Sleep

Fursamie

Like Baystation, the ENTIRE screen should be covered with black so you don't know HOW you got in maint, stripped naked and left with a note saying "Shouldn't have fucking taken my insulated gloves you rotten piece of shit." Because with the little hole, a good mouse placing and knowledge of the map, along with your inventory being visible, it makes it super easy to determine where you're going and why you're going. I saw someone who was trying to kidnap me and absorb me but didn't because security was walking around BECAUSE of the little hole.

• explodyparrot 1

So, you were about to be absorbed, and killed by a changeling, you were asleep, but because of the sight granted to you, security was walking around and able to find you? I am not following your logic.

No, BECAUSE of the sight I was granted, I was able to not get absorbed because I saw two patrol buddies walking over  and talking to the guy. I shouldn't have even known security was coming over, and if I was a metagamer if I hovered over the guy's sprite with my mouse, once I regained consciousness I could've screamed "[SO AND SO] IS A CHANGELING!!!" That's what I mean, sorry.

1 minute ago, Biffthegreat said:

Perhaps he heard the rarely welcome sound of jackboots?

This too. Red uniform + jackboots + prayer they haven't been cloned and thralled.

Well, ya kinda said it yourself- if you used that knowledge, it would have been metagaming.

I'd say that little circle of vision exists to provide players who are asleep for an extended time (surgery, etc) a view into the game, so they don't get bored. A nice medium between 'your character is knocked out so you can't see anything no matter what' and letting the whole screen be visible. There's always quality control, bringing the hammer down on people who metagame stuff they see while they were supposed to be knocked out, if that's the problem, and besides, who's going to believe a dude who springs up out of a sound sleep and yells "HEY, I SAW (XYZ) JUST NOW!"

Is your concern the immersion quality? Hearing stuff and seeing that little circle? Perhaps think of it as the way you slip in and out of sleep, and catch little glimpses of what's around you, but don't really recall it afterwards? Really, I just see it as being for the player's sake, but that could be your IC inbetween, or something of the sort

• Like 2

Not really. It would be better if occasionally, it blinked a view of what was going on. It would be way better. I remember the first time I went into cyro into Bay and was genuinely scared at the fact that I didn't know what was going on. Being bored, well.. You can't not be bored during surgery. It's fun or whatever for the other person, but for ME as the person undergoing it? It would be better if the screen was just black.

Just close your eyes when you character is blind/sleeping. Think of how immersed you will be.

If this did happen it would make it so the rare/never used blind disability will be used even less.(Why don't you spawn with a fucking cane?)

Edited by Benjaminfallout
  • Like 1

Closing my eyes? There's a REASON why I'm playing a 2d pixel game which it's complexity goes over even pistol aim! Begone heretic.

But seriously, disabilities are disabilities for a reason. If someone's bored enough to try being mute/blind, they wouldn't get permission to say "hey" and "bye" when mute, so why would they get a little sight for navigating the station when blind? Doesn't make sense.

Excuse me, being blind doesnt remove your arms. How are you supposed to interact with objects with full black screen? 

Blind people can use the microwave and the computer. The latter usually having special software.

The small little circle I've always seen as not from your sense of sight but your sense of touch. As SS13 only plays on two senses (Sight and Sound) it needs to use them to imitate the other three senses as well (Smell, Taste, Touch). A blind person's screen being completely black would not be able to properly imitate being able to feel their way around as a blind person can, as you do not have the sense of touch. Being able to see that you're 'dragged' in a direction is something you're able to do with your eyes closed, as well as being able to smell the more stuffy air of a maintenance hall compared to the normal halls.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fursamie said:

they wouldn't get permission to say "hey" and "bye" when mute, so why would they get a little sight for navigating the station when blind? Doesn't make sense.

Well for one more than one way of communicating exists on the station.

Paper, PDA Messaging, PDA Notes, Chat rooms on computers, General motions using "Me" and Hell even floor and crayons. All of this also goes for being deaf as well.

Now let's go over all the alternative ways of seeing.

Eyes and... just eyes.

Absolutely no one would start with the blind disability other than to see what it was like for a round or two if the screen was completely black. You already can't read or right papers, use your PDA, see the "Me" acting thing, know if someone four tiles away from you, and use any and all consoles. (A few I'd need to confirm such as the PDA.)

I'd also like to say it's a video game and we need to make compromises for both gameplay and the players enjoyment.

