Command Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about joining the convo really late, but I agree that guideline 11 under HoP should be changed or outright removed. Guideline 11 being....

The Head of Personnel may not overrule the Quartermaster's decisions unless there is a major emergency that requires attention (such as a Blob Organism or Nuclear Operatives). That said, when overruling these decisions, the ordered items must actually be relevant to the situation at hand;

The main reason for this is because it directly conflicts with guideline 8.

Unless they are the Acting Captain, the Head of Personnel has authority only over the Service and Supply Departments;

-If the HoP cannot deny and overrule orders, they don't exactly sound like they have "Authority over the Supply Department"

-The HoP is generally viewed as the runner of cargo, with the QM being his right hand man completing doing the work while big daddy is busy with more adult things. (There's a great analogy here but Jesus fuck it's late and I can't think properly)

-The HoP typically supervises cargo during any given round (at least decent ones such as Jack Edwardson) by looking through the orders in the filing cabinet. That means that most decent HoPs HAVE presence in cargo. (At least that's my ideal version of a HoP, disregard this point if you must)

-Typical QM's currently view the HoP as the grand-daddy that they don't want to piss off.

That's my view of the HoP/QM relationship. But back to the point, there is one major loop-hole.

If the QM and the HoP have a major disagreement over what should be ordered, the HoP can fucking fire the QM because the HoP has authority over cargo. Guideline 11 doesn't matter.

So it's either remove guideline 11, or modify guideline 8 so that guideline 11 can actually be implemented. I of course am arguing for 11 to be removed completely, but either or will "technically" work.

That "or" there could be interpreted as: "So long as a Captain has made a reasonable effort to appoint an acting head for a department, they've done all they need to do under this rule." A skeptic might interpret that as: "So long as a Captain makes reasonable efforts to appoint a head for all departments, they are not violating this SOP rule, regardless of how many SOP violations their departments commit".

That's a legitimately good point. How's the following sound:

The Captain is to ensure that every Department is following Standard Operating Procedure, up to and including the respective Head of Staff. If a Head of Staff is not available for a Department, the Captain must ensure themselves that Standard Operating Procedure is followed, and must find and appoint an Acting Head for that Department, if there are available personnel

Emphasis added.

Next up:

-snip about voting-

I can see your point. The redundancy of it kinda does make sense now. How's the following sound:

The Captain may not fire any Head of Staff without reasonable justification (ie, incompetency, criminal activity, or otherwise any action that endangers/compromises the station and/or crew). The Captain may not fire any Central Command VIPs without permission from Central Command, unless they are blatantly acting against the well-being and safety of the crew and station

Next up:

I think it should be: The Captain must keep the Nuclear Authentication Disk in a secure location or on themselves at all times or, failing that, in the possession of the Head of Security or HoP

I see no reason to give the blueshield the nuke disk because he's in charge of protecting the heads... not the disk. In case of a nuke ops invasion the blueshield first priority is to the heads not that damned disk.

The Blueshield is most often around Command areas and is better armed (and trained). Heads of Personnel more often than not faff off to somewhere else but their office, not to mention that they are not nominally in charge of anything but Cargo and Command until there's no Captain.

HoS and Blueshield are safer options. And as for the secure location, well, no location on the station is secure. Keeping it on your person severely reduces the risk of it getting stolen.

-snip about the HoP

Badly worded on my end. My bad. How's the following sound:

The Head of Personnel is bound to the same rules regarding ordering Cargo Crates as the Quartermaster and Cargo Technicians. In addition, the Head of Personnel may not order unneeded, non-essential items against the wishes of Cargo;

In addition, the following was added to HoP SOP:

The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unattended for longer than fifteen (15) minutes at a time. If there are personnel waiting in line, the Head of Personnel is to head to their office post haste;

That's a legitimately good point. How's the following sound:

The Captain is to ensure that every Department is following Standard Operating Procedure, up to and including the respective Head of Staff. If a Head of Staff is not available for a Department, the Captain must ensure themselves that Standard Operating Procedure is followed, and must find and appoint an Acting Head for that Department, if there are available personnel

I'd suggest something like this:

If a department lacks a head, the Captain should make reasonable efforts to appoint an acting one.

If there's a head, enforcing SOP in that department falls on them, not the Captain (though the Captain can demote them if they prove incapable).

If there's no head, the Captain should appoint one.

If there's no head and the Captain can't find anyone willing to take up the post... the department/station probably has serious problems beyond SOP enforcement. And/or the Captain should offer an incentive to anyone willing to take the job.

I don't think Captains should be enforcing department SOP themselves (what are their heads for?) - but they should be willing to demote heads who dangerously breach SOP and/or completely fail to enforce it.

The Captain may not fire any Head of Staff without reasonable justification (ie, incompetency, criminal activity, or otherwise any action that endangers/compromises the station and/or crew). The Captain may not fire any Central Command VIPs without permission from Central Command, unless they are blatantly acting against the well-being and safety of the crew and station

That seems pretty reasonable. I would possibly add "(E.g: magistrate, blueshield, NT rep)" after "Central Command VIPs".

