New Station - Ragnarok Station [WIP]

Twinmold

As it has started to come to be known, I've recently taken up the mantle of making a new station to better support large job distribution and to have more space to better spread the large number of people currently present on the NSS Cyberiad. It's design features many things present in other servers, things that many people have requested be done for a new server map. The common complaint with Metastation I've heard isn't that the map is large, for it is, and does have things in its design that I support, including a new layout, but that it's chalk full of bugs, has 'too much' making it seem more crowded than necessary, and that the map seems put together too much like a game of Tetris. My understanding of it is that Metastation itself is not an original map, as it was taken elsewhere, and was being re-purposed for Paradise. This has lead to a number of inconsistencies, in remapping, adding things, and reworking systems, having lead to the 'too stuffed/crowded' feel and bugs that have been being handled by Fethas to make the map workable, something many people agree would be good as we'd have another working map, able to change the meta of the game slightly by change maps occasionally.

The intention of the construction of Ragnarok Station isn't to replace the NSS Cyberiad, but to create a new station to have a new play style through the usage of the map itself, and spice up the game with a fresh environment. Mechanically, only a couple of things change, and these changes are only map-related rather than code related. One such change is giving each department their own power substation, rather than all departments running off the main grid. What this does is allow a few different checks and modifications to the way admins can interact with a department as well as antagonists going after a department. Before, if you cut the power, it's going to start knocking out pwer to the entire station, and there wasn't a 'safe' way to do so short of breaking into engineering and turning off the SMES machines, otherwise you'd need gloves or a power outage to take power lines down or break into a department with ease, presuming the engine or solar arrays were not hot-wired to the grid. With the addition of department substations, you can, as long as you know the wires before-hand to break into a substation through the doors, simply turn off the SMES to the department and watch as the APCs slowly drain. With a power-sink, you don't have the exact same freedom, however, that you had before, but you can quickly drain any department of all power rather than having to slowly drain the entire station just to get to the one room you were after. Hooking up a power-sink to the main grid would deny all departmental SMES machines any input of power and knock out all of service rather quickly. It gives a more focused attack on a department rather than general station, excluding doing so to the main power grid.

This adds an additional check, though, for admins in doing so, as it has been tossed about to be able to see how much a department takes in actual power, to see where we'd like to increase power usage of machinery to make power slightly more realistic, such as increasing the power costs to use a cloning machine. How much is reasonable, however, remains to be seen and requires see what the actual affect on a department this would have. In doing so, upgrading SMES machinery will also be more of a probably venture for science and engineering, and could even support making it so that departments are more likely to adjust their input/output ratios to support their department or turn non-critical systems off to conserve power, changing the dynamic of the game's engineering systems, a thought that has been entertained recently.

I am currently looking for any suggestions people have for what they'd like to see in this new station, design-wise. Once I have the time, I'll add some pictures of the layout of various areas I have so far. I'm not saying I'm taking all suggestions, but if I like one, I'll see if I can implement it. Same for changing anything that is already laid out, as I want to have the station layout ready before I do any major item additions and what have you other than piping, wires (and APCs), doors, and 'general' appliances (lights, light switches, fire alarm, air alarms, etc) before adding in the major tables, objects, etc, so we know how an area will look before we put the final touches in and get adjustments out of the way.

