Medical Job SOP --- Complete!

TullyBBurnalot

Medical Doctors are not permitted to carry defibrillators on their person unless urgently required. Defibrillators are to be kept in their storage closets until such a situation where they are needed, after which they must be placed back in the closet after use, or at least somewhere safe and accessible

This is stupid. They're a slot-back item for a reason; if they weren't meant to be carried around, they wouldn't fit on someone's back. if doctor wants to forego his own backpack over having a defib, that should be his own personal choice; it's not a negative impact to anyone if he chooses to have one on him 24/7.

The Virologist must wear a full Biosuit and Hood, along with Latex/Nitrile gloves at all times when handling viral samples

Literally pointless. A biosuit is to protect against patients or test subjects that are infected, but wearing a biosuit 24/7/365 when you're just mutating strains and isolating them is wasting the Virologist time by slowing him down---it literally doesn't help out anyone (including the viro) to wear a suit when not working around infected individuals.

In addition, all viral samples must have a vial of associated Antibodies stored in Virology

Absolutely not. This is recipe for making the most grindy and boring mechanical job even more horrifyingly grindy and annoying. If it's a virus that's being passed around, then yes, this makes sense, but if he's just sitting in his lab mutating virus strains and looking for symptoms, it's patently ridiculous to expect him to have to make a whole new antibody serum each time it just happens to mutate the antigens--having to do this is a hugeeee waste of time; Viro's already have a difficult enough time building the strains they want in a 2 hour time frame.

In the event of a lethal Viral Outbreak, the Virologist failing to produce Antibodies before the first casualty is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure

Uhh, no. If the CMO and Chemist aren't willing or are too busy to provide radium, you're literally incapable of producing a cure--likewise, some people literally never show up until they're at stage 4 and promptly drop dead in medical bay; that's hardly the Viro's fault and he should absolutely not be blamed or punished for it unless he's willingly refusing to do his duties.

The Paramedic is permitted to carry a regular Defibrillator or a Compact Defibrillator on their person at all times

He's absolutely not allowed to have the compact defib unless the CMO explicitly grants it to him. That's a CMO unique item there is only one of.

Attending Surgeon must use Latex/Nitrile gloves in order to prevent infection. Though not mandatory, a Sterile Mask is recommended;

Sterile mask does nothing in this scenario. Any gloves will do just fine, even fingerless.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Fox on the defib thing with medical doctors.

I'm against removing the biosuit requirement however - you can easily break samples and it makes no sense to be working open air without a proper suit in a virology department.

As for the mask, it just makes sense mechanical advantage or no. Med RP and all.

I'm against removing the biosuit requirement however - you can easily break samples and it makes no sense to be working open air without a proper suit in a virology department.

Not really---you have to be deliberately trying to break it in order for that to happen--as in intentionally holding the dish in your hand, intentionally holding another object in your hand, and deliberately clicking the object that's not the dish onto the dish to shatter it---even then, it only happens 50% of the time; this isn't just an "oops" thing from accidentally misclicking a disk onto something; this would be like "accidentally" eating someone's heart.

As for the mask, it just makes sense mechanical advantage or no. Med RP and all.

A doctor shouldn't be dinged for something that literally has no consequences to not doing.

Except that it is common sense IC wise that surgeons would be expected to follow basic sanitary rules in the 28th century medical world. It's like keeping the OR clean, like masks, they may not have practical effect but IC wise it's unprofessional for your doctor to operate on you without a mask on.

I may not have a ton of experience in virology, but I'm willing to bet I wouldn't be the first to accidentally shatter a vrio glass by accident. A miss click can happen and if you have not been paying attention (probably watching a video/reading wiki to break monotamy), so can an object in the other hand go unnoticed (no excuse for eating an organ though).

Also, like wise for both mechanical and RP reasons, you'd be expected and WANT to wear bio suits to keep yourself and other's safe.

Medical Doctors are not permitted to carry defibrillators on their person unless urgently required. Defibrillators are to be kept in their storage closets until such a situation where they are needed, after which they must be placed back in the closet after use, or at least somewhere safe and accessible

This is stupid. They're a slot-back item for a reason; if they weren't meant to be carried around, they wouldn't fit on someone's back. if doctor wants to forego his own backpack over having a defib, that should be his own personal choice; it's not a negative impact to anyone if he chooses to have one on him 24/7.