The Blueshield is most often around Command areas and is better armed (and trained). Heads of Personnel more often than not faff off to somewhere else but their office, not to mention that they are not nominally in charge of anything but Cargo and Command until there's no Captain.

I would agree HoS/BS are safer than HoP. HoS/BS are both loyalty implanted, supposed to be carrying weapons, and tend to be in secure areas. The HoP isn't loyalty implanted, isn't meant to be providing physical security (e.g: disk-guarding services), and is often in insecure areas. It would be safer kept on the HoS or BS, if Captain doesn't want to carry it.

Personally, when I play Captain, I keep the disk on me at all times, and give the pinpointer to the HoS/BS so they can always locate me/it.

The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unattended for longer than fifteen (15) minutes at a time. If there are personnel waiting in line, the Head of Personnel is to head to their office post haste;

This is absolutely ridiculous, for three reasons:

1) It forces the HoP to keep returning to his office even when, 90% of the time, nobody will be there.

2) It discourages people from simply radioing or PDAing the HoP to ask him to attend to their request - despite the fact this would be faster. "Oh well he will turn up at his office eventually..."

3) The part about 'if there are people waiting in line' - how exactly would the HoP know unless he's paying attention to radio (rendering this rule somewhat pointless) or already at his desk (also rendering it pointless)?

A better alternative would be something like this:

The Head of Personnel cannot ignore ID alteration requests. They should spend a few minutes at the start of each shift processing any requests made by people who come to their office. After the initial rush is over, they should still respond to any person requesting them over PDA/radio within a reasonable period of time. Disappearing off somewhere and ignoring all requests, to the point that Captain/command consider them MIA, is considered incompetence.

Allllright, full fledged nitpick time; I normally make multiple posts each with only one edit. Now we go hardcore.

Captain

6. The Captain must keep the Nuclear Authentication Disk on their person at all times or, failing that, in the possession of the Head of Security or Blueshield;
8. The Captain is not permitted to carry their Antique Laser Gun or Space Armor unless there's an immediate emergency that requires attending to;

(Edit): I was GOING to make an argument that both of these items should get the exact same treatment in regards to handling, since they're both traitor objectives, but I managed to convince myself that while Nuke Ops exist, the disk should always be considered a special case. So never mind.

2. ...However, the Captain is not permitted to take items from the Armory under normal circumstances, unless authorized by the Head of Security;

12. The Captain may not requisition weaponry for themselves, unless there's an immediate threat to station and/or crew;

These technically apply to separate situations. but they also technically say the same thing. One of them could probably be reworded/removed.

13. The Captain may authorize the temporary suspension of any particular Standard Operating Procedure, if the station is in an active crisis and its integrity and safety are obviously at risk. This is not to be considered permission to ignore Space Law, which must still be followed. Any negative consequences that arise from this suspension of Standard Operating Procedure will reflect on all parties involved, especially the Captain.

An active crisis doesn't sound standard to me, and I feel like this isn't needed considering that the wiki already says

SOP is malleable if the situation requires it, and the general well-being and proper functioning of the crew and station should not be sacrificed for the sake of rigorous adherence of SOP. Remember, context is king.

In fact, that's also already been said multiple times during this discussion. SoP is designed to be malleable, and people should be reading and interpreting these guidelines with that mindset already.

Head of Personnel:

1. The Head of Personnel may not transfer any personnel to another Department without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. If no Head of Staff is available, the Head of Personnel may make a judgement call. This does not apply to Security, which always requires authorization from the (Currently nonexistent...?) Head of Security;

... I think that was suppose to say "Captain", not "Head of Security". If it IS suppose to say Head of Security, it should be specified that: "This does not apply to Security. If there is no HoS to authorize the job transfer, a temporary HoS should be assigned."

3. The Head of Personnel may not increase any Job Openings unless there is a severe and urgent need for them. Single-Slot Jobs are not to receive more Job Openings as long as they are manned, unless the relevant Head of Staff permits it;

I think this can be changed to "Only open Job Slots if the relevant head approves", since no one can really judge properly what job slots need to be expanded upon except for the relevant head. Also, this guideline means that there can be multiple heads to one department (2 Active CMO's, for example), I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. If it wasn't, that needs to be specified.

6. The Head of Personnel is free to utilize paperwork at their discretion. However, during major station emergencies, expediency should take precedence over bureaucracy;

See Captain-13.

7. The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unattended for longer than fifteen (15) minutes at a time. If there are personnel waiting in line, the Head of Personnel is to head to their office post haste;

I agree with TZO that this should be changed to "HoP can't ignore ID changing requests".