https://github.com/Twinmold93/Paradise/tree/RagnarokStation

Some current points of notice are:
- Polaris Docks: Escape and arrivals are both on the same side of the station. You can still bomb Docks 1 and 2 while making it possible to leave the arrivals shuttle between Dock 3 and 4 (bombing Dock 2 will make Dock 3 unsafe, but leave Dock 4 untouched).
- More Maintenance: Maintenance tunnels around the station are generally larger than now, in they sprawl more and have more nooks and crannies. More rooms and more space for construction for both engineers and crew (with permits)!
- Departmental Substations: Changing the mechanics of power via just a map change, departments now have their own power sources, fed by the main grid. Now, you can cut the power to an individual department or just ignore safety regulations and hook up the department to the main grid.
- Port and Starboard Pod Bays: Highly requested by many people was making the mechanic more directly able to interact with crew, by giving them more direct access to the very crew. Making the mechanics office directly adjacent to the Starboard Pod Bay gives them just that, but now you also get a pod bay on the Port side so you don't have to go all the way around just to enter the station!
- No More Engineering and Science Outposts: In this design, the engineering outpost is no longer implemented, leaving many to wonder "Why?" In a sad truth, it serves no actual purpose and is practically unused other than for antagonist, much like the Science Outpost. In that regard, both are not being included. This is, however, PENDING in design, as I may add in the Science Outpost to be for Xenobiology and/or Toxins Testing, making the station itself have less science on it. In the case of Nations, this would mean Science's direct weakness would be Cargo. Depending on necessity, the Labor Camp may also not be added back in.
- More Escape Ways: With the change of where the general port of the station is, where the arrivals and escape shuttle are, it'd make sense for there to be more larger pods on the station, capable of carrying crew away in case of emergencies. As such, medical and security both get a public-access large escape pod each, opposite sides of the station from each other. Makes moving the injured and hardened criminals safer.
- With More Escapes Means More Entrances: As the station is designed around having more access points to it, it'd make sense for the Emergency Response Team to also get at least one more point of entry. Not only can they dock all the way down at Dock 1, they can also dock right next to security. This changes the balance a bit by giving them options, rather than just being awaited all the time at Arrivals.

Naming Scheme (Norse Mythology):
- Central Command, NAS Odin
- Main Station, NSS Ragnarok
- Tele-Comms, NXS Hermoth

- Escape Shuttle, NTV Vidar
- Cargo Shuttle, NTV Freya
- Syndicate Base, SRB Loki
- Syndicate Nuclear Shuttle, STV Tyr

*SLB = Syndicate Response Base
* STV = Syndicate Transport Vessel

Current plan is to turn the derelict station into an overgrowth situation, named Yggdrasil. The asteroid itself would be named Jormungandr due to its general hostility and size.

Current Layouts include:
- Arrivals: https://i.imgur.com/uqvTbng.png
- Cargo: https://i.imgur.com/GUnW1Tr.png
- Chapel, Library, and Visitor Dormitories: https://i.imgur.com/gKMvYv0.png
- Cryo Dorms, Holo-Room, and Locker Room: https://i.imgur.com/JuOtyU1.png
- Engineering: http://i.imgur.com/N4ApWJn.png
- Medical: https://i.imgur.com/vCGmCkR.png
- Science: https://i.imgur.com/rZqtG65.png
- Security: https://i.imgur.com/yetF7B1.png

The main station (z1) overall layout is pending and being reviewed to take a look at the station layout overall. Some rooms are fully decked out (minus pipes), some have just a few things, but both of these are few. Looking for feedback, including if I should move toxins testing to the asteroid to replace the science outpost. Of course, if Lavaland gets ported fully, I will have to update the asteroid again to allow it to work, but that's a necessary evil. Otherwise, I will be taking the current asteroid map and stripping the science outpost more likely than not. Once we decide what we are doing with Lavaland, we'll see what happens.

There is no turbine in this station design, though there is space near engineering for a Thermal-Electric Generator (TEG), including much of a burn chamber. The space vented room adjacent is used to make the cold loop, but you have to do it yourself. So get creative.

Got questions, ask!

Edited by Twinmold
Security Image Link
  • Like 7

I've seen the need for a bigger station, but I never did take a liking to metastation, so this is good news.

As far as suggestions go, only two come to mind. 

A centralized AI core, scrapping AI sat all together. This is more out of personal preference, since I find the AI sat a pain in general. That being said, I do think it would roll better, in the sense of being easier to get to by command while also being easier to repair. This would rid the AI of some security, since it will no longer be in solitude excluded from the main station. However if its easier for command/security to respond to threats to the AI core, is it really losing any security? On a side note, it would mean the AI really is the "heart" of the station.