Objection! Well, for the negative impact thing at least.

The number one question always asked in medbay is "Where the fuck are the chemi-" Wait, wrong one.

The number two question always asked in medbay is "Where the fuck are the doctors manning the de-" It's SOMEWHERE, I swear.

The number six-sevenish question always asked in medbay is "Where the fuck are the defibs?" There we go!

Out of experience, people possessing their own defibs tends to cause problems. The main reason for this is because if defibs are missing, doctors have to spend extra time running around trying to find either A. A new defib somewhere in the surgery rooms or B. Someone that HAS the defib. On two separate occasions, that extra time meant that I couldn't revive the patients within 10 minutes.

This was mostly a problem back in Nov/Dec of last year, and it got to the point where CMO's were actually firing people that had a defib in situations where they didn't immediately need it. It seems to have worked somewhat, since this problem really hasn't come up at all [spoiler2]for me personally[/spoiler2] in 2016.

To summarize, there is a very prominent negative impact to carrying around defibs when you don't need them: that negative impact being that other doctors won't be able to find defib's when they do need them. The issue should probably be discussed further before any changes are made.

Quiiiick edit: This is mostly cause of trolls, but they should probably be something that we should be aware of anyhow.

Edited by Guest

With there being a total of 5 defribs in medbay, I have not seen a complete lack of them lately. As CMO I always try and keep tabs of where they are.

But I do agree that generally you shouldn't haul around a defrib 24/7 UNLESS you are active amongst medbay. Unless you are the paramedic/emergency, you should not leave the facility with one.

As for why that question is often ask, a lot of doctors either do not know or are not aware of the extra medical equipment closets in the surgery rooms also contain a defrib ( and nitrile gloves).

Not really---you have to be deliberately trying to break it in order for that to happen--as in intentionally holding the dish in your hand, intentionally holding another object in your hand, and deliberately clicking the object that's not the dish onto the dish to shatter it---even then, it only happens 50% of the time; this isn't just an "oops" thing from accidentally misclicking a disk onto something; this would be like "accidentally" eating someone's heart.

I sincerely hope you're kidding.

I've shattered like 40 of those plates by now via misclicks, you can even break them by accidentally clicking adjacent equipment that doesn't accept the virus plates.

It happens all the damn time.

I sincerely suggest you go spend some serious time in medical, you'll hear a virologist complaining that they accidentally broke a virus dish at least three times a week.

While I disagree in principle, purely because I know some people still think Defibs are magical things that can fix literally anything, I'll swap it over to:

Medical Doctors must ensure there is at least one (1) Defibrillator available for use, at all times, next to or near the Cryotubes.

Because Defibs are still valuable.

Literally pointless. A biosuit is to protect against patients or test subjects that are infected, but wearing a biosuit 24/7/365 when you're just mutating strains and isolating them is wasting the Virologist time by slowing him down---it literally doesn't help out anyone (including the viro) to wear a suit when not working around infected individuals.

Workplaces accidents happen. Workplaces accidents involving Virology tend to end in pain, misery, tears and death.

Absolutely not. This is recipe for making the most grindy and boring mechanical job even more horrifyingly grindy and annoying. If it's a virus that's being passed around, then yes, this makes sense, but if he's just sitting in his lab mutating virus strains and looking for symptoms, it's patently ridiculous to expect him to have to make a whole new antibody serum each time it just happens to mutate the antigens--having to do this is a hugeeee waste of time; Viro's already have a difficult enough time building the strains they want in a 2 hour time frame.

Part of Virology's job is to also handle any Viral Outbreaks that may happen. The point of this Guideline isn't to make a vial of Antibodies for every single little mutation, it's to keep a vial of Antibodies whenever new antibodies are present. It doesn't really matter if they're just mutating new samples, having an extra 1 or 2 Antibodies is always useful, since you just upped your odds of having the right antibodies for a random virus considerably.

