Medical Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

I'd like to note that as someone who frequents the CMO role and chemistry role, I do not under any circumstances think it's a good idea to put any harmful chemical (ESPECIALLY RADIUM) in the chem fridge.

There are too many doctors who don't know what they're doing, and too many people who easily slip into medbay and raid the fridge.

People raiding the medfridge for Perfluodecalin and using it for traitoring is already a major problem (power to them really), I don't want to imagine what would happen if people started raiding the fridge for the radium that can kill people in under a minute with just 20u.

If you need radium, ask a chemist or the CMO. If there's a viral outbreak, it should already be their top priority - and if it isn't they should be promptly fired.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor nitpick here. A viro is perfectly safe around others with an Airbone/contact viral, so long as they are in a sealed hardsuit with internals on. For normal operations, yeah, stay in the fortress. When things are going downhill and you're infected, suit up, do your thing, and get uninfected fast.

Actually, we had a similar situation to this a few days back. According to Regen, and this was backed up by events in the actual round, you using internals doesn't matter if the virus is airborne. The other person's internals matter, only. I know it's counter-intuitive, but hey, there we go.

That said, I'll be adding "without Chef Medical Officer" approval to the end of that Guideline.

I'll make an addendum here. Positive virals must be LABELED in the virus database as being positive before being released. This is so all those doctors and assistants with a radium needle don't go screaming "LYNCH VIRO!" when they see the infected symbol on their medihud. I'll address this further, later on.

Ah, this is where the beauty of interlocking SOP comes around. Take a look:

The Chief Medical Officer is not permitted to allow the release of any virus without a full list of its symptoms, as well as the creation of a vial of antibodies, to be kept in a secure location. The virus may not have any harmful symptoms whatsoever, though neutral/harmless symptoms are permitted

Can't have a list of symptoms without analyzing the thing, now can ye?

I'd tweak this back onto the chemists again, and make it a requirement to have a radium bottle in the fridge at ALL TIMES. It is utterly annoying as a viro to be standing there asking for a bottle of radium for 15 minutes while the chemist herps along making meth. Have them put it in the fridge at round start like all the other meds, I'll come get it.

What Shadey said. I'll add something about working together with the Chemist to ensure this.

Fucking RADIUM. Tag this in for general medical SoP. Radium curing is expressly FORBIDDEN for non-Viros to use, when there is an active Viro on station.

This is problematic.

This was actually a matter of discussion between me and Fox, and frankly, I can see the point he was trying to make. Directly limiting the method that can be used to cure a virus is, in many respects, dictating how people should roleplay to a degree that Paradise has never actually done.

While it makes sense, in a HRP setting, to basically say "No one but the Virologist can cure viruses, ever", even in a MedRP setting that kinda falls flat. A lot of this is because the virus and Virology system we have now is utter shit, and in an Outbreak situation, it's far easier to just get the Chemist/CMO to administer Radium to someone, get their Antibodies and boom, virus cured.

As tzo mentioned back in Science SOP, this needs to be a melding of mostly IC with some OOC. As much as I'd love for Virology to get some love, forcing others to sit by and do nothing while Virology goes around and fixes the virus alone is... something I'd rather not have.

That said, I'll fix up Viral Outbreak Procedures to account for this, by adding:

All Medbay personnel are to contribute in fighting the outbreak if there are no other critical patients requiring assistance. Eliminating the Viral Threat becomes number one priority

And:

In the event of a large enough crisis, directly injecting blood with the relevant Antibodies is permissible

To Viral Outbreak Procedures, as well as a small working definition of what a Viral Outbreak is. Moving on:

This one is just common sense.

The important bit there is the 25%. Plus, at least its written down now.

1. Viral sample plates not in active use must be stored in the secure sample fridge, and not left out.

2. Infected blood samples (Viros use a blood vial to save and clone sample plates) must either be kept on your person, or secured in the virology safe if you leave the lab.

3. Backup disks with negative symptoms must also be locked up safely, before you leave the lab.

These are all actually nice catches. I'll add:

The Virologist must ensure that all Viral Samples, infected Blood Samples and Backup Disks with negative symptoms be kept on their person at all times, or at the very least in a secure location (such as the Virology Fridge)

To Virologist SOP.