Secondly, if the labor camp is added, streamline the process so its actually used by security. Of course that would mean making labor camp easy to get to and from while maintaining  a "safe" and secure work environment but still allowing the possibility of escape PLUS being easy for the warden/officer to keep a eye on the prisoner. All of which could be practically impossible to accomplish.

• Like 1

I'd be a fan of something different from Metastation. Paradise did a few Metastation tests yesterday and it has some aspects to it that are good but I feel it has alot of flaws, and I don't mean bugs, I mean design flaws. Overall I still feel like the current map is a superior design to Meta so I'd love to see a completely different design.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ZN23X said:

I'd be a fan of something different from Metastation

This.  Please.

I can't speak for the station as a whole, but I play primarily MD and was part of the test last night and holy shit, that Medbay is horrible.  There is no way it was designed for large populations, it's a claustrophobic nightmare. It's probably okay for an average population in the 30s but definitely not 50+ or even 100+.

• Like 1

Your links for cargo and engineering are identical, just a heads up.

I agree about integrating the AI sat.

One thing I'll add that I liked from Meta/Delta is that there's an Autolathe in the lobby of Cargo (or was it sci?) So that people who bring their own resources can print what they need without waiting for the AFK/SSD cargo tech to get back to them and/or breaking into cargo.

If you're also feeling particularly bold, I want to add that integrating Telcoms into the main station would also make things interesting.

Final note: Robotics needs a little help. Due to the number of IPCs that come through for repairs, it becomes a hectic and busy place very quickly in any sort of action scenario. I'd suggest adding a surgery table in the mech room with an analyzer and a toolbox. This will obviously be in view of the roboticist because of the windows. Perhaps adding more rechargers, as well: One in security (For SecBorgs), one in medical (For MedBorgs)

Edited by Ziiro
  • Like 1

First of: Bless you, you crazy bastard, for doing this. It's SORELY needed and a lot of work and time to do it.

As for suggestions: so far the only real one I have to make would be, in your medical image to swap the Psychiatrist and CMO's office, imo.
The CMO being against a maintenance wall gives antags a possible venue to carve their way in to steal objectives (Like the RD's office is now)
And MOSTLY because I think the more visible and forefront the psychiatrist is, the more likely they'll be to see actual, real use.  His new office is already a big improvement, but that's just my personal 2 cents.

Also, is the Detective going to be able to reach the Morgue back there or is he losing access? Because it seems like he'd need Medical access to get that far, not just Morgue access.

• Like 1

Is there a way to preview this map using the links provided and I'm just too dumb to figure it out? It sounds like it from other people's posts...

It'll be easier to pass judgement once it's more developed, but I'll say that, navigation-wise, it's a tad too messy for my tastes. Still, it's decent. And one has to make sacrifices when dealing with a larger population, I suppose.

Other observations:

• It reminds me of something from the Baysphere. This is neither good nor bad. It just is.
  • I quite like the medical escape shuttle.
  • Ditto the Polaris docks.
  • Medbay looks decidedly ungainly. Does it need to be so amorphous?
  • There's a cafe. That's cool.

Anyhow, we desperately need something like this, and I wish you the best of luck!

44 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

Is there a way to preview this map using the links provided and I'm just too dumb to figure it out? It sounds like it from other people's posts...

Mostly we just have the imgur links at the bottom of twin's post.

• Like 1

Thought on Medical, from someone who mostly plays MD (Although I am somewhat of a ss13 noob, only been playing a few months so take that into consideration).  I'm not a very good judge of aesthetics so my points will mostly be about function and mechanics.

Traffic is a huge concern for Medbay design. There are something like a dozen medical job slots, plus patients, visitors, loiters, rolling beds, and IVs all taking up space.  I'm not bringing it up just to be critical but rather because hall space is a big deal when you need to get a patient on a roller bed to surgery without having your pull broken a dozen times. That said, we don't want a huge amount of wasted space, either.  I think you've done a good job overall balancing that, but there are a few suggestions I have for tweaks when it comes to space to help reduce choke points and congestion during high pop rounds. 

