Human bodyshields!

Shadeykins

Basically someone held from behind in a killgrab should be immune to falling over from stuns (they can't act in this state anyways) or crit, allowing the person to effectively use them to block tasers, disablers, and bullets until the person grabbed has expired or until they've been released.

Additionally the person performing the grab should be able to shoot over the person. This lends another layer/option for antagonists who can effectively grab people and use them as bodyshields, threatening people chasing them (if they can pull it off) to back down and retaliating if they don't. It also encourages people not to blindly rush in like idiots when those oh-so-rare hostage situations crop up.

It'd be balanced by the fact that getting one of these grabs on someone is actually pretty damn difficult in the first place, and that your mobility is limited while holding a person in this manner (making it really only ideal for maintenance corridors where you can't be flanked from the sides).

• Like 4

I sorta see antags do this already...except they do it with lockers. Welded ones are especially a pain cuz they'll drag it along maint and drop it at some corner where you need to either weld it n open or pull it out of the way to get past it.

But ya it would be cool to see this element added. Bit more realistic than the locker shield lol

Edited by ZN23X

I agree to this in general, but a few concerns:

- If the spaceperson holding the meatshield-hostage is able to shoot over their hostage, there should still be a risk of possibility of the hostage-taker being hit by frontal shots - either they get to hide fully behind their victim, or they expose part of themselves to shoot past their hostage - not both. I'm saying this because I imagine it would be disastrously easy for nukeops to advance down public hallways with a phalanx of crewmembers to soak up all the incoming fire. Likewise I could imagine powergaming sec+genetics using humanized monkeys in a similar manner during war ops. While you did mention crit/dead people wouldn't be usable as meatshields, I feel that simply limits the mechanic rather than addressing potentially fundamental problems.

- The idea of roleplaying a hostage situation is fun, but I'm really not sure it would be sustained by the community. While this is of course anecdotal - and by no means solid proof - last time I saw a 'hostage situation' play out on Paradise, security did not heed the potential threat of the hostage-taker, stumbled over each other trying to force their way in through the front door and ended up getting the hostage killed - all without the faintest attempt of negotiation and all in contradiction to the HoS pleadingly, insistently asking them not to do so. There wasn't an actual hostage in this case (the 'hostage' was Ian) though I somehow imagine that situation would have gone worse if there was an actual player at stake, rather than better.

• Like 1

I can see with the hit thing but it should apply to ballistics only otherwise security will just outspam the % chance with non-lethals.

As for nukies... It takes quite a bit of effort to get people in the kill grab, so I don't think that's an issue. Nukies are almost always flanked as well, which would negate a phalanx... Not to mention the sheer expenditure of time involved in getting three people in kill grabs who aren't busy bleeding out.

Nukies also require a high level of mobility and often have to flee from combat to re-situate themselves and before going at it again.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use