Remove the ability to put an MMI into an IPC body.

FlattestGuitar

As the title suggests - it's called an Integrated POSITRONIC Chassis.

An MMI shouldn't have the capability to interface with an IPC body, so that feature should be removed lore-wise. (at least that's what the minichat is ranting about right now)

Coding difficulty: I think just running a quick check if it's an MMI and giving a message if it is should be enough, but I can't BYOND, so *shrug

It's a small change that will get NTSAM and his followers (me) a bunch of people (because I'm a caustic person) less upset about synthetic not-masterrace being a thing.

We here at the conservative IPC movement take offense to that statement. You will now be eviscerated.

Who would be the Donald Trump of the conservative IPCs?

Also I have no problem with this.

This would be a neat feature - if IPCs were able to be entirely assembled in robotics, which I doubt will ever happen. So yeah, I'm in favour of removing this, as there shouldn't be any situations where this should happen anyway, as it involves hijacking an IPC's body anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Except you basically rob a player of their body entirely. 100% of the time, unless the IPC was borged.

Keep in mind you can't make IPC monkey-humans, it'd be very rare to get an IPC body without being a cuck.

It's a bug, for one.

There are many better options for that brain that are better suited, such as a humanoid body, cyborg, or AI, for another.

And for a third, like Heretic stated, you have to hijack an IPCs body. Of which there is literally zero situations I can think of off the top of my head where this would be permittable/ allowed (sans hijack, I suppose.).

I'm going back to sleep now, but I think we should, again, take a step back and not think on this too seriously. It's a bug, and should probably be removed. Mostly all there is to it.

If it's a bug then there's no reason NOT to snuff it out, really.

PLUS I know, much to my annoyance, Paradise has a "Don't circumvent the Karma Shop for races an stuff" Rule. And plonking your meat brain into an IPC is a method of circumventing that, so for consistencies sake it prolly should be axed anyway.

It's a bug, for one.

This, unlike the sticking the human head on an IPC torso glitch, is NOT a bug - the surgery exists, and is generalized to handle insertion of both positronic brains and Man-Machine interfaces - the MMI working in there is intended behavior, and unlike the multibrain bug, is wholly reversable, by doing the exact same thing to the rebrained IPC.

Finally, to actually insert yourself into an IPC's body, you need at least one accomplice; someone to insert you as an MMI, since you won't have arms - and generally, you're going to get in trouble anyways if you unconsentingly deactivate an IPC, or anyone else of course, and so you'll probably need the IPC's consent to proceed as well (which I myself, have provided before!)

Anyways, it's something that happens rarely, due to the combination of factors that need to come together for it to happen, and if things go south can be as easily reversed as it was caused, so I fail to see the issue.

Why not just give IPCs with MMIs in them like tons of irreversible brain damage so they're legally retarded?

I mean, they'd probably get a square brain hole thing, wouldn't they? Being an "integrated positronic"-y robot? And it's kinda hard to fit a circle into a square, you know.

I'm still heavily against this feature/whatever it is, no traitor objectives say anything about swapping anyone's species and if you want to be a synthetic without starting as an IPC you can play a fucking borg - A synthetic that has a body that can be produced and not stolen and a job that requires no karma to unlock.

One of you reasons this is shitty is that you can't make an IPC torso, so you literally need to use a corpse, which shouldn't ever have to happen.

I'd like to toss out a bone in favor of this staying, just for the sake of debate. I play roboticist Mechatronic Engineer quite often, and so occassionally, when people DO have half a brain and send you an IPC chassis to repair, either the brain was stripped out entirely (if a tator had to steal it) or he went SSD before being found/during the repair process. In this case, I believe removing the SSD brain from the chassis (if that is the case) and putting in a new one that was involuntarily removed from its body is perfectly valid. The process takes sufficiently long that if they want to return, they should be able to before I close the hatch on the other brain and send it on its way, and if the brain is missing, I see no reason to hold the body in storage like a skeleton in the closet, hoping beyond hope it is found.

At least make the brain change the fucking chassis name or something.

This will probably not happen considering that's probably a lot of unneeded snowflake code but god.

I don't want someone normally nice and cool to come off a cuckbag griefer for the rest of their RP life because Mr. I'mtoogoodtobuyIPCsIhavetoplaythemmid-roundXD wants to screw shit up in their body, with THEIR name.

I've seen this happen with organic brain swaps. It's a shitty mechanic shittily thought out.

Before you tell me to ahelp that shit it doesn't matter, people will still be wary of them and then they'll be screwed out of an IC friendship.

Still want MMIs to stay out of IPC chassises, they ARE NOT borgs. They are a species.

I also sort of lend myself to the opinion that MMIs should be penalized for existing in an IPC. Either brain damage, or being unable to be secured in the holding for brains (and thus could just pop out helplessly from brute damage to the upper body) or something, but the mechanic (such that it is) is rather interesting, though the odds of being able to steal an IPC body...? You can't drug them to sleep, if you attack them, you're either an antag or breaking server rules, etc.. The only forseeable abuse of the mechanic is receiving a dead IPC and ripping the brain out before fixing it up, then shoving someone else in while you borg it or something.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use