Get rid of Bags of Holding spawning singularities

Cupcakes_n_Hacksaws

ech 9retch

Still, this is a pretty shitty excuse for keeping something this gamebreaky in the code.

I mean, AT LEAST ADD A FUCKING POPUP MENU THAT SAYS THAT THIS CAN CAUSE SOME MAJOR BAD SHIT TO HAPPEN THEN AN OOC MESSAGE IN BRACKETS TO FUCKING TELL YOU YOU CAN GET IN TROUBLE FOR THIS.

The negatives outweigh any positives ten fold.

It's been debated already.

Your argument is deemed invalid because:

a) BoH in BoH is a fancy reference that is loved by our coders. It is so old that it's basically become an argumentum ad antiquitatem.

b) BoH in BoH is balanced. Balanced against bans.

Sorry, but as you can see, your argument is invalid.

Pretty sure you're going to kill someone with all that sodium chlorine

ech 9retch

Still, this is a pretty shitty excuse for keeping something this gamebreaky in the code.

I mean, AT LEAST ADD A FUCKING POPUP MENU THAT SAYS THAT THIS CAN CAUSE SOME MAJOR BAD SHIT TO HAPPEN THEN AN OOC MESSAGE IN BRACKETS TO FUCKING TELL YOU YOU CAN GET IN TROUBLE FOR THIS.

>baldie tries to put BoH into BoH

>Popup: "Are you sure? This is probably a BAD idea" Y/N

>Y. 2nd popup: "No really, if you don't know what it does don't do it, it WILL get you banned. ahelp for permission first." Ohshitno/HURRRR

>HURRRR. Finally put the Boh into the other Boh and insta-gib the player for being an idiot.

I'm pretty sure coding a popup is rather easy, i've seen coders do it between rounds (the famous round-end karma reminder popup is an example).

Everybody happy?

Was this actually removed?

I accidentally placed a BoH in BoH a few days ago during a frantic moment. Hallway got C4'd I was dragging a crate with a BoH in it to mining for miners. C4 went off because captain and security were all around it and nobody thought to tape off the c4 to keep people back, crate got pushed into the c4 and exploded, BoH went flying so I ran to retrieve it upon gaining conciouness and hit E on instict to store it. Inside my BoH. Frantically realized what I was doing and was about to ahelp it to remove the impending BoH singulo when I realized it didn't spawn, I wasn't dead. I was wearing one BoH and both of them had objects in them. Not sure if this was just removed entirely or a bug prevented it from happening. Needless to say I removed the bag from the bag ASAP and ran my ass to mining to give it to the miner and then go cry in a corner.

Was this actually removed?

I accidentally placed a BoH in BoH a few days ago during a frantic moment. Hallway got C4'd I was dragging a crate with a BoH in it to mining for miners. C4 went off because captain and security were all around it and nobody thought to tape off the c4 to keep people back, crate got pushed into the c4 and exploded, BoH went flying so I ran to retrieve it upon gaining conciouness and hit E on instict to store it. Inside my BoH. Frantically realized what I was doing and was about to ahelp it to remove the impending BoH singulo when I realized it didn't spawn, I wasn't dead. I was wearing one BoH and both of them had objects in them. Not sure if this was just removed entirely or a bug prevented it from happening. Needless to say I removed the bag from the bag ASAP and ran my ass to mining to give it to the miner and then go cry in a corner.

That's likely a bug.

then why i got ask that this have not removed yet if you won't want anyone to spawn a singularity, you you just going to chew them out and then banhammer them?

Because 'its been part of teh code forevur an we don wanna remove cuz muh nostalgia'.

That sounds too familiar.

Instastun. Also, haha, you can't see this.

>baldie tries to put BoH into BoH

>Popup: "Are you sure? This is probably a BAD idea" Y/N

>Y. 2nd popup: "No really, if you don't know what it does don't do it, it WILL get you banned. ahelp for permission first." Ohshitno/HURRRR

>HURRRR. Finally put the Boh into the other Boh and insta-gib the player for being an idiot.

