Can we have female characters actually "look" female?

GuardianStriker

No I'm not saying this just for pervish desires okay? I'm just noticing a lot of people are mistaking female characters for males by calling them "he" or "him". Which can get annoying if you think about it.

Especially if your name includes a first name that is not a boy or girl's name.

No I'm not saying this just for pervish desires okay? I'm just noticing a lot of people are mistaking female characters for males by calling them "he" or "him". Which can get annoying if you think about it.

Especially if your name includes a first name that is not a boy or girl's name.

I do the opposite.

I thought Peppy was a guy until someone called Peppy a "feisty girl" and I bothered to actually shift+click them.

Some hairstyles/colours/etc can really help make the gender obvious whereas others not so much.

I think you can also spawn with the female jumpsuits which have boobs, as well.

Why Im thinking Lifeweb now? Maybe because male and female sprites are really different here? But damn, that would make ALOT of work for spriters and coders. They would have to make sprites for every species and every piece of clothes to make it work.

It's really a disappointing shame when you come up with a good and actually "useful" suggestion. Then people just refuse to do it and dismiss it because of excuses like "it requires a lot of coding".

This is more of an "excuse" now than a reason to not implement something. Talk about lazy. But then again, I'm not really a coder myself, so I wouldn't really know the stress and effort.

Edited by Guest

Why Im thinking Lifeweb now? Maybe because male and female sprites are really different here? But damn, that would make ALOT of work for spriters and coders. They would have to make sprites for every species and every piece of clothes to make it work.

They're actually not that much different sorry to say. Sometimes close to being the exact same. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a man gets called a woman just because he has long hair like he belongs in a garage band.

Every single clothing sprite made over the course of the last five or so years that we have in our codebase would have to be altered to match the new body shape of female characters.

As nice as this would be to have, it would be a MASSIVE pain to implement.

If you are interested in taking on such a project, by all means, feel free. I can guarantee you many people would be grateful for it.

That said, the change would be incredibly small, as 32x32 sprites don't give you too much to work with. You also need to consider that there are many other suggestions out there that would take a lot less effort to make work and provide players with more enjoyment.

It's not about people being lazy, it's about whether something is worth the effort. I went through the mindnumbing task of altering dozens of sprites to make vulpkanin hardsuits more than half a year ago (yes, I know they're ugly) and I am NOT doing anything related ever again, simply because of how boring it is to just sit there and do this for every single item.

TG has a little script that, I believe, makes all sprites "fit" to female bodies better (without the need for making duplicate sprites)---but I haven't looked into it much.

Respriting every single piece of clothing for male and female (which would have to be done for all races), though, is well, insanity--the amount of work that would have to be put into this would be astronomical.

It's really a disappointing shame when you come up with a good and actually "useful" suggestion. Then people just refuse to do it and dismiss it because of excuses like "it requires a lot of coding".

This is more of an "excuse" now than a reason to not implement something. Talk about lazy. But then again, I'm not really a coder myself, so I wouldn't really know the stress and effort.

Coding != spriting, it's pretty easy to get into spriting, so why don't you get off your "lazy" ass and get cracking?

TG has a little script that, I believe, makes all sprites "fit" to female bodies better (without the need for making duplicate sprites)---but I haven't looked into it much.

Respriting every single piece of clothing for male and female (which would have to be done for all races), though, is well, insanity--the amount of work that would have to be put into this would be astronomical.

Actually it would probably be easier to do this from a coding perspective, if the changes to sprites were all standardized.

It would be as simple as writing a plugin that modifies certain pixels on an image and recompiling them.

To be fair, most people on the station are blue collar workers, and in work clothes you wouldn't really show off all those curves.(Unless that is your line of work)

But as Regens said, people still say 'He' even if the person is obviously a girl. I feel people use 'He' because it's the default pronoun most people use when talking about a person.

It be cool to have what Fox described implemented but I am not bothered as of right now with current models. I just gotten use to constant shift clicking of new people I have never met and try to remember their pronoun.

Why you even need different sprites? Dont we all here have

spongebob_imagination_by_kssael_display_zps742422d7.jpeg

Really, that RP game is all about it. Lots of text everywhere and pixels are made just to make the game easier to play. SS13 would be hard with ASCII instead just like Dwarf Fortress.

Really, that RP game is all about it. Lots of text everywhere and pixels are made just to make the game easier to play. SS13 would be hard with ASCII instead just like Dwarf Fortress.

That being said a ASCII mode event would be as fun as it would be disorienting.

That being said a ASCII mode event would be as fun as it would be disorienting.

Secret hint: Click on the "Icons" menu of the client. you'll find that which you seek.

I am actually in the process of uploading the works I have done on Heaven's Gate (if anyone is familiar with it), which includes more obvious female-looking characters. I have not modified any clothes, but the sprite icons look much more realistic and less like parts put together and slapped-on beer bellies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use