The top horizontal hallway, the one leading directly to reception is 2 tiles wide, but the other main hallways are 3 tiles wide.  If anything needs to be 3 tiles, it's the hallway right after reception, as that's where most of the traffic is. Making the break room and CMO's office 1 tile shorter would be an easy fix, or you could just move them down a tile as the lower hallway is more suitable for being tighter as it will be less trafficked.  

The entrance from reception also seems a bit cramped. On the current map we have 2 entrances that are 2 tiles wide.  One leads to Cryo and cloning and one leads to sleepers and surgery, so the traffic is divided.  On this map, you have a 4 tile intersection between reception, cryo, med storage, and deeper into Medbay.  I expect as is, this will be a huge choke point as everyone coming in or out of the main entrance must pass through 1 or 2 of these tiles.  You could widen the area to 3 tiles, or perhaps extend reception downward a bit and add another entrance on the bottom part of reception, sort of like we have on the current map, only sideways.  The lower entrance would probably be lower traffic since it's only really convenient for getting to the sleepers, but it would help a bit, and server as an alternative way in and out in an emergency.

The ORs here are 5x6, the ORs on the current map are 6x6, and these feel cramped as a result.  I already think the current ORs are a bit cramped when you have a rolling bed and IV in the mix.

The ORs have a room behind them that appears to be for storage or the like.  The only way to them other than maintenance is via the surgery rooms themselves, which is a problem because you really don't want traffic through your OR while you're performing surgery. I also don't like having the freezers in a different room, I don't want to have to leave the room during surgery to get more blood or retrieve an organ.  Freezers can be moved of course, but then you lose a tile of space, so the room should ideally be designed around having a freezer if it's going to have one.

The current map has doors from the ORs directly into maintenance.  These suck as a doctor but are great for antags. I don't know if that makes adding a 'buffer' room behind the ORs a good thing or a bad thing overall. Just an observation, someone more experienced with antagging might want to add some insight into that.

Other notes/suggestions:

New Chem just looks way less cramped even though it's only slightly bigger. A little bit goes a long way, and the 3 tiles of table space built into the wall is nice. I don't work chem but I imagine this would be much nicer for them.  Not having to go through a cramped storage room to drop off meds is definitely an improvement, too. About the only possible downside is that it's very close to reception, meaning we only have the high trafficked reception doors plus 1 airlock separating the Clown from his Space Lube. I often see civvies managing to get into the anti-room right before MedChem, with this layout that would put them in Chem itself. Chemists will need to be vigilant. Also, the CMO can't just set the door to emergency mode when no Chemists are on shift so doctors can come and go without leaving Chem wide open to everyone.  I'm not really sure what the solution to that is, though. 

New cloning is way better, having more space and not being right next to the highly trafficked Cryotubes is going to be extremely helpful.  Logically, it's located right next to the morgue and genetics.  This is sorely needed, the current cloning area gets way too cramped too quickly.

Given the population on Paradise, I think we should consider having 3 ORs. As it stands, when pop is high we often fill both ORs and have a backlog. If one of the sets of surgery tools get stolen, things can spiral out of control very quickly when you have 1 functional OR serving 100+ people.  Obviously there needs to be room for Antags to mess with Medbay, and a certain amount of chaos is needed to keep the round interesting, so resources should be limited, but I think a third OR is reasonable.

If the staff feels this is too many resources for Medbay to have, then maybe have an unfinished OR that engineering and Medbay can fix up each shift and order tools for. This way there is kind of 2.5 ORs, and it gives engineering and Medbay something to do. Sort of like how the Brig Physican needs to build their medbay up. 

In addition to the above, perhaps we could have 3 sleepers instead of 2? You gave us 3 Cryotubes, which is great!

The Cryotubes are very close to the entrance, which will be inviting for Graytides to just run by doctors and throw themselves in.  It's not any worse than it is currently, but it's something to consider since you're doing a new map anyway. On the other hand, since Cryo is preferred for critical patients, having it near the entrance is logical. I also like that they are near the fridge, so you won't have people dragging corpses/critical patients back and forth through Medbay like currently.

