Centralizing SoP

Knightedskull

After playing several rounds of CMO, I realized the SoP is all over the wiki but not centralized.

This article briefly mentions this and another that but there is no one location with everything in it even though there is an SoP page.

And some things aren't even listed there.

It makes it harder not just for me to follow some SoP but other heads and IA too.

For instance I know that it is against SoP to genetically modify crew or hand out SE without CMO authorization (only) but EVERY head believes that isn't the case 90% of the time.

I had to actually FAX CC for the first time and they themselves confirmed it IC and faxed everyone else (1 IA SSD and the other already proven incompetent).

I feel like there are hidden rules and it seems it can cause further issues if we don't piece it all together.

The Wiki is a bit of mess in places, a lot of it was originally copied from elsewhere and has been edited to reflect changing attitudes.

If what you see differs from what's on the main SoP page, best assume it's outdated, the main page for it is consistent enough.

Though I thought the CMO only had authority over cloning and genetic modification was the RD's half of genetics? :o

It'd be nice to have everything regarding SOP on one single page. There's SOP rules for several different jobs and finding the pages that lists them is not easy for people not familiar with the wiki. I could definitely see listing all the jobs and their specific SOP rules on the base SOP page. Just add an index at the top where you can click on the job title and it jumps down to the appropriate section.

This would especially help with security roles (including IAA, Magistrate, Brig Phys, and Detective) as all of their roles are quite different within the security department. Even for players that have been around for a little while can have trouble with following SOP to the letter (it doesn't help when the person being brigged is constantly screaming about shitcurity) and end up making mistakes because we sometimes have to dig through multiple wiki pages to confirm something that we're not 100% sure about.

we're working on expanding and clarifying SoP, but it is a major task that needs to fit into the game we're trying to create.

Maaaaaan RD don't give a FUCK bout us geneticists; they just give us the radio channel and access to the sci hallway and ignore us!

I get why genetics is dual med and sci, but the cloner is easy enough for the doctors to use, so genetics feel like sci. But the science side never seem to talk to us that much so we basically feel like med.

...Aaand that's my rant on genetics, what were we talking abou-Oh, right, yeah, SoP, I'd like that!

Yeah I felt that way too while being a geneticist.

Though I like the idea of a job shared between departments and medical gets two.

It can create moments like the RD blowing hid lid because I told him that if he wanted some powers then all he had to do was sign the already made forms.

Priceless to watch the salt and compliance when I have to shove a stamped CC letter in his face.

I'm thinking of maybe writing up a small guide that lists off some of Da Rules not commonly known, used, or abused as I find them.

Yeah I felt that way too while being a geneticist.

Though I like the idea of a job shared between departments and medical gets two.

It can create moments like the RD blowing hid lid because I told him that if he wanted some powers then all he had to do was sign the already made forms.

Priceless to watch the salt and compliance when I have to shove a stamped CC letter in his face.

I'm thinking of maybe writing up a small guide that lists off some of Da Rules not commonly known, used, or abused as I find them.

To the best of my knowledge, the RD, not the CMO, is in charge of genetic research, including authorizing (or not) the distribution of powers. Conversely, the CMO is in charge of cloning. The wiki is inconsistent on this point, but whenever I have asked for clarification, this is what I have been told.

I play RD a fair bit. Here's how I handle genetics when I am RD:

• Make sure they get a medibot at roundstart to treat toxin damage and ensure faster research.

• Make sure their equipment is upgraded when we get maxed R&D and bluespace RPED. Especially make sure their cloner is upgraded to enable autoprocess, and that if medical is completely clueless, at least genetics can get synthmeat from science so people can be cloned. Also, prescan myself and yell at all other heads to prescan themselves too.

Ask for xray/leap when it is available (so useful, you'd be crazy not to).

Tell them exactly who they can give powers to (usually sec/command only). If I have reason to not trust the genetecists I will list the specific powers they may distribute to sec/command (usually leap/xray). If I trust them, I will assume they know that giving out, for example, incindiary mitochondria, morph, etc are terrible ideas.

If they hand out powers against my orders, I will have them demoted back to assistant. This includes confiscation of all their genetics gear, SEs and science radio key, as well as giving them a shot of mutadone. I won't try to arrest them myself (not RD's job, really) but I will pester sec to do it until they do it.

If I notice they are breaking walls with hulk, hitting people with TK'ed objects, or otherwise being a pain with their powers, I will make a mutadone Rapid Syringe Gun or two for sec, along with explicit approval to strip powers from anyone misusing them, and a statement that if they catch any genetecist doing so they should ask me whether I want them demoted for it, because the answer is probably yes.

If they tell me powers are ready, I will make an announcement to sec/command to come over and get them.

To the best of my knowledge, the RD, not the CMO, is in charge of genetic research, including authorizing (or not) the distribution of powers. Conversely, the CMO is in charge of cloning. The wiki is inconsistent on this point, but whenever I have asked for clarification, this is what I have been told.

While yes, RD is in charge of the research part of genetics, they serve plenty of purposes in fixing a persons condition that other whys can't be fixed through normal doctoring. I've seen plenty of doctors freak out as to why they can't fix this person when it is a genetic issue and don't recognize it or don't have mutadone.

It makes much more sense to require authorization from the CMO in terms of genetically modifying a crew member (either through shots or shoved in the machine) due to the dangers involved and, well, they are doctors.

Lore wise, who better to know weather or not this person can physically and mentally undergo such treatments? Supposedly (half the time) doctors knows whats best for someone. I know that medical records at most serve two purposes mechanically but it means more to the setting and IC.

Hell, I am even thinking it is against SoP for a geneticist to inject themselves without consulting either RD/CMO but I can't remember where I read that (probably in one of the many guides).

It'd be like science testing out various chemical grenades on a crew member instead of a monkey.

If I get a FAX from CC that means it is from an admin, right? That seems to me the SoP is legit.

Don't admins have a list of SoP that they could share in a post?

In an effort to create a centralized SOP, the following thread has been created:

http://www.nanotrasen.se/forum/viewtopi ... =43&t=6908

Yes, it's official. Discuss all things there, and soon enough we'll have ourselves a proper Centralized SOP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use