4. Prior to beginning animal experimentation with lethal airborne/contact strains, and announcement must be made over general radio that the virology lab is now hot, warning any visitors to take biohazard precautions before walking in (Oh lord the number of times I've had a cage full of airborne gibbingtons monkeys and the AI just decides to let the HoS in for a look around.....)

Hmm...

I'll add:

All visitors to Virology must be warned if there is an active Airborne/Contact Viral Pathogen being tested. This includes Medical Personnel

To Virology SOP as well.

Added:

If a patient requests that a lost limb be replaced with an organic, rather than mechanical, substitute, said limb must be harvested from a compatible humanized Test Animal (such as Monkeys for Humans, or Farwas for Tajarans). Exception is made if the patient deliberately requests otherwise

To Surgery SOP.

Sorry, Von Bon.

Added:
If a patient requests that a lost limb be replaced with an organic, rather than mechanical, substitute, said limb must be harvested from a compatible humanized Test Animal (such as Monkeys for Humans, or Farwas for Tajarans). Exception is made if the patient deliberately requests otherwise

To Surgery SOP.

Sorry, Von Bon.

I see no issues with this.

All limbs and body parts used in Von Bon's Chop Shop are made from home-grown, free ranch, and organic test animals *

*When applicable to patients demands and needs.

Oh my, i do believe we forgot the Psychologist.

As much as they are able to play a role, I often see enough of them abuse their positions for drugs or worse, on their patient.

I think some strict guidelines are in order to go along with their ability to deem someone ineligible for their job.

Oh my, i do believe we forgot the Psychologist.

As much as they are able to play a role, I often see enough of them abuse their positions for drugs or worse, on their patient.

I think some strict guidelines are in order to go along with their ability to deem someone ineligible for their job.

We went 100+ posts forgetting the psychologist. Good catch, Von Bon.

I think the SoP could include such things (this is overkill so take some and leave some) as:

• The psychologist shall not be responsible for normal physical treatment, however at the CMO's request, may be conscripted as a Paramedic during major medical crises aboard the station where lack of staff would likely cause death of some patients.

The psychologist is not to carry the straightjacket and muzzle outside his office without express verbal consent from the CMO or HoS.

The psychologist must notify the CMO when dispensing any drugs whatsoever (either provided at shift start or via Chemistry). The psychologist shall carry his pill bottle on him at all times and shall submit to an audit of his medications at any time upon request from a doctor or the HoS (superceding Code Green search protocols - note that only the bottle may be searched on green, not the doctor's person).

The psychologist must notify the CMO (and HoS if a prisoner/convict) whenever using his muzzle and/or straightjacket.

The psychologist, if available, shall visit any permabrigged and/or solitary confined prisoner.

The psychologist, as soon as feasible upon initially reporting, shall inform the HoS and Brig Physician that they are aboard and available. It is the psychologist's responsibility to ask if any prisoners are permabrigged/solitarily confined.

The psychologist in medbay situations shall be responsible to the CMO. Regarding prisoners, the psychologist's treatment may only be countermanded by the CMO, but may be halted for appeal to the CMO by the brig physician. (The HoS, Warden, Magistrate or security staff may not prevent the psychologist from treating a patient in the way they think best)

Any treatment of prisoners is to be in consultation with the Brig Physician, if available.

The psychologist may be asked by any head to evaluate the mental competence of a crew member or head-of-staff. If deemed incompetent by the psychiatrist, they shall be removed from their position upon concurrence in writing by the CMO and signed by the psychologist, or, if the CMO is the individual deemed incompetent, by concurrence in writing by the Captain or Acting Captain and signed by the psychologist. In no other case may the Captain overrule the competency judgment by the psychologist.

Added the following:

Psychiatrist:

1. The Psychiatrist may perform a full psychological evaluation on anyone, along with any potential treatment, provided the person in question seeks them out;

2. The Psychiatrist may not force someone to receive therapy if the person does not want it. Exception is made for violent criminals, if the Head of Security or Magistrate orders it;

The Psychiatrist is not permitted to administer any medication without consent from their patient;

The Psychiatrist is not permitted to muzzle or straightjacket anyone without express permission from the Chief Medical Officer or Head of Security;

The Psychiatrist may recommend a patient's demotion if they find their psychological condition to be unfit;

The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig

Sorry if this may seem a bit insensitive, but does anyone actually play the psychiatrist? I ask that because on HRP servers like Bay I played psychiatrist once or twice and enjoyed it, and saw the office being used semi-regularly.