I'm pretty sure coding a popup is rather easy, i've seen coders do it between rounds (the famous round-end karma reminder popup is an example).

Everybody happy?

This sounds like the best way to go about this. Give people enough warnings that if they want to fuck up, they made sure to and they knew the consequences. If they argue they didn't you can easily prove it to them otherwise (even if logic doesn't work on them) or ban them outright if they start making a scene.

What if we flipped it around? Make it so a BoH in a BoH doesn't spawn a singulo until the person has used ahelp to see if it's an appropriate time for it. Most of the time a Mod will likely be able to find a different course of action for the person and the few times when it's acceptable to spawn a singulo an Admin activates it.

In-game it can be chalked up to the fact that bluespace tech is unpredictable so it doesn't always cause a singulo.

You could just make it a var you can toggle on or off in the BoH. Then again I don't know how many admins enjoy varhax like I do. I'm the type of guy who would make an energy sword look like a salmon, or posses a hacked mulebot and travel around randomly just in case I run over someone

I am such a horrible person, I won't ever do that again

Why not have bags of holding spawn from the lathe in protective lockboxes that "isolate the bluespace emissions" (unlockable by any scientist or QM/above) or wrapped up sort of like a cargo shipment?

Then it's really on you because you have no reason to put a BoH in a BoH.

Most of the time, it's scientists that put the stuff in the stuff.

Putitng a lockbox over it won't stop anything, especially if scientists or QMs (why should he need this?) have access.

I swear I've seen RDs do this too, name a job with Science access and I swear they made a sing.

Welp, it happened again.

I'm getting ready to rush to the bridge. CE asks for a bag of holding so I grab him one, think "Oh, HoP might need one too" since we're possibly going into danger and might need to carry stuff.

I swear I hit q to drop the first bag and then clicked on the second one, but nooooo, immediate singulo.

I'm just glad it happened at the end of the round...

I fully admit fault here but in all fairness I was in a stressful situation with talk of traitors running around and command staff dying left and right. I'll do my best to not have it happen again but when the situation turns to shit caution can fall by the wayside all too easily.

I'd be up for it generating a small "Direct Narrate" message to the tune of:

You feel like this would be a really bad idea...

Whenever someone tried putting a Bag of Holding into a Bag of Holding. That and giving Administrators a small (read: FUCKING HUGE) message whenever someone tries it.

There are literally no situations where this can be useful. Singulo-bombing the station in order to Hijack the shuttle, at least from where I see it, rarely works anyway.

I actually enjoyed that singularity last night because it made me the hero that the HoP wouldn't give me the title for, I was the Mime and had to drag someone over to announce the singulo was loose. Then I looted a space suit and grabbed the chef that was stranded in escape and died of exposure, revived with defib, brought to the security shuttle. Then because it was crew transfer and not an emergency shuttle the pods wouldn't have worked so I got the CE to cancel the shuttle and call a normal shuttle. "Annoying Mime Security Guard" saved the station, only two other people actually boarded the normal shuttle.

I have to admit I like how it creates a singularity mainly cause one boring shift a traitor got ignored to many times by his science friends and he decided if they would not listen to him he would make them. Now just to clarify it was not me but I wish it was because its something I can see my self doing and sounds fun as hell in the end the revenge sounded worth it now how he survived long enough to say THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS I have no idea but again loved it. But I do agree that it should be more admin enabled kind of thing so if someone tries to do it without good reason and without permission say like someone from FFF the admins can just go HUR HUR HUR BANNED. But again just to clarify I am against having it changed but I am all for having it be made admin approved before use type deal.

Dude there's literally no reason to ever use it legitimately, Escaping Alive is pretty much impossible if you do this. Same with Assassinations, you're just going overboard that way.

Non-antags shouldn't even be touching two of them at once. The only thing it's ever truly allowed to use this method is the Endround.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use