If you want to be completely blind so badly just open you IC note tab and slap it over your character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fursamie said:

bored enough to try being mute/blind

That and I have made and seen plenty of characters that use disabilities for roleplaying and not just since they're bored.

2 minutes ago, Benjaminfallout said:

Well for one more than one way of communicating exists on the station.

Paper, PDA Messaging, PDA Notes, Chat rooms on computers, General motions using "Me" and Hell even floor and crayons. All of this also goes for being deaf as well.

Now let's go over all the alternative ways of seeing.

Eyes and... just eyes.

Absolutely no one would start with the blind disability other than to see what it was like for a round or two if the screen was completely black. You already can't read or right papers, use your PDA, see the "Me" acting thing, know if someone four tiles away from you, and use any and all consoles. (A few I'd need to confirm such as the PDA.)

I'd also like to say it's a video game and we need to make compromises for both gameplay and the players enjoyment.

If you want to be completely blind so badly just open you IC note tab and slap it over your character.

I do believe we've gone a little off topic. If players want to be blind, I guess this would make sense, but sleeping should not let you see anything. Period. Closing my eyes and then praying I open it at the same time I wake up isn't really gonna cut it.

32 minutes ago, Chance Meyers said:

Blind people can use the microwave and the computer. The latter usually having special software.

The small little circle I've always seen as not from your sense of sight but your sense of touch. As SS13 only plays on two senses (Sight and Sound) it needs to use them to imitate the other three senses as well (Smell, Taste, Touch). A blind person's screen being completely black would not be able to properly imitate being able to feel their way around as a blind person can, as you do not have the sense of touch. Being able to see that you're 'dragged' in a direction is something you're able to do with your eyes closed, as well as being able to smell the more stuffy air of a maintenance hall compared to the normal halls.

You have a point, but on my part that was a bad analogy. What I meant was being asleep should cover the whole screen since you can't smell, touch(you do but you can't actually process it while sleeping unless it's bad pain), sight, hear (slightly), and taste. And it's a very powerful tool for metagamers, and adding a cosmetic black screen wouldn't do much harm.

3 minutes ago, Benjaminfallout said:

That and I have made and seen plenty of characters that use disabilities for roleplaying and not just since they're bored.

It's just my opinion, but to ME, unless you're bored you wouldn't go out of your way to roleplay a disability that IC, mechanically and OOC wise cripple you.

Easy solution? Would you also suggest people cant see anything as a ghost? Because if someone is a ghost and gets cloned they could in theory use meta knowledge gained as a ghost...which again...would be breaking the rules...

This game would not be nearly as interesting to a large chunk of the playerbase if you couldn't watch what was happening when you are dead. 

If we "fixed" every single feature that people were capable of abusing we would have to remove an absurd amount of content from the game and it would be extremely vanilla, most likely unplayably boring. The features that can be abused is kept in check by the community, the admins, and the rules.

• Like 1

Ghosts using meta =/= sleeping and using meta. With sleeping, there IS a solution since there's really no need to know what's going on, ergo SLEEPING. Ghosts need to see because since they're dead it's the most entertaining thing. I'm not saying that you should "fix" every single thing people could abuse, I'm saying there's ONE certain thing that would be better off a certain way, and this is just a supporting point.

side note: kidnapping would be way more fun if you couldn't see anything. even being the kidnapee!

I really don't think we have a major or even minor problem with people obtaining useful meta knowledge while they sleep. Also if you knew who was attacking you before falling unconcious there is no rule against you screaming "SO AND SO ATTACKED ME" when waking up. Even if you are killed by them and cloned. So long as you saw who they were before dying. Not the best sport but its allowed. Just like kidnapping can be fun if the victim plays along instead of screaming "HELP SCI MAINT" on comms immediately. As with most things in this game, it doesn't require game mechanics to make it better, how people PLAY can make it better. Thats what makes Spess so special.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, the 3D ultra realistic graphics make spessmens better. Seriously though, a cosmetic black screen to me would be cool. Imagine undergoing surgery then waking up in maint cuffed to a chair with duct tape covering your mouth while 3 guys in bacaclavas get ready to murder you? That’s fucking neat to me, but I guess other people don’t like it. ??

• 2 weeks later...

What if sleeping players got sent into a dream state?

Put up a black and white filter over the screen and put them in control of a generic character in a big room full of stuff they can mess with. Let them see other sleeping "souls" in the room with them, but have them unable to talk.
Kinda like being a cult shade except without the culty stuff, and being sent somewhere else until you wake up.

Edited by Pckables
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use