Engineering Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Engineering Job SOP: Complete!

Greetings, aspiring SOP writers. If you've clicked this thread, then you're either interested in contributing to Standard Operating Procedure, or are merely interested in seeing how it's going. Therefore, I shall begin by explaining what this (soon-to-be) megathread is all about:

Part 1: What is this?

Approximately 4 months ago, Necaladun approached me with a personal project of his: a complete overhaul of Standard Operating Procedure, meant to centralize SOP in such a way that allowed for more interaction with the Legal sub-Department, more actual guidelines on how to conduct one's performance, and generally formalize what was once only nebulous guidelines in an effort to get everyone on the same page.

This was the project that led to the current version of Security SOP. However, it was left half done, as Necaladun took his leave shortly after Sec SOP was added, and the project crumbled from lack of interest/time. However, I continued the project, but only recently picked it back up in full. The point of this megathread will be to, at the end of the line, have a single, well-defined, centralized Standard Operating Procedure that everyone can look at and fully comprehend, without any self-contradictory information. This, of course, will be changed in the Wiki, which is still the main source of information for the playerbase.

Part 2: How does it work?

Seeing as I actually have most of this stuff already written down, the process will be quite simple, and I'll break it down in stages:

Stage 1: Selection of which part of SOP to look at, out of provided options (because we have to start somewhere). This will be done via poll;

Stage 2: Proposal of new SOP. This will come from myself, again, because I have pretty much most of it already written down, so we have a solid base to go from;

Stage 3: General feedback from the community. This is the main part of the process, as it will be the one where everyone can pitch in, say which parts are right, which parts are wrong, what should be changed, etc;

Stage 4: Amendments made to SOP based on this feedback, and continued discussion, until a finalized version is produced;

Stage 5: SOP is posted on the Wiki;

Stage 6: Refer to Stage 1

Do keep in mind the following: everyone is permitted to pitch in. If you believe you have anything to add to the discussion, please do, but do try to keep this on track and problem-oriented, otherwise we'll never get off the drawing board.

Part 3: What does it entail?

The following are the proposed additions to this new, centralized SOP:

1. Security Job SOP; (added by Necaladun before he took his leave)

2. Engineering Job SOP;

Medical Job SOP; (finalized!)

Service Job SOP;

Supply Job SOP; (finalized!)

Science Job SOP (finalized!)

In addition to the basic SOP for each Department, I also propose:

1. Departmental SOP (as in, general guidelines for each Department that everyone should follow); (stricken to avoid bloat)

2. Command SOP (in-depth SOP for each member of Command, not in Guideline form); (yes in Guideline form, the hell was I thinking?!)

Legal SOP (standardization of Legal procedures and the action of the Legal sub-Department);

A revised General SOP, for each Color Code. This will include Safety Regulations

As you can see, this is a rather big project and, as such, will be tackled in small stages. At each point, the completed section of SOP will be crossed out, and a notification written. At the end of the journey, a single, massive Standard Operating Procedure page will be added to the wiki, with all the above SOPs for everyone to look at. In addition, of course, to their own specific pages.

And now, you've reached the end of the page. It's time to start, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by Guest

Vote service.

Fuck the system! We did it once, we can do it again! (Also service is generally vague as fuck cause some HoP's just straight up forget about them.)

Vote service.

(Also service is generally vague as fuck cause some HoP's just straight up forget about them.)

Yeah, but generally, that's because the HoP doesn't need to worry about them. They're self-sufficient, and don't need constant maintenance.

Vote service.

(Also service is generally vague as fuck cause some HoP's just straight up forget about them.)

Yeah, but generally, that's because the HoP doesn't need to worry about them. They're self-sufficient, and don't need constant maintenance.

But what if that's just the case because no ones doing their job properly?!?! Vote service 2560!

[spoiler2]I'm happy with either, vote for what you want. I'm just bias for service since I'm starting with service for a video series I'm doing and I wanna include a section where I talk about the jobs SoP[/spoiler2]

GO, ENGINEERING, GO!

RUN, MY PRETTIES! SERVICE WILL FINISH LAST, JUST LIKE ALWAYS!

NYEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!

SEND IN THE FUCKING CLOWNS, WE MUST NOT LET TULLY WIN THIS!!

AATTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCKK!!!!

*Several burning monkeys and blue buckets filled with FluoroAcid rain down from the sky*

Alright, so, there are 4 unique jobs in the Engineering Department: Chief Engineer, Station Engineer, Atmospheric Technician, and Mechanic.