It's an off-topic question, but on paradise I always see the psych office empty, and when I do see a psychiatrist they always disappear 5 minutes into the round and usually end up in cryogenics.

Added the following:

Psychiatrist:

• The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig

You might want to clarify who exactly authorizes this, because it might lead to an IAA letting a Psychiatrist waltz into Perma and be murdered.

Added the following:

Psychiatrist:

• The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig

You might want to clarify who exactly authorizes this, because it might lead to an IAA letting a Psychiatrist waltz into Perma and be murdered.

IAA doesn't have access to perma wing or (I think) execution chamber. I don't know how I should feel about that, especially the latter. I think perma wing makes a little sense, but it can be a pain to investigate complaints from perma prisoners. But the IAA should have access to the execution chamber. That's a big ball of SoP and IAA needs to be able to keep an eye on it.

Honestly, this feels far too complicated, and should be more generalized, like this.

Medical SOP:

Medical is in charge of healing people of any and all ailments, be they dead or alive.

Medical is in charge of bagging, tagging and putting corpses in morgue.

Chemistry is in charge of providing medical, with medical reagents for medical use.

Chemistry may supply the rest of the station with any reagents they might require.

Genetics is in charge of documenting all genetic powers and disabilities, they may not give this to normal crew unless the RD, CMO or Captain have permitted it.

Paramedic is in charge of bringing people or bodies to medical for treatment.

Surgeons is in charge of making sure the Surgery Rooms are supplied with the tools required to perform surgeries with.

Surgeons are also in charge of keeping such a hygiene standard, where the risk of infection is minimal.

Only those in medical with access to surgery are allowed to permit surgery, in lack of aforementioned, surgery may be done by anyone who is capable of such.

Coroner is in charge to document the cause of death of death of bodies in morgue, and has as a main responsibility to see that all corpses are processed properly.

Virologist is in charge of making viruses, they may not release a virus without it being approved by either the CMO or Captain, spreading of virus should only happen to those who want the virus.

Virologist is in charge of making cures in an effective and fast manner, monkies humanized or not are recommended to make the cure for, in cases where there is no time for such, the virologist is allowed to make the cure in the affected person.

Psychiatrist is in charge of ascertaining the mental health of whoever requests such.

CMO is in charge of keeping medical running in all manners of things in Medbay to be functional, this mainly being that chemistry is producing chemicals needed to allow medbay to function, to make sure cloning is functional, and the cryotubes can be used, they are to make sure that medical get any external supplies when needed.

CMO is in charge of locking down medical when needed.

During a medical outbreak, medical is to turn their effort towards halting it's process and removing it, both by isolating sick crewmembers, preventing healthy crew from being infected when others require medical treatment, keep corpses in body bags, and to keep the floors and walls of medbay sparkly clean to prevent a spread of outbreak.

To put in comparison, this simplifies it from 1781 words, too 408, and instead of a reading time of roughly 7 minutes, this makes it two.

This is a better base to work from, then that short-novella that is introduced here.

It does not need to be super specific, because much of it is already implied here, so please take this into consideration.

The more specific a guideline is the less chance of it being misunderstood.

A clause can be found, loopholes, and all sorts of mess.

• Medical is, on the technical side, suppose to work with just crew members, not just anybody. But I standby that medical treat anybody non-harmful to the station.

The chemist is NOT in charge of providing medical care, just medicines.

Chemistry is NOT to supply the rest of the station with drugs willy nilly.

Genetics SOP has changed and CMO only has authority to remove powers when abused.

Paramedics are generally NOT suppose to actually do the treatments unless in an emergency. It's not their job.

Virus has multiple types of viruses. On inject-only CMO is just needed but airborne would require BOTH CMO and Captain.

(Though that is actually a good idea, I'll start making sure to humanize some virologist monkeys).

Your missing some duties of the CMO.

It's one thing to be extremely specific but it is another to have details.

SOP is suppose to be guidelines to keep IC from going over board and to help OOC learn their job position easier.

Also SOP should never be used to force or make how someone acts.

