around breaking lights).

Karma locked.

I don't think we should give them vulnerability to brute damage.

They will be spongy but that's a good thing when blunt force is involved and should have a resistance for that

Knives and other sharp objects? Ya, that should kill much faster.

Beware the chef that will wish to turn you into an ultimate dish!

( in all serious though I imagine that last one to be a coder nightmare unless objects already split up based on sharp/blunt)

Oh sure, no one wants potato people but shroom people are A-OK. Looks like everyone's a Hydroponics hippie wanting to smoke them shrooms. /sarcasm

I know this has been said enough already but we really should focus on the races we have right now before making any new races. No one wants to do anything with what we have already but everyone wants a new race? Don't get me wrong, I still want Resomi but I rather get the other species done first before adding more in.

As for the mushroom people, sounds a little weird. I understand their buffs and debuffs but I feel that there a a few better picks out there. The lore is good though if not a little fast-forwarded. As a constant antag target though you can be promised this would be a validhunter species. As an admin race sure but still be on the lookout for validhunters.

First time reading this I imagined Battleborn shroom ninja. Make it like that guy and I think I can agree more bcs ninja shroom

I don't think you can distinguish between sharp and blunt but idk

That is literally the reason for the SHARP and EDGE flags for weapons. If it isn't SHARP and doesn't have an EDGE, it's probably safe to assume it's blunt. Or a coder error.

It would be a bit messy to make them receive bonus damage from SHARP / EDGE weapons but not all forms of brute damage, but technically feasible.

The root ability does sound like a neat racial feature. A self-inflicted snare/paralyze of some sort that trades mobility and action for healing. Effectively, forcing them to sacrifice the ability to react to threats in exchange for regeneration definitely would avoid this becoming a "powergamer's dream" since you wouldn't be able to just root mid-fight and continue to wreck faces.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use