Suggestion for an addendum to rule 5

PPI

Add overuse of emagging doors to rule 5?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some time ago, the limited use of the E-Mag was removed, now that by it self is not that big of an deal, unless people go nutz emagging an unneeded amount of doors, then... it tends to go overboard.

While emagging doors to git your objective stolen/killed or w/e which is fine, emagging half a dozen or more doors seems somewhat redundant.

Now, for those of you who don't remember or just don't know rule 5, it goes like this.

5. Keep the station intact for everyone else to use:

The air is for everyone to breathe, the singularity is contained so it doesn’t eat the station and the power keeps the lights on for everyone. Don’t take these things away from the other players for your own enjoyment. If you happen to be an antag, you are required to consider which your actions are necessary to complete the objectives you have been given and which are not.

The addendum would be up to the heads of staff to discuss a properly worded solution, but my suggestion is:

"While Emagging a single door does not seems like much, there is no need to emag too many"

It's not perfectly worded, but it is a suggestion for you to think about.

Edited by Guest

An unlimited all-purpose instant hack that fits in your pocket for just 6 telecrystals? Sounds balanced.

No really, am I the only one that sees a problem with it?

I dont want to make a snowflake rule over one broken traitor item. Why make it infinite use if the rules prevent you from using it on everything?

Could you add to the poll a "balance the emag" option, please?

EDIT: thanks

I'm curious, since when did the players have any say in the rules at all?

Since the time we became a community? This is a suggestion not a demand for change

personally i am against the balancing the emags, cause that would be like balancing e-swords and bow, i mean sure, with those two items, you can single handedly murder the station without being stopped.

But people forget that the doors are part of the station, it's not really a snowflake rule, but to remind people that emagging counts too.

I like /tg/. Quite a bit.

I just don't like it shoved down our throats.

A little bit is fine.

ALL THE /tg/ THINGS is not.

We're not /tg/, and we will never be /tg/.

Just like we will never be Bay/ Goon/ Urist/ etc..

I'd personally like to see either the cost of an emag go up substantially, or for it to be reverted back to having limited uses. It's pretty unbalanced at its current cost, and seems to be the item every traitor buys instantly.

Give it a limit, rev up the price, or limit its usage range( Like only for doors, but in all honesty, emaging borgs, drones and other machines was always fun).

I already saw some ridiculous shit like a chemical that practically gibs the poor fuck, they are getting waaay too many tools to play with and get it way too easy.

Where are those times where you had to plan thoughtfully to make it nobody notice. I mean in one damn round someone just had a pistol, a large syndicate B and like a sleepy ben and gib pen, like what the fucking hell, and all they had to do was take the fucking bartenders brain out, which was me.

He gibbed the detective, fucked up the backside( which he really fucked up, realized nothing) , sleepy penned me and grabbed me away and killed me, just to kill an unarmed bartender... where are those damn times.

if you have an infinite use of emag, the effect is has should be finite, so an emaged door closed after 1 minute. an image borg resets itself after some time (memory loos included) and such stuff.

It needs to have limited uses, or it needs to have a significant cooldown period (several minutes).

I also think it should take time to hack most things; at least several seconds.

I like the cooldown idea.

Building on that, maybe it could be powered? starts with random 3-5 uses, can be charged to five like a taser/egun. Maybe make the recharger flash a orange or red colour to increase the risk of recharging it.

Personally, I'd suggest just adding a cooldown to the emag. Maybe a minute or two between uses? It would definitely discourage people emagging their way through a dozen doors to their objective.

Edit: And this has already been suggested. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

A big big part of the problem is how emags impacts doors, currently; the literally break the doors and make people have to repair them---it also leads to the stupid welding tool+emag = only RCD can remove it. Once reworked it'll function more like a door being actually hacked (and the lame emag+weld strat will be hugely nerfed)

The emag was always meant to be and was unlimited until Bay brought along its limited use mechanic for some reason; likely something to do with roleplay (especially since TG and Goon are both good at powergaming smashing and Bay...isn't).

It allows nuke ops to actually get to places they need without spending a good portion of their TC on C4 and it allows for traitors to also be able to break into the places they need to go; a chaplain is not going to accomplish a "steal the Head of Security's Jumpsuit" without an emag that has quite a few uses (or buying multiple ones and having no TC to spend on anything else) .

You do know a chaplain could literally get a (Or just use their box), some tools, insulated gloves (Optional, makes it a shitload faster.), a cloak device, and just hack their way (Via doors or walls, whatever.), grab the locker, hide it, break into the armory, take a single laser gun (Or, at this point, just order the limited use emag and emag the locker open. Whatever.), laser the locker open, and just be on their merry way, right? Emags just feel so damn lazy to me.

We keep adding so many 'I win' buttons, you may as well put one in the OOC tab and call it a day.

Also, what do you mean 'meant' to be? You make it sound like the code has some sort of sacred destiny. What's 'meant' to be is what the community as a whole desires. Everyone's opinion is important.

You do know a chaplain could literally get a (Or just use their box), some tools, insulated gloves (Optional, makes it a shitload faster.), a cloak device, and just hack their way (Via doors or walls, whatever.), grab the locker, hide it, break into the armory, take a single laser gun (Or, at this point, just order the limited use emag and emag the locker open. Whatever.), laser the locker open, and just be on their merry way, right? Emags just feel so damn lazy to me.

We keep adding so many 'I win' buttons, you may as well put one in the OOC tab and call it a day.

Also, what do you mean 'meant' to be? You make it sound like the code has some sort of sacred destiny. What's 'meant' to be is what the community as a whole desires. Everyone's opinion is important.

I agree with this, I don't like how changes are made for shit to be easier for players, I like the game to be hard, challenging, and reward those who use their knowledge and ingenuity to find easier ways into places other than shooting their way inn the front door.

As for the chaplain getting into the HoS office, remember when we redid the CE office area, and we were all talking about office balance and how every office needs to have at least one vulnerability? Yeah this is why.

An unlimited all-purpose instant hack that fits in your pocket for just 6 telecrystals? Sounds balanced.

I dont want to make a snowflake rule over one broken traitor item. Why make it infinite use if the rules prevent you from using it on everything?

Do we not have the version that has a chance to burn out after a couple of uses?

Do we not have the version that has a chance to burn out after a couple of uses?

Originally they had 10 uses or so, but were changed so that their uses are unlimited

The thing with emags that I find makes them balanced is this. Sure you can hack everything, but if a single person sees you, they'll know you've done something when the door lights flicker, a locker light sparks and turns black, a borg's cover flies open for a person with no access, an APC turns dark blue, jukebox turns red (Why would you do this?), hailers use voxtest2, so on. The emag isn't exactly stealthy, mainly because it leaves a large, highly noticeable trail to the user if anybody actually notices and cares. I'm more in favor of the doors actually just staying open/bolted shut for a set amount of time (maybe a few minutes), and then reverting.

I agree with this, I don't like how changes are made for shit to be easier for players, I like the game to be hard, challenging, and reward those who use their knowledge and ingenuity to find easier ways into places other than shooting their way inn the front door.

AMEN TO THAT, EMPRAHDAMNIT, AMEN.

Also don't tell me it's easy to catch an emagger, because unless you want to be caught, you will not emag stuff with people around you. And once emagged you need the detective to scan the thing, and 90% of the time he is too busy shooting the clown to bother with some door.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use