Mining Doctor

LightFire53

There really is no way to stop a mining doctor from mining though. Even if he doesn't get a voucher, he can still go into any of the six lockers (3 on the station, 3 in outpost storage) to grab a scanner and pick, harass the HoP or QM for their spare voucher, or just get one of the miners to borrow him equipment in exchange for letting the miner claim the points from the ORM when the Mining Medic turns his stuff in.

Paramedic is already suited to the roll of rescue doc, and I'd be quite happy to plus one any request for the paramedic to get better access so they can actually rescue people rather than watch them die through an impassible barrier as the AI will 100% of the time watch someone die of their wounds calling for help rather than open a pathway up for said person to get help.

maybe the actual solution instead of a dedicated job for it. Would be a better way for emergency response job to actually reach said emergency. Either by making it faster / easier to get a pass voucher to the section the emergency is in (right now it imply someone with all the access you need give it to you, but that same person could very well just be busy in the emergency).

If there was a way to quickly print / give said temporary access pass by the ai or remotely by the person with access (maybe a pda alert when someone request one) then paramedic could do its job a whole lot better and would invalidate the mining doctor suggestion.

It just screams powergaming to me.

Paramedic is already suited to the roll of rescue doc, and I'd be quite happy to plus one any request for the paramedic to get better access so they can actually rescue people rather than watch them die through an impassible barrier as the AI will 100% of the time watch someone die of their wounds calling for help rather than open a pathway up for said person to get help.

Davidchan is absolutely right in his judgments.

I'm honestly convinced the real reason for the brig doc to begin with was to give security and command at least one loyalty implanted Doctor at round start, thus ineligible to be a traitor, revolutionary or any other form of antag. He can be trusted so long as his Loyalty implant is still functioning (viewable through SecHUDs)

A bit unnecessary if you ask me, but Security and the people that get dragged into the Brig are the mostly likely to need medical attention so it does even out in the RP vs Game Mechanics section, but I've never had a round as Brig Doc where I did more than apply brute patches to officers.

A bit unnecessary if you ask me, but Security and the people that get dragged into the Brig are the mostly likely to need medical attention so it does even out in the RP vs Game Mechanics section, but I've never had a round as Brig Doc where I did more than apply brute patches to officers.

Biggest reason for the Brig Doctor, it was meant to treat criminals who needed medical attention, without taking them from the Brig and risk someone stealing them away, "because fuck shitcurity". However that mentality kinda faltered when the prisoners themselves would ALSO attack the brig doctor for trying to heal them.

Ah... Yes, a better system for the paramedic might be more effective, and not duplicate a job's tasks... Say, a handheld device, that requires paramedic access by default, that allows them to request elevated access for a set of regions for an amount of time they select, from the AI - like a portable, handheld guest pass console. Ya or na?

i think just improving the guest pass system would achieve that goal (and also help engineering). Right now the way it work is that someone (anyone with access) has to go to a guest pass terminal, fill in the info (reason, time, receiver name etc), then finally hand it over to the person who need it. Its fine when theres no emergency and everyone is sitting at their desk, but sadly when they are needed the people who should give the pass are generally too far / busy to do it.

Moving those terminals to outside of the specific areas (cargo, R&D, engineering, security etc), leaving the requesting / filling part to the person who need the ticket. And then simply give a pda alert to every active leads in the department offering to grant or deny the request at the simple press of a button in the chat (similar to how you can reply to a pda message directly in the chat) would likely greatly improve the situation.

as a backup solution in the event the leads for the dep are unavailable, anyone with the requested access could manually approve the request directly on the terminal i suppose (essentially close to the current requirement for guest pass). Only difference is that this scenario would be a lot less likely since heads could handle those quickly and easily so long as they have their pda / pda messenging is functional.

Personally, I wouldn't be averse to the Paramedic just having basic access to all Departments. Not the more sensitive areas, just enough to show up, have someone from the Department drag the wounded/dead person a few feet, then run off. Kinda like what happens with Sec.

Basic Security, Engineering, Science would be a good thing, how exactly to give access to civilian areas would be touchy.

Alternatively, I'd suggest giving the Paramedic a special tool that they can use on a door to request access. It could either be a direct request thing, where targeting a door would send a notification to the Head of Staff in charge of that area via their PDA. They would have 30 seconds to approve or deny the access request, or if it times out the request would be forwarded to the Captain who would receive an additional 30 seconds to approve or deny.

If approved (or a full 60 seconds passed and no input from Head of Staff or Captain) the door would be set to emergency access for 60 seconds, and logged in the device.

Denial would simply return a denial message with an optional statement as to why from the Captain/Command member who rejected it.

Emagging this device would allow it to set any door to emergency access bypassing the request and recording of what doors where opened and when.

Alternatively, a token system could be used where the device has 10 charges by default and every door that is opened with costs a token, and records a timestamp of what door was opened when. Command members could swipe their ID and add a number of tokens to the device upon request, each Command member's tokens only able to affect their specific area, while the Captain assigned tokens would allow any door to be opened. Emagging this version would simply not need tokens or record what doors were tampered with.

In either case, emagging the device would change the interface of it and make it someone obvious it had been illegally tampered with. If possible to code it, instead of a device it could simply be a specialized ROM card or PDA, like how the Clown and Mime can send viruses.

It is a hassle sometimes to give my paramedics basic access ( security one though is always denied, even if just hallway).

Giving the CMO an ability to directly allow access to other areas ( even temporary) could lead to abuse or make antag roles a thousand times easier.

Though I do like the idea of overhauling the guest pass system. For all departments.

The idea in my head :

• Every head in their office has a request-a-guest terminal.

In this example, a CMO/Paramedic overhears someone dying at mining and the CMO requests to the HoP/QM for a (very short and temporary) basic cargo/mining guest pass.

The QM/HoP/Captain either IDs or Stamps ( or both ) for approval at their own terminal and out pops the pass in the CMOs office that then gives to the paramedic to do his job.

Hell, don't even need a new machine. Just include the option in the request console thingy already in every head office.

This can help robotics and cargo deliver what they need, allows science and miners to not die horribly from Xenos, and brig doctor can still remain relevant ( when one around, no reason for paramedic to have security access).

Not abusable too cause that would require multiple head positions or items to be compromised and at that point, it is probbaly self antaging or chain of command already screwed.

it leaving a papertrail, so to speak, would be nice too.

i dont really agree in requiring the head of a department to send the request to another head to get the guest pass, it seem like a step backward. Whole reason why the guest pass arent used right now is because when they do are needed, noone is here to give them since they generally are busy with whatever created the need in the first place.

Thats why i suggested moving the system from requiring the head of the area to operate a terminal and instead have a system where whoever need the guest pass can request it and the related head simply have to approve / refuse on their pda. (and i suppose giving an alert to the ai would also go a long way)

That's what I was meaning. Anyone with the access can use and print out a guest pass to anyone, in the respective department, but departments like security and medical don't have time to wait around doors, and I mean that genuinely. Both types of jobs involve time sensitivity whether it is someone dying horribly in xeno or a decaying evidence and a detective being ignored.

A head uses terminal to request so-so, the other head/captain approves it with terminal/pda, out pops 5 minute guest pass on other side, head gives person the pass, people go about doing their job.

This also reduces the stress for AI Players, I'd imagine.

Personally, I wouldn't be averse to the Paramedic just having basic access to all Departments. Not the more sensitive areas, just enough to show up, have someone from the Department drag the wounded/dead person a few feet, then run off. Kinda like what happens with Sec.

I'm of the same opinion. Make the Para have something special and not be a nurse without surgery access that drives the buggiest ambulance ever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use