Additional Means to Open Locked Containers (Crates, Lockers)

unmovedmover

As it stands, locked containers such as crates, lockers, lock-boxes, and safes present a nearly insurmountable barrier. With the exception of shooting locked crates open, there is no method known to me of unlocking these containers other than with the appropriate ID access.

My concern for this difficulty is less of a balancing one, and more of a realism/RP one. A metal locker, in real life, would fail against the persistent swinging of a fire-axe, for instance.

My suggestions:

1) Brute force

Attacking locked containers with weapons such as fire axes, energy swords, etc. should open them. The "health" values of the containers could be adjusted to balance this. Additionally, the process should be quite noisy (e.g. as loud as attacking a grille).

2) Pry/Cut

Tools such as crowbars and mining drills should be able to pry or cut open locked containers. The time required to pry/cut the container open could be adjusted to balance this. Some containers may be too strong to pry open, such as metal cargo crates. As I imagine it, prying/cutting would be a quieter method than brute force, but it would take longer.

Edited by Guest

Emitters are an effective method of opening locked lockers and crates, if only they worked on lock boxes, another effective method of opening locked containers is mech drills ( or just about anything else)

the thing is people feel that people shouldn't be able to get things if they aren't Antag, or an authorized job (security, Heads, ect)

I feel that people should have a way to open lock boxes in an emergency, maybe an option to apply armory access to all crew that could be put in effect. (blob rounds)

off topic

as far as weaponized mechs go, I'd say remove the need for putting tracking beacons, make them spawn with them, that way RD can shut them down on a whim.

as far as weaponized mechs go, I'd say remove the need for putting tracking beacons, make them spawn with them, that way RD can shut them down on a whim.

That should be the default I say and then make it so you can remove the tracking beacon. Don't even make it take up an equipment space either if it doesn't already

Oh my gosh, we just had a semi-massive debate about lockboxing Robotics and R&D and now we're going to make more ways to open said lockboxes? I don't even know if anything was lockboxed, I do know this will be shot down

Haven't read any of this debate. I assure you that my post has nothing to do with it. The thrust of my suggestion comes from a concern for realism/simulation in the design of the game. It seems absurd to me that lockers, crates, etc. are the impenetrable fortresses that they are.

the thing is people feel that people shouldn't be able to get things if they aren't Antag, or an authorized job (security, Heads, ect)

Yes. I'd say - let it be possible for lockers to explode in giant explosions, but that's it. To have any semblance of reality, please. (If they do not explode already)

But then again we'd have random high-priority shit scattered around... I guess that's very bad.

If you're not an antag, and you really want to get into something locked, there's always a way.

EMPs for instance, which anyone can make with the right ingredients, the aforementioned emitters, stealing the bartender's shotgun and nicking some lethal shells from cargo, getting lucky with a small explosion etc.

It'd be nice to a couple more ways of getting in though, but it certainly shouldn't be easy.

If crowbars could open locked lockers and crates there would be no reason to lock them in the first place

In my conception of it, prying/cutting open locked containers would be a laborious process, taking a great deal of time (i.e. several minutes). In addition, sound effects could be used to telegraph the thief's location to everyone nearby. The risk encumbered by an antag prying/cutting open locked containers would be much greater than if they opened them with the appropriate access.

Why not a method to hack the lock?

Or has the idea of 'lockpicking' been utterly eradicated in the year 2555.

That means it takes insulated gloves and multi-tool/Wirecutters. Make it like cameras, so booping the wire sets off alarms (We do have that new 'Burglar Alarm' Category after all.)

They really should be. The only use is to stop civvies from stealing shit from science.

Um, no.

They're there to stop science from being the utlimate powergaming and validhunting jerks that outclass and outpower literally everyone on the entire station.

We had no lockboxes at one point; 90% of science ended up with stun revolvers literally 10 minutes into the round.

They really should be. The only use is to stop civvies from stealing shit from science.

Back when they weren't in lockboxes, I remember having to gun down scientists quite often, because they'd make guns, go around the station, aim them at people while either trying to pull some big self antagging shit or validhunting, and then attack me when I intervened. [spoiler2]oh and don't even get me started about fucking power armor. fuck that[/spoiler2].

[spoiler2]oh and don't even get me started about fucking power armor. fuck that[/spoiler2].

you mean the totally balanced armor that had these armor stats?

melee = 90, bullet = 70, laser = 60,energy = 40, bomb = 75, bio = 75, rad = 75

It also gave you -4 slowdown (that's twice as fast as meth) with the servos, was unremovable, and acted as a spacesuit.

combined with a security or syndicate jumpsuit you were LITERALLY immune to melee damage.

[spoiler2]oh and don't even get me started about fucking power armor. fuck that[/spoiler2].

It also gave you -4 slowdown (that's twice as fast as meth) with the servos, was unremovable, and acted as a spacesuit.

combined with a security or syndicate jumpsuit you were LITERALLY immune to melee damage.

I still have nightmares.

Who thought that was even a good idea in the first place.

I still have nightmares.

Who thought that was even a good idea in the first place.

Ponies was the one that implemented them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use