Remove the Incinerator/Assembly Line for Workshops

LiquidNightfury

Right now we've got a couple of areas around engineering that don't get a lot of traffic from anybody. They might have had uses in the past, or have become otherwise outmoded by newer additions to the station, but as it is the incinerator and the assembly line don't even get visited by antags looking to stash a corpse. As they are now they do make good test beds for engineers or atmospheric technicians who want to do tinkering, with only one issue: They're both cluttered with a lot of equipment, some of which is indestructible.

My proposal is thus: Rename these rooms into "Engineering Construction Area #2/#3" With the current black-floored construction area being #1, and engineering/atmos access on the doors. Square up their current layout to a plain four-wall layout, ditching airlocks and weird corners. Remove the maintenance tunnel along the left side of the assembly line in order to give it access to space. Most importantly, remove all the indestructable equipment in these areas. When they don't even get used, having random operating tables and plasma canisters is just annoying for people who like to build.

+1 this is good for moderatly ambitious engineers who are training to do mega projects like derelict reconstruction, space fort building, and is important to give them a hatred for science due to their access locked protholathe

The incinerator could be moved but I agree, without being able to use protolathes or and RnD stuff the room is useless. Its too small for any real construction without tearing the whole area all to hell. And engineers really do need somewhere to build shit, its too much work to actually build something in a normal round just by removing whats already there. Preferably somewhere with some reinforced walls so your SM prototype or super turbine doesn't burn the station down on accident and get boinks.

You could move tech storage and the incinerator farther to the west and make the assembly line/tech storage area into a decent construction zone and keep maintenance areas around it.

Or put the construction area out where the mechanics office is, perhaps put the mechanics shop off the construction zone so he can coordinate with other engineers, possibly using his pod to collect supplies or something. This would give him some traffic in the area instead of being pretty much isolated in his shop.

Incinerators there for traitors to be able to make a hell mixes or TTV bombs without the stations watchful eye on them.

The incinerator exists as a room for traitors to do things in.

That's what it's always been.

Incinerators there for traitors to be able to make a hell mixes or TTV bombs without the stations watchful eye on them.

The incinerator exists as a room for traitors to do things in.

That's what it's always been.

Good in theory, but I haven't seen these actions from an antag in a long time. Most antagonists that go this route already play a scientist or atmos. I see it get used for tinkering more often than antagging, to be honest.

I see it get used for tinkering more often than antagging, to be honest.

With the new extended maintenance tunnels, nobody bothers going there. It's too close to the vital arteries of the station.

It's sometimes used by nukies as an entry point, though, to get to Bridge/Captain's Quarters via HoP.

I use the incinerator all the time, the access change a while ago made unwanted visitors were few and far between, it's a great place to get up to mischief, it could do with being moved perhaps though I'd rather keep it.

The assembly line however... yeah it gets renovated every now and again, but the indestructible equipment is a real pain, some sort of re-map would be an improvement.

I'd rather the conveyor belts, which I'm betting are the indestructible equipment aside from the surgery table and disposal box, be made constructable as they actually have fun uses which I can never get to do because I can't place them anywhere. At least make them wrench-able to be moved about. Use a screw driver or something to make them into turns. Would this be hard to make a thing?

making them unbolteable and draggable (similar to pipe dispensers) shouldn't be complicated at all.

The part that sometime get complicated with those fixed machinery, is if they have connections to other machinery needed and the likes.

making them unbolteable and draggable (similar to pipe dispensers) shouldn't be complicated at all.

The part that sometime get complicated with those fixed machinery, is if they have connections to other machinery needed and the likes.

The only thing there I can think of is that they need a lever or switch to operate. I noticed we have mass driver button frames but never tried building them. If levers or switches are constructable then I could imagine a multitool to easily link the belts to one of them but now it just became just slightly more work

If the belts were buidable, they would be super abuseable.

Infinislipping funrides of hell, Plastic flap fuckery to block nerds inside walls with ease, combine with disposal systems for maxium !FUN!.

I don't think it would be that abuseable. Items show above belts as far as I've seen. Any item on top of the belt moves with it and I don't know if someone on a belt with a slip under them would slip too. Maybe you or someone else does but I don't. And I don't think plastic flaps are constructable so wherever that comes into play I'd like to know

The Assembly Line's a safe fun place for someone learning to use, and I usually leave the surgery table there to serve in emergencies. Admittedly I sort of wish there was a conveyer dispenser or something, if only to help in fixing Cargo when someone decides to flush a bomb down disposals, but I can see how easily-accessible conveyers could cause an issue.

I dunno so much about the incinerator though, I rarely go there anyway.

Are you imagining something like this?

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=9ab2d88

A big room designed for things like a second engine, or other major construction on-station?

What exactly would you build there?

I'm curious. Usually when I am CE I only bother building small hidden rooms.

There's already a construction room next to the drone control unit in north eng.

What would be big enough that it would really take all that space, except perhaps a second engine?

Are you imagining something like this?

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=9ab2d88

A big room designed for things like a second engine, or other major construction on-station?

What exactly would you build there?

I'm curious. Usually when I am CE I only bother building small hidden rooms.

There's already a construction room next to the drone control unit in north eng.

What would be big enough that it would really take all that space, except perhaps a second engine?

No, retain the main hallway, just lose the maintenance west of the assembly line, and you're about spot on. The reason I bring it up is that the construction unit next to the drone control isn't adjacent to space. This means it isn't useful for a lot of construction projects, especially stuff like supermatter tinkering where it can cause a lot of harm to the station if not properly neutralised. It's surrounded on three sides by equipment, as well as a maintenance tunnel absolutely full of pipes, and is honestly too small for any project beyond a small passing fancy, leaving engineers to have to build their own workspace if they want to build something that works off supermatter or thermoelectrics, or strip down a large amount of equipment for space. With the assembly line already being defunct, I can't really see what leaving the gear in there does.

The reason I bring it up is that the construction unit next to the drone control isn't adjacent to space...

It's because it was never meant to be a construction zone anyway. It used to hold the grav gen back when the AI was placed in the center of the station.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use