8. The Head of Personnel may not requisition Security equipment without authorization from the Head of Security or, in the absence of one, the Warden. The same goes for any equipment from any Department, along with their respective Head of Staff;

Security can just be taken out of the equation completely, and the guideline can instead be:

8. The Head of Personnel may not requisition any equipment outside of it's department without authorization from the respective Head of Staff;

Although to be honest, I think that this can sort of be just removed all together, since it's stressed that the HoP is equal to all other heads of staff already. Of course the HoP doesn't have the authority.

9. Unless they are the Acting Captain, the Head of Personnel has authority only over the Service and Supply Departments;

If they're acting captain, an entirely different set of guidelines apply to them, making this guideline a bit irrelevant. In addition, any head can be acting captain, yet this isn't written in every SoP.

10. The Head of Personnel may not fire any personnel without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff;

Not a complaint with the actual guideline, but considering the theme of the first 3 guidelines, I feel like this one should be grouped with them. It just sort of makes sense that this guideline is 4. and not 10.

11. The Head of Personnel may not create Captain-Level access ID Cards unless they are actually necessary;

This is already disallowed because of HoP guideline 2, making this guideline completely irrelevant.

NanoTrasen Representative:

1. The NanoTrasen Representative does not have any authority over the Chain of Command. Likewise, they do not detain any authority over any personnel. Exception is made if authority is granted by Central Command;

The entire SoP can be made exceptions if authorized by CC; the italicized portion of this guideline sounds unnecessary.

5. The NanoTrasen Representative may not threaten the use of a fax in order to gain leverage over any personnel, up to and including Command. In addition, the NanoTrasen Representative may not threaten demotion in order to gain leverage over any personnel, Command included;

The first part of that guideline basically had it covered. I mean, what else could the NT reps threaten to use the fax machine for? [spoiler2]the correct answer is BSA but shhhhh[/spoiler2]

6. The Stun-Cane provided is for self-defense only. The NanoTrasen Representative is not permitted to perform Security duty;

Ok, this keeps coming up and it kept bothering me for some reason. All three of these heads have been SPECIFICALLY warned that they can't perform security duties, and without even getting to the BS's guideline section, I know that theirs will say the exact same thing. But this guideline isn't applied to ANY of the other heads; not the CMO nor the RD nor the CE. They all have stun batons as well, for self defense, but nowhere in their guidelines does it say they're security. I thought that this was common sense already.

No job besides security is security. All jobs have the capability to carry some sort of weapon or stun. Certain jobs that have possession to Telescopic batons are given to them for self defense, and that should be known. If this guideline is to be applied to the NTrep, HoP and Captain, it should also be repeated for every single job SoP on the station. It isn't and it shouldn't, because that's stupid.

...Ok, rant over, sorry about that. I propose that this and similar jobs should have their guidelines changed to this:

The [Job] is permitted to carry [the weapon];

I ripped that straight from the RD's SoP page, and similar is stated on the CE's and CMO's SoP page. I think it's fine the way it is.

7. The NanoTrasen Representative has no authority to demote or punish any personnel. They may only advise that such actions be taken. An exception is made if Central Command grants this authority.

Well geez, what the hell was NT-5 about? Also, see NT-1 since

A. It establishes that the NTrep already has no authority, therefore they can't fire anyone.

B. Central Command interference is always going to break SoP anyways.

Blueshield:

1. The Blueshield may not conduct arrests under the same conditions as Security. However, they may apprehend any personnel that trespass on a Head of Staff Office or Command Area, any personnel that steal from those locations, or any personnel that steal from and/or injure any Head of Staff or Central Command VIP. However, all apprehended personnel are to be processed by Security personnel;

You all know my opinion on this. (Come on, I used RED TEXT, you can't ignore red text even if you tried).

The Blueshield is not to request, or be provided with, additional ID access, Security equipment, or any further weaponry under normal circumstances. Should a situation arise where additional equipment or station access is a requirement to the effective protection of Command Staff, they should not be be issued without authorization from the Head of Security and/or Captain (for additional equipment), or the relevant Department Head (for increased access)

This literally applies to everyone and feels irrelevant.

AI Maintenance:

5. If the AI Unit is not malfunctioning or subverted, they are to respond with non-lethal force to illegal Law Changes or Cardings. If the illegal attempts persist, and the perpetrator is demonstrably hostile, lethal force from Command/Security is permitted;

Shiet, what the hell? Why does the AI have a guideline in SoP? AI'S AIN'T PEOPLE.

6. Freeform Laws are only to be added if absolutely necessary due to external circumstances (such as major station emergencies). Adding Freeform Laws without proper approval is to be considered Sabotage. Exception is made if the AI Unit and majority of Command agree to the Freeform Law that is proposed;

What's "Proper Approval"? The Exception listed here pretty much sounds like what standard "Proper Approval" should be.

Revised Chain of Command:

All Acting Captains are to step down once an actual Captain is assigned to the station;

I'm crying. All I can imagine right now is MachoFish's sketch with the baby sec guards, except those sec guards all have captain hats on... That's not supposed to be plural, right?