There are 3 body scanners shown, which is 1 less than there are on the current map.  I think there should if anything be more, again, given Paradise's population. One near the Cryotubes would be nice, since patients admitted in critical condition often go to Cryo first, and those patients are most likely to require a scan for internal injuries. Maybe an extra one in a bad spot no one uses, so the Brig physician can steal it? Just kidding. (Not really)

I love that Medical gets it's own escape pod. Not only is it great mechanically, but lore wise it makes sense for us to have a pod, rather than having to drag someone who is hurt down the halls on a rolling bed.  It would make sense to have easy escape access to a place that deals with hurt and disabled people. Plus this way I don't have to take the same shuttle as the plebs.  My character didn't go to Medschool for 8 years to fly coach!

• Like 2

@Rurik

I have yet to decide where I want to put the AI, though there are both good and bad reasons to move the AI to the station itself. Current AI is actually not that hard to repair when terminated, and moving the core is very simple. The AI being off station gives it an extra layer of security against MOST antags trying to take it offline, but more input about if we should move it station side would be appreciated from a lot more community members, as right now I was intending to make it a bit easier for security to access by putting the satellite access connected to a main hall near security.

Making the labor camp shuttle closer to the prison wing would give it more visual, and likely more use, so we'll have to see. A camera monitor meant to just monitor the labor camp might be a good addition for watching it.

@Ziiro

Having an auto-lathe in direct access to the crew could be a good or bad thing, as it makes things that are uncommon much more common. This includes ammo for some guns. I'd like to hear more feedback from the community about this. As for tele-comms, that's remaining off station, though will likely be changed a little bit.

For robotics, I could add a second OR table, add the 'space' for mech storage (one for medical, one for security) as well as more borg chargers (one in security at least, one down by cargo, still one in engineering). Robotics will be right next to medical, so there won't be need to add one to medical itself. There would also need to be one near arrivals, perhaps the security checkpoint.

@Dinarzad

I can change medical a little bit, possibly move the CMO's office a little bit. However, I'm not sure how well that'll go overall. I'll see what I can do. However, I do feel it's also unnecessary in that the items the CMO normally has are ALWAYS on the CMO (it's probably the only full set that you should always have with you). However, putting the psychiatrist up front might be nice, but having the patient ward right there also supports him checking up on patients with break downs. Since his office overlooks a main hall of medical, he'll immediate be more prominent, rather than being in the back of medical like the Cyberiad.

The Detective and Chaplain, in current design, would have to go through maintenance. Both should be talking to reception first, anyway, so medical knows they are there rather than just waltzing into the morgue because they can, so doing it this way makes it more suspicious of them if they do access through maintenance, but also supports vampires being able to get blood without resorting to having to stun/cuff/kill every time. Breaking into the morgue still requirements them, at least until they can jaunt, opening the door, which would be immediately noticeable to genetics and anyone in the cloning room.

@EvadableMoxie

My main character is actually a doctor major, and I've spent a LOT of time in medical over the last year and nine months. Overall, I'm trying to make something that looks nice but also still works functionally.

You are right, I should increase the little hallway there a little more, or add in another way in on the opposite side (which would be smarter, honestly, as it moves medical up slightly and adds more space overall for medical expansion in the future). The break room and CMO's office should be moved down one, which works well in clearing up the main hallway. The Operating Rooms are smaller as some of the items inside are not necessary. It is possible, however, to make them one tile wider without affecting the maintenance too much (push it out one more) which would get rid of the 2x2 wall section by the power substation. The back room is a pre-operation room, ICly to get a patient ready for surgery proper, as well as including more basic items and patient personal closets for their gear to protect their gear from the random greytide just walking it. It's the say for having the patient personal closets in cloning. The back room also makes it possible for antagonists to steal some medical supplies or attempt to steal someone/give antags a drop location for people. Overall, that room is ONLY for some extra equipment, roller beds, and RP-wise preparing a patient proper for surgery.