The proposed Job SOP for each is as follows:

Chief Engineer:

1. The Chief Engineer must make sure that the Gravitational Singularity Engine and/or Tesla Engine and/or Solar Panels are fully set up and wired before any further action is taken by themselves or their team;

2. The Chief Engineer, along with the Research Director, is responsible for maintaining the integrity of Telecommunications. The Chief Engineer may not upload malicious scripts or in any way hinder the proper functionality of Telecommunications, and must diagnose and repair any issues that arise;

The Chief Engineer is not to authorize the ordering of a Supermatter Shard before any power source is fully set up;

The Chief Engineer is bound to the same rules regarding the axe as Atmospheric Technicians;

The Chief Engineer is permitted to carry a telescopic baton and a flash;

The Chief Engineer is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the Gravitational Singularity Engine and/or the Supermatter Engine and/or the Tesla Engine. Neglecting this duty is grounds for termination should the Engine malfunction;

The Chief Engineer is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the Cyberiad’s Atmospherics System. Failure to maintain this integrity is grounds for termination:

The Chief Engineer may declare an area "Condemned", if it is damaged to the point where repairs cannot reasonably be completed within an acceptable frame of time;

The Chief Engineer is permitted to grant Building Permits to crewmembers, but must keep the Station Blueprints in a safe location at all times

Station Engineer:

1. Engineers must properly activate and wire the Gravitational Singularity Engine and/or Tesla Engine and/or the Solar Panels at the start of the shift, before any other actions are undertaken;

2. Engineers are responsible for maintaining the integrity of the Gravitational Singularity Engine and/or the Supermatter Engine and/or the Tesla Engine. Neglecting this duty is grounds for termination should the Engine malfunction;

Engineers are not permitted to construct additional power sources (Supermatter Engines, additional Tesla Engines, additional Gravitational Singularity Engines or additional Solar Panels) until at least one (1) power source is correctly wired and set up;

Engineers are permitted to carry out solo reconstruction/rebuilding/personal projects if there is no damage to the station that requires fixing;

Engineers must periodically check on the Gravitational Singularity Engine, if it is the chosen method of power generation, in intervals of, at most, thirty (30) minutes. While the Tesla Engine is not as prone to malfunction, this action should still be undertaken for it;

Engineers must constantly monitor the Supermatter Engine, if it is the chosen method of power generation, if it is currently active (ie, under Emitter Fire). This is not negotiable;

Engineers must respond promptly to breaches, regardless of size. Failure to report within fifteen (15) minutes will be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure, unless there are no spare Engineers to report or an Atmospheric Technician has arrived on scene first. All Hazard Zones must be cordoned off with Engineering Tape, for the sake of everyone else;

Engineers are permitted to hack doors to gain unauthorized access to locations if said locations happen to require urgent repairs;

Engineers are to maintain the integrity of the Cyberiad's Power Network. In addition, hotwiring the Gravitational Singularity Engine, Supermatter Engine or Tesla Engine is strictly forbidden;

Engineers must ensure there is at least one (1) engineering hardsuit available on the station at all times, unless there is an emergency that requires the use of all suits

Atmospheric Technician:

1. Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to completely repipe the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided they do not pump harmful gases into anywhere except the Turbine;

2. Atmospheric Technicians are not permitted to create volatile mixes using Plasma and Oxygen, nor are they permitted to create any potentially harmful mixes with Carbon Dioxide and/or Nitrous Oxide. An exception is made when working with the Turbine;

Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to cool Plasma and store it for later use in Radiation Collectors. Likewise, they are permitted to cool Nitrogen or Carbon Dioxide and store it for use as coolant for the Supermatter Engine;

Atmospheric Technicians are not permitted to take the axe out of its case unless there is an immediate and urgent threat to their life or urgent access to crisis locations is necessary. The axe must be returned to the case afterwards, and the case locked;

Atmospheric Technicians are not permitted to tamper with the default values on Air Alarms. They are, however, permitted to create small, acclimatized rooms for species that require special atmospheric conditions (such as Plasmamen and Vox), provided they receive express permission from the Chief Engineer;

Atmospheric Technicians must periodically check on the Central Alarms Computer, in periods of, at most, thirty (30) minutes;

Atmospheric Technicians must respond promptly to piping and station breaches. Failure to report within fifteen (15) minutes will be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure, unless there are no spare Atmospheric Technicians to report, or an Engineer has arrived on scene first. All Hazard Zones must be cordoned off with Engineering Tape, for the sake of everyone else