That said, I can see how this can be misconstrued, so I'll change it to:

In addition, all viral samples with new Antibodies should have their Antibodies extracted and kept in storage, for future use

Uhh, no. If the CMO and Chemist aren't willing or are too busy to provide radium, you're literally incapable of producing a cure--likewise, some people literally never show up until they're at stage 4 and promptly drop dead in medical bay; that's hardly the Viro's fault and he should absolutely not be blamed or punished for it unless he's willingly refusing to do his duties.

You know, this actually gives me an idea. Changing to:

In the event of a Viral Outbreak, the Virologist must work together with the Chief Medical Officer and/or Chemists to produce a cure. Failure to keep casualties down to, at most, 25% of the station's crew is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure for everyone involved

Because some standards are required. Kinda like the whole "Engine failed = fire the CE if we survive" thing.

He's absolutely not allowed to have the compact defib unless the CMO explicitly grants it to him. That's a CMO unique item there is only one of.

As per the above point, changing to:

The Paramedic is fully permitted to carry a Defibrillator on their person at all times, provided they leave at least one (1) Defibrillator for use in Medbay

Better not to run off when no Defibs are around.

Sterile mask does nothing in this scenario. Any gloves will do just fine, even fingerless.

I'm just going to have to recite what others have said below. They're not mandatory, but every OR gets a box for a reason.

I sincerely suggest you go spend some serious time in medical, you'll hear a virologist complaining that they accidentally broke a virus dish at least three times a week.

I sincerely suggest you actually demonstrate your point before throwing around accusation (hint: I used to play medical and science exclusively)---I also sincerely suggest you demonstrate how that's possible, as there's literally nothing in the code that make it shatter other than the condition I just mentioned: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... ces.dm#L38

I sincerely suggest you actually demonstrate your point before throwing around accusation (hint: I used to play medical and science exclusively)---I also sincerely suggest you demonstrate how that's possible, as there's literally nothing in the code that make it shatter other than the condition I just mentioned: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradis ... ces.dm#L38

I break samples all the time by accidentally clicking them on papers output from the disease analyzer.

I have broken samples just by clicking on them too many times.

I have broken samples by accidentally clicking the sample with my active hand while holding the sample.

I have broken samples by accidentally clicking on the wrong thing (papers from the disease analyzer, as said by Keaton)

Prior to the fridge, I have broken samples placing them in the freezer.

I have broken samples with other samples.

It happens, ALL THE TIME.

How long ago did you play in medical? This has been an ongoing thing for well over a year, this is not something new, this is not to even mention that it just makes plain sense for the virologist to be in their biosuit - and there is literally no mechanical advantage for them not to do so if we want to go down that route.

And I'm saying you're flat out wrong, both based on personal experience, and based on the fact that what you're describing literally cannot happen under any circumstance as it's not coded.

95b5d35f3ab15f9ac8b514575ad2ed17.png

Literally the only thing that can break it is by hitting a disk with something else; you can never break a disk by putting it in the wrong spot or hitting it against something. It literally cannot happen.

And I'm saying you're flat out wrong, both based on personal experience, and based on the fact that what you're describing literally cannot happen under any circumstance as it's not coded.

95b5d35f3ab15f9ac8b514575ad2ed17.png

Literally the only thing that can break it is by hitting a disk with something else; you can never break a disk by putting it in the wrong spot or hitting it against something. It literally cannot happen.

Fox, I'm sorry, but it happens. We're not lying to you. It breaks against paper from the disease analyzer. Check again.

Fox, I'm sorry, but it happens. We're not lying to you. It breaks against paper from the disease analyzer. Check again.

I just did; nothing happens because the paper would have to have an explicit attackby() that referenced the virus dish, or the virus dish would have to have an afterattack() to specify for this to happen---neither of these are the case; the only place the virus dish is references, outside of Viro code, is making "ruined viruses dishes" with microwaves.

You can click the paper ONTO the virus dish, and it will shatter it (50% of the time), but abusing the hell out of the disk (which both of you are suggesting) by itself, by clicking it on the wrong places or onto something is literally impossible. I'm not saying it's impossible to shatter a disk; I'm saying it's impossible to shatter it in the manner in which you both are describing.

I just did; nothing happens because the paper would have to have an explicit attackby() that referenced the virus dish, or the virus dish would have to have an afterattack() to specify for this to happen---neither of these are the case; the only place the virus dish is references, outside of Viro code, is making "ruined viruses dishes" with microwaves.

