Return "Dereliction of Duty"

TullyBBurnalot

Exactly what it says on the tin.

I like the new Space Law. It's streamlined, it's well defined, it's got funny pictures. However, one thing I absolutely disagree with is the removal of Dereliction of Duty (or whatever was the exact name). With the current system, the closest you have is Creating a Workplace Hazard, and even then you have to stretch the definition some times.

Dereliction of Duty aboard the Cyberiad can be fatal. Engineers didn't set up the Singularity? Say goodbye to power. Engineers couldn't be bothered to set it up properly? OH GOD IT'S LOOSE CALL THE SHUTTLE. Science decides to ignore proper research or Robotics fucks off doing mechs because lulz? Prosthetics go unmade, potentially life saving materials remain unresearched.

But the biggest gripe has to be with Command. Let's list a couple of things:

1. Several Captains, as of late, organizing civilian parties in the Captain's Office/Bridge, getting shitfaced and allowing highly restricted items into the hands of the greytide;

2. Rambo HoS who "preemptively" take half the armory "for later" while on Green Alert;

Chief Engineers who refuse to overlook such basic things as "making sure the Singularity is on" or "making sure Engineering is fixing that ginormous hole at Departures";

CMOs who lock themselves in Chemistry to make meth (one time is too many. I've personally seen three of these)

And the problem is that, more often than not, you end with a Command staff that's either too apathetic to do anything, or is actively preventing any outside influence from ruining their private fiefdom. And Security can't/won't do anything because, legally, they can't (also because the HoS has guns and is yelling at them not to arrest the Captain because "parties are fun").

My point is that Dereliction of Duty is sufficiently different from Creating a Workplace Hazard, and can be applied on so many things, as to warrant being its own crime. Perhaps a Medium Crime, with a note stating that the time issued on the sentence goes up the more said person screws up.

I am all for this.

To see the countless times I've found a shitfaced security officer in the bar doing nothing but puking their guts out and starting brawls, this would be a nice re-addition to space law.

Yeah, I'm all for this, provided you can only get slapped with it if there's actually something pressing to do and not just 'You took a ten minute break? To the brig with you!'

'Creating a Workplace Hazard' should be enforced more often, there's usually trash and dangerous shit -everywhere-.

Yes please.

Getting tired of all this.

it's got funny pictures.

Oh hey someone noticed the pictures me and SAA put up.

I very much agree with this, but it'd need specific wording; We don't need another law like "Vandalism" that security can arrest you for whenever they see you do anything to so much as a wall tile with a spray can, let alone a welder.

I support this so long as there is discretion between taking a break/unable to progress due to outside limitations and just not doing the job. Medical not reviving people because the guy was mean is one thing, but not being able to clone people because no biomass is another. Can't wait for mining overhaul, here's to hoping it actually makes miners work.

Of course, like all things, the specifics of the law need to be investigated/looked into by Security. Obviously, if it turns out no one is cloning anyone because there's no biomass, then that's a problem with Chemistry, not Medbay in general.

Oh god yes please.

Also get some half-decent sec officers to enforce it and we might actually start to see some changes around here (maybe I'm idealistic though)

We need this law.

I love demoting people for fucking off somewhere in times of crisis (Warden 'patrolling' the world beyond the Gateway and nearly dying there due to a traitor? THE FUCK!).

Give me a person and I'll find a paragraph.

This law would make it too hard for traitors. Remember, antags make the game fun/interesting. And while I feel your pain about rounds being "ruined" by people goofing off, I think the law would push Paradise too close to HRP for most of its regulars.

There's also the issue of establishing intent. Getting lost, getting attacked, searching for tools, stopping to help someone, and countless other things that would be a legit reason to not be at your post--try explaining that to shitcurity.

Whatever happens, I beleive a player should never be brigged for dereliction of duty.

Strike 1: Formal warning, escourt back to department

Strike 2: Implanted with tracking device and/or loyalty implant

Strike 3: Demotion

Note that strikes wouldn't carry over from round to round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use