Mechanic:

1. The Mechanic is not permitted to fit any weaponry onto constructed Space Pods without express permission by the Head of Security;

2. The Mechanic is permitted to construct Space Pods for any crewmember that requests one, provided the Pods do not have any weaponry. Anyone possessing a Pod is to follow Mechanic SOP, Civilians included;

The Mechanic is not permitted to enter the Security Pod Bay, unless the Security Pod Pilot or Head of Security permit it;

The Mechanic is not permitted to bring any Space Pod into the actual station

Ladies and gents, let the discussion commence.

Edited by Guest

I don't see any major issues with this.

I get the feeling I must be missing something, but whatever it is, I don't see it.

Maybe a "Don't take the last hardsuit unless you actually need it." clause?

Added:

Engineers must ensure there is at least one (1) hardsuit available for use at all times, unless there is an emergency that requires the use of all suits

Atmospheric Technician 1

Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to completely rewire the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided they do not hook the Plasma, Carbon Dioxide or Nitrous Oxide tanks to the main Distribution Loop, nor perform the renovations during an active Atmospheric Crisis;

A more general "don't kill the whole station" would be better than specifics that can be worked around to still kill the whole station.

There should probably be something in here about access in emergency situations and/or to deal with breaches. Their job usually involves going into other departments to fix something, but unlike Sec they do not wield the threat of brigging for non-compliance. Perhaps part of of the CE's SoP should be to communicate with the heads of the other departments to ensure that their engineers are always granted access to needed areas (I'm looking at you, science. It takes more time to be let into science than actually fix the damage sometimes.) or include somewhere in the Engineer SoP about times were engineers are legally allowed to hack doors to access damaged areas. Also need to include SoP about hacking in general, as the engineers are the best equipped bunch to do so. I know when I play Glow of Moonlight the first thing I do after setting up the engine is I head over to the Construction area and quickly pulse all the door wires to ensure I know what they all do.

Edited by Guest

A more general "don't kill the whole station" would be better than specifics that can be worked around to still kill the whole station.

Changed the Guideline to:

Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to completely rewire the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided they do not pump harmful gases into anywhere

Next up:

I'd be ok with mechanics being allowed in the sec pod bay provided they are authorized on the spot by the pod pilot

Added:

unless the Security Pod Pilot or Head of Security permit it

To the Guideline.

There should probably be something in here about access in emergency situations and/or to deal with breaches. Their job usually involves going into other departments to fix something, but unlike Sec they do not wield the threat of brigging for non-compliance. Perhaps part of of the CE's SoP should be to communicate with the heads of the other departments to ensure that their engineer's are always granted access to needed areas (I'm looking at you, science. I've spent longer WAITING to get access to the areas in science that have been wrecked then I have actually Fixing them.) or include somewhere in the Engineer SoP about times were engineers are legally allowed to hack doors to access damaged areas. Also need to include SoP about hacking in general, as the engineers are the best equipped bunch to do so.

To be quite honest, I don't think this should be in SOP. A Department not letting Engineers in to repair damage is its own punishment and, frankly, sucks to be them for not opening the door really.

As for the hacking, it's counted as Vandalism, Breaking and Entering or Grand Sabotage, depending on what you do. I'll add:

Engineers are permitted to hack doors to gain unauthorized access to locations if said locations happen to require urgent repairs

To Engie SOP.

Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to completely rewire the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided they do not pump harmful gases into anywhere

Still can be taken literally and end up with people dying.

"Nitrogen is no harm for humansies, pump those roomsies 100% nitrogen for voxxy! Yaya!"

How about:

Atmospheric Technicians are permitted to completely rewire the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided this does not threaten the wellbeing of crewmembers or integrity of station equipment.

I am averse to doing so, because fucking with Atmos intentionally as a non-antag is a great way to be on the receiving end of a Permaban.

Kinda redundant to have it in SOP like that.

rewire the Atmospherics Piping Setup, provided they do not pump harmful gases into anywhere

I know I'm nitpicking, but rewiring pipes?

Otherwise, I dont see any issues with this SOP.

Regarding the 'If a meteor strikes containment thing', maybe a clause where if an engine failure is caused by external forces, damage control is to begin immediately if the singularity/tesla/supermatter doesn't cause enough damage to warrant evacuation, and the team is not penalized. Or something along those lines