DISCUSSION THREAD FOR ART CONTEST

ZomgPonies

Do not post submissions here.

This is to discuss submissions, or the contest in general.

Keep it civil and on-topic.

Due to the cash nature of the contest, this thread will be heavily moderated to prevent drama.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tbh I don't think we have really enough people to have cash prizes for the lobby work, we'd probably be looking at guaranteed one person maybe fos could be someone else but yeah the one person who actually can art winning first, then second and third being some assorted random noones

unless it's some genuinely really good artists but they're only coming for the cash

cash is as much a motivation as any

in faaaact

if word of this gets out

we'd prooobably have some outsider winning first or second

that´s a lotta money going out for prices

yeah

we'd probably be able to attract some genuine talent from da or somethin' if that's the goal

as with all IRC chats, take with a shaker of pepper but yeah

I see that the now-first post is relevant to my earlier post (which had to be deleted) regarding the three prizes. The issue is: we've got three prizes for what seems to be a competition of half a dozen at most.

Unless we promote this cause on Reddit and other SS13 communities, I feel like it will go to waste.

Unless we promote this cause on Reddit and other SS13 communities, I feel like it will go to waste.

Done.

I don't mind non-para people getting the dollars, as long as we get good lobby screens.

I have actually been working on something the past few days, just had to take a break in order to settle in some family friends that are moving down here and need a place to stay until they can manage to find a nice place close by and a new job for the father of the family. I've posted it in OOC here and there, so you all have probably seen this: http://prntscr.com/74uxfa

To uphold the ancient tradition of a clown decorating the paradise intro screen, I present to you a 30 minute splash of a clown on a stereotypical shakedown of the station and what he presumes is a class act. (Something feels off about the LENGTH of it, so I may do a touchup later extending it.)

And yes, as a retired admin I think I qualify as a non-judge and therefore am allowed to fill this thread with my awful art.

I also want to thank everyone for setting up a retirement fund for me, as I walk away with this prize.

I humbly request some ideas for the different races we see in Paradise station. If there are particularly noteworthy people I would like their descriptions, but I will try to avoid anything that would make them uniquely identifiable. (Which means I will probably have to make a version with admins in it and one without to prevent biases and more hate-mongering toward certain admin) My main reason for this is I feel the people we play with on this station are as much of a reason to play as the station itself.

Race: Atmosian

What it looks like:

Something inside an atmos hardsuit.

Sorry if I didn't clarify enough. I meant characters on the station of the available playable races in order to represent the spirit/nature of paradise station. I will otherwise just draw "generics" or whatever comes out of random character generation.

Well Kikiya is a notable Vox. Skrell, kidan, and unathi? Find one and that's probably the notable one. Slime people are Squishy, Squishkisha Sirus, Zolt Snekral, Jack Price, and a few others. Greys are Michael Valentine, Reaver, and a few others. IPCs are Bones, IPAV, Snow, and some others (No, I'm not going to put myself on this list because screw self glorification). Tajarans are Hawke Boetirson, Kei Shen, Dar'Konr, and a few others. Dionea? No clue.

Kikiya- A female Vox, if you can even have female Vox, that wears a witch hat and witch robe, usually working in cargo sector using animal crates as nests.

Squishy- A (grey now?) slime who has married most of the females on the server, he's fairly ridiculous sometimes, and he goes crazy often. He is not above self harming.

Squishkisha Sirus- A pink, female slime who works in medbay and often has to deal with incredibly incompetent people. Usually there is a lot of either sarcasm or boredom in their voice when they speak.

Zolt Snekral- A blue slime (male) janitor, who's competent and often ends up doing other jobs by the end of the shift.

Jack Price- Usually working in the Research Division, Jack Price uses a ton of scientific stuff to go and dick around. In the event he's and antag or is put against antags, he usually, if not always, makes it either comedic or succeeds in beating the crap/completing the crap out of his objectives.

Michael Valentine- A syndicate recruiter (male). He often plays as a CMO and has a knack for making people/limbs/everything else disappear.

Reaver- Often working as a chemist/medical doctor, Reaver (male) is a fairly hardworking practitioner. Although I don't know him personally, he does quite a bit when I see him around.

Bones- An IPC that works all over the place. Usually very competent and no-nonsense when it comes to work. You could stick him anywhere.

IPAV- He shares a comedic history with Hawke involving Hawke riding an Unsaddled space bear and probable ending up dead. He appears in pAI form often, but when he works, he does a fairly good job in cargo/robotics.

Snow- She works in command positions with efficiency and has a white chassis. Fairly good personality.

Hawke- A filthy, filthy brown furred tajaran. If I had to guess it wasn't always brown. He's completely ridiculous, often talking to inanimate objects and small animals that cannot speak. Tom is a favorite, but crabs can suffice. If he's the NT Rep, you know his office is filled with all manner of eldritch mumbo jumbo, that or his supply of hallucinogenic drugs and bees. Works anywhere, good atmos tech.

Kei Shen- An orange furred male tajaran. He works in sec or as a blueshield and he is known to feast on the tears of the unhappy crew. He's fairly good at his job, but given the nature of security roles, everybody in them is shit, even the blueshield who is not actually security.

Dar'Konr- A fairly serious, hardworking security member. He has brown fur with dark brown streaks on his face and I don't know much else to write about him.

Humans- Pick and choose a human you've heard about, be it Alissa Bennet, Bulma Briefs, Logan Ghost, James Walker, Jason Hawke, Alice Peirson II, Bryce Riker, Athena Castile, Jannete Green, Hannah Snow, Ansari Lowerth, Cole Laurenzi, Mikhail Vonel, Space Station (yes, we had a guy with the ckey of whatisthisIdon'teven named space station who thought he had to destroy APCs to win.) and I'll be damned if I list them all. Pick one that stands out to you and draw them. As for me, if other people want to add Slade to the list just do it yourself. I'm not writing anything but my looks, and that's just my forum avatar anyhow... albeit with an old man's suit and jackboots on top of the mask, hat, and coat pictured.

I am against using specific recognizable player characters in this contest. This isn't a popularity contest, and I don't want to give the impression that we favor established players.

I am against using specific recognizable player characters in this contest. This isn't a popularity contest, and I don't want to give the impression that we favor established players.

word-logo.png

A scene from the station would be better. Or a symbol would be great too. Personally I would choose plasma fire and put in the back Paradise engraved on the wall, in an ironic manner, I just don't have the talent to do it, but I'll leave it here as an idea.

It's why I wanted descriptions without uniquely identifiable features. I'm seeking flair rather than "Yeah this is obviously blah blah". Using completely generics may not be ideal, which is why I felt using randoms would also be an appropriate alternative.

I was originally actually wanted to put in a few people I knew, but realized that a innocent call out could also result in making the individual popular/infamous and at that rate, ruin the game for those individuals. It's also why I decided that I would make an actual entry, then have one that I wanted to make with people i had fun playing with as a separate non-entry-just-for-fun piece, best of both worlds.

You can always draw Bryce better, it shouldn't be that hard to do....

Did I mention yet I think Bryce should atleast get a tiny cameo on the lobby screen?

Still noone with me?

Gave up on my old idea, couldn't think of what else to put in a fight-club reference. soo...

http://gyazo.com/b039252918df5b527b93fc9204d01754

This is pretty rough, did this in a few minutes of jotting down an idea.

Some clarification- no clown will not be buff. no singulaRARITY is not going to be in final version. I'll keep playing around with ideas. not really sure what to really fit in other than clown being chased by the entire security force. I might just do a environmental speed paint without much action instead.