For chemistry, that's not much an issue as even in current chem they just break the windoor and, boom, they are in. Don't even need to enter medical proper. Nothing changes from that, as no one should be entering medical storage anyway if they aren't a doctor or chemist. This just makes moving medicines that much easier. We also don't want to keep the design the same, so this gives more risk to the CMO not monitoring chemistry if they unlock it, which they shouldn't be doing anyway.

The extra space for cloning would help with adding/upgrading cloning as well as processing bodies, since it's right there with the morgue, instead of across the hall. I will not be adding a third operating room, but the plan is to add a full surgery crate inside the storage room in the back of medical, in case tools are stolen or medical needs to set up another operating table somewhere (get creative!). 2 sleepers is enough, as they also get 2 inside their personal escape pod! Mind you, the pod itself IS public access, but I could possibly add a lock for it that requires someone with a medical access ID to at least unlock the airlock (or just hack it open!). Thoughts on this, people?

I should add in an examination room, but it's also not quite necessary as is, as it is almost never used. Depending on how I go about it, I could make medical sprawl a little bit more north, moving science a bit more to the east. The one near the paramedic's office is meant for critical patients coming in, so they can quickly be scanned, stablized, and then moved immediately to surgery. That way they don't have to look through the front of medical, which is a bit more fore in the station.

Of course, this is all still a work in progress. Security-side of the station will also have a small docking area, one for an escape shuttle pod over there and a second ERT access point.

All I'll say is this.

Please, please, please favour vertical over horizontal design. Horizontally oriented rooms in SS13 almost never look right given the shaky appearance of a lot of sprites on east/west orientation. Maybe this is subjective, but north/south layouts and north/south sprites always tend to be more aesthetically pleasing.

I've previously mentioned this on another map thread. I forget what or when it was, I know it was just sometime ago.

But here are my cliff notes for new map...

• Everything on one map. I don't care if we have Outposts or not. But keep them all on the same Z level, including mining. Have the station part built into an asteroid or have a travel tube link to a small mining outpost. By small I mean like the one on the western part of the mining asteroid. If needs be extend mining from the station into another Z level but always have the 2 Z levels connected so it's still "one asteroid" so to speak.

• Make space more interesting, have more it, keep the random spawning of space on every map load. As a mechanic. I can navigate all sectors of space easily as I've learnt their exact locations from the station and what direction to fly in.
  1. To the above point my advice would be, get rid of big sprawling structures like the construction site. (You mentioned this)
  2. Make the derelict station even more derelict by basically breaking it in half and moving one half of it from side of the Z level and the other side.
  3. Move the DJ Listening post/Clown crashed ships/Syndicate base/Abandoned and Derelict Teleporter to another Z level and somewhere off the centre of it (trust me it's harder to find stuff in the middle)
  4. Add a few additional small asteroid base/space station type structures. Such as an 'Botany Bay', 'Bluespace Research Station', 'Lifeform Research' with LIVE xeno facehuggers.

• Make maintenance, more, maintenancy. I don't mind the secret rooms or the unused areas. What I do mind is that sometimes maintenance doesn't make all that much sense and some others have said this before.
  1. Maintenance would benefit better from having the unused spaces scattered around it more. Don't have maintenance unused spaces be in just two sections of the station (See Cyberaid Science and Chapel Maintenance compared to Cargo / Arrivals maint)
  2. Have Maintenance be a near continuous loop around the station. There can be gaps like primary corridors and departmental division access (such as Toxins and Xenobio access areas)
  3. Actually use Maintenance, have primary power station wires, atmospherics go through maintenance. There is tonnes of examples in Cyberaid where supply pipes go through departments and ESPECIALLY disposals which is my biggest bug bear of the station design.
  4. Allow room in maintenance for people to make modifications to the above as well. So room for another set of disposal pipes for instance.
  5. Avoid 1 tile wide maintenance tunnels. I actually don't mind straight tunnels, but I do mind 1 tile wide tunnels. Bends and curves can be 1 tile wide.