A Captain may choose to step down from Command. If they do so, Chain of Command is to be followed, and the former Captain is to be assigned to another job;

An Acting Captain may step down from Command. If they do so, Chain of Command is to be followed, and the former Acting Captain is to return to their original rank. If this process reaches the voting stage, any Head may opt out of being a candidate;

For both of these situations, I feel like it should be clarified as to what happens AFTERWARDS? Is a new Captain hired? A new Acting Captain?

Edited by Guest

...I lost a part of my soul writing all of that. That took an hour and forty minutes. My sanity may of dropped while nitpicking all of that, so if you guys notice anything overly pretentious or annoying or just plain wrong that I said, I'm so sorry.

I will never attempt to act like I'm TZO ever again. *scream

Considering around half of regular blueshield players consistently ask for additional gear and access and roundstart, explicitly banning it via SOP needs to happen.

This is off the topic of the threat, but SOP probably isn't enough to properly fix blueshield powergaming (though admittedly it's been less frequent recently). Actually handing out jobbans over it or making them unimplanted might be a better solution

...I lost a part of my soul writing all of that. That took an hour and forty minutes. My sanity may of dropped while nitpicking all of that, so if you guys notice anything overly pretentious or annoying or just plain wrong that I said, I'm so sorry.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Like most semi-formal documents, SOP has a tendency to be longer than it needs to be, and/or vague in some cases.

Being clearer and more concise is a good thing.

I will never attempt to act like I'm TZO ever again. *scream

I'm taking this as a compliment. :P

-snip about Department Heads

After giving it some thought, how does the following sound:

If a Department lacks a Head of Staff, the Captain should make reasonable efforts to appoint an Acting Head of Staff, if there are available personnel to fill the position.

That seems pretty reasonable. I would possibly add "(E.g: magistrate, blueshield, NT rep)" after "Central Command VIPs".

I would presume that anyone wanting to play Captain would know what CC VIPs are.

That said...

*scribble*

This is absolutely ridiculous, for three reasons:

1) It forces the HoP to keep returning to his office even when, 90% of the time, nobody will be there.

2) It discourages people from simply radioing or PDAing the HoP to ask him to attend to their request - despite the fact this would be faster. "Oh well he will turn up at his office eventually..."

3) The part about 'if there are people waiting in line' - how exactly would the HoP know unless he's paying attention to radio (rendering this rule somewhat pointless) or already at his desk (also rendering it pointless)?

A better alternative would be something like this:

The Head of Personnel cannot ignore ID alteration requests. They should spend a few minutes at the start of each shift processing any requests made by people who come to their office. After the initial rush is over, they should still respond to any person requesting them over PDA/radio within a reasonable period of time. Disappearing off somewhere and ignoring all requests, to the point that Captain/command consider them MIA, is considered incompetence.

How's the following sound:

The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unmanned if there are personnel waiting in line. Failure to respond to a personnel requesting their presence within fifteen (15) minutes is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure

These technically apply to separate situations. but they also technically say the same thing. One of them could probably be reworded/removed.

Good catch. Fused together in Guideline 2:

The Captain is not permitted to perform regular Security Duty. However, they may still assist Security if they are understaffed, or if they see a crime being committed. However, the Captain is not permitted to take items from the Armory under normal circumstances, unless authorized by the Head of Security. In addition, the Captain may not requisition weaponry for themselves from Cargo and/or Science, unless there's an immediate threat to station and/or crew;

Next up:

An active crisis doesn't sound standard to me, and I feel like this isn't needed considering that the wiki already says

This idea was initially conceived during the early stages of this project (back before Neca left, actually), but considering how much I've been pushing the whole "STANDARD Operating Procedure asdasdasd!!!!111!!!" thing, I think it can be stricken.

... I think that was suppose to say "Captain", not "Head of Security". If it IS suppose to say Head of Security, it should be specified that: "This does not apply to Security. If there is no HoS to authorize the job transfer, a temporary HoS should be assigned."

The actual intention was the "No assigning anyone to Security if there is no HoS". How's this sound:

The Head of Personnel may not transfer any personnel to another Department without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. If no Head of Staff is available, the Head of Personnel may make a judgement call. This does not apply to Security, which always requires authorization from the Head of Security. If there is no Head of Security active, no transfers are allowed to Security without authorization from the Captain

Emphasis added. Next up:

I think this can be changed to "Only open Job Slots if the relevant head approves", since no one can really judge properly what job slots need to be expanded upon except for the relevant head. Also, this guideline means that there can be multiple heads to one department (2 Active CMO's, for example), I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. If it wasn't, that needs to be specified.

Good point. Changed to:

The Head of Personnel may not increase any Job Openings unless the relevant Head of Staff approves. Head of Staff Job Openings may not be opened

Next up:

See Captain-13.

