Random character for antags

ZN23X

This has probably been brought up in the past and is probably a pain in the ass code wise, but I figure I'd ask.

Is it possible to make a preference option that makes it so your character can be randomized if you spawn as an antag? Kind of like how you are a completely different person a nuke op? Im literally only asking because I don't like when my snowflake is an antag, but enjoy antagging. Is this something I could ask an admin for at round start? Also asking because anyone who knows my toon KNOWS I only work sec and medbay, so when I randomly spawn as a bartender or engineer, some people will know something is up lol

It's okay if the only response is "suck it up" lol

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 6

I would appreciate this too, I havet this strange mentality of always going stealth on my "snoflek" cause else people will search her more often and all that nonesense. I went loud yesterday cause I had to and it was fun, but I dont want Thali to go loud everytime because that doesnt fit her and its muh snoflek. So uh yeah I totally agree to that if it would be a character option.

• Like 1

This suggestion reminded me of when you could have certain antags set for certain characters, and a part of me misses that. 

And I've been on the same boat with my main guy Zeke not really fitting for antag.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Birdtalon said:

Sure go for it as long as it is a preference you can opt in or out of so it doesn't affect everyone.

Oh yea definitely. I wouldnt want this forced on everyone, just an option.

I'd like this too.  My character is too much of a good person to be an antag, and way to naive to ever pull it off if he was. 

But until this happens, keep in mind you can still go Changeling.  If you spawn as a changeling you aren't playing your character, you're playing a changeling that murdered your character and took their identity before the shift began.  Bonus points for taunting all your friends about how you murdered yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvadableMoxie said:

But until this happens, keep in mind you can still go Changeling.  If you spawn as a changeling you aren't playing your character, you're playing a changeling that murdered your character and took their identity before the shift began. Bonus points for taunting all your friends about how you murdered yourself. 

Yup. I pretty much have every antag where you are someone else by default turned on  I turned on sling yesterday and spawned as an atmos tech and was like "Oh crap, I couldn't even fake this if I wanted to" lol

Edited by ZN23X

1 hour ago, Allfd said:

This is something I can look into after I fix up some of my existing PRs

:x:x:x

39 minutes ago, Purpose2 said:

My only concern is the meta-knowledge that'll come off the back of this.

Knowing who has this enabled, and who you can trust, etc...

One of my reasons for this is because of meta knowledge the other way. Like anyone who is familiar with my character who saw me spawn as a non sec or medbay job would immediately be like "Oh...Tetra must be an antag this round..."

From an IC perspective, sort of like some of the other snowflakes like mine, Tetra never WOULD be an antagonist (aside from a changeling due to the nature of changelings), and some people already know that and trust her. It's part of her character, part of her backstory lol

Edited by ZN23X

I agree it is a meta concern, in so much that I also have a character who if not in command or security is certainly a traitor.

I like this system as it can help people to build defined charachters but still get antagonist.  Which I view as a positive for RP.

• Like 2

Opposite site of the same coin. If I know you get random character names when you're an antagonist, I know that when I see your character as HoP, he has to be legit and not an antag.

If I recall.. as nuke op whatever your char name is always the name for everyone. The only difference being nuke ops are labled nuke ops operative #1-4. Regardless i like the idea.

Think of this though @Purpose2, based on this post alone, you already know I've turned off any antags where I don't spawn as a different person. There are other players who openly admit they never have antags turned on in OOC between rounds, on discord, or on the forums. People could already be using meta knowledge to know that some people aren't antags without the feature I'm suggesting.

Also, unless people are talking about it as mentioned above, nobody is even going to know who has what preferences turned on and off except admins. Did anyone here know which antags I have turned on and off before this post? Most didn't, many still don't because not everyone is reading this.

@ZN23X There is a huge difference between 'could be an antag' and 'definitely not'.

I just don't support this.

(also the I only playing X as Y is said by everyone, all the time)

@Purpose2 I'm just trying to help you see my perspective based on what you are saying.

So you say people already talk about "I only play X as Y" all the time. If someone says they never have antag turned on as a certain character, they are already telling you they definitely are not an antag. There is no could be unless you think they are feeding you false information,  or if they change thier preference without announcing it...which they could also be doing with this randomized character preference turned on or off. 

As things currently are, I could tell you right now I never have vamp turned on with Tetra. You'll then have that meta knowledge. Now, I could then turn vamp on without telling you. If you wanted to rely on your meta knowledge I'd previously given you, you'd beleive what I've told you, you'd never suspect me to be a vampire in a vamp round. Alternately, if you don't beleive me, I could be one, even though I said I wasn't. Theres also a chance I did as I said and left vamp turned off, but you still think I could be because you don't beleive me.

Point being, your meta knowledge, the difference between "definitely not an antag" and "could be an antag" is based on what you want to beleive, not the actual preferences people say they have selected.

Edited by ZN23X

1 hour ago, Purpose2 said:

@ZN23X There is a huge difference between 'could be an antag' and 'definitely not'.

If you think they are 'definitely not' a traitor you might be in for a surprise when it turns out they are a Changeling.  Or mind-slaved by a traitor.  Or thralled by a vampire. Or Wolololol'd by a Chaplain. Or thralled by a shadowling.  Or converted by a Cultist. Or they just decided to change preferences.  Or they got adminbussed.

I really don't think this provides as much concrete knowledge as you are implying it does. 

its implied. 

1 hour ago, EvadableMoxie said:

If you think they are 'definitely not' a traitor you might be in for a surprise when it turns out they are a Changeling.  Or mind-slaved by a traitor.  Or thralled by a vampire. Or Wolololol'd by a Chaplain. Or thralled by a shadowling.  Or converted by a Cultist. Or they just decided to change preferences.  Or they got adminbussed.

I really don't think this provides as much concrete knowledge as you are implying it does. 

23 minutes ago, bigfatbananacyclops said:

Well, it would actually cause some meta knowledge, people would say ''Oh i don't know who this guy, never seen him, must be antag''.

I often see new faces when I jump on.

Of course you have the "regulars" but you also got people who are just trying for the first time, or maybe they already have their name set to random.

But really, who gives a damn if some says they don't have antags on when they play whoever.  Doesn't mean you can't take someone in if they had their grubby hands on the evidence. Knowing they don't have them set shouldn't make you change how you approach their character in game.

And who gives a fuck if they were given a random name and you know they would have this enable, doesn't mean you know what character they are, not until the end and you won't see that name again.

I think Purpose was morso worried about people knowing your named toon ISN'T an antag rather than knowing that randoms are. Like if I say in OOC "I have random characters for antag when I play Tetra" then any time you see Tetra on the station you'll know I'm not an antag. But I already explained why that's irrelevant. Because people already do that even without this feature.

Also wanted to add, playing sec 99% of the time I've noticed a trend of certain players who clearly have all antags set to yes all the time, because they are antags more frequently than others. That's meta knowledge on my end, and I don't use it to make them more suspect than others. I figure out who's the antags based on who's doing what each round and nothing more. Maybe this is also from working sec so much but quite frankly, I don't trust anyone, just the evidence lol 

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use