Give personal AI units a flashlight module,

Spacemanspark

Mostly self explanatory. I'd LOVE to see this, and I'm sure most that play pAIs will agree.

A small, light green light for 5 or so RAM points.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, necaladun said:

I see no reason why not? Can anyone think of one?

Because spark want it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • fastparrot 1

I would honestly love this. If shadowling rounds are a balance issue, why not just give slings the ability to veil their lights the same as any other? If a shadowling can turn off a flashlgiht, why is a shitty LED on a PAI a problem?

Worried the PAI will spam flick the light to avoid this? Give it a cooldown. Maybe make the shadowling's veil permanantly short it out. Idk but there's not really any balance reason to worry about when you think of the code we have to handle light and lighting situations anyway.

49 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

Plus it prolly helps with catching "Poke E Mans"

No but I'm sure you'll find your weekly bingo games go easier when you can see the board, Grandma

• Like 1
  • explodyparrot 1

Honestly, unless we want to give them abilities like opening doors and pulling things to run errands for their master, I think it might make more sense to do away with the software system for them and give them direct access to all the functions of the PDA they're slotted into.

Or, maybe combine the two. Add a program that lets them interfact with the PDA they are in. Maybe even go further than that. Make more items you can slot them into, like glasses, and then you see their HUD*, or an earpiece which both lets the pAI control the microphone and such, talk over it, and grants their master universal translation if the pAI has it active. All of that still requiring the (probably pretty hefty) interface program to function, but still.

Could be pretty neat, or a complete disaster, I'm not too sure what the community wants from pAIs.

*I'm not sure if pAIs have access to security/medical records, but I'm pretty sure they can't set arrest levels with the secHUD. Their master should not have access to these things either.

Edited by Jountax

3 hours ago, Jountax said:

Honestly, unless we want to give them abilities like opening doors and pulling things to run errands for their master, I think it might make more sense to do away with the software system for them and give them direct access to all the functions of the PDA they're slotted into.

Or, maybe combine the two. Add a program that lets them interfact with the PDA they are in. Maybe even go further than that. Make more items you can slot them into, like glasses, and then you see their HUD*, or an earpiece which both lets the pAI control the microphone and such, talk over it, and grants their master universal translation if the pAI has it active. All of that still requiring the (probably pretty hefty) interface program to function, but still.

Could be pretty neat, or a complete disaster, I'm not too sure what the community wants from pAIs.

*I'm not sure if pAIs have access to security/medical records, but I'm pretty sure they can't set arrest levels with the secHUD. Their master should not have access to these things either.

This is all something that should go into its own thread, honestly 

It has neat ideas but this is just a request for a tiny flashlight

14 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

This is all something that should go into its own thread, honestly 

It has neat ideas but this is just a request for a tiny flashlight

Fair enough.

ETA: the reason I made the connection in the first place was that it would give them control of the PDA flashlight, but their mobile form could indeed use one as well even in that case.

Edited by Jountax

(Is it just me or would it be totally cool if a pAI could choose its light color and hence, affect their emitted flashlight color if this becomes a thing?)

As it is now, +1 to the idea, and the shadowling bit is probably something to consider, but not an issue if they get veiled like basically everything but flares and glowshrooms.

I waa thinking that the range would be fairly tiny. Perhaps around the range of the PDA light.

Having it able to choose different colors sounds awesome, too.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:05 AM, Spacemanspark said:

I waa thinking that the range would be fairly tiny. Perhaps around the range of the PDA light.

Having it able to choose different colors sounds awesome, too.

I'd go 1 tile larger then the PDA light personally. Worse then a real flashlight, but better then a PDA that you already have baseline, otherwise picking it up over other software is kind of a dubious choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use