Station Idea: Checkpoint Station

Tauka Usanake

So this is a station design I made up a long time ago, back in the good ole days of ZAS when I was still starting out on SS13 code. Back then I just wanted a new station or something special to our own little gaming group. Never really got around to working on it or gave it a name but today I happened across a paper design I made of it and decided to try and revisit it.

It's a medium sized station I want to say, or looks slightly smaller than Cyberiad. Most departments have their hallways open but with a security checkpoint along with the Head of that department at the entrance. Anything relating to a job inside that department will not be accessible from these hallways except maybe Medbay for obvious reasons. The main meat of this station idea would be that it's a docking station for passing ships. My original idea included adding in some features that are present in other games, in this case the roguelike FTL. A ship made in likeness from that game would dock at one of the station's docking ports placed beside arrivals and... I don't know, whatever would happen. Maybe some path finding or script could be wrote for NPCs on it and go do something/have the station supply the ship or what.

I would imagine the ships docking would work somewhat like the holodeck or how the nukeops/vox raiders/someotherthirdshipthatsnotthewhiteshiponthemaps would work. Maybe even get it to fit the admin or Death Squad ships in. I thought it would be something interesting, new that would add in some random encounters.

I can post the sketch I made of the station but it's pretty old and might need some additional changes. Did a few today but still. Also a Security wing is missing from it somehow so I would imagine that to be off-station, kind of like permabrig but maybe not on a different z-level. I mean you don't want criminals on a peaceful little station like this.

I don't understand? I mean yes it would require more code than what is already there. Yes it would be specific to this station or others that would use it. Yes it is a suggestion and like all suggestions it most likely WON'T be made. Either way I wanted to post it out because I thought it was a neat idea and something I would work towards.

"Why is this in suggestions?" man. You could have posted anything but that line itself just ruined my day. I don't even care about this station idea anymore

"Why is this in suggestions?" man. You could have posted anything but that line itself just ruined my day. I don't even care about this station idea anymore

I dream about SS13 everyday. But it's only dreams, wishful thinking or some fictional universe I like playing with in my mind.

I think it'd fit better in general discussion, so our suggestion forum isn't just filled with dreams.

I think that not caring is a good way of dealing with this.

I mean, it seems feasible, all you need to do is the following:

• Add a new set of antags/protags to handle being the crews of the ships to resupply. The part of them actually visiting the station would probably be handled by an admin initiating the event.

• Make various ship layouts to dock

And of course, make the actual map

Nothing too herculean there. The bulk of the work here looks to be mapping, which once done, the rest should lend itself easily to completion.

I mean even on the current station we have more than enough arrivals space for to add a mid round antag/protag type that takes a ship and docks it in the usual NT shuttle spot ( its the best spot) you could make a bunch of ships, give them all the same docking spot, and randomly through a round ghosts could be pulled to it, and sent to the station.

Just imagine the fun, Shadowlings up to no good, then a mysterious race of glowing assholes that transfer a small bit of power to room they are in, wanting the shield generators from engineering show up.

or during a cult round a ship with a crew full of golems shows up to steal the nuke.

I mean even on the current station we have more than enough arrivals space for to add a mid round antag/protag type that takes a ship and docks it in the usual NT shuttle spot ( its the best spot) you could make a bunch of ships, give them all the same docking spot, and randomly through a round ghosts could be pulled to it, and sent to the station.

Actually you can't, we use shitty bay shuttles, which means only one shuttle can ever have the same predefined spot to go to.

Actually you can't, we use shitty bay shuttles, which means only one shuttle can ever have the same predefined spot to go to.

Like I mentioned before, why can't you use the system that the holodeck uses? Or what the syndicate/vox raiders/white ship do?

Could just extend arrivals out a bit. We have room.

That's kind of what I want to do for this station. Make multiple docks in a single hall and put them beside each other. The only issue I can see in this is that every ship will have to fit inside a predefined area or multiples of that area. More of a mapping issue than a coding issue but unlike coding mapping is slightly easier.

As for the design I made way back, I like it. Don't think anyone else will too much. Also like I said, Security might have to be off-station.

1zJHFCQ.jpg

[spoiler2]First complaint I'm betting (besides the possible shitty layout of everything and open hallways) is that there are crew quarters[/spoiler2]

[spoiler2]Edit: I am also over my initial disappointment that Plotron invoked on me. No hard feelings[/spoiler2]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use