The Paradise Sound Project

Ataman

Hey everybody

After some consideration I finally decided to open up this little project. In order to make SS13 more lively I'd like to create and add sounds to various things people do on our beloved station.
I can't do it alone though. I'm still a noob gameplay wise and have no clue about how many things you can actually do in SS13 so I need your help. Post ingame messages you think need or could use a sound. Don't worry about finding it in the source code, I've got that covered.
Feel free to post your opinions as well of course.

For organisational purposes I created a little list on my webserver to keep track of what is done and what isn't: http://bhtp.net/paradise_sounds/

If you think there's stuff on there that actually doesn't need a sound post that too!

Once it's populated with a few or a lot of sounds I intend to open a PR(or multiple PRs) on Github for those that are done. It's probably going to be in multiple parts as more and more silent actions in need of noise are unconvered.

Everybody is welcome to help making those sounds as well. Send me a PM if you have the know-how or just want to try it.
I'll also try to answer any questions you have of course.

Yawning, farting, burping...let me shorten this: Any *emote that involves air entering or leaving your body from some orifice.

I'd also love if Unathi had an audible hissing sound when they talk in the same way vox have an audible shriek at time when they talk.

Edited by ZN23X

23 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

Yawning, farting, burping...let me shorten this: Any *emote that involves air entering or leaving your body from some orifice.

We don't need sounds for the fart emote. Ever.

yawning would be fine though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

We don't need sounds for the fart emote. Ever.

Can put a long cooldown on it. I'm sure people wouldn't use it any more than say...screaming.

Slimes essentially already fart when they *squish.

Edited by ZN23X

Just now, ZN23X said:

Can put a long cooldown on it. I'm sure people wouldn't use it any more than say...screaming.

To quote Flattest Guitar a while back on the discord;

"We're trying to pretend this place has standards"

Maybe I should put a second list labeled: "Questionable noises" below the first...
Personally I don't have any issues with creating yawns, farts, burps and other 'air related noises' but I'd prefer some staff opinions on that one first.

Edited by Ataman

Keep in mind the sounds also need to have some form of free license that allows Paradise to use it.

Also, fart noises were removed for a reason. They're juvenile and serve only to bring the RP level of the server down.

Screaming is quite a bit different than farting. To be blunt, it's middle school level humor I don't believe we need here. Elsewise we'll have a bunch of people spamming the emote (regardless of cooldown).

Burping I'm on the fence about. It's not quite as bad but... eh?

Yawning I'm completely fine with.

• Like 2

I had a very similar idea, but never actually got around to it. Noise is a great way to add to the atmosphere of the station. (geddit?)

Light switches, and regular switches.

The particle accelerator (would be good to have increasing types of audio dependent on the level.

Departmental tape placement & removal.

18 hours ago, Tayswift said:

Keep in mind the sounds also need to have some form of free license that allows Paradise to use it.

Also, fart noises were removed for a reason. They're juvenile and serve only to bring the RP level of the server down.

I do intend to create the sounds myself which will come with a CC BY-SA license. (probably with NC as well since I don't want to see my work sold by someone else).

Edit:
@Purpose2 I'll put switches and tape to the list as well as the particle accelerator altough I'm not sure about the increasing audio level thing done.

Edited by Ataman

I think the AI need the most support in this case. For an AI player the whole round is completly silent. Besides of explosions and people walking in his core. So I think the Ai room needs a ambient sound like this : 

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, BiberDark said:

I think the AI need the most support in this case. For an AI player the whole round is completly silent. Besides of explosions and people walking in his core. So I think the Ai room needs a ambient sound like this : 

Reveal hidden contents

I personally enjoy the quiet, especially considering how it makes it easier to detect breakins.

That, and it's quite relaxing.

The AI is quiet because you're not actually playing the AI.

In actuality, the AI is a near useless mob that sits in the core 24/7 and doesn't really do anything, ever.

In actuality, there's a special "camera" mob (yes, that's what it's called) that can look around a whole bunch of places and can interact with the world around it based on rules.

That's what the "AI" actually is, and why you can hear doors opening near your core, but can't hear anything else.

I just have music in background when i play AI. Theres litteraly no need for ambience.

The borgos should get a rolling sound though since they are pretty OP and silent at the same time so knowing they are coming would really be nice.

28 minutes ago, Fox McCloud said:

In actuality, the AI is a near useless mob that sits in the core 24/7 and doesn't really do anything, ever.

Synthetica would like to have a word with you.

The AI is a hard thing to judge for me as I never played it (and probably won't in the near future). Ambient sounds are difficult too. They would've have to be composed at random so they don't get on your nerves after 2 minutes and they also convey zero information to the player. I would imagine most AI players will go and just turn them off if given the chance.

@DeadBySmiley
Giving borgs a rolling sound (like security has footsteps) probably deserves being discussed in its own thread since it really nerfs them quite a bit. It's also a bit more complicated since they have legs depending on the sprite.

No AI ambience then. (At least not from me or this project).

Some feedback about the volume would be appreciated. The Particle Accelerator sounds feel too quiet but I'm not sure if my headphones are at fault or if I start going deaf... Nevermind, they're way too quiet.

Quick status update: I'm moving into a new flat this week and after that I'll start creating the more real sounds.

Edited by Ataman

On a related note, I have a hardware setup that lets me do high quality recordings and modulate them in real time. So recording a new, Male AI voice is within the realm of possibility if we could ever work out a system that lets the AI choose what voice they want.

47 minutes ago, Ziiro said:

On a related note, I have a hardware setup that lets me do high quality recordings and modulate them in real time. [...]

So do I, but why you would modulate anything in real time? Usually you record something and then modulate the recording...

About the AI thing: Personally I think voicing the AI can't be done right without using up tons of data. The current voice alone uses 6 MB, that's huge for what's basically a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, the idea of another AI voice by itself is great. I just don't think we can afford another 6 MB just so the AI can choose a different voice.

On 2017-06-23 at 5:11 AM, DeadBySmiley said:

I just have music in background when i play AI. Theres litteraly no need for ambience.

The borgos should get a rolling sound though since they are pretty OP and silent at the same time so knowing they are coming would really be nice.

I would be all for a faint humming sound as borgs move around.

10 hours ago, Ataman said:

So do I, but why you would modulate anything in real time? Usually you record something and then modulate the recording...

About the AI thing: Personally I think voicing the AI can't be done right without using up tons of data. The current voice alone uses 6 MB, that's huge for what's basically a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, the idea of another AI voice by itself is great. I just don't think we can afford another 6 MB just so the AI can choose a different voice.

I don't like to mess around with post effects - real time tweaking is more fun. I prefer the collection of actual hardware to work with. It also lets me use it for things like teamspeak and discord.

8 hours ago, ProperPants said:

Okay, so we're not gonna add a fart sound, but the real question is, are we gonna give "*moan" a sound?

Would you like to volunteer so we get an accurate *moan from a pair of ProperPants?

@Shadeykins
Do you mean like a transformer humming?

Little beeps and boops for pressing buttons on computers would be nice, huge atmospheric change from CM that I love.

Sounds for putting things on tables or dropping things on the floor.

If we're going for general immersion / atmospheric improvements I have to submit the idea of not being able to write on paper in your hand as well as items being knocked around when you drop them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use