I would very much like to keep this one, if only to remind Heads of Personnel not to get in everyone's way when half the station is blown up.

I agree with TZO that this should be changed to "HoP can't ignore ID changing requests".

See above.

Security can just be taken out of the equation completely, and the guideline can instead be:

8. The Head of Personnel may not requisition any equipment outside of it's department without authorization from the respective Head of Staff;

Although to be honest, I think that this can sort of be just removed all together, since it's stressed that the HoP is equal to all other heads of staff already. Of course the HoP doesn't have the authority.

I agree with the first point, not the second. Heads of Personnel often forget that their authority begins and ends in their office, just because they have an ID machine, but they are, nominally, the second-in-command. As such, changed to:

The Head of Personnel may not requisition additional equipment from other Departments without express authorization from the relevant Head of Staff

Next up:

If they're acting captain, an entirely different set of guidelines apply to them, making this guideline a bit irrelevant. In addition, any head can be acting captain, yet this isn't written in every SoP.

Actually a good point. Changed to:

Despite nominally being in charge of Supply, the Head of Personnel should allow the Quartermaster to run the Department, unless they prove themselves to be incompetent/dangerous

Next up:

Not a complaint with the actual guideline, but considering the theme of the first 3 guidelines, I feel like this one should be grouped with them. It just sort of makes sense that this guideline is 4. and not 10.

Form is as important as the message. Changed.

This is already disallowed because of HoP guideline 2, making this guideline completely irrelevant.

Good point. Stricken.

The entire SoP can be made exceptions if authorized by CC; the italicized portion of this guideline sounds unnecessary.

This Guideline refers mostly to direct authority over the crew. It's important to remind Representatives that no, they do not have any authority unless CC says so.

The first part of that guideline basically had it covered. I mean, what else could the NT reps threaten to use the fax machine for? [spoiler2]the correct answer is BSA but shhhhh[/spoiler2]

Agreed on redundancy. Stricken.

-snip about Sec work-

Yessssss, let the nitpick flow through you....

In all seriousness, changed to:

The NanoTrasen Representative is permitted to carry their Stun-Cane, or a Telescopic Baton if the Stun-Cane is lost;

Next up:

Well geez, what the hell was NT-5 about? Also, see NT-1 since

A. It establishes that the NTrep already has no authority, therefore they can't fire anyone.

B. Central Command interference is always going to break SoP anyways.

Muh redundancy. Stricken.

You all know my opinion on this. (Come on, I used RED TEXT, you can't ignore red text even if you tried).

I should point out, this was put here to formalize what the Blueshield can/can't do in terms of arrests. Some people say sure, others say no, I say "Why not as long as it's relevant?".

It's less of a restriction, and more of a specification.

To that, I say:

Considering around half of regular blueshield players consistently ask for additional gear and access and roundstart, explicitly banning it via SOP needs to happen.

Then again...

This is off the topic of the threat, but SOP probably isn't enough to properly fix blueshield powergaming (though admittedly it's been less frequent recently). Actually handing out jobbans over it or making them unimplanted might be a better solution

Stricken. Next up:

Shiet, what the hell? Why does the AI have a guideline in SoP? AI'S AIN'T PEOPLE.

The intent of AI Maint was to deal with the people doing it, lemme rephrase that:

If the AI Unit is not malfunctioning or subverted, any attempt at performing an illegal Carding or Law Change is to be responded to with non-lethal force. If the illegal attempts persist, and the perpetrator is demonstrably hostile, lethal force from Command/Security is permitted

Emphasis added. Next up:

What's "Proper Approval"? The Exception listed here pretty much sounds like what standard "Proper Approval" should be.

Hmm....

Changed to:

Freeform Laws are only to be added if absolutely necessary due to external circumstances (such as major station emergencies). Adding unnecessary Freeform Laws is not permitted. Exception is made if the AI Unit and majority of Command agree to the Freeform Law that is proposed

Emphasis added. Next up:

I'm crying. All I can imagine right now is MachoFish's sketch with the baby sec guards, except those sec guards all have captain hats on... That's not supposed to be plural, right?

Woops. Changed to:

The Acting Captain is to step down once an actual Captain is assigned to the station;

Emphasis added. Next up:

For both of these situations, I feel like it should be clarified as to what happens AFTERWARDS? Is a new Captain hired? A new Acting Captain?

That's what the "Chain of Command is to be followed" part is.

