Gateway Explorer as Karma Role

GunDOS

Righty!

What I propose is this, Gateway Explorer is a ubiquitous thing on paradise. Every shift the Head of Personnel is asked to promote Gateway Explorers. I think we should make this a karma role at say, 25 Karma.

Here's what I think they should have.

• Basic EVA Softsuit.

• Oxygen tank and mask.

Basic medkit.

Handheld radio.

Access to EVA and gateway.

Well, this is what I thought up. Hopefully its no toooo bad an idea.

Edit: Pull request, https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/6431

Edited by Guest

Gateway explorer is already one of the very few things we have for civilians to do on Paradise, and for that reason I don't like the idea of putting it behind and unnecessary karma wall. However may I ask what you are aiming to achieve by doing it?

I was going to put up a PR that makes Gateway Explorer into a real job.

Not a karma-locked job. Just a normal job.

At peak times, we can end up with 50+ civilians. That's nuts!

We need more job slots!

Gateway Explorer is a job:

- That can have several job slots, maybe 3-5.

- Which people already do, and enjoy.

- Which requires no map changes to Cyberiad to make it viable, unlike most other suggestions for new jobs.

Show me ANY other job that can match the points above. I don't think such a job exists.

Given that we need to add more jobs, for their job slots, Gateway Explorer is the #1 most obvious job we should add.

I played HoP the other day and I got 18 people coming to me in series at shift start. A third of them just wanted to be Gateway Explorers.

That's nuts. Its already treated as a real job by many. So, let's make it one.

Here's what I have so far, if you're curious: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... plorer_job

The comments are there to explain it - I'll remove them before I submit the PR.

I was going to put up a PR that makes Gateway Explorer into a real job.

Not a karma-locked job. Just a normal job.

At peak times, we can end up with 50+ civilians. That's nuts!

We need more job slots!

Gateway Explorer is a job:

- That can have several job slots, maybe 3-5.

- Which people already do, and enjoy.

- Which requires no map changes to Cyberiad to make it viable, unlike most other suggestions for new jobs.

Show me ANY other job that can match the points above. I don't think such a job exists.

Given that we need to add more jobs, for their job slots, Gateway Explorer is the #1 most obvious job we should add.

I played HoP the other day and I got 18 people coming to me in series at shift start. A third of them just wanted to be Gateway Explorers.

That's nuts. Its already treated as a real job by many. So, let's make it one.

Here's what I have so far, if you're curious: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... plorer_job

The comments are there to explain it - I'll remove them before I submit the PR.

Agreed on most of this. Only problem is when the Gateway is a beach.

It'd only free up one extra slot, but an easy addition would be the Coroner, take it away as an alt job title for MDs. Make it is own job.

Gateway explorer is already one of the very few things we have for civilians to do on Paradise, and for that reason I don't like the idea of putting it behind and unnecessary karma wall. However may I ask what you are aiming to achieve by doing it?

Nothing I wish to achieve, it's just an interesting thought I had. Although it has been sufficiently re-routed at this point it seems!

We need to re-think every gateway mission save maybe the wild west, which is an actually fun and challenging mission and place to explore. Here are my suggestions:

Xeno-Research facility: Make the xeno nest MUCH bigger or add several additional xeno nests (the one sealed away in the rocks). Randomize the loot inside the xeno nests to drive players mad with desire...

Kitchen-ship: Enclose the ship in a new and massive open space, sealed by admin bricks at the extremeties (simulating it being (crash) landed on a planet), and populate the new terrain space with mobs, obstacles, structures, and loot-stuffs. If possible, this kind of mission would be ideal for some kind of randomization factor where the terrain type (I/E grass, snow, desert, water, etc...), mob types, loot types, )and maybe even boss types?) could be randomized to whatever degree possible to give the illusion that each time the explorers enter this mission, it seems like a brand new planet. It's a kitchen ship after-all, so killing, butchering and cooking the exotic random mobs of an RNG planet would overall fit in as it's niche)

Wizards-place: This place is hard to add to directly, but there are some airlocks on the east side that point to an open space which could be used for the placement of additional content like a series of buildings, turrets, and monsters or even a boss.

Wild West: Leave it as is, it's the only one I really like.

Spooky-Hotel: Make it more spooky by adding a very dark and very ghost/zombie infested terrain surrounding the hotel or off to one side, ideally with more RNG outside in terms of placement and loot type.

Plasma-Research Facility: This is practically a fully functioning station so I really don't know what this mission should be about. If it could share SS13 access (or somehow provide explorers with their own plasma-station-ID-console and an HOP/Captain ID) and have a working telecoms relay then it could be absorbed onto the station and become a part of it if the explorers decide to get everything up and running. If the AI can access cameras there and the doors worked with SS13 access then the crew could come to know it as "the gateway outpost"...

These are the kinds of missions that warrant "exploration" and would keep people coming back, otherwise what you will have is a role where people get their free suit, their free loot, and then transfer out because usually the gateway offers nothing worth investing time in.

You will probably have your wish, Tzo totally cannibalised my thread xD

Not that i have a problem with that, his is a far better idea.

Except it is being gutted and compromised upon by people who don't even play anymore.

You will probably have your wish, Tzo totally cannibalised my thread xD

Not that i have a problem with that, his is a far better idea.

Except it is being gutted and compromised upon by people who don't even play anymore.

Mmmhmm, I still can't deny it's a better idea. It's much worse in my IAA suggestion though.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use