You can click the paper ONTO the virus dish, and it will shatter it (50% of the time), but abusing the hell out of the disk (which both of you are suggesting) by itself, by clicking it on the wrong places or onto something is literally impossible. I'm not saying it's impossible to shatter a disk; I'm saying it's impossible to shatter it in the manner in which you both are describing.

I don't know what to tell you, Fox, I just don't. It's not impossible, because it happened just the way I described it.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Ah I see what you mean. That does explain the few accidents I had in which I broke some dishes but why they didn't break when I had accidentally clicked the dish onto something else directly.

Alex, are you hitting the paper with the dish or are you hitting the dish with the paper?

What fox is saying there is a clear difference between the two and one results in shattering and the other not.

I have done it, so many times.

And it was clicking the dish on other things, not vice versa.

I really don't know what to tell you here.

I even reiterated this with Tully over Skype.

I have done it, so many times.

And it was clicking the dish on other things, not vice versa.

I really don't know what to tell you here.

I even reiterated this with Tully over Skype.

You're likely were not pay attention to the particular situation it happened and had something in your hand and you clicked on the disk with that item--the other would literally require an act of literal magic.

We're getting off topic here from SoP though.

Part of Virology's job is to also handle any Viral Outbreaks that may happen. The point of this Guideline isn't to make a vial of Antibodies for every single little mutation, it's to keep a vial of Antibodies whenever new antibodies are present. It doesn't really matter if they're just mutating new samples, having an extra 1 or 2 Antibodies is always useful, since you just upped your odds of having the right antibodies for a random virus considerably.

That said, I can see how this can be misconstrued, so I'll change it to:

This is still a huge waste of time on the Viro's part; if he's mutating strains and happens to mutate it so the antigens change, SoP here dictates that he has to stop what he's doing, make an infected blood sample of it, infect a monkey, cure it, extract its blood, then make antibodies from it. This is actually making things less safe overall--when it's just a sample in a dish, the literal only way it can infect someone is if they break it--making a vial of blood of it and keeping that around is way more of a risk than a single disk.

Forcing this because "it ups the antibody" pool isn't a good reason, IMO, considering that the chance of the antigens of the virus that randomly appears being the same as the virus you mutated is 1 in 121--0.8% chance of it matching.

Viro's already have an annoying and hard enough time getting the designer virus they want; this is effectively saying "take 5 arbitrary minutes out of your shift to make a cure every time you happen to mutate antigens"---for a statistically insignificant benefit.

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!

*Pan to every available medical staff member in the virology lab, tossing around and smashing virus dishes to figure out what breaks them*

I agree on the antibody part, mind you I think Virology just needs a plain rework in general.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of it falls onto basically this.

Virology is incredibly dull, incredibly tedious and, worst of all, fully RNG-based. Much like Genetics, you can hit the motherload in 15 minutes, or spend 2 hours to get nothing useful, or anything in between. Personally, I feel SOP should reflect what Virology is, at least technically, supposed to be doing, which is finding beneficial viruses and finding cures for existing, non-beneficial viruses.

That said, and to get back on track, in terms of pure mechanics, I can see where you're coming from. As such:

The Virologist must wear a full Biosuit and Hood, along with Latex/Nitrile gloves at all times when handling viral samples

Changing to:

The Virologist must always wear adequate protection (such as a Biosuit and Internals for Airborne Viruses) when handling infected personnel and Test Animals. Exception is made for IPC Virologists, for obvious reasons

And:

In addition, all viral samples with new Antibodies should have their Antibodies extracted and kept in storage, for future use

Is being stricken, with the previous sentence changed to:

Contact and/or Airborne viruses may only be released with consent from the Chief Medical officer and Captain. In the event a Contact and/or Airborne virus is released, the crew must be informed, and antibodies should be ready for any personnel that chooses to opt out of being infected

I want a modification of general SoP that allows the Captain to circumvent/choose to ignore a few parts of SoP, specifically those dealing with punishments. I kinda think a fearsome captain who has security make a makeshift crossbow and execute people by firing bolts into them and pinning them to the walls in front of the bridge could be interesting.