Yeah, that's a good point. Sorry, Blueshield was one of the latter jobs I looked over and I wanted to remain consistent in my criticisms. I'll ju-

Stricken. Next up:

...FUCK

Ping's Nitpicks 2: The Nicking Pits Back

1. Despite being, nominally, in charge of the entire station, the Captain is to refrain from performing the jobs of other personnel for them, and must simply ensure that they are doing their jobs correctly;
2. The Captain is not permitted to perform regular Security Duty. However, they may still assist Security if they are understaffed, or if they see a crime being committed. However, the Captain is not permitted to take items from the Armory under normal circumstances, unless authorized by the Head of Security. In addition, the Captain may not requisition weaponry for themselves from Cargo and/or Science, unless there's an immediate threat to station and/or crew;

Ok, starting off, these two seem really really similar and can probably be cut down (Specifically, acting as security is performing the jobs of other personnel for them). I DO agree that the captain needs to be reminded that he's not security in SoP though, since the captain supervises the HoS. Maybe toss it at the end of this guideline down here?

4. The Captain is to ensure that Space Law is being correctly applied. This should be done in cooperation with the Head of Security;

They seem to fit.

10. The Captain may only promote personnel to a Acting Head of Staff position if there is no assigned Head of Staff associated with the Department. Said Acting Head of Staff must be a member of the Department they are to lead. See below for more information on Chain of Command;

It might need to be specified (Cause this issue comes up occasionally). That in these situations they are to be promoted to acting head and only acting head. Not actual head, just acting head. An absent head just means that the person that regularly does that job has not arrived yet.

Head of Personnel:

1. The Head of Personnel may not transfer any personnel to another Department without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. If no Head of Staff is available, the Head of Personnel may make a judgement call. This does not apply to Security, which always requires authorization from the Head of Security. If there is no Head of Security active, no transfers are allowed to Security without authorization from the Captain;

... Wait.

The actual intention was the "No assigning anyone to Security if there is no HoS". How's this sound:

...Hold on, what? There were two options, "Captain Authorizes" or "Hire a new HoS first". You said that the correct wording was the latter, but then changed the guideline to the former. Or were you saying that it was originally the HoS, but the Captains authorizations sounds reasonable?

4. The Head of Personnel may not fire any personnel without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff;

There are two anomalies to this rule that... may need to be clarified? I think? Specifically...

Geneticist: No one can really agree on whether these suckers are more research or more medical, but for the time being they're joint custody jobs. Who gets the authority to fire them? The argument of who gets custody over the geneticist is long, bloody, and at a stalemate, so this job will remain in it's dual-leadership hell for the foreseeable future

Internal Affairs Agent: The wiki states that their supervisors are the Magistrate, but is the Magistrate a head? Does the Magistrate get the same rights as a head during an emergency vote, and are they eligible for Acting Captain duty? (I'm sure this will get cleared up in the Legal SoP)

6. The Head of Personnel may only give Captain-Level access to someone if they are the Acting Captain. This access is to be removed when a proper Captain arrives on the station;

There could be a rare case where every single head could decide "Yeah, this sucker should have an all access ID card". But more importantly, isn't this automatically presumed to be the case when the Acting Captain in question gets promoted to Acting Captain?

8. The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unmanned if there are personnel waiting in line. Failure to respond to a personnel requesting their presence within fifteen (15) minutes is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure;

If it's just "respond to the request over radio" or something, fifteen minutes is probably way too long. I feel 3 or 5 minutes is more reasonable. 15 minutes is 1/8th of a normal shift.

10. Despite nominally being in charge of Supply, the Head of Personnel should allow the Quartermaster to run the Department, unless they prove themselves to be incompetent/dangerous;

...Well, wouldn't a new QM be hired, and the old QM fired, in that case?

The Head of Personnel is not permitted to perform Security duty. The weaponry and armour is provided for self-defense only

A reword to "The HoP is permitted to carry a rifle and armor for self defense" would be a bit better; similar to what was done to the NT's similar guideline. Although I think I remember reading something about the HoP being unable to carry his rifle and armor unless there is an emergency. Not certain.

Despite being, nominally, in charge of the entire station, the Captain is to refrain from performing the jobs of other personnel for them, and must simply ensure that they are doing their jobs correctly;

The Captain is in charge of checking that EVERYONE is doing their jobs correctly?

Also, is this really how we define the responsibility of the Captain, as the first-line item?

Perhaps:

"The Captain's main responsibilities are: protecting the nuclear disk, managing the heads of staff, leading the crew, and ___. Captains don't do other crew's jobs for them, they merely ensure jobs are done correctly, typically by managing the heads, who then manage the rest of the crew."

The Captain is not permitted to perform regular Security Duty. However, they may still assist Security if they are understaffed, or if they see a crime being committed. However, the Captain is not permitted to take items from the Armory under normal circumstances, unless authorized by the Head of Security. In addition, the Captain may not requisition weaponry for themselves from Cargo and/or Science, unless there's an immediate threat to station and/or crew;

Perhaps add "The Captain should not generally place themselves in harm's way."

Perhaps replace "requisition" with "take".

The Head of Personnel may not increase any Job Openings unless the relevant Head of Staff approves. Head of Staff Job Openings may not be opened;

The ID computer can't open job slots for heads. This is redundant.