• IF the station is huge. Could we have a couple of permanent teleporters on the station from round start? All the really need to do is Teleport someone from one end of the station to the other, or if not that, a fast transit system of some kind to get from side to the other?

• Touching on Atmospherics, disposals and power. please please please. Make all wires, atmos pipes etc come from primary corridors inside departments. For example, looking at Cyberaid's RnD Divison. There really should be a supply pipe, scrubber pipe all coming from the maintenance between Xenobio and the main RnD area. Up into RnD and down into xenobio where it can branch off from there into vents for rooms and the main corridor. If people are repairing it, it is more intuitive to repair it that way.

• Finally do not put pipes through walls or windows. Always have them come under doors and especially under maintenance doors.
Edited by Taaketa

On 3/24/2017 at 0:26 PM, Taaketa said:

I've previously mentioned this on another map thread. I forget what or when it was, I know it was just sometime ago.

But here are my cliff notes for new map...

• Everything on one map. I don't care if we have Outposts or not. But keep them all on the same Z level, including mining. Have the station part built into an asteroid or have a travel tube link to a small mining outpost. By small I mean like the one on the western part of the mining asteroid. If needs be extend mining from the station into another Z level but always have the 2 Z levels connected so it's still "one asteroid" so to speak.

Lavaland's imminent arrival makes this extremely unviable, to say the least. Besides, keeping everything on the same z-level is very counterproductive when one's aim is a significantly larger station. And while the other two outposts are rather pointless, mining works rather nicely on another z-level. You've got plenty of space that you wouldn't otherwise have, and it makes for a remote, dangerous job.

Just some things that I'd like for the Engineering department. May seem a bit much but it's bound to happen anyways.

• Piping rework in Atmospherics
  • TEG Engine area
  • SM Engine area

Even as half shitly built the Engine areas would still give them something to do while providing an area to do it. Sorta like the assembly line was being just barely built which allowed for you to do anything. Hell not even used for assembly sometimes.

Plus the piping rework because the current is so terribly bad and can be confusing for a lot of people from how overly complicated it is.

I like what I see so far... Make the bar nice and fancy, I like the metastation club area so maybe use that as inspiration? Some people have said that because of the sheer size of the station getting around may be hard, which is true. Maybe add some kind of transportation system if possible? On the current station science sometimes builds a quantum teleporter setup that can take people to all the major areas of the station, but that seems TOO easy to get around, maybe a small public pod that can quickly jump to different parts of the station? Either way it's nice to see keep up the good work Twin.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, Jared12100 said:

Maybe a small public pod that can quickly jump to different parts of the station?

A station wide tube system like the Cyberaid currently has on the research outpost possibly? Travel around like it's Futurama. Not sure how complicated that is to add but the resources obviously already exist.

Or a "Disposals" transportation system like some engineers/atmos techs sometimes already make for fun.

Can be either positive or negative depending on your view but the potential for sabotage on either is tremendous.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZN23X said:

A station wide tube system like the Cyberaid currently has on the research outpost possibly? Travel around like it's Futurama. Not sure how complicated that is to add but the resources obviously already exist.

Or a "Disposals" transportation system like some engineers/atmos techs sometimes already make for fun.

Can be either positive or negative depending on your view but the potential for sabotage on either is tremendous.

Personally, I'd leave a more barebones skeleton of it in place, if it's implemented and leave it to Engineering to finish constructing the rest.

It gives engineering something to construct, a goal to work towards when nothing is going wrong and one that not only they, but the entire crew can reap the rewards of, so you can SEE the engineers work first hand and experience a QoL boost because of it.  It's something you WANT them to build, as opposed to them making a personal fortress and so people may be less inclined to fuck with the project if it means trashing your own fast travel system.
(Or it'll be a beacon for fuck heads, iunno.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'd need Regens or a head staff to pin it, I believe. Could be nice, as it's something we need more work towards. I'll state that this moment, progress is a little slow as I have been utterly focused with studying and Arma 3, but I do have the base-line of security planned out. I just need to do perma and the bathrooms I want, really. Then the AI satellite is next.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use