Admin complaint: Shockpoint

Illnyac

Admin(s) Key: Shockpoint
Your ckey (Byond username): AmShaegaar
Your Discord name (if applicable): Yatiyaya#0465

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 6/8/2019

Nature of complaint:
Misapplication of rules and abuse of power.

Brief description (tl;dr here. Just the critical elements):

After being asked, and trying to explain my side of things, I was simply called a liar about the happenings resulting in a perma-ban for 'self-antagging' by doing nothing pertaining to suchness.

Full description of events:

During a round on paradise station, I had been given all-access/exluding sec and command. And then proceeded (with the detective) to sit in the command meeting room, where the HoP(Whom was the CMO changed by genetics) joined and we started talking ICly. After some time, the HoP offered to add Sec and command to the ID, which I agreed to, and we both headed back into the meeting room, talked a bit, then went out into the bridge. This is when I saw the captain dead on the floor and their ID laying there. I had picked it up and gave it to the blueshield stating "Is actings captain now" Mistaking them for the acting captain, because they had informed me said ID was terminated, by them using the spare captain's ID. After which, many of them began arguing on command-coms about "The blueshield being appointed acting captain by CC" When I had never once said I was from CC or am CC (The quote pulled for my ban being "Voxxy is employeds to taking care of navy problems. Is just using cyberaids as scenic route" Which was not even part of the conversation and said some 10+ or so minutes prior.) And I repeatably kept saying I was GOING to CC.
During all this, BryanR had made an announcement regarding Acting-captain and such, while also including "There is a person impersonating CC, please locate and execute them" Afterwhich shockpoint contacted me and issued the ban, while after I tried explaining my side, simply called me a liar.

I was not self-antagging. I was not impersonating CC. I was not appointing anyone Captain. And I 'was' banned over something that could have, and already was, being handled IC.

Reason: Self-antagging with an all-access ID, while lying directly to me about not impersonating Central Command and appointing the Blueshield or other Command personnel to Captain without actual authority. "Voxxy is employeds to taking care of navy problems. Is just using cyberaids as scenic route" This really tells me otherwise. With your history and hours, you should really know better about these things. .

Due to me being the one becoming the captain I'd like to also tell how I saw the story.

Prior notice: It was all in all a confusing moment on the bridge due to the rapid changes. We have had quite a few of direct CC interventions. Including CC officers coming onboard to deal with IC matters. So seeing an undercover CC agent wasn't out of the question.

The person in question, referred to as "the mime" from now on came on the bridge when CC just recently executed the captain. We were talking about the recent events with a few others. The magistrate and the HoP which I called forth to become the acting captain (And had been actively giving out all access ID's). The HoP was hesitant at first, or otherwise unresponsive so I asked the HoS prior as well. The HoP didn't take the job instantly when asked to when he was on the bridge so nobody was acting captain at the time.

The mime at one point said that I was to be acting captain. Then after a bit he gave me the terminated ID and told me to keep it safe. After which I asked if he was really CC but he didn't respond to that by saying he was. I asked him something about just being crew to which he responded to look at the manifest where he indeed was not on. For me this was ICly enough evidence that he was a CC officer (Impersonation due to the confusion). I became captain and the mime didn't say a word after even when asked for his authenticity. I messaged CC about it and at the same moment a CC announcement came up that the mime was indeed an impersonator yet I was to keep the job.

The HoS being on the bridge in a mech didn't follow up on the arrest warrant I ordered to him once I got the message. Then the mime got notice of it and ran into space. Logical I'd say because he was wanted for death.

My own view on this:
The feeling I was getting this whole time was that he didn't mean to cause bad chaos. Just a bit of minor chaos. And the captain appointing thing might have been an accident. This feeling mostly is based on that he went fully silent when the heads were arguing if it was valid or not. If he indeed was to self-antag in this case then he would have made things worse. I think the IC response to this was fully valid and made the story better. Yet I don't think a ban would have been necessary deciding on this case alone.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. Since I was the admin involved, I will not be handling this, but I will be providing my input.

You, as a non-antagonist, acquired all access from an antagonist HoP. While that is fine for him to give it to you, what you do with it afterwards becomes your issue, and ours. You proceeded to imitate a Central Command officer that had taken a vacation to the Cyberiad on their way back to the Trurl. You also then had command and security communications that you should not have had, but proceeded to use. The incident had then happened, and when contacted about it, you denied all allegations, which was lying to me about the situation. You clearly said that you were from Central, which you were not, and proceeded to throw this taken-for-granted authority around. While yes, the other players should not have done so, this should not have happened to start with. As you had lied to me in PMs, I had decided to place the ban and allow you to appeal it later.

It appeara you had an all access ID labelled as "undercover officer", which would be an impersonation of CC. Hence why people believed you were a CC officer, and capable of appointing a blueshield as acting captain - giving someone an ID from a captain and saying "is acting captain now" very much comes across as you appointing them.

You stating you were employed to take care of the navy problem also implies you're from CC.

Im not sure how this all together wouldn't be taken as you being from CC. You sure don't appear to be a mime (what with talking and all), so I'm not sure what you were trying for.

If this was a misunderstanding, it can be cleared up in an appeal. But i see no wrongdoing by shock here - i would.come to the same conclusion given the same facts.

• explodyparrot 1

Although Neca already resolved this AC, I would like to add:

• I agree that you were impersonating a CC officer. You had all access, you said you were not on manifest, you said "Voxxy is employeds to taking care of navy problems. Is just using cyberaids as scenic route" implying you were not crew, not based on the Cyberiad, and were involved in NT navy matters, and you refused to say you weren't a navy officer when you were point-blanked asked if you were or not. In this sort of situation, saying "I never explicitly stated I was a navy officer" is no defense. Your actions taken together led those people interacting with you to the inescapable conclusion that you were a navy officer, and when they asked you for confirmation you refused to say otherwise.
  • The correct way for you to have dealt with this ban was to accept that you were impersonating a navy officer, apologize, and refrain from doing similar things in future. If your intention was never to impersonate a navy officer, then you should have just said "no, I am not" when you were point-blank asked if you were. Overall, your behavior comes across as trying to have all the perks of being treated like a navy officer whilst still maintaining plausible deniability by saying you never explicitly stated you were one. That won't fly. If your actions cause other people to THINK you are a navy officer, and you refuse to say otherwise, then you're impersonating a navy officer, regardless of what you state your intention was. In a similar vein, if your actions cause sec to have to spend a large amount of time dealing with you as a non-antag, then you're self-antagging, regardless of what your intention was at the time. It is the effect of your actions that matters, not the intent. So, you can't get out of this by arguing about what you did or did not intend. Were it possible to escape consequences by arguing about intentions, EVERYONE would do that.
  • Your general attitude needs a lot of work. As part of this process you've blamed everyone involved here but yourself. You've blamed Shock, you've blamed Neca, you've put the blame on essentially everyone except yourself for this ban. There comes a point where you just have to admit that you made a mistake, own up to it, and try to make it right. We're WELL past the point you should have done that. Had you simply admitted "yeah, I should not have done that" when Shock originally contacted you, then you probably wouldn't even have got a ban for it. Instead, you've made it worse for yourself at every turn by attacking and attacking the conduct of others without ever admitting your own behavior could have been better. You may have taken offense to Shock saying that you were lying, but, well, that's how you came across. Intentionally or not, your behavior was not what we want. It is your responsibility to accept that and look to change your behavior in future, not blame others for applying consequence for your actions.

• explodyparrot 1

• Abydos locked this topic