The Head of Personnel may not fire any personnel without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff;

Does this overrule the long-established rule that certain things (e.g: capital crimes) automatically authorize termination/demotion?

The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unmanned if there are personnel waiting in line. Failure to respond to a personnel requesting their presence within fifteen (15) minutes is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure;

"The Head of Personnel may not ignore ID change requests"... etc.

Don't chain them to the desk.

"HoP to desk!"

"What do you need?"

"I want access to X!"

"Head Y, do you approve their access to X?"

"No"

"Sorry, can't do that"

*unnecessary return to HoP office avoided*

The Head of Personnel may not requisition additional equipment from other Departments without express authorization from the relevant Head of Staff;

Maybe change this to "substantial equipment"? Or "important equipment"?

Technically if they pick up a medkit from the floor of medbay, and fail to ask, they're guilty of violating this.

Despite nominally being in charge of Supply, the Head of Personnel should allow the Quartermaster to run the Department, unless they prove themselves to be incompetent/dangerous;

Sub-department?

The NanoTrasen Representative does not have any authority over the Chain of Command.

Agreed. It should remain in the Captain's office. ;)

More seriously: "The NT Rep is not a head of staff, and ranks after them in the Chain of Command."

Likewise, they do not detain any authority over any personnel.

"detain" => "have"

The NanoTrasen Representative is to ensure that every Department is following Standard Operating Procedure, up to and including the respective Head of Staff. If a Head of Staff is not available for a Department, the NanoTrasen Representative must ensure that the Captain is enforcing Standard Operating Procedure;

"... the NT Rep must remind the Captain to appoint a head for that department."

The NanoTrasen Representative must ensure that Space Law is being followed and correctly applied;

RIP Magistrate.

The NanoTrasen Representative may not threaten the use of a fax in order to gain leverage over any personnel, up to and including Command;

"Nor may they threaten to fire, or have CC fire, anyone."

In the absence of any Heads of Staff, the NanoTrasen Representative is to be considered the Acting Captain;

"In such a situation, the NT Rep should also evaluate whether a shuttle call is necessary."

Ok, starting off, these two seem really really similar and can probably be cut down (Specifically, acting as security is performing the jobs of other personnel for them). I DO agree that the captain needs to be reminded that he's not security in SoP though, since the captain supervises the HoS. Maybe toss it at the end of this guideline down here?

Hmm...

Striking the first one.

It might need to be specified (Cause this issue comes up occasionally). That in these situations they are to be promoted to acting head and only acting head. Not actual head, just acting head. An absent head just means that the person that regularly does that job has not arrived yet.

That is specified in the Revised CoC down below.

...Hold on, what? There were two options, "Captain Authorizes" or "Hire a new HoS first". You said that the correct wording was the latter, but then changed the guideline to the former. Or were you saying that it was originally the HoS, but the Captains authorizations sounds reasonable?

My Cronbach's Alpha appears low today. Yes, ask the HoS. If no HoS, ask the Cappy. If neither, no recruitment for Security.

There are two anomalies to this rule that... may need to be clarified? I think? Specifically...

Geneticist: No one can really agree on whether these suckers are more research or more medical, but for the time being they're joint custody jobs. Who gets the authority to fire them? The argument of who gets custody over the geneticist is long, bloody, and at a stalemate, so this job will remain in it's dual-leadership hell for the foreseeable future

I legitimately hate this stalemate at this point. How does the following sound:

The Head of Personnel may not transfer any personnel to another Department without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. If no Head of Staff is available, the Head of Personnel may make a judgement call. This does not apply to Security, which always requires authorization from the Head of Security, or Genetics, which requires both Chief Medical Officer and Research Director approval. If there is no Head of Security active, no transfers are allowed to Security without authorization from the Captain;

Emphasis added. As for:

Internal Affairs Agent: The wiki states that their supervisors are the Magistrate, but is the Magistrate a head? Does the Magistrate get the same rights as a head during an emergency vote, and are they eligible for Acting Captain duty? (I'm sure this will get cleared up in the Legal SoP)

This reminds me. The following has been added to Revised CoC:

The following individuals are to be considered members of the Chain of Command: Captain, Head of Personnel, Head of Security, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Engineer and Research Director. Barring exceptional circumstances (see below), the NanoTrasen Representative and the Magistrate are not to be considered part of Chain of Command, though their input should still be taken into consideration;

Next up:

There could be a rare case where every single head could decide "Yeah, this sucker should have an all access ID card". But more importantly, isn't this automatically presumed to be the case when the Acting Captain in question gets promoted to Acting Captain?

Rare Case =/= Standard Operating Procedure.

Also, yes it is, or should be, but it should still be written down, just in case.

If it's just "respond to the request over radio" or something, fifteen minutes is probably way too long. I feel 3 or 5 minutes is more reasonable. 15 minutes is 1/8th of a normal shift.

