Remove robotics' access to RnD

Chicken12341

I think that Roboticists should not have access to RnD anymore seeing as they only go in there, cram things into the DA, and get in the way. Also, I think that having them walk in and trying to coerce scientists into using their parts (except for the wormhole generator) is kind of power-gamey and kind of defeats the purpose of playing research. I think that robotics items should be reserved for emergencies seeing as they waste more resources (however I don't think as a rule this is enforceable at all, I just think that there is no reason for them to be in RnD)

Roboticists can no longer use the console as I understand it. Access to R&D seems reasonable to me, though I've not played science in a while so I'm not sure what the current atmosphere of the department is.

Edited by Guest

Well from all of the rounds I've played over the past few weeks (while it hasn't been a lot) most roboticists just come in and start cramming things into the DA

If robotics doesn't do that, the scientists do.

Syringe guns + tasers are very popular ways to boost science.

Well from all of the rounds I've played over the past few weeks (while it hasn't been a lot) most roboticists just come in and start cramming things into the DA

Yeah I think you're right, but when I play research I personally like to do it Au natural and without Robotics aid (except for wormhole) and I just hate when robotics runs in with armfulls of stuff ruining the fun

Yeah I think you're right, but when I play research I personally like to do it Au natural and without Robotics aid (except for wormhole) and I just hate when robotics runs in with armfulls of stuff ruining the fun

Good point...

It takes ONE minute at most to give R&D a big boost, while also allowing robotics to build mech circuits, via things built from robotics that take LESS then 40 seconds.

Compared to "Au naturel", it's insanly faster.

It takes ONE minute at most to give R&D a big boost, while also allowing robotics to build mech circuits, via things built from robotics that take LESS then 40 seconds.

Compared to "Au natural", it's insanely faster.

This is a good point. Though I'd say one minute at most is being more than gracious with time.

Toboticists can no longer use the console as I understand it. Access to R&D seems reasonable to me, though I've not played science in a while so I'm not sure what the current atmosphere of the department is.

Do they not have access? I was Botanist and snuck into R&D and was able to use the console to make hydro tray parts. I'd imagine they could use it if I could.

It's kind of an interesting problem. On the one hand they are Robotics and kind of the unwanted crack baby of Engineering and Science. They should be restricted to their area.

On the other hand, R&D tend to be assholes (normally when I go to them) and on the rare case they don't do their job then someone else should. I think the Roboticist would be that next in command when it comes to sciencing. [spoiler2]because if the Scientists are doing jackshit then you have to wonder what the RD is doing[/spoiler2]

My whole point here is that while the help from robotics is good, it defeats the purpose of actually doing research for those who actuallywant to do it. That's what I dislike. I just think that roboticists shouldn't have access to it because they are then entitled to cramming shit into the DA

The problem is sometimes, the roboticist has to do research, since all of science has gone somewhere,

Or

roboticist needs parts for mechs

Or

roboticist needs to sync the servers...

Look I can understand RND getting upset at a roboticist is doing something with their shit, but RND shouldn't be job locked

RND exists in the gateway, RND can be set up by engineering in their spare room for part production,

RND isn't science exclusive, its just science prepared.

It's a bug - the R&D console doesn't check for access properly. Set to be fixed next patch.

nooooooo. everyone should have access to the console. thats why there are door restrictions. to prevent everyone from walking in and use it. thats why you can't use medical-vendors in medbay because everyone once in a while enters that. but if someone going into RnD security is called immediately.

remove door acces is fine. there is a window on the inside for the researcher to give out items to robotics.

RnD is full of "joblocks" or how i prefer to call it teamplay

if Mining isnt working properly, RnD and Robotics run out of meterials really fast. (way to often)

if Scinece level are at 2 and 3 after 20 minutes robotics loose their shit. (happend to me)

if the Scientist who wants to cheat the slow progress afk Robotics for parts and they dont hand them out (happend to me) scientist gets angry. [spoiler2]HULK SMASH[/spoiler2]

nothing should be able to do a one man show, if your station crew is stupid, you either blend in or go crazy over it.

(except antagonist)

if the Scientist who wants to cheat the slow progress afk Robotics for parts and they dont hand them out (happend to me) scientist gets angry.

Syringe guns aren't the fastest or even most efficient way.

Micro manipulator, Analyzer, Capacitor, Hi-Cap Cell, Nanopaste (x3), Pico Manip (Or Super Matterbin),

Stop to upgrade the lathe and circuit printer (3 Picos and 3 Supers)

Health Analyzer, Flamethrower, PACMAN Board (x2), Reagent Scanner, MMI, High Power Microlaser, Super Cell, Super PAC board, MrsPAC board, Adv Reagent Scanner, Bluespace Crystal or Wormhole Generator, Telepad or Telestation board, Teleporter hub, Phaisc Scanner or Ultra High Power Microlaser, Floral Board (from Research Outpost) or Femto Manip or Super Matter bin.

Sync. Maxed. With the exception of 4 of these items (PACMANs, Nanopaste, Wormhole/Bluespace cyrstal, Xenofloral board) all of these can be found or made in RnD. It's not that hard of job, but it never seems to get done, despite the fact that it can easily be completed before 12:30.

Back on topic, the only thing I'm worried about with Robotics not having access is low pop rounds, or it some how getting screwed up in the code so Robotics can't access their own Robotics RnD console, and thus unable to sync their machines or print circuits. Though, giving Robotics or the RD an option on their own machines to force sync all machines to the network would be a rather convient feature, as lots of science teams seem unaware that Syncing is required for maxing out research.

all this will do is make 1 in 3 rounds, a roboticist will beg hop for rnd access because no RND

and every round a roboticist will stun cuff a scientist and force them to make a supercapacitor and scanning unit for the durand

Edited by Guest

I think people should have to do their friggn jobs and we should not just chance access so someone can collect everything and do everything they need for their job.

Science has four different subdepartments.

RnD might not be something they want to do/ know how to do.

Sync. Maxed. With the exception of 4 of these items (PACMANs, Nanopaste, Wormhole/Bluespace cyrstal, Xenofloral board) all of these can be found or made in RnD. It's not that hard of job, but it never seems to get done, despite the fact that it can easily be completed before 12:30.

Actually, getting Nanopaste and PACMAN boards from the protolathe and circuit printer are easy, I only print out circuits after I've upgraded the machines to pico manips and super matter bins, this way I don't waste acid.

science subdepartments

-bomb testing

-chemical testing

-experimentor hell

-xenobiology

-researchoutpost botany

And all of those should come after RnD, personally.

Medical is made infinitely less stressful when sleepers are properly upgraded, cloning is much less of a pain in everyone's ass when the Pod is upgraded or when husks an shit can be cloned.

Robotics -requires- it to make most their mechs, because the QM gets understandably annoyed having to waste supply points to order mech circuitry because the entire science department is off touching themselves with some sort of proto-doodad or feeding themselves to slimes (Which now ALSO benefits from RnD gun Temperature Gun goodness.).

It's part of the job. Part of it that other people kinda rely on. You can't be an Engineer job and just go "EHH FUCK THE SING AND SOLARS I WANNA GO BUIIIIIIIIIIIILD" without getting called out on it, and science should be no different. Havin' a giggle in Xeno or chems or whatever is A-okay. AFTER you do the -important- part of the job first, unless someone else is already taking care of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use