The SoP I had for working at a petrol station was easily 100+ pages. The size of this to cover the entire medical department seems fine, especially as you don't need to read all of it to play any 1 job except CMO.

Odds are you can go a few shifts playing any of these roles without really running afoul of SoP, and anything you do mess up can quickly be fixed in game. All it takes is someone pointing out you did something wrong, and you now know what you're meant to do.

In addition to the above points, if you actually analyze the individual Guidelines, they will not impact the gameplay of good Medbay players, as it is what they are already doing.

Decomposing behavior and specifying what people should be doing allows for new players to join up, take a quick read and go "Ok, so this is what I'm supposed to do, and what I'm not supposed to do", as opposed to a generalistic set of hazy guidelines that can be easily loopholed around and leave the Justice Sub-Department fumbling.

Sorry if this may seem a bit insensitive, but does anyone actually play the psychiatrist? I ask that because on HRP servers like Bay I played psychiatrist once or twice and enjoyed it, and saw the office being used semi-regularly.

It's an off-topic question, but on paradise I always see the psych office empty, and when I do see a psychiatrist they always disappear 5 minutes into the round and usually end up in cryogenics.

I play Psychiatrist almost exclusively; barring when its given to someone else, or when I want to experiment with something. And yeah I've noticed that most other players who take the role tend to SSD 20 mins in as well. Though I may as well throw in any 2 cents for the SoP.

1. The Psychiatrist may perform a full psychological evaluation on anyone, along with any potential treatment, provided the person in question seeks them out;

2. The Psychiatrist may not force someone to receive therapy if the person does not want it. Exception is made for violent criminals, if the Head of Security or Magistrate orders it;

3. The Psychiatrist is not permitted to administer any medication without consent from their patient;

4. The Psychiatrist is not permitted to muzzle or straightjacket anyone without express permission from the Chief Medical Officer or Head of Security;

5. The Psychiatrist may recommend a patient's demotion if they find their psychological condition to be unfit;

6. The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig

This is more or less on point. The Psychiatrist is a glorified MD with specific responsibilities and dangers, and so doesn't require that much special attention. SoP should probably reflect that if a patient is in your office, they are likely there against their will. There are only ever four types of patients they're going to work with, willing violent, willing emotional, unwilling arrested and unwilling ordered.

Willing violent patients are likely trying to murder you but will take their time.

Willing emotional are probably just looking to RP a bit and ditch work/annoying players; these are your god send.

Unwilling patients were ordered there by a superior or were under arrest, and the distinction is whether they're trying to kill you to escape, in which case you're only really wasting your time. Or its a worker just throwing a pissfit, and might be calmed over time through talking. Both can be exceedingly dangerous if not handled correctly. There is a reason the locker STARTS with enough ether to knock someone out.

Reflecting that, I'd probably throw out or edit 4 to be "The Psychiatrist is required to alert the CMO or HoS of use of straitjacket or muzzle." not because they should use it indiscriminately but because if they have to use it, chances are they will not have the time to wait for a reply. I Concur that 6 should have "under supervision" tacked onto it. I'd also suggest something pertaining to syringe guns as I almost always carry one on my person as I'm not supposed to be carrying stunrods or pepper spray.

Edited by Guest

Changed:

The Psychiatrist is not permitted to muzzle or straightjacket anyone without express permission from the Chief Medical Officer or Head of Security.

To:

The Psychiatrist is not permitted to muzzle or straightjacket anyone without express permission from the Chief Medical Officer or Head of Security. An exception is made for violent and/or out of control patients

Also changed:

The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig, and only with Warden and/or Head of Security authorization.

To:

The Psychiatrist may request to consult prisoners in Permanent Imprisonment. This must happen inside the Brig, preferably inside the Permabrig, and only with Warden and/or Head of Security authorization. This should be done under the supervision of a member of Security with Permabrig access

It just occurred to me that the Coroners should probably do something with the unclonable dead's belongings. It's surprisingly easy to steal identification cards off of corpses.

Maybe some sort of rule that states that the Coroners are to return the ID's of any uncloneable bodies to the HoP, or if need be, CMO? And maybe they'll need to ensure that any job specific equipment that corpses have be returned to their department?

Hell, I don't think this rule will be followed all that often, but it makes sense to BE there.