Due to tzo's contribution, Guideline has been changed to:

The Head of Personnel may not leave their office unmanned if there are personnel waiting in line. Failure to respond to personnel with a legitimate request within ten (10) minutes, either via radio or in person, is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure

Next up:

...Well, wouldn't a new QM be hired, and the old QM fired, in that case?

Yes they would. Just making sure the HoP knows the QM exists.

A reword to "The HoP is permitted to carry a rifle and armor for self defense" would be a bit better; similar to what was done to the NT's similar guideline. Although I think I remember reading something about the HoP being unable to carry his rifle and armor unless there is an emergency. Not certain.

Guideline changed to:

The Head of Personnel is not permitted to perform Security duty. The Head of Personnel is permitted to carry an Energy Gun, for self-defence only

On to tzo:

The Captain is in charge of checking that EVERYONE is doing their jobs correctly?

Also, is this really how we define the responsibility of the Captain, as the first-line item?

Perhaps:

"The Captain's main responsibilities are: protecting the nuclear disk, managing the heads of staff, leading the crew, and ___. Captains don't do other crew's jobs for them, they merely ensure jobs are done correctly, typically by managing the heads, who then manage the rest of the crew."

See above.

Perhaps add "The Captain should not generally place themselves in harm's way."

Perhaps replace "requisition" with "take".

Guideline changed to:

The Captain is not permitted to perform regular Security Duty, or generally place themselves in harm's way intentionally. However, they may still assist Security if they are understaffed, or if they see a crime being committed. However, the Captain is not permitted to take items from the Armory under normal circumstances, unless authorized by the Head of Security. In addition, the Captain may not take weaponry for themselves from Cargo and/or Science, unless there's an immediate threat to station and/or crew

Emphasis added. Next up:

The ID computer can't open job slots for heads. This is redundant.

That one was on me. Stricken.

Does this overrule the long-established rule that certain things (e.g: capital crimes) automatically authorize termination/demotion?

Woop, forgot about that. Not my intention to overrule it, I will be formalizing it in General SOP, but for now:

The Head of Personnel may not fire any personnel without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff, unless other conditions apply (see Space Law and General Standard Operating Procedure);

Emphasis added. Next up:

"The Head of Personnel may not ignore ID change requests"... etc.

Don't chain them to the desk.

"HoP to desk!"

"What do you need?"

"I want access to X!"

"Head Y, do you approve their access to X?"

"No"

"Sorry, can't do that"

*unnecessary return to HoP office avoided*

See above.

Maybe change this to "substantial equipment"? Or "important equipment"?

Technically if they pick up a medkit from the floor of medbay, and fail to ask, they're guilty of violating this.

Actually, I may just strike this entirely. Swiping half a Department's worth of material for no reason will normally end up in them getting their ass thrown out anyway.

Sub-department?

Supply is a full Department, darnit. #makeCargoniagreatagain2016

Agreed. It should remain in the Captain's office. ;)

More seriously: "The NT Rep is not a head of staff, and ranks after them in the Chain of Command."

Due to being specified in Revised CoC, this one is getting stricken.

"detain" => "have"

Muh malapropers.

Also, it was just stricken by myself, so durr.

"... the NT Rep must remind the Captain to appoint a head for that department."

Changed.

RIP Magistrate.

Guideline changed to:

The NanoTrasen Representative must, together with the Magistrate and Head of Security, ensure that Space Law is being followed and correctly applied

Emphasis added. Next up:

"Nor may they threaten to fire, or have CC fire, anyone."

Intriguing. Changed to:

The NanoTrasen Representative may not threaten the use of a fax in order to gain leverage over any personnel, up to and including Command. In addition they may not threaten to fire, or have Central Command, fire anyone, unless they actually possess a demotion note

Emphasis added. Next up:

"In such a situation, the NT Rep should also evaluate whether a shuttle call is necessary."

It's entirely possible that there simply are no Heads, but everything else is fine. Not really necessary, since if the whole of Command died, it's blatantly obvious that a shuttle call may be required.

holy shit this thread.

That said, at least we'll have well thought out command SoP.

Exactly, I'd prefer it well thought out.

Rare Case =/= Standard Operating Procedure.

Also, yes it is, or should be, but it should still be written down, just in case.

Not exactly what I meant, sorry. I'll get straight to the point.

Guideline HoP 2 and Guideline HoP 6 mean the exact same thing. Guideline HoP 6 can be removed, and any extra information in HoP 6 can be moved to HoP 2.

2. The Head of Personnel may not give any personnel increased access without authorization from the relevant Head of Staff. This includes the Head of Personnel;
6. The Head of Personnel may only give Captain-Level access to someone if they are the Acting Captain. This access is to be removed when a proper Captain arrives on the station;

Sorry, should of said it like that sooner. .-.

• 4 weeks later...

Changed regarding what Ping said. Guideline 6 was merged into Guideline 2.

Giving this another week before officializing it. Chip in while ya can.