The Engine

Love-To-Hug

Anyone else feel like the setup-and-forget engines need to go away?

A lot of servers are ditching the singularity and tesla because they don't really provide any interactivity beyond roundstart and potentially releasing it... and personally, I've never considered a round where either was released to be fun.

I don't work engineering but I imagine that'd make being an engineer a bit more exciting. Not to mention the possibility of the station running out of power being more than just a random event that knocks out the power and gravity for a set duration of time would be neat.

What types of engines are other servers using?

Edited by ZN23X

Most engines invariably become set up and forget--even the most "intensive" care engines are usually optimized for low/no maintenance (supermatter) by the players.

Mostly because no one wants to sit around doing absolutely nothing but stare at a sprite changing every now and again and pushing a button or two every 10-15 minutes, and nothing more.

4 hours ago, ZN23X said:

I don't work engineering but I imagine that'd make being an engineer a bit more exciting. Not to mention the possibility of the station running out of power being more than just a random event that knocks out the power and gravity for a set duration of time would be neat.

What types of engines are other servers using?

If I recall correctly, most servers have removed the singularity all together and instead use the tesla since its easier and safer to use.

2 hours ago, James5734 said:

If I recall correctly, most servers have removed the singularity all together and instead use the tesla since its easier and safer to use.

That's what we'd like to get away from, ideally.

Maybe having some reason to not have too much electricity in the grid would be good. (And I don't mean the APCs arcing, that's at a stupidly high level) Like when the SMES are full; you get power surges because there's too much electricity in the grid.

...I think that's how it'd work realistically, at least. Not sure, I'm not an electrician.

If we used an SM people would just optimize it so that it doesn't have to be messed with because no one wants to sit around starting at the SM all shift. I think if we wanted a more interactive engine we would have to code in a completely new engine that needs to be maintained while being able to be monitored without sitting there all shift, ie through PDA, and an automatic radio system that will display when the engine needs to be messed with.

I have to say, as someone who had been playing atmos tech last few times I was on the sever, I always tried to set up a heat engine. Even that was a set and forget, I will say though it was fun to make. What if engineering had all, or at least more then two, of the engines but had to set them up completely, IE put the emitters in place too. To compensate for this, the SMEs in engineering would start charged and set up to account for the time it would take to set an engine up. I think that is about the most you can get from engines as all of them are set and forget, or can be made to be.

There's a couple faults with "make the engine more complex/dangerous".

One, new folks.You make an engine complex and dangerous, it will get messed up by new folks.  Depending on the "danger" level of the engine, this will end a round. How many 5 minute "round's over engine exploded" rounds would you tolerate?  Finally roll nukie commander, competent team, getting geared out with a cool gimmick and "Emergency shuttle called: engine's loose again".  This leads to my second point:

Our engines are fundamentally not dangerous.  Non-antag accidents don't end rounds, the admins clean it up, delete Sing/tesla, and round goes on.  Make things more complex, you make it more difficult for admins to "fix" accidents, and then, see Point One.

Ultimately, the more set and forget an engine is, the more dangerous